The Essential Blues Guitar Pedal Thread!

PDA

View Full Version : The Essential Blues Guitar Pedal Thread!

dmaji1
04-20-2008, 06:59 AM
hey guys, soon for my 18th im getting a John Mayer Fender Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe,

now ive already put my order in for:

1. Ibanez Tube Screamer 808 (re-issue)
2. Vox Wah Wah Pedal
3. Boss TU-2 (not necessery but i hate tuning my guitar half a step down, using the capo trick)

What pedals do the UG community think are necessery for Blues style guitar playing

i know for a fact that my first 2 pedals are widely used but what else is widely used for Blues music such as John Mayers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy.

so please post here what you think is an Essential Blues Guitar Pedal!

thanks,
Dale
:D

Muckle
04-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Boss bd-2 <3

imgooley
04-20-2008, 07:06 AM
It depends on what kind of blues. For garage blues, I would say a big muff or some kind of fuzz is integral. And then you have Derek trucks, who goes guitar->amp with nothing in between.

Personally, I have a Big Muff, and am looking to get a Hummingbird tremolo and a Vox wah. Maybe a Boss Blues Driver when I get a full tube amp. I also want a good EQ pedal and a POG.

ze monsta
04-20-2008, 07:08 AM
I don't think there is such thing. For me, most of my favourite bluesmen didn't even know what an electric guitar was, let alone an effects pedal. I think the only thing necessary for playing blues is emotion.

imgooley
04-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Damn gus, with your delta blues players. And as Son house says "The Blues comes from the heart, not effects pedals". Or something like that.

ze monsta
04-20-2008, 07:12 AM
He said what's necessary for blues style guitar playing, to play the blues, you gotta have the blues. He didn't ask for a load of pedals for an epic guitar tone. :p:

dmaji1
04-20-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't think there is such thing. For me, most of my favourite bluesmen didn't even know what an electric guitar was, let alone an effects pedal. I think the only thing necessary for playing blues is emotion.

tru but i wanna make my emotion sound more ****ing awesome then it already does :D
ahahah

yeh lol i forgot about the Boss BD-2 but i have this thing about them that put me off cause before the first time i heard one all i heard were good things about them, and the first time i actually heard one it was through this ****ty solid state amp and it sounded horrid so i fully forgot about it, but im sure it sounds fan-fairy-tastic through a full tube amp

imgooley
04-20-2008, 07:22 AM
He said what's necessary for blues style guitar playing, to play the blues, you gotta have the blues. He didn't ask for a load of pedals for an epic guitar tone. :p:
Resonators FTW.

GD_GC
04-20-2008, 07:44 AM
I kind of agree with Gus here. And anyway, the tone comes more from the fingers than anything else. You can plug into SRV's rig and not sound like him, because no one can play exactly the way he did.

So yeah, a tubescreamer helps, but if you want a good blues sound, work on developing your personal style and playing abilities, and that will help your tone a ton more than a bunch of pedals will.

gopherthegreat
04-20-2008, 09:16 PM
what can get me a wicked fuzzy tone?

btw, there are no "necessary" pedals

imgooley
04-20-2008, 09:36 PM
what can get me a wicked fuzzy tone?

btw, there are no "necessary" pedals
Big Muff Pi.

I just got a Digitech screamin blues, and chose that over the Boss Blues Driver, only because it had more tone control.

aetherspear
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
For me I'll do a Tele into my Deluxe Reverb, then just a TS-9 to add a bit. depends on my mood.

TheDev01dOne
04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
TS - Since you're australian, sell your TS808 because it's a piece of ****, and buy an MI Audio blues pro overdrive.

But yeah I always play as: Tele/Esquire -> Tuner pedal -> Amp.. You don't need effects for blues.

Thefallofman
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
You certainly can play the blues without pedals, but there's a few that are worth having for blues stuff... a Tube Screamer (or something similar), Vox wah, Fuzz Face, maybe even a Univibe clone (since the new ones suck and you probably don't have $10,000 for an original).

I don't think a Big Muff is needed or ideal for blues. I have one, and it's my favorite distortion, but it's too boomy for blues. A Fuzz Face or an overdriven amp pushed with a Tube Screamer would be much more fitting.

Edit: John Mayer uses a delay a lot. He's got a T-Rex Replica from what I remember, but a nice analog delay will get you pretty much there.

imgooley
04-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I mainly use my Big Muff as a rhythm distortion, and then kick in my new Screamin Blues over drive pedal for an extra kick for solos.

Of course, this is me playing by myself.

But as far as electric blues, the only thing that stands out in my mind is a reverb.

Carswell98
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
^ Reverb is the greatest guitar effect ever

yet another guitar innovation we can thank Les Paul for :)

personally I don't use any effects other than reverb, but I'm going to be getting a few pedals down the road

Andrewbiles
04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
^ Reverb is the greatest guitar effect ever

yet another guitar innovation we can thank Les Paul for :)

:confused: Are you sure?
People were using reverb long before Les Paul. They used to hook up sound sources to one end of giant metal sheets and record the sound from the side in Chicago, would have said that was before Les Paul appeared. Did he created the pedal version or something?

ze monsta
04-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I know Les Paul created Multi-track recording, but didn't know he created reverb.

Axegrinder#9
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
hey guys, soon for my 18th im getting a John Mayer Fender Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe,

now ive already put my order in for:

1. Ibanez Tube Screamer 808 (re-issue)
2. Vox Wah Wah Pedal
3. Boss TU-2 (not necessery but i hate tuning my guitar half a step down, using the capo trick)

What pedals do the UG community think are necessery for Blues style guitar playing

haha with that kinda equipment, most of your blues heroes, at that age would have been jealous of you - they had nothing close to what you already do right now. but they played the blues alright.

just go with what you have man, it's more than enough there to play all the blues you want. if I were you, I'd rather get a Blues Junior, or a Blues DeVille rather than a Hot Rod Deluxe for an amp.

unless you're looking to blow a lotta cash on a boutique OD pedal, most of the OD pedals/boosters sound "better" or "worse" depending solely on the ears of the players who try 'em out. you could take say a TS808 reissue or perhaps say the Boss BD2 and trash 'em all you want, but someone would come along play through that and make it sound like the holy grail of blues tones.

learn to rely less on equipment, it's merely superficial means of arriving at a musical statement that can be made using much less. you're getting a nice high end strat from Fender. just stick with what you have, and if you're serious about your music, you'll thank yourself later for not blowing cash on unnecessary expenditures.

just my 2c.
peace,
S.

Andrewbiles
04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I know Les Paul created Multi-track recording, but didn't know he created reverb.

Well he definitely didn't create reverb as it's a natural thing, but possibly the pedal. Just did a quick search and can't find a history of the reverb pedal - not exactly a surprise.

imgooley
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I got the ultimate blues pedal. It's a pedal that you attach to one of those beer helmets and acts as a nozzle to dispense beer/liquor straight your face.

House_OfBlues56
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
i disagree with the "no pedal" theology. and also with the "6-foot pedal board" as well.
but im still a huge tone freak.

i love my blues lead tone and all im using is my strat with SCN's, a VOX AC15, and a Boss OS-2. (Overdrive/Distortion)

simplicity!

sre9981
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I normally do no pedal, but I've been loving messing around with delay and some other effects. I really want a synth though...

imgooley
04-24-2008, 10:11 PM
i disagree with the "no pedal" theology. and also with the "6-foot pedal board" as well.
but im still a huge tone freak.

i love my blues lead tone and all im using is my strat with SCN's, a VOX AC15, and a Boss OS-2. (Overdrive/Distortion)

simplicity!
Tell that to Blind Willie Johnson or Junior Kimbrough or John Lee Hooker.

House_OfBlues56
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Tell that to Blind Willie Johnson or Junior Kimbrough or John Lee Hooker.

Que?

i said like 3 different things, haha.

imgooley
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
The No Pedal theory for blues guitar.

Blind In 1 Ear
04-25-2008, 12:46 AM
i think les paul created DELAY and not reverb.

but anyways, for the TS those pedals are pretty much all you need. all you really need is a good tube amp actually. i like the ts 808 though. im probably going to get one soon. the store i go to just has to get another one in. i stalled on getting it because of the price and i already have an od pedal (boss OD-3) so it wasnt like i needed a pedal.

JustinYap
04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
haha with that kinda equipment, most of your blues heroes, at that age would have been jealous of you - they had nothing close to what you already do right now. but they played the blues alright.

just go with what you have man, it's more than enough there to play all the blues you want. if I were you, I'd rather get a Blues Junior, or a Blues DeVille rather than a Hot Rod Deluxe for an amp.

unless you're looking to blow a lotta cash on a boutique OD pedal, most of the OD pedals/boosters sound "better" or "worse" depending solely on the ears of the players who try 'em out. you could take say a TS808 reissue or perhaps say the Boss BD2 and trash 'em all you want, but someone would come along play through that and make it sound like the holy grail of blues tones.

learn to rely less on equipment, it's merely superficial means of arriving at a musical statement that can be made using much less. you're getting a nice high end strat from Fender. just stick with what you have, and if you're serious about your music, you'll thank yourself later for not blowing cash on unnecessary expenditures.

just my 2c.
peace,
S.

Just wanted to know since i'm actually planning on getting it, what's wrong with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

ze monsta
04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Theres nothing wrong with it, it's just quite trebely. And not as warm as other amps. It's very bright, which is fine if you want that, and not so fine is you don't. :)

Phill-Rock
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't like using pedals when playing the blues.

Carswell98
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
:confused: Are you sure?
People were using reverb long before Les Paul. They used to hook up sound sources to one end of giant metal sheets and record the sound from the side in Chicago, would have said that was before Les Paul appeared. Did he created the pedal version or something?

yeah that is what I meant :p:

the pedal version

Axegrinder#9
04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Just wanted to know since i'm actually planning on getting it, what's wrong with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

I wasn't overtly impressed with the sound of it to be honest; the cleans are lacking in depth, and the gain is not as warm as I thought it ought to be - I'm sure it works for a generic rock guitar situation, but it's not my thing. also I didn't find it very responsive towards playing dynamics and nuances...

that said, I haven't played the amp extensively, and by all means go ahead and test it out, but if you're really going for that quintessential blues sound, I'd recommend a Blues Deluxe or even better, a Blues DeVille reissue.