So I'm just getting into blues

PDA

View Full Version : So I'm just getting into blues

sneaky_snake
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Really started to like it when I saw the movie Black Snake Moan and was just wondering, since I don't know much about the genre, what style is Jackson playing when it starts to thunder outside? I really like the heavy feel of dread and despair that accompanies that particular sound, it's like nothing I've ever heard before.

imgooley
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Lulz, I love that movie. Carswell doesn't though.

It sounds like he is playing in open G Minor or straight open G. It's just a basic one chord slide blues, kinda like some older Howlin Wolf stuff.

TBH, that movie is part of what made me want to play guitar. That purple ES 335 is smexy. And try some Blind Willie Johnson as well, specifically Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed and Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground. They have the same aesthetic to them.

GOO EDIT:

Also look up the original song Black Snake Moan, by Blind Lemon Jefferson. Hard Time Killing Floor Blues and Devil Got My Woman by Skip James as well.

sneaky_snake
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks there buddy I will

goeke
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
in reply to the Blues question.
Black snake moan is a good blues esque movie. Another stars the karate
kid ralph macchio it also stars steve vai as the devil it is based on a true story about Ry cooder it is called Crossroads its a late 1980's movie.
anyways back to your qquestion about samuel L jackson in (B.S.M) he is playing detuned I believe open G tuning mississippi delta blues style.
this is fairly easy to play! you can even play in drop D tunning or DADFAD tune.
have any questions about any blues questions email me at Victorgoeke@gmail.com

imgooley
04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Also look into Oh Brother, Where Art Thou for another blues movie.

Vagabond21
04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
The kind of juke joint blues Jackson played in the movie was largely based on the North mississippi blues.

Particularly R.L. Burnside. The song Alice Mae is a song of Burnside's.

By the way: I figured out the main riff to black snake moan by ear for standard tuning. This might not be exactly right (seeing how it's probably in a different tuning)

-------------------------------------------------------------
----------5------3------5--------------5-------3-----5---
-----5-------------------------------5----------------------

I like doing a 12 bar blues version in G where you play the riff in G, then C, and D.

imgooley
04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Dammit, I knew it was juke joint style...

Junior Kimbrough. Listen to him.

Jimmy94
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Another stars the karate
kid ralph macchio it also stars steve vai as the devil it is based on a true story about Ry cooder it is called Crossroads

Hahaha, it's not really based on a true story is it? That would be as awesome as the karate kid being based on a true story.

tincho729
04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Also look into Oh Brother, Where Art Thou for another blues movie.
Are you sure that's a blues movie? It's really funny, but i've never noticed the blues :confused:

imgooley
04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Are you sure that's a blues movie? It's really funny, but i've never noticed the blues :confused:
Well, blues-folk. Tommy Johnson is a real person, and he plays a Skip James song. The first tune, Poor Lazarus, is a blues standard. Lonesome Valley is a blues tune. Most of the other songs are folk-blues, or hymns, which is blues for Sunday.

Carswell98
04-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Lulz, I love that movie. Carswell doesn't though.

:haha

I come into a thread and this is the first thing I read...

yes I hate that movie, a good movie needs more than a good soundtrack :p:

O' Brother Where art thou is fantastic though, and Crossroads is ok

ummm

@ TS, buy a glass slide, tune to open G, and noodle around, that is all you really need to know, find a chord chart for open G, then start to use it a little more

you'll be playing Elmore James before you know it ;)

sre9981
04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
(crossroads is based on robert johnson, not ry cooder)

Carswell98
04-22-2008, 12:50 AM
(crossroads is based on robert johnson, not ry cooder)

yeah, we know (except that guy) :p:

imgooley
04-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Try a steel slide too

opivy21
04-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Yeah, that movie is based on RL Burnside. The part where they're playing in the bar, the band is R.L. Burnside's old guitarist/friend Kenny Brown and his grandson.

aetherspear
04-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, blues-folk. Tommy Johnson is a real person, and he plays a Skip James song. The first tune, Poor Lazarus, is a blues standard. Lonesome Valley is a blues tune. Most of the other songs are folk-blues, or hymns, which is blues for Sunday.

The guy who plays Tommy Johnson is a blues guy, Chris Thomas King. He does some stuff with guitar and a DJ backing him.

ze monsta
04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
You say it's based on the RJ tale...but the man never said he did. Son House told the rumour in the late 60's, however. But Tommy Johnson used to brag to people he had sold his soul to the devil, for realz.
Brass Slides are nicer sound to me than a steel slide. Steel slides are louder, and a little brighter, but brass is more bell like.

Try some Piedmont blues, like Blind Willie McTell and Blinb Boy Fuller. I think in O Brother Where Art Thou, that's the style Tommy Johnson is pictured playing. It's quicker than delta, and a happier sound.

Open G is a very easy tuning to learn in, it's extremely simple.

imgooley
04-22-2008, 01:11 PM
The guy who plays Tommy Johnson is a blues guy, Chris Thomas King. He does some stuff with guitar and a DJ backing him.
Yeah, I have heard he did some stuff, but I haven't heard any of his tunes. He plays Blind Willie Johnson in the Scorsese blues films.