Original (Illegal) "The Real Book"

PDA

View Full Version : Original (Illegal) "The Real Book"

tyler_coleman
04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Does anybody know of a place online that sells old stock or used editions of the original "Real Book?" I'm a college-level jazz musician that has been looking for one of the originals for a couple of years now (half-heartedly), and would like to find one that isn't an exorbitant amount of money.

I've checked eBay and Amazon, but they both have ****ty editions.

Just wondering if anybody knew of an internet gem that could get me what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

Jimmy94
04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I've got the 5th edition of the Real Book, if you want to talk about it (WINK WINK) send me a pm.

Nick_
04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
The current Hal Leonard is fine (R.B. V6)

The illegal ones were filled with mistakes anyway

And if it doesn't have what you want, transcription is some of the best practice you can get.

ze monsta
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
No you gonna die aids
Enjoy your ban. ;)

Resiliance
04-30-2008, 07:55 PM
The current Hal Leonard is fine (R.B. V6)

The illegal ones were filled with mistakes anyway

And if it doesn't have what you want, transcription is some of the best practice you can get.

The old player-made ones are still widely used by professional jazz musicians everywhere. "Mistakes" or not, those are the benchmark, often times.

Can't help you though TS.

Andrewbiles
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Why illegal in the title if you want to buy a copy?
Was just about to close it thinking you were after people to send you links to downloads and stuff then decided to read what you actually said after seeing Resi had posted.

Resiliance
04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Why illegal in the title if you want to buy a copy?
Was just about to close it thinking you were after people to send you links to downloads and stuff then decided to read what you actually said after seeing Resi had posted.

Ah, it's "illegal" because there's no official publisher or anything. It's just a bunch of musician-made transcriptions, added to and modified by and for various musicians, and spread like that for a few decades.

Basically, the only thing illegal about it is that you wouldn't be buying any of the licensed real books, even though they don't have the same standards or transcriptions...

I would agree though, Vol. 6 isn't a bad one, just... Depends on what situation you're in gig-wise.

Andrewbiles
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
^ That actually sounds really interesting.
Might have to look into it.
Thanks for the explanation :cheers:

Led man32
05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a collection of about 40 real books that I got on a DVD included is the 5th edition realbook in C, Bb, vocal, and bass. Just look on ebeay you can get them there. It's a crazy collection of many books.

By the way I paid $5.00