Hey fellas

PDA

View Full Version : Hey fellas

terrencemaddox
04-14-2008, 03:13 AM
I was just asked to do something that I am very excited and honored to do, which is picking up John Abercrombie and Andy LaVerne to take them to a radio station for a guest spot and then to a venue for a performance (I'm also helping them set up). I was given this chance because I am taking a course in university called Overview of the Music Business and I get credit for what my professor is calling a "mini-internship.

I do enjoy jazz, but I can't say that I listen to it often/know much about it, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me what I should listen to to really get a feel for what these guys do (at least for John Abercrombie). I don't need to know anything about their music for what I'm doing, but I'm really curious about it. Also, if anyone has any questions you want to me to relay to them let me know.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 02:14 PM
So, did you already do this? Sorry no one piped up to help you out or chimed in on this awesome happening, but TBH I don't know either of those artists.

terrencemaddox
04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Ah thanks for the reply. To be honest I wasn't sure if I would get any responses. To answer your question though, I will be doing this in a couple of days.

imgooley
04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Have you heard any of their stuff? And if you have, do you have any recommendations?

I'm always interested in new stuff, but I have never once heard of these guys.

terrencemaddox
04-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Well I was hoping to get some opinions on albums myself, but here is a youtube vid of them playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MhR19VaR6o

imgooley
04-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Wow, they are pretty good. Abercrombie can play.

Sorry that I can't help you though. Neil might know though, or Sinan90

terrencemaddox
04-16-2008, 02:21 AM
Nah man, I appreciate your replies :)

And yeah, I really like what I've heard of his playing so far.

Axegrinder#9
04-16-2008, 05:59 PM
yo yo John Abercrombie is the bomb - he's kind of like a proto - John Scofield. Incredibly hip guitar player man.

terrencemaddox
04-17-2008, 01:43 AM
That's awesome. I really like John Scofield (I only have Up All Night though).

theneildeal
04-17-2008, 07:12 AM
I can't say that i know much about them. But kudos on getting to pick them up!!

ze monsta
04-17-2008, 07:25 AM
They're pretty good, jazz isn't usually my thing, but I liked them a lot.

Dimebag22
04-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Nice man. I don't know really that much about those two but try not to crash the car, ok? :p:

terrencemaddox
04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Nice man. I don't know really that much about those two but try not to crash the car, ok? :p:
:haha That was a concern of mine to be honest. It's not that I'm a bad driver, but I still had visions of my car being flipped and having two jazz musicians giving me the slow clap as we waited for someone to get us out.

Luckily though, I got them were they needed to be and had the pleasure of experiencing John Abercrombie's humor in person.

Thanks for all the replies!