Ultimate-Guitar Digital Music Platform

PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate-Guitar Digital Music Platform

Pages : [1] 2

matter
04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Hello everyone! The UG Team have a brand new idea for you guys to consider, and to be quick off the mark I will describe it below.

The idea is the Ultimate-Guitar Digital Music Platform. Yes, we want to sell mp3s, but becoming a clone of a common digital music retailer like iTunes is not the aim. Our goal is to let musicians that are not signed to a record label to be able to sell their music, which means both to be heard and to earn some money.

Here's the concept, in short:

Any band or artist who produce music that fits into quite wide style borders of Ultimate-Guitar.com and have a UG Profile can sell their music. The service is planned to be a separate part of the site, not a feature embedded in UG Profiles, and it won't harm the Profiles in any way. The tracks would cost less then in similar digital music stores, with almost all earnings going to the musicians, minus some little portion so we can cover our costs. The profit for us comes from nother things, to put it straight. For example, if an artist wants his release to be reviewed by an independent team of writers (the reviews are unbiased) and see it featured on the main page of UG, he has to pay a small fee. That means you pay for a main page promotion, basically (500K visits/day). Also, any act can buy a package of advertising within the website for its release (even for just one day) - we would setup special placements on all pages of the site for your promotion. We are also considering bringing in some kind of "premium" accounts for the bands and artists to give them more possibilities to promote their music.

This is just a basic idea so you can think on it and decide if you need it at all. All we want from you now is to express your thoughts, let us know if you'd use the service as a musician (selling the music) or as a customer (buying the music), or maybe both. Would you recommend this service to your friends? Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated, remember that we give you a chance to approve or deny a huge feature for the site! If you have better ideas about what you, independent artists, want - share them with us.

Please vote and drop us a line, thanks for you time folks :cheers:

gallagher2006
04-17-2008, 07:10 AM
I like the idea on paper, but will we still be able to stream music if we don't want to sell/buy it? Or would we have to use an alternative site for crits?

It sounds like it would be neglected to a certain point =S

Necromantix
04-17-2008, 07:10 AM
i think its a great idea, a good way to let musicians earn what they make! good job!

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 07:13 AM
This is a great idea, just a few questions

Would the seller set the price per song? or is UG having a set price
And im dare saying the "premium" package cost and how much
And finally just a thought, in your profile where ur songs are people just listen to the whole thing, so why would people buy songs if they can just come on instantly and listen
or would there be a new set up for this

Thanks

but this could be a good start for musician

Xeus
04-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a really interesting concept, theres alot of talented musicians here and i think this would be a great idea to get them some exposure and maybe a little bit of money. Good luck

benben88
04-17-2008, 07:20 AM
i think its an awesome idea..

would def think about selling tracks through ug....

much easier and more effective than getting a local store to promote your ****

Jesus Juice
04-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Sounds good.
Its actually a pretty good idea.

the_poison125
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Can we set how much we want to sell our songs for?
Is there any criteria to what we can upload?
How much for the advertising thing?

:cheers:

matter
04-17-2008, 07:31 AM
edited the first post to answer your questions regarding the Profiles!

if you want your music to be sold rather then streamed for free - just remove the tracks from your Profile or leave short clips of them (everyone will be able to preview songs in the "Store" itself though, which is quite obvious)

as for the pay cost question - it's too early to discuss it guys, this is just a concept at this point :) but I promise that the prices would be absolutely affordable

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 07:32 AM
thanks for that i look forward for the concept to be used nice idea and thanks

matter
04-17-2008, 07:33 AM
and be sure that all your questions will be eventually answered here

zappp
04-17-2008, 08:06 AM
do you guys think it's a good idea for artist to decide how much do they want to charge per track or album?

speaking of your concerns why people would want to buy, here is the thing. You can control if you want to only let visitor to preview all tracks or keep them available in full. However, if anyone wants to download the song to their comp/ipod/whatever they need to pay you artist a fee.

As to the price, we were thinking about smth like $30 for a main page featured spot and a review package, as for the ads -- smth like $5-$10 for spot on entire site, and $10-$20 if you want to target it to some specific sections of the site (like if you play metal, it makes sense to limit to pages ralated to metal). What do you think?

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
the fees sound like a good value, nothing to outrageous and as said before a lot of people view this site per day

Also, people should be able to set the price per song, because of track length and quality per se.

uhh_me?
04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
mixed feelings on this one.

would this be run off a separate server? i could see it causing massive slow-downs if people are using it. also, would people actually buy the songs? i'm not sure if i would...other than that i think it is a great idea to let people get some exposure in a different way.

Lemoninfluence
04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I think it'd be ok for people to set their own prices. they'd only be hurting themselves if they set it too high and only they would be losing out if they set it too low (assuming the min price they can pick is enough to cover UGs costs)

CowboyUp
04-17-2008, 08:21 AM
I can't see myself using it at all, really. It's a good idea though, because a lot of people have uploaded some great music.

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Hmmm UG, I was just thinking what is the rough age of the people who are on this,

Because there are ALOT of minors

so how would things be actually purchased

emad
04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Let's do that.

Phill-Rock
04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I think it's a great idea.

I'd think about selling music on UG definitely, and I'll tell a few bands I know about this.

I wouldn't buy anything here, cause I don't have a credit card, so I only buy CDs, not online stuff. In the future if I get one, I'd but stuff here though.

hazzmatazz
04-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I like the idea. But I doubt I'll use it. Maybe if I can make some good songs then I'll consider it.

Phill-Rock
04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
1.) do you guys think it's a good idea for artist to decide how much do they want to charge per track or album?

2.) As to the price, we were thinking about smth like $30 for a main page featured spot and a review package, as for the ads -- smth like $5-$10 for spot on entire site, and $10-$20 if you want to target it to some specific sections of the site (like if you play metal, it makes sense to limit to pages ralated to metal). What do you think?
1. I think the artist should get to pick the price. But there should possibly be a max. limit and min. limit so that they don't raise the price too much if they get popular, and so the site's fee is still taken care of.

2. I think that's reasonable, considering the amount of exposure they'd get, and I don't know of any other site that provides this opportunity at this level.

I don't understand why the price for the whole site would be less than the price for just targeting the metal section though.

sam b
04-17-2008, 08:48 AM
I like the idea. I'd probably try more selling than buying.. :p:

ptr362
04-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I think it's a pretty good idea, a lot of places that offer to sell music on behalf of an artist tend to take as much as they can money-wise, and I feel a community like this care mores about helping musicians than the actual money.

Also, if the fees turn out to be lower than most places, artists may be able charge less due to less costs to themselves! I think this idea would work.

cagnius
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Fantastic idea on behalf of the staff.

However, one concern on my part; wouldn't there be a concern that due to the average age of the average UGer, many wouldn't have access to the funds/means to pay for the music?

Vendetta V
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Hell yeah it'll be awesome... i agree... i can even write some reviews...

mmm hey how about a group of guys who'll write reviews for the songs nto futured in the mainpage... but it'll help writers to find their best songs....
mmm if yeah than i'm in ;)

also to that guys... mmm need to give em some extra stuff for doing it... like a UG team... or some rank... ma y b another username color in Forum...
or may b some new stuff in theyre profiles... liek using java.. or new colros and backgrounds... i mean new theams...

Vendetta V
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
how abotu gaining some credids (not money)...
so you could use them in futuring yr band...

M.O.P
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I think it's a very good idea but I probably won't use it.

Y0UNGBL00D
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
good idea

Phill-Rock
04-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Fantastic idea on behalf of the staff.

However, one concern on my part; wouldn't there be a concern that due to the average age of the average UGer, many wouldn't have access to the funds/means to pay for the music?
Well, I assume a lot of the younger users would still have pocket money/allowance/a part time job, and possibly could borrow their parents' credit cards.

I'm 18 and my parents don't have a credit card, so it doesn't apply to me either way.

Y0UNGBL00D
04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
good idea guys, green light. reviews by impartial and genre-specific music lovers is a MUST, and would also help with promotion. any "sounds like this band" type comments should be accurate and aid in discovering new music.

Draken
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
This sounds intriguing.

Martin259
04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Id use it to buy and sell music. Great Idear, I love to write some peices of music, and have always wanted to do something like this.

Phill-Rock
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Just thought I'd mention this. What happens if a band decides one of the songs released through UG is a blatant rip off of one of their songs, and decide to take legal action?

Are UG responsible? I know the song would probably be removed instantly, but there might be further action.

Is this another time when the servers being in Russia saves the day?

Spay
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I like the idea, it's going to take a lot of work from what I see, but I think you guys could make it work

Ed Hunter
04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Would there be any standards of musicianship/recording quality set? If not, there's a possibility of the server it's on being swamped with tracks no one wants to buy.

Kensai
04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
It's a good idea, if I had a band I'd use it! I'd recommend it too, because you can be heard even if you're not signed and make money at the same time. And it's legal too!

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Just thought I'd mention this. What happens if a band decides one of the songs released through UG is a blatant rip off of one of their songs, and decide to take legal action?

Are UG responsible? I know the song would probably be removed instantly, but there might be further action.

Is this another time when the servers being in Russia saves the day?

I dont think UG would be responsible it would be the artists involved

Shabalaba
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I think you should but you would have to get some good songs on there otherwise no one would use it

Shabalaba
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Would there be any standards of musicianship/recording quality set? If not, there's a possibility of the server it's on being swamped with tracks no one wants to buy.
Agreed

guitarsouloist
04-17-2008, 09:37 AM
I think it's a great idea... way 2 help out the bands in need UG :cool:

pAmpH
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm all for this idea! :)

Although I'm curious about what methods of payment would be used (and also how currency and exchange rates would affect it) and all that stuff, but I'm sure the most reasonable method/s will be decided upon. Also, what about copyright laws and all that stuff?

I do think that it would have to be moderated rather strictly to make sure that tracks are original, good enough (audio quality-wise) to sell and that people don't rip each other off by stealing songs. But I'm sure you guys are more than capable of sorting it out :)

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
UG. like a couple of [people have said quality

U should have like a filter or a person who verifies songs per day something like that so they dont clutter the site with useless songs

Zero-Hartman
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
UG. like a couple of [people have said quality

U should have like a filter or a person who verifies songs per day something like that so they dont clutter the site with useless songs
Good point. I guess it'll just be another place to mod though, like we get spam threads in The Pit but they just get cleaned up ^^

I'm all for the idea. Get some T-Shirts on the go, I'd wear mine with pride!

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 09:58 AM
most def wear with pride lol

bikerboyjosh
04-17-2008, 10:02 AM
i like the idea, but would this be a vehicle to sell singles, or entire albums?

Nightmare_xxx
04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Yea I'd definitely be into it, not so much making money out of selling music, but the advertising and review thing would be a selling point for me :) I'd really like to see this go ahead

U B the band
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
The idea sounds great, the only thing that comes to mind that I don't like is that no one should sell their music that isn't signed.....I wouldn't. What's stopping people from stealing unsigned music (guitar riffs, lyrics, ect.) it sounds good and I'd sell my music but I'd get it signed first.

radtke
04-17-2008, 10:07 AM
I like the idea and me and my band read this and thought it would be a good thing for bands so the get more of a chance to get out of their garages and hopfully make something of themselves in the music busieness

Mr_Jubby_Jubs
04-17-2008, 10:08 AM
They could have the songs checked after submission like they do with tabs?

Great idea anyway, this could get really big if its done well, show some record companies that bands don't always need them and they should clean up their act.

Roy Blackhart
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Its a good idea yet people are still able to illegally share it anyways by programs. I've learned. I know somewhat much about computers, but once its in a shared files folder for that user and they have an illegal sharing program it can be let out free. That's all i would be afraid of. Plus if the program (it depends which one is in use) that downloads music does not turn off the sharing for the music on your music then it will definitely get uploaded. Check on Google about some, even some programs. There is Readme(s) and everything for those programs i bet.

JI-HALL
04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
it's ok

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
The idea sounds great, the only thing that comes to mind that I don't like is that no one should sell their music that isn't signed.....I wouldn't. What's stopping people from stealing unsigned music (guitar riffs, lyrics, ect.) it sounds good and I'd sell my music but I'd get it signed first.

u dont have to be signed to be copywriten if u make a song it is automatically done just add the date and ur name on it and its done so if someone steals it take em to caught

or being signed to a label does is distribute ur music and record ur music under contract

Dimebag22
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
That's a really good idea guys. :)

There are a few issues that have already been mentioned before.
1) Copyrights and rights to your own song. I might be a little eerie before putting up my song in fear of someone downloading it and calling it their own or stealing riffs and lyrics and such.
2) Quality. We don't need a bunch of random horrible quality recordings overtaking all the good quality songs.

g'n'r
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Ur mom's a Bitch 4 havin a Bitch, ur dad' s a Bitch 4 ****in a Bitch, so who's the Bitch now...BITCH!!!

:headbang:

:killaxe:

:sexsmile:

ssshmin
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
sounds like a good idea. but how are we gon get the money?

rancidryan
04-17-2008, 10:41 AM
brillant idea this should be a help for many people

smb
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Will it be easy and not too expensive for people located outside of the country you base this in?

Metal_Rich
04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
I can't see myself using it at all, really. It's a good idea though, because a lot of people have uploaded some great music.
+1

Domino
04-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I think its a great idea. People keep saying the majority of people here are too young to bother paying and such, but it'd probably encourage more older members to join or become more active, and that can't be a bad thing.

EDIT: Having said that I probably wouldn't use it much myself. I think selling your own music requires a certain amount of arrogance that I just haven't quite reached yet. and buying other peoples music requires money, I don't have that either.
But I know plenty of arrogant, rich musicians and I will gladly direct them all this way

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
never thought of it like that domino

Carman101
04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I like the sound of this. I would use the site for both, to sell music and buy music. I would deffiniately recommend the site to a friend. How would we pay for things, somethings like credits? or something else? But overall I think this is a great idea.

Dimebag22
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
EDIT: Having said that I probably wouldn't use it much myself. I think selling your own music requires a certain amount of arrogance that I just haven't quite reached yet. and buying other peoples music requires money, I don't have that either.
But I know plenty of arrogant, rich musicians and I will gladly direct them all this way

Just because someone wants to make money off of something that they love to do and are good at doesn't make them arrogant.

geddyleesimmons
04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
this makes perfect sense but i have one question...if we are gonna sell our original music and buy from others, do we have the protection as musicians to not have our music stolen and re-realeased by a different artist? that is the only thing that does not make much sense to me...

Giant Tool
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
sounds like a great idea to me

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 11:23 AM
this makes perfect sense but i have one question...if we are gonna sell our original music and buy from others, do we have the protection as musicians to not have our music stolen and re-realeased by a different artist? that is the only thing that does not make much sense to me...

Everything that is written and or recorded is classified as copyright

what u can do as well is if ur Australian go to www.apra.com.au and register there then ur works are 100% done

but also as i said ur work is copyrighten once u add ur C symbol on there ur name and date then if someone "Borrows it" whip there arse with it

rabidguitarist
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Damn. Why did I have to go get signed for?

geddyleesimmons
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Everything that is written and or recorded is classified as copyright

what u can do as well is if ur Australian go to www.apra.com.au and register there then ur works are 100% done

but also as i said ur work is copyrighten once u add ur C symbol on there ur name and date then if someone "Borrows it" whip there arse with it

now it makes more sense but im not australian so i got a lot of work to do

redh0tchilip3pp
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Signed.

Domino
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Just because someone wants to make money off of something that they love to do and are good at doesn't make them arrogant.

Wanting to make money, and thinking you can make money are two different things. I often forget the importance of the ":p:" smiley. I do apologise.

Just noticed further down the first page there too....
I think musicians should be able to choose their own selling price. If all goes well, bands with plenty of fans could sell their music through the site. If I was able to sell my own CDs at gigs and such, I wouldn't like to have my selling price restricted on the internet. That would put me off using the site.

Twixted
04-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Im 17 would i be able to put my music for sale or is this only for 18+?

Twixted
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
And also is the service going to be avalable internationaly? (i live in qatar)

All in all i like the idea

slashrules!!!
04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
good idea

crazynickman
04-17-2008, 11:46 AM
It sounds alright, we just have to see in practice if the musicians' material is treated fairly, there are fair prices, and other I guess legal stuff. Kinks would be worked out after it launches, I assume, so we can't say for sure right now but I'm on board. If I'm really impressed with someone's material, I would buy it.

supergerbil
04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
It does sound a great of way of getting your music out there and to find some great new bands/artists.

The feature to set your own price would be good, but it might be easier for you guys to have a universal price.

Forcemaster
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I think the concept is a very good idea.

However there's a few major flaws I can spot.

The first gripe would be what if the system becomes very popular and everyone wants to advertise, the pages would be cluttered with advertisements and people would ignore them, rendering them useless.

Contextual advertisements could work well, perhaps a "bands you may like" section on UG profiles? That is dependant on your music tastes; a similar thing could be implemented for searches.

The second problem I foresee would be the actual quality of the music being uploaded, with all due respect to UG users and their musical ability i'm not gonna pay at all for your poor quality cover of MoP (speaking of which, how will covers be organized in terms of royalty payment?) or your band that have been together a week and recording one sloppy original.
I realise, of course, that this system could well attract new visitors who come to advertise and sell their music but is there really enough talent to warrant the purchase of peoples music? Who knows. I think a quality control system would need to be in place to make sure the music is actually worth putting up and not just wasting server space.

As a consumer i'd enjoy the ability to search for (decent) unsigned bands that fit my style and definitely would purchase from the store if I found something I liked.

I would also use the system to sell my bands music, only becuase we've become relatively popular on here and are an established band. I just don't know about the quality of other musicians on here, I don't mean to sound condescending but it would just depend on what gets offered up to buy.

My 1 pence.

_Metal_Guitar_
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
i think its a good idea, it will be a good way to give unsigned bands publicity.

Sylosis
04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a good idea on paper, but how are these transactions going to take place; because if it's not a credit scheme, we're going to have to fuck around with something like paypal aren't we?

af_the_fragile
04-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Great idea.
I'ld love to have my music on here once i finish off with the Solo project i'm working on.

crazynickman
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
I think the concept is a very good idea.

However there's a few major flaws I can spot.

The first gripe would be what if the system becomes very popular and everyone wants to advertise, the pages would be cluttered with advertisements and people would ignore them, rendering them useless.

Contextual advertisements could work well, perhaps a "bands you may like" section on UG profiles? That is dependant on your music tastes; a similar thing could be implemented for searches.

The second problem I foresee would be the actual quality of the music being uploaded, with all due respect to UG users and their musical ability i'm not gonna pay at all for your poor quality cover of MoP (speaking of which, how will covers be organized in terms of royalty payment?) or your band that have been together a week and recording one sloppy original.
I realise, of course, that this system could well attract new visitors who come to advertise and sell their music but is there really enough talent to warrant the purchase of peoples music? Who knows. I think a quality control system would need to be in place to make sure the music is actually worth putting up and not just wasting server space.

As a consumer i'd enjoy the ability to search for (decent) unsigned bands that fit my style and definitely would purchase from the store if I found something I liked.

I would also use the system to sell my bands music, only becuase we've become relatively popular on here and are an established band. I just don't know about the quality of other musicians on here, I don't mean to sound condescending but it would just depend on what gets offered up to buy.

My 1 pence.
I would say covers are out, definitely, due to legal issues. And also to weed out those 1 week old bands, we could use the rating system so that if a song doesn't have say, more than 30 positive votes, it's not eligible to be sold (and limit to one vote per person).
And the "bands you might like" thing: were you thinking in terms of real bands or UG bands, because I can't see how that would work unless you put "Led Zeppelin" or someone in your Favorite Bands, then a band tags themselves as Led Zeppelin-esque, and then you're linked to them. It could be done, but it seems it would take a lot of effort. Most bands don't even want to compare themselves to other famous bands, or even affix a genre to themselves. Maybe the system could work based on your plays of UGers' bands.

Chris Buono
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Bring it on. We artists need to make a living and have outlets to sell product--sorry kids, you can't keep downloading tunage for free if you want people to continue to make the music you love. Being able to sell our work on UG is beyond valuable considering the massive number of potential buyers. I just hope the boys come out with a relaible accounting system unlike some other similar on-line merchants.

Martindecorum
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Bring it on. We artists need to make a living and have outlets to sell product--sorry kids, you can't keep downloading tunage for free if you want people to continue to make the music you love. Being able to sell our work on UG is beyond valuable considering the massive number of potential buyers. I just hope the boys come out with a relaible accounting system unlike some other similar on-line merchants.

HERE. HERE well said

crazynickman
04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I only use Limewire and stuff for big bands that have already made their millions-- I buy independent artists' stuff, always. The only reason I use (I hate saying it but) illegal downloading is for ease, price, and because, more gallantly, I guess, to stick it to the big labels that give their artists peanuts and still charge us $25 a CD in a dying media to make up the difference. If they had jumped on board the mp3 train, we (or I) wouldn't have a reason to do what we (or I) do.

Edit- By the way, I like your music :cheers:

Forcemaster
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I would say covers are out, definitely, due to legal issues. And also to weed out those 1 week old bands, we could use the rating system so that if a song doesn't have say, more than 30 positive votes, it's not eligible to be sold (and limit to one vote per person).
And the "bands you might like" thing: were you thinking in terms of real bands or UG bands, because I can't see how that would work unless you put "Led Zeppelin" or someone in your Favorite Bands, then a band tags themselves as Led Zeppelin-esque, and then you're linked to them. It could be done, but it seems it would take a lot of effort. Most bands don't even want to compare themselves to other famous bands, or even affix a genre to themselves. Maybe the system could work based on your plays of UGers' bands.

Regarding the last part of your post it's more than easy to do. Last.fm already have a system that does exactly what I described. And every band has influences and a genre, that's just silly.

SomeoneYouKnew
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
That's a really good idea guys. :)

There are a few issues that have already been mentioned before.
1) Copyrights and rights to your own song. I might be a little eerie before putting up my song in fear of someone downloading it and calling it their own or stealing riffs and lyrics and such.
2) Quality. We don't need a bunch of random horrible quality recordings overtaking all the good quality songs.1 - Putting your song in this system would be a way of proving ownership. The "publishing date" would show that you were the first to publish it. It would also prove that you were plagiarizing if the date was later than a previously published version of the same work.

2 - Two schools of thought on that one:

A - Let anyone publish anything. Let the market decide.
B - Unreviewed works could be filtered from reviewed works if the customer chooses.

do you guys think it's a good idea for artist to decide how much do they want to charge per track or album?Yes, within reason. Some recommendations would be in order. The UG staff will be able to gain some knowledge through market research. Then recommendations for pricing ranges should be made to people wishing to market through the UG system.

crazynickman
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Regarding the last part of your post it's more than easy to do. Last.fm already have a system that does exactly what I described. And every band has influences and a genre, that's just silly.
Obviously they do, what I SAID was lots of bands hate comparing themselves to other artists and won't if they don't have to; you see all the FOB-clones on Myspace going "We r totlly unique n dun soun liek no one!!!1" so just having tags might work technically but it won't be the best system. And the second system I mentioned is what Last.fm does indeed use (besides scrobbling) so we're in agreement for the most part.

GiantRaven
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Great idea. Great idea. Great idea.

Forcemaster
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Obviously they do, what I SAID was lots of bands hate comparing themselves to other artists and won't if they don't have to; you see all the FOB-clones on Myspace going "We r totlly unique n dun soun liek no one!!!1" so just having tags might work technically but it won't be the best system. And the second system I mentioned is what Last.fm does indeed use (besides scrobbling) so we're in agreement for the most part.

Indeed we are, but if a band chooses not to advertise themselves in the correct way than that';s their problem, it's not a concern of UG.

z4twenny
04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
y'know, theoretically i like it. but at the same time even @ 50 cents a song (which imo is what i personally would want to charge) i don't know if the money coming in would be greater than the money spent to support it. i don't mind a one time fee to set it up but if there was a monthly fee associated with it then i wouldn't be too big on it (it doesn't look like there is but i didn't read all 5 pages) i'd much rather distribute my music for free and not pay anything than have to pay a monthly fee.

crazynickman
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Indeed we are, but if a band chooses not to advertise themselves in the correct way than that';s their problem, it's not a concern of UG.
But even so, it would be easier to go by plays and tags, not just tags. I thought that was obvious. And also genres are sometimes subjective; a bands could call themselves blues because they play one song in 12 bar but sound like My Chemical Romance. It's not their problem then, it's anyone's problem who likes the blues and gets something they don't want. You can't say "it's their problem" and not expect people to not get frustrated. These kinds of things are made and sustained based on efficiency and usability, and "it's their problem" is just lazy.

mulletman500
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I think if it could work, MySpace would already be doing it. I don't know. It seems like a good idea, but you'll probably end up with loads of spam advertising threads.

I'd run a trial first, but I don't know. I might try and sell music, but people wouldn't buy it.

Also, you'd have to have a proper copyright procedure.

GiantRaven
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I think if it could work, MySpace would already be doing it. I don't know. It seems like a good idea, but you'll probably end up with loads of spam advertising threads.

I'd run a trial first, but I don't know. I might try and sell music, but people wouldn't buy it.

Also, you'd have to have a proper copyright procedure.
I thought you already could sell music via myspace?

eliteXsoccer
04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I think it's a great idea. I haven't been here for very long and I've already heard a few songs uploaded by members, that I thought were really great. If there was a place to go to preview a whole bunch of original songs by UG members, I'd defenitely go to it, and I'd defentitely buy some. I like "underground" music. I get tired of the same mainstream songs playing on the radio... If I ever get good enough, I'd put some songs up as well... just to see if anyone would actually pay for them haha.

Anyway... Great idea. Just don't throw it together in a hurry. :D everyone will still be here when it's ready.

sunnysayshi
04-17-2008, 12:42 PM
What would be the percentage of money for you guys?

Vendetta V
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
can't we make something to sign our music by UG??

whatamidoinhere
04-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Sounds like an awesome idea.

There's a lot of crap out there though, and I don't know if people would like the idea of having to download songs and then them being crap...

But hey, just one step closer to a UG record label...and then maybe world domination?

Kai07
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
seems like a good idea =O I'd do it.

MetallicGod07
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Dude this is a great idea!!! IM up for it. Buy and sell for me :)

Sink-the-pink
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
this would be realy good because not only once you downloaded a tab for a song you might not have on cd but you can download the track to absolute yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i proficise at this rate one day ug will rule the world

meh!
04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I think it's a good idea in principle.

I don't know anything about the mechanics of doing such a thing, so i'll just give my enthusiasm to those techie type

WOOO!

:p:

jak_daniels
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
it would be good if the musicians could set their OWN prices for their music, or even if they wanted to share it for free. and put a reminder out to EVERYONE who will use it, letting them know to copywright their music so someone else doesnt steal it on them.

apart from that, i like the idea.

nolife'tilmetal
04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know if I'll use it. I might though since I'm starting a band...

BrianApocalypse
04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm in favour of the idea.

I'd be looking to sell my music at £0.50 / $1.00 / EU 0.75 per song. (That's around half what itunes charge, I know it is for the UK, the international conversions I listed probably vary to what itunes charge in the US and Europe.)

I think that's a fair price.

The music for sale would have to be quite high quality though, that wouldn't be good money for something recorded on cassette.

I think that UG should have a team to approve prices so that people aren't charging industry prices for poor garage band quality music.

Ultimate_Gio92
04-17-2008, 02:05 PM

I think this is a bad idea. What if no one votes for anything? Then nothing is uploaded. I personal never vote positive or negative on anything. I just read or listen to it and that's it. I don't do the five star system on my ipod, and I don't vote.

I'm personally very bisexual on this issue. On one hand, it gives bands great exposure to a community of musicians, and guitar players and drummers and such. New music, more exposure and some profit. It gives Ultimate-Guitar more exposure as well, record labels and musical instrument companies looking to hand out contracts or endorsements may one day be able to use UG as a good source for popular bands.

Now the bad... Alot of bands don't have quality recording equipment? What to do then? They register but nobody will buy crappy quality songs. I doubt ANY song will be good quality with the exception of a few who spend thousands on it. But if we deny those without high quality music this service, they will abandon this idea and maybe even website because they didn't have the money to buy thousand dollar recording equipment so that people could check them out. Also, you say copyright? No one knows **** about that and I doubt anyone without the help of a lawyer will copyright their music by themselves. Thievery of music will be very easy through this system. Another thing is that alot of us just don't have credit cards, and you say get parents to buy through their credit cards? Horrible idea, what if parents don't approve of the music? What if they don't have a credit card? What if they say no? I understand this isn't a problem for all, but alot of UG'ers just don't have credit cards yet.

This sounds good on paper, but in reality it would take alot of hard work. It may not even be possible to execute. It needs more planning to take care of all these issues.

Jammydude44
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
The advertising band/promotion/review packages sound like it could be a much more succesful than the pay-for-download service.

I think exposure for young and unsigned bands is more the goal than making money. I know it would be if I was in a band. Plus most of UG is in the younger age bracket anyway.

83lespaulstudio
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
i say good idea! i forsee no problems that can't be worked out. good job.
:cool:

Jonny92
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I've been waiting for a website to do something like this :D

thanks UG

sounds good

FrenchyFungus
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
I'd like to think I'd buy music from something like this, I buy music from enough other places anyway, why not one more, and a bit of a niche market too :)

To answer zappp's question on the first page: Allowing the artist to set the price sounds like a sensible option, but I'm a massive fan of sites such as magnatune.com, where there is a minimum price and a maximum price, and customers can choose any price they want in between.

PS: I sorted the English a bit in the first post, hope you don't mind :)

IcePh0enix
04-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Sounds good to me.

WARNINGnimrod12
04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Ya, I think it would be a pretty cool idea. I'm not sure exactly if I personally would use it, but other people probably would.

J Mud
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Good luck! (in a good way ;) )

Anooplol
04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
IT sounds like a good idea, but 99% of people like free stuff more then paying for stuff.

angus is god
04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I like the idea, it's cool that you are giving unsigned musicians a chance earn some cash from there hard work.

jblacksher
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I would use it to promote my music and to look into some new fresh bands. Sounds like a brilliant idea..

|Guitarhead|
04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
extremely good idea. Best UG idea so far which is pretty good. I vote for it definitely. Really excellent idea, I hope it happens!!!!!

lolmnt
04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Very cool idea guys. I hope it happens.

Scarlatti
04-17-2008, 04:01 PM
This sounds great.
I would sell and buy some music for sure.

guitarkp
04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
that would be awesome, a good way to get noticed and earn some money at the same time. do it!!!

one vision
04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I doubt I would buy things off it unless it's truly awsum

As for "getting discovered", how many record label/industry professionals browse this site? Because if there is a chance of getting picked up then I'd get into it.

I'm down for it though, I'd browse it every day to check out new stuff, after all, I check UG more often than facebook... :(

Jawkster
04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
This is a great idea. Thanks.

Mr. President
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
I've been waiting for UG to implement a feature along these lines. Great idea.

Page&HammettFan
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm liking the sound of this idea, though I don't really know how much I would use it if it was here. It would, I suppose, all depend on the cost of each MP3 and things like that. But this is most definitely something to ponder, because it could make UG much larger, as well as help independent artists get their names out and possibly even signed.

To any questions about people who have their MP3s up in their profiles already, and they would like to sell those but at the same time let them be heard, you could just give samples of the stuff that you have up on the UG Store in your profile, and a link to the store and your music in your profile.

IndieMetalhead
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Good idea that will be used little?

theres just not enough artists on the site, and people aren't going to buy some random doodle of some guy!

one vision
04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Good idea that will be used little?

theres just not enough artists on the site, and people aren't going to buy some random doodle of some guy!
If I like it I'd buy it, but again, it has to be AMAZING. Most of the people on here probably dont even have a paypal/credit card.

Reviewer Pete
04-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds kewl to me guys.

La Qotsa
04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, you asked for my opinion:

I don't buy music, so I don't like the idea of it at all.

joemunch66
04-17-2008, 04:44 PM
i think it is a great idea, it would definatly help alot of people to be heard!

CaptnWar
04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Do it.

If I had money I would buy music, and if I had music to sell, I would sell it here.

Just today I was talking with my bf about how the only job I could see myself doing in life, you know like since I was 6, was to work in a music store.

Sadly that day just isn't possible anymore. People just don't want to buy music on a physical piece of material that will end up getting scratched or magnetized, erased whatever...

the day of selling records is over, but finally people are understanding that doesn't mean the end of the music business.

You guys got it right

Heafyman
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, I honestly think this is a really cool idea. Of course you could get 14 year olds complaining that their 'emo masterpiece' isn't getting sold.

Scourge441
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
If you do it, you should also have html tags that go to the artist's store so they can put links to buy the songs on MySpace and such.

Vermintide
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
PLEASE DO IT.

YOU CAN EXCLUSIVELY DISTRIBUTE THE METAL HOUSE PROJECT'S FIRST DEMO.

FOR FREE.

DO IT!!! PLEAASSASARSD¬!!¬¬¬

Seriously, I have always thought this would be a great idea; good to see the Powers that Be have got it too ;)

bartdevil_metal
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I think that it's an excellent way for amateur/semi pro bands to get some exposure and earn some cash.

sam i am
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Great. Just, Great. Just a couple of thinsg i want to say:

- Are the songs going to be moderated? I would say that it would perhaps get a little out of hand if people could upload songs as easily as their profiles. It would be difficult to keep covers out of the way, un-less you had some sort of disclaimer.

It might be an unpopular idea, but you could have a small signing-up fee or a small charge to upload a song (I'm only talkin a few quid for a signing-up fee or a pennies for a song) but it would at least mean people only upload songs they are serious about.

Secondly, although I'm young and don't have my own credit card, I would just use my parents. And I guess others will.

one vision
04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Great. Just, Great. Just a couple of thinsg i want to say:

- Are the songs going to be moderated? I would say that it would perhaps get a little out of hand if people could upload songs as easily as their profiles. It would be difficult to keep covers out of the way, un-less you had some sort of disclaimer.

It might be an unpopular idea, but you could have a small signing-up fee or a small charge to upload a song (I'm only talkin a few quid for a signing-up fee or a pennies for a song) but it would at least mean people only upload songs they are serious about.

Secondly, although I'm young and don't have my own credit card, I would just use my parents. And I guess others will.
True. I agree with a penny fee or something.

I'm not sure about covers and what the laws are on that, I mean if it's an interpretation of a song, is there some sort of fee payed to the original composer or some society?

moody07747
04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
sell MP3s...I like the idea.
I work in my studio all day putting my ideas up on myspace and UG to let others hear them but since im low on cash (like most members here im sure...) I like the idea of selling my ideas fo a little cash on the side.

I choose "to sell music".

biga29
04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
would you have to pay to put your music on here though,, ethier way its sounds like an awesome idea

one vision
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Again, I doubt the majority of UG would "buy". But again, how many record label executives/scouts browse this site?

Yes, I would pay to put music on here, if it's not a ridiculous amount. Or pay to "upgrade" my account so I could sell my music through this program.

deathbyawesome
04-17-2008, 05:27 PM
i really like the idea, i would probably use it to buy music, and if i was in a band that recorded, I would definatly use it to sell music too.

FbSa
04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
So it's going to be a lot like DMusic? I like the idea, but a lot of people on here have some awesome songs that I can listen to for free, and now they'll probabally change it so I have to pay for it. That, I am not looking forward to. But I guess my band could try to sell some stuff on here, I say we try it and see what happens.

Jastul
04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
sounds pretty damn good, but I think it would make it really easy for people to copy or steal other artist/band's work, you'll have to think of a way to stop that from happening if you want this to become something legit and to prevent the overuse/recycling of ideas

SG Man Forever
04-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I personally would not use the feature. The problem is that people are already putting their music on the profiles, and I think it would detract from that, and it could turn into someone sending PM's all over the place saying "HEY I JUST RECORDED MY FIRST SONG, NOW COME BUY IT PLZ." I also don't want to see UG turn into some sort of music corporation; to me, it's just a cool online community of guitarists where we can talk to each other.

BassistGal
04-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't like the idea, actually.

UG is preety much an artist's community, and alot of UG's beauty is coming from sharing creations in here, to other artists, for mutual enjoyment and crit.

Putting money into the equation will earn you guys up there in Russia some extra bucks, but I really don't think it will be good to the site's "community".

MatrixClaw
04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Sounds pretty sweet, I'd use it for my bands for sure, as long as we'd still get to post songs and people wouldn't have to pay to hear them, seeing as to do it on MySpace it's too much of a hassle, plus their site never works the way you want it to half the time.

mash71
04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Worth a shot for sure. I dont know how many members of UG have nice studios to produce music worth buying, but Im sure there are plenty and the store would attract more.

I think it would be very important to have a way for artists to upload songs for free, though, and a system to verify that song uploads are at least semi official, not just a 15 second clip of some riff.

LeeA1991
04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
what would stand out which would make UGers use this rather than itunes or, say a peer to peer network?

BassistGal
04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Sounds pretty sweet, I'd use it for my bands for sure, as long as we'd still get to post songs and people wouldn't have to pay to hear them, seeing as to do it on MySpace it's too much of a hassle, plus their site never works the way you want it to half the time.
:haha

kyle62
04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
The unsigned digital-distribution thing's being done to death at the moment; why not stick to what you're good at? Surely you could make the same sort of revenue from a moderate bit of tactfully-placed advertising, if money is the issue?

This is one of the largest guitar sites in the world, but trying to rival iTunes et al will require a lot more than just a reputation. Maybe a scaled-down version would work, but the way you've described it so far sounds laughably generic, and the only success you'll have is with naive young kids who seriously think they're going to achieve worldwide fame by being on UG. The only unique selling points you have currently are 'a bit cheaper than iTunes', and being a well-known discussion forum. What if Harmony Central decided to compete? Their site and its patrons cover a greater breadth of musical topics than UG, and parent company Musician's Friend could pour in vast amounts of funding/advertising if necessary.

If you want to harness the power of your '500K hits/day', why not look into a mutually beneficial partnership with one of the existing digital distribution services? For example, you could review selected unsigned bands and within the review include a link to download their music.

This may be a booming market, but jumping on the bandwagon is not going to do you any favours in the long run.

Cheers,
Kyle

Invader Jim
04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Crap. I meant to vote Buy AND Sell music...

dare_u_2_move
04-17-2008, 06:12 PM
this is a good idea to get a ug store

bluesrocker101
04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
If we were to sell, how the would the copyright system go with this?

The Spoon
04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I'd do it to sell and buy music...

then again, what would make it different from say, TuneCore? or Oomix?

blackdahlia1066
04-17-2008, 06:33 PM
incredible idea, definitely go through with it! this is a great way for unknown/unsigned artists to get the respect they deserve, and give them a running start at some real opportunity in the music industry. :)

Gunpowder
04-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like beauty to me; chances are, if I found something that I liked, I'd use it.

Le_Meow117
04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
we should have playlists, but u can make the list and buy it as a package

sum1udunno
04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
This is an awesome idea. UG is always finding ways to get even better. Pretty soon UG will have its own record label.

freddaahh
04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd like to sell some of my music - not that I have anything to sell. It's a great idea, it can help out our bands even further. I wouldn't like to buy, but that's because I'm a cheap bastard.

UG is expanding mightily.

Raziel2p
04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I've never bought digital music online, and I probably never will.

Kosh H
04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
hmmm sounds like a good idea but could be tricky or buggy.

Ultimate_Gio92
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Do it.

If I had money I would buy music, and if I had music to sell, I would sell it here.

Just today I was talking with my bf about how the only job I could see myself doing in life, you know like since I was 6, was to work in a music store.

Sadly that day just isn't possible anymore. People just don't want to buy music on a physical piece of material that will end up getting scratched or magnetized, erased whatever...

the day of selling records is over, but finally people are understanding that doesn't mean the end of the music business.

You guys got it right

A woman on teh interwebs? Back to the kitchen!

R0CKER1220
04-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I probably won't use it but it sounds like a good idea for other people.

dark&broken
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Would we be able to listen to the music before buying it? (even short 1 minute clips or something of the sort to get a taste) If so then I think it's a brilliant plan.

Unforgotten
04-17-2008, 08:10 PM
i like the idea but , I don't know if many people would buy tracks from unsigned bands , if the quality of the track is good i guess you would get some. I think it all depends on the price?

Is there going to be previews of the song to like itunes?

xWhitechapelx
04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
seems like a terrible idea to me, who wants crap clips that doesn't show the person's true tone of their riffs and songs :rolleyes: nothing on the internet stays free long ither, nor is something truly hack and bug proof, but in all honesty I despise the idea

but if you do use it, make sure its another tab on the site as I sure won't click it :)
get sponsors if UG needs money bro.

Gregoriose
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't use it at all but I think others would so I'd say go for it.

Bodom69
04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
I like that Idea a lot!

rage6945
04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
this is a great idea but there should be some sort of selection process. a band should submit their tracks and get them approved before selling them. personally, i wouldnt want to pay to hear some 13 year old kids playing cheesy chord progressions recorded on a laptop microphone, but if a band was writing some really creative and innovative music and had listenable recordings, i would definitly buy.
and i would undoubtably put up tracks, and i like the whole review thing, it would be great for publicity

gopherthegreat
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
sounds like an good idea

although im not sure it would be used much

daytripper75
04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
its an interesting idea. i dont have music to sell, but i might consider buying. im not sure though.

Dreadnought
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I think it's a GREAT idea!

What harm could be done? Anything to push this site and experiment with the online music industry and community is okay with me :cheers:

IloveMIDGETS!
04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
looks good on paper, but it would fail. u know at least half the people who voted they would use it aren't going to use it. and the vast majority of people on here are 14 and don't have credit cards. parents will be hesitant to let their 13 year old kid use their credit card so he can 'be a musician' on a guitar website... all in all, it would be a major waste of time on the part of the people who will make it happen.

devinbryndel
04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
*thumbs down* dl it

Jackal58
04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I like it. A lot. Do it. Try it. Modify it as you go. If you build it they will come.

AgentWiggles
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I like music. I like money. I don't mind spending money on good music. I don't mind recieving money when people think my music is good.

I like everything about this idea. Go for it!

divid3d
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
i think for this to work you would need a range of payment methods (credit card, paypal, direct debit, etc) as, like others have said, many of this sites users are quite young and would not have a credit card, so other options would be necessary.

also, the quality of the recordings is important to me. i currently do not buy mp3s of less than 192 kbps quality - i generally only buy 320 kbps mp3s. i doubt most unsigned bedroom/garage bands would be able to make high quality recordings of their tracks that i would consider worth paying for.

i do think it's a great idea, i'm just not sure i'd use it very often.

aaron28
04-17-2008, 11:05 PM
this is a free site and should remain that way. the majority of users are minors. how many people actually have thier music on here copyrighted. $30 for an advertisement page is that a month, a year, a week, a day, a weekday. however, for the serious bands that are on here it may prove useful. but the people who come to learn from this site get screwed because they hafta pay to hear someone's music. stoopid. this seems to be a fine line to walk. spend tons of money on lawyers and figure it out.

Thornography
04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't use it personally.

1. In a matter of days, I'd be able to torrent any song released on here.
2. Why would I buy amature music? Unless each song undergoes a heavy UG facelift to make it sound studio-like, I'm sure that most songs submitted will be extremely bad.

crazynickman
04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
this is a free site and should remain that way. the majority of users are minors. how many people actually have thier music on here copyrighted. $30 for an advertisement page is that a month, a year, a week, a day, a weekday. however, for the serious bands that are on here it may prove useful. but the people who come to learn from this site get screwed because they hafta pay to hear someone's music. stoopid. this seems to be a fine line to walk. spend tons of money on lawyers and figure it out.
Oh come on, this is basically the LAST tab site, and it has these forums and profiles and it's completely free. One mention of some kind of fee and you act like zappp is nickel and dimeing us into poverty. And only the serious would survive it, anyway. The not-so-serious would stop trying to sell their stuff and develop so that one day they can be good enough to sell the music.

BigFatSandwich
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
I think you missed the point completely. You should read through the thread again. This is not turning into a pay-site. They're considering giving artists the option of making money off their hard work. The OPTION. What's so wrong with that?

arsonite
04-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Great idea. Let's do it! :cheers:

andersoncouncil
04-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I may use it. More likely to buy then sell right now. Depending on the cost and the quality of the music though. Also, I'd like to know more about the artist's freedom in deciding how to sell the music.

aig91
04-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I think this is a good idea. This site is mainly about music. And there are a lot of very talented musicians out there that aren't signed to any major record label. I think it's a great oppurtunity for them to get their music out there. I would probably buy some.

MedicreDemon
04-18-2008, 02:09 AM
I believe that the seller should be able to set the price for everything.

one vision
04-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, but I think there should be like a guideline chart which tells you what reflects the price such as quality, length, popularity of genre, and other information like that.

Jonicola
04-18-2008, 03:56 AM
I like the idea. However, I suppose that the music on sale would be each one's own creation and not some other artist's work rearranged. If copyrighted music were being sold in the site, how would UG deal with the royalties? Anyway, just do it!

Martindecorum
04-18-2008, 04:11 AM
UG wont go that far they will only allow originals to be sold WAY to much hassel for covers

CorduroyEW
04-18-2008, 04:14 AM
I think the idea is absolutly wonderful. I also think it's going to get the site more traffic in general. Great idea.

The only question is, how is it going to work for knowing what the song sounds like to beging with. What I would really like to so is a 1min downloadable sound clip and then have the ability to stream, but not download, a low quality version of the full song. That way we have a reason to actually buy the music (get a betty copy that is downloadable) but we also have the ability to hear the whole song.

AwesomeDrummer
04-18-2008, 04:48 AM
im just happy that ug is expanding. its like watching a child grow up.

divid3d
04-18-2008, 05:19 AM
I think the idea is absolutly wonderful. I also think it's going to get the site more traffic in general. Great idea.

The only question is, how is it going to work for knowing what the song sounds like to beging with. What I would really like to so is a 1min downloadable sound clip and then have the ability to stream, but not download, a low quality version of the full song. That way we have a reason to actually buy the music (get a betty copy that is downloadable) but we also have the ability to hear the whole song.
if it's anything like the sites that i use to download music (beatport.com, trackitdown.net, junodownload.com, etc) then you will be able to stream a sample which is either 30 secs to minute at full quality or the entire track at a very low quality. i don't know of any sites that allow you to download a clip to keep, afaik, it's streaming or nothing.

one of the sites i use, can't remember which, recently introduced a really good system where you can drop the pointer over any part of the track and hear 30 seconds at full quality starting from that point. so technically you can hear the entire track at full quality, just not all in one hit so you can't hear the whole thing uninterrupted (and record it) without buying it.

it would be good to know what sort of sample listening system they are planning to use for UG :)

BGSM
04-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Fantastic idea.

Vendetta V
04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
hope my band would get at least money for picks :p

Stratwizard
04-18-2008, 06:34 AM
This is a great idea! Thumbs up!

Ferrarone
04-18-2008, 07:18 AM
great idea! but it would be nice if you could stream the music for free but pay to download it!

VILLAIN90
04-18-2008, 08:03 AM
We could use a store.

break-me-in
04-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Oh bollocks, this means I'll have to get some good quality recordings...

Well, it sounds like a wonderful idea. One small thing, a lot of people on UG aren't 18 and resultantly can't own a credit card, so how would they pay for music?

Vendetta V
04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
great idea! but it would be nice if you could stream the music for free but pay to download it!

well ya can listen to the songs for free in the Band's profile :D

ZanasCross
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Great idea in theory.... but for me, if I'm going to buy music, I'll buy the albums that my favorite bands have just realeased (as I don't have much extra cash) and I don't produce enough quality music to sell anything.

I do like the idea though.

Dobzilla
04-18-2008, 11:37 AM
It's an awesome idea, but I'd like to know what the plans for the distribution of profits was.

E.g. what percentage the artist gets, and what UG is going to get.

jwingsfan
04-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Sounds great. How would pay/recieve payments for songs? Paypal? or something else?

elliott FTW
04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!

'Leviathan'
04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
This sounds like a really good idea. It will really help aspiring musicians to be heard by big-time record companies. Awesome idea, I'm all for it. :)

RRW Whitey
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey Guys great Idea.

I think more and more the less you have to leave your house to buy anything from food, hard goods ect. ect. and even music you are ahead of the game. No hasles with lines, gas prices or driving and all the other crap you have to deal with going to a store. Just sit behind your computer and buy or sell. I have not been shopping for anything for well over 1 year... I do it all by computer. I would put the word out that this is where to come to support this idea. I know it would work.

StripeyWhitey
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
sounds like a plan to me!

icon_player_5
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I think this is an awesome idea. But if its a cover of a song, what would be done about it? Would there be royalties paid to the original artist? and what about people ripping off other peoples music and calling it theirs? Its a great idea, but there would need to be some kind of mods to keep it clean from copyright infringement.

urik
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't use it because I don't plan on selling music for now, and didn't buy music for like 8 years.
But the idea is awesome, and I support it.
Hope that it works out well.

The Overlord
04-18-2008, 01:54 PM
It's a pretty good idea. Though I wouldn't use it myself, I do know of one or two local bands that are just starting (i.e. recording a demo), and it has the potential to really help those bands get started.

dgme92
04-18-2008, 02:20 PM
This is a great idea, UG team. I look forward to seeing this later down the road.

hothot
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I think that this site would have this sooner!!!!

Wojtus
04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
That's great. I think if it grows huge the most popular bands could also make some Ultimate-Guitar tour, european in europe, american in america and stuff like this. The UGers meeting with a concert of UG stars, maybe some real rock star getting invited to play at the end of gig. It's all yours, i would ceirtanly go on such an event. Consider its organization :)

of course it would be expensive so the tickets for it...i don't know...20-30 euros as a ticket to whole meeting and concerts stuff would be cool.

emagdnimasisiht
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Jordan approves. :cheers:

psychodelia
04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I'll be interested in seeing how this works, but I don't foresee myself using this, at least initially. My mashups would be absolutely illegal to put up for sale, and I would feel guilty charging people for my original music that I have right now (not that I don't like my music, but I guess I'm more comfortable with it being free)

That being said, I think it might be fun for some people.

As to the price, we were thinking about smth like $30 for a main page featured spot and a review package, as for the ads -- smth like $5-$10 for spot on entire site, and $10-$20 if you want to target it to some specific sections of the site (like if you play metal, it makes sense to limit to pages ralated to metal). What do you think?

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you pay more to only advertise on fewer sections of the site :o Unless there's something about this statement that I misunderstood.

christianbassis
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
awesome. i would trust that people wouldnt steal on UG...

\m/Gaz
04-18-2008, 03:33 PM
nice idea guys, go for it :cheers:

Thecla
04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
I really think it is a good idea but I seriously doubt if a lot of people will actually buy the songs..

Coasternerd
04-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I think this is a great idea. No other site would be able to top that and it would put UG over the edge of more than just a myspace for rockers. It would make it the only site for music related things and it would dominate the competition.

Jimmy94
04-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Sounds good for some folks but I for one will never use it. Any music I make costs me nothing so it'll cost you nothing.

hawk5211
04-18-2008, 08:31 PM
It sounds good, so long as the music is offered in a good quality format (i.e. 320 Mp3) otherwise, frankly, im not going to pay for it.

But as a plan for earning the artists some money and exposure, and for getting good music out to other people, I say WIN!!

Andrewbiles
04-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I think this is a great idea. No other site would be able to top that and it would put UG over the edge of more than just a myspace for rockers. It would make it the only site for music related things and it would dominate the competition.

Myspace is doing the same thing.

Have to be honest and say I'm a bit 50/50 over the idea. On one hand I love the idea of solo guitarists and small time bands being able to make a bit of money for enjoying what they do as you know they're on this site thanks to a love of music. On the other I feel that it might get abused - although that's controllable - and I worry that it's just going to become another pushing tool for bigger bands just signing up for more promotion and money and would eventually take away from the great thing about this site.

Don't know... Can't think.

guitargirl_15
04-18-2008, 09:40 PM
that sounds like a totally great idea

clawsofsteel
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
sweet put everything from elenium on ug.
also will there be any classic oldies,
ex buddy holly, genesis.
also will it just be studio performances, or live too.
sounds totally sweethttp://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php#
peacehttp://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php#
devilhttp://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php#
nonono

BigFatSandwich
04-19-2008, 12:07 AM

Have to be honest and say I'm a bit 50/50 over the idea. On one hand I love the idea of solo guitarists and small time bands being able to make a bit of money for enjoying what they do as you know they're on this site thanks to a love of music. On the other I feel that it might get abused - although that's controllable - and I worry that it's just going to become another pushing tool for bigger bands just signing up for more promotion and money and would eventually take away from the great thing about this site.

You bring up a very interesting point. I don't think bands and artists should have to pay for exposure because eventually the only bands we'll hear from are the ones with the most money. Perhaps have some reviews and ad placements be determined by staff picks and some be determined by user picks/votes. Or if you do allow people to pay for exposure, a team of people definitely have to monitor that. Otherwise, if this thing takes off, you'll end up with the little guys (UGers) getting screwed.

I think this is a great idea, it just has to be ironed out a little.

crazynickman
04-19-2008, 12:21 AM
^If the whole thing is based on a popular vote, that would be the best way, I think. Voice of the people thing.

IMABBALLPLAYER
04-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Awesome idea. I could use a few extra bucks.

NoobOnZone
04-19-2008, 01:42 AM
yeah,but how are you gonna send money to me? :)

the_poison125
04-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Ok idont realy want to read all this but its probly been said

Im pretty young (As in not old enough to have a credit card)

How would i buy the songs? It would be a pain in the ass to have to get my dad to buy evreysong/ablum that i want to buy.

Other than that its a good idea.

Vendetta V
04-19-2008, 02:29 AM
may b by paypal or webmoney or just tyr bank account??

cryzhadry
04-19-2008, 04:09 AM
I Think this is a really really good idea.
but i dont like the part with the premium accounts or the whole advertising thing
i think it's ok ,when you can see one or 2 ads of these at a page but there shouldn't be too much ads for it
You'd also have to think about the kind of payment.because not every member on this site is 18 and has the opportunities to spend money on the inet

But that would be very great if that really will happen=)

ss311
04-19-2008, 06:25 AM
As a member of the UG writers' team, I have advocated and do advocate such a move. However, it would also be important for the writers to be able to receive the tracks for free (at least through streaming). That said, I'm sure this has already been considered.

Great stuff UG

Chaos Guitar
04-19-2008, 07:36 AM
I think this would be a great idea. First the profiles, now the music store. UG is on the move. I think UG should def. do this. It would be a great way for unsigned bands or artists to get there music to people.

Maitinin
04-19-2008, 07:44 AM
I think you should totally do it!

Considering the state of affairs in the dying music industri, this seems like a great time to start an initiative like this. I think that since this site has, as you say, 500k view per day, you're pretty sure to get heard, and I would use this opportunity, deffinately!

This is a great idea, and since you have the means to get it started, you should totally do it - great ideas need to be carried out!

Res_Shred_Head
04-19-2008, 08:24 AM
DOOOO IIIITTTTTT!!!
My band would love this idea, so ya go for it.

Regression
04-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'd use it to sell music (provided I can get the stuff I write upto a very good standard), but not to buy.

I never buy music online for 2 reasons, because I don't have a credit card, and because I would much rather have the actual cd. (The only exception is if a cd isn't available in nz I will buy it online, and get it sent over. But no digital music). And yes whilst I realise most bands using this will be unsigned, I will just illegally download it, then say they release a cd I will buy it.

Other than that, overall it's a pretty good idea, but I don't it would be feasible when you look at the size of UG's community, bringing in factors which would stop people buying, and the competition.

If this does go through, and you bring in a minimum fee, I think it should atleast include some profit for the artist. Otherwise everyone will be driven down to sell it for absolutely no profit, and if they don't, they will probably get criticism, or suffer loss in sales. So for the artists to benefit, the minimum fee should include profit for them.

Jackal58
04-19-2008, 09:57 AM

This is the future of music though. I believe that in the not too distant future almost all music will be distributed digitally. The artist retain more control. The consumer has greater choice. The RIAA goes the way of the dinosaur. Production and distribution costs are cut to almost 0. The end cost to the consumer drops. The artist gets a higher return on their efforts. Win-win for eveybody. Except for the current music industry.

Fraz01
04-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Providing it didn't become like myspace, I think it would be a very good idea.

crazynickman
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
This is the future of music though. I believe that in the not too distant future almost all music will be distributed digitally. The artist retain more control. The consumer has greater choice. The RIAA goes the way of the dinosaur. Production and distribution costs are cut to almost 0. The end cost to the consumer drops. The artist gets a higher return on their efforts. Win-win for eveybody. Except for the current music industry.
http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/10/when-pigs-fly-death-of-oink-birth-of.html

Long but worth the read. That goes for everyone here ::stern look at everyone::

johnny_tapia
04-19-2008, 01:40 PM
That would be a brilliant idea :)

PaperStSoapCo
04-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Is it free to use the feature if your an artist? I know the site would take a certain percentage of the songs being sold, but do you have to pay for the artist account?

smunt2small123
04-19-2008, 03:20 PM
its a prety clever idea but whats to stop people stealing the top most downloaded songs . profesional musicans could listen to track transcribe and fob it off as one his own cause most people dont have copy right . apart from that its preety clever idea .

Heavens_To_Hell
04-19-2008, 03:21 PM
How would we pay for it? Paypal or credit card or something?

grampastumpy
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Seems great to me, but it just seems like too many of us wouldn't bother to get accounts to buy and/or sell music. I imagine once it gains some momentum things will change, but building that momentum is the problem. I intend to sell by the way, though I suppose of I have an account to receive money, I will use it to buy some music as well.

ss311
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
For all of you who seem to think that under this scheme the wealthiest bands would get the most hits, this is not the case.

In fact, I'd be all for it, because if crap bands start 'shelling out' I would just give them a crap review, and tell everyone to go and tell them to improve before paying for an ad. By the way, thirty dollars, the price quoted by zappp himself, is hardly a lot of money. In fact, it is highly affordable, and certainly doesn't create a monopsony situation.

Secondly, we at UG have so much traffic that we wouldn't be in the position of having to take money from the same bands over and over again.

Thirdly, bands could choose different prices for different songs from what I understand, and chances are that if it is a poor cover or stolen chord progression, lick or riff, nobody would buy it anyway.

Of course, if some of you are worried that you'll end up buying rubbish then you obviously don't realise that you'll listen to the bands first.

Finally, as a reviewer, I would be inclined to ask for a different coloured username for this scheme so that I could access the tracks for free (at least through streaming). This is reasonable in my opinion, and perhaps when I really respect a band for their work, I'll donate money anyway (once I get a paypal account, which will be soon anyway).

P.S. I write the Unsigned Artists of the Month feature, and I don't imagine that will change much. It will still include bands that aren't featured on UG that haven't paid money. UG shall still safeguard bands' rights to review, so to speak.

one vision
04-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Again, seems like a good idea. If I submit one of my compositions, how am I to figure out what to charge.

I think it would be ideal to have some sort of guideline referring to length of the song, genre, quality of the recording, ect. to provide an approximate price for comparison.

ss311
04-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, let's face it, you're rarely going to charge over three dollars for a song, are you? I personally think that should be the maximum price, and even that is pushing it. Of course, if you get feedback telling you your songs are good, but priced too highly, you will bring the price down.

one vision
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Lol, I dont buy individual songs online, so I dont know the prices. I'm assuming its around $1.50 a song?

ss311
04-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes, I think that's about right.

We could also make it cheaper to buy more songs at once.

one vision
04-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Do label executives browse this site at all?

Ippon
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Lots of great feedback! I hope the UG Team can figure out a away to make this concept really take off.

Good Luck!

ss311
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Do label executives browse this site at all?

You never know, but if you're stranded on a desert island, you should be ready in case a boat comes in.

Toast1337
04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
u cant imagine i was the 1337 voter on this poll!!!
"Voters: 1337"
:D

its a good idea but
could the artist still sell there songs for free?

metalgear bass
04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I think it would be sweet

hardrock1315
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

weorge
04-19-2008, 06:40 PM
im gonna write my ideas in summer break after my gcse's, i got a lot of ideas which border from things close to punk to more relaxed prog rock, love the idea, facebook or whatever got arctic monkeys signed, maybe this could help some good bands too