Floyd Rose Yes? No?

PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose Yes? No?

vengeance_elite
04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
To all of you floyd rose lovers and haters out there. Taking a survey to find out what you all like. Do you like a floyd rose on your guitar or do you hate it? you tell me.

I love floyd rose's couldnt live with out it...ill tell you.

jake911
04-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Woops nvm.

MetalMilitia212
04-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Floating trems are the devil. Non-locking FTW.

stratman_13
04-16-2008, 05:45 PM
They're fun, but I hate how long it takes to tune and change strings. And yeah, I know you get faster the more you do it, but still. I like just being able to thread mine through my bridge.

Chorduroy
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
To all of you floyd rose lovers and haters out there. Taking a survey to find out what you all like. Do you like a floyd rose on your guitar or do you hate it? you tell me.

I love floyd roses couldnt live with out it...ill tell you.

It's a pain in the ass at times but that is the price of having a floating bridge that works so well. :rasta:

vengeance_elite
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
when i first changed strings in my floyd rose it wasnt nearly as hard everyone else says it is well at least not for me...

DSOTM80
04-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Floating trems are the devil. Non-locking FTW.

You do realize that not all double-locking trem guitars are set to float right? You can have a Floyd Rose flush mounted.

MetalMilitia212
04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
You do realize that not all double-locking trem guitars are set to float right? You can have a Floyd Rose flush mounted.
You know what I mean. Double-locking = more trouble than it's worth.

vengeance_elite
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
it is well worth the trouble

DSOTM80
04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
You know what I mean. Double-locking = more trouble than it's worth.

No I don't agree. Think about it, take a guitar that has a flush mounted Floyd. Its the same thing as having a Strat tremolo only your tuning is rock solid and you can dive bomb the hell out of it without any worries. Now if your guitar is recessed routed for a floating Floyd then yes it can be a pain if you change tunings a lot and/or string gauges. A Tremel-No will help with that, but if you stay with the same tuning and string gauge then its fine. Its all personal preference really, not knocking your decision in choosing hard-tail by the way.

shredforbread33
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I really don't think it takes that long if you know how to do it.. I never understood why people bitch about it so much. The capabilities of having a Rose outweighs the time it takes to set it up by a long shot. I think people should be more patient before they make a decision of having a Rose or not.

.:Darkness:.
04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Its all going to be about what style the guitarist play. A metal / shred player will be much more likely to love a floating trem then say, a blues or jazz player.

vengeance_elite
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
No I don't agree. Think about it, take a guitar that has a flush mounted Floyd. Its the same thing as having a Strat tremolo only your tuning is rock solid and you can dive bomb the hell out of it without any worries. Now if your guitar is recessed routed for a floating Floyd then yes it can be a pain if you change tunings a lot and/or string gauges. A Tremel-No will help with that, but if you stay with the same tuning and string gauge then its fine. Its all personal preference really, not knocking your decision in choosing hard-tail by the way.

very well put i agree 100%

MetalMilitia212
04-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Nah, I don't mean hardtail, I mean vintage style tremolos. I find that anything that a double locking trem can do that a non-locking can't isn't very tasteful.

macaroni
04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
i like it when i need it, dont like it when its just there and i can't change tunings.

DSOTM80
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Nah, I don't mean hardtail, I mean vintage style tremolos. I find that anything that a double locking trem can do that a non-locking can't isn't very tasteful.

Yea thats cool, I understand where you're coming from. Personally I love the vintage style Strat tremolo's and the old school 50's Strat tuners.

miggyi
04-17-2008, 08:14 PM
My first experience with a floyd rose wasnt that great, i was in Dropped C with an ibanez... by the way is it a good idea to have a floyd rose if your in Dropped C?

shredforbread33
04-17-2008, 08:15 PM
My first experience with a floyd rose wasnt that great, i was in Dropped C with an ibanez... by the way is it a good idea to have a floyd rose if your in Dropped C?
I play Drop C all the time..
was it an Edge3 by chance?

miggyi
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I play Drop C all the time..
was it an Edge3 by chance?
I dont remember, i think it said floyd rose on it tho

Malarkatron
04-18-2008, 01:01 AM
I like having a floyd. I was worried before I got it with all the people saying how hard they are to tune and whatnot, but it actually wasn't that hard, tedious but not hard.

Dudage
04-18-2008, 01:49 AM
I would be lost without my Edge Pro. It's definitely a rock solid trem and I think all the things you can do with it make it easily worth the "trouble" involved.

quantum leap
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
My second guitar has a Floyd Rose-ish bridge on it - the Ibanez ZR. It's not quite a Floyd - not truly floating - but it's double-locking and recessed to pull up. The ball bearings and ZPS mean it's pretty stable and easy to set up, but there is a lot of resistance when whammying due to the extra springs. Dropping tunings are actually possible, though - it slides into drop-D without touching the springs, and I could put it into Eb without re-setting it up. It's easy to hold the bar in any given position, and wide-range vibrato effects are a breeze and fun, but for subtle effects, I prefer the non-locking trem on my Squier. For what it is, having a locking trem can be fun, if you have the right gear and play the right music.

Robchappers
04-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I just hate trems altogether mate! They get in the way of pure shred! :-)

timi_hendrix
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I voted "I hate it", but I don't really. I don't want or need one but I could put up with one if it was there, and would probably mess around with it a bit.

jm1681
04-18-2008, 12:09 PM
I used to love it, now I hate it.

I'd go so far as to call it laziness on my part, but I honestly never go for the bar when I play my guitar equipped with a FR.

For me, it just makes life more complicated.

TheDriller
04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I had one on a Jackson once, i hated it.
It gets in the way IMO.

also, i could never really get my head around the supposed "advantages" of having it.
In my experience it only ever sees use when your at a jam session, and in between songs one of the guitarists does a big dive-bomb while the basist is tuning up, then smiles to himself while everyone else carries on not giving a **** about it.

p-nutz
04-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I love and hate mine. It's no bother restringing and it does keep tune forever but with 2 guitars with trems and not doing any trem work I wish I'd bought a hardtail :rolleyes:

Platinum Pro
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
dude i love my Floyd Rose even though it's a pain to tune and change strings i love it esp when you bend the tremolo and it stays in tune :D it's soo awesome!

sashki
04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I never use trems, and if you don't really need one, it's pointless to have one cos they make re-stringing and set-up harder.

I like Fender-style bridges, cos they feel nice to rest my palm on. I want a guitar with that type of hardtail.
http://image.bizrate.co.uk/resize?sq=100&uid=668489985&mid=115085

That said, I like the effects you can make with them, but I never really learnt to make the most of them. They're cool, but not for me.

shredforbread33
04-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I never use trems, and if you don't really need one, it's pointless to have one cos they make re-stringing and set-up harder.

I like Fender-style bridges, cos they feel nice to rest my palm on. I want a guitar with that type of hardtail.
http://image.bizrate.co.uk/resize?sq=100&uid=668489985&mid=115085

That said, I like the effects you can make with them, but I never really learnt to make the most of them. They're cool, but not for me.
Yeah I like having a guitar with a Trem and one without cause it is time consuming to replace strings. But like you said the effects and stuff you can do can define your sound.

Bazilisck311
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I have one in order to play the music I like - if it wasn't required, I wouldn't have it.

Local666Union
04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Mah only problems with a floating bridge is the tuning and the inability to switch tunings without a set-up.
That's why I have 2 guitars.

sashki
04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah I like having a guitar with a Trem and one without cause it is time consuming to replace strings. But like you said the effects and stuff you can do can define your sound.
Well, I'd like to have one guitar that's good for everything I do. In the end it's all preference.

Riffomatic_5000
04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Actually, I love the Floyd, but I do prefer some guitars to be without it for tuning purposes, but I still love it.