Sound engineering career

PDA

View Full Version : Sound engineering career

david_safc
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Recently I've been considering sound engineering as a career path. I was wondering how one would get into this sort of career? Would I need to go to university and take a sound engineering course or do qualifications not make a difference? It would be great if someone (preferably from this side of the pond) could shed some light on this for me because I've been curious about it lately. Also I'm doing maths, physics, IT and Geography at A level if that matters.

elliott FTW
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
im doing somehting similar.
except what im doing as ive scrapped Alevels and gone straight into a NAt diploma in media at college, from there you can go on to a sound engineer degree.
im doing TV broadcasting operations btw.

alkalineweeman
04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah you'll need to go to college for this, i done the 1st year and dropped out because i needed to make money but it was hella fun, i'd recomend it.
i didnt need any major qualifications but i guess it depends were you apply and how many spots they have open.

david_safc
04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Where are you doing you're degree at? I've just been having a quick look around tonight and none of the universities really have a "sound engineering" degree listed. I'd like to continue my A levels still so hopefully I could get on a course with those.

Joe4/4/1992
04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
my advice would be to ask around at different universities, and sound engineers etc, my uncle is a producer/sound engineer and as far as im aware he didnt have to do anything special but it cant hurt to ask around
i'd like to do something along those lines but i dunno if my parents would let me
anyway, dunno if that was any help or if i was just blabbering lol

elliott FTW
04-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Where are you doing you're degree at? I've just been having a quick look around tonight and none of the universities really have a "sound engineering" degree listed. I'd like to continue my A levels still so hopefully I could get on a course with those.

check out Ravensbourne in chislehurst (soon moving to greenwich)
a lot of technology based unis should do one.

maisey ferret
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Tonmeister Sound recording degree at surrey university is WORLD renown for music technology. I didnt get on, but tbh i didnt really like it. they were all rather stuck up.

There are hundreds of music tech courses around. but higher education deffinately is the way. i made sure to chose a course with a year in industry, a year earning money and making your own contacts. i also organised my self work experience at the BBC through a friend of a friend. it really is all about who you know as much as what you know...

what a-levels you doing?

Jared R. Boyd
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
To:Joe4/4/1992

That next to last line about your parents not wanting you to, that is crazy talk.
Don't ever let someone else decide what makes you happy.
If this is something you are intrested in doing, check it out.
Take responsibility for your self. Your parents will not always be there, but you will.
Pursue your own goals and let no one else determine your future.

-Ryan

strat212
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
well, on THIS side of the pond people usually go to a psuedo-university for that kind of stuff. I was talking to a professional sound eingeneer a few days ago (this is in California) and he went to a school in Hollywood that took him through all types of education having to with sound. Anyway, I say "psuedo-university" because it's not really one of the universitys you would typically think of. I belive that it is usually at fairly smaller more specialized schools that people go for this training, however

I'M SURE THERE'S COURSES IN THIS PATH AT A TYPICAL UNIVERSITY.

TempoTantrum
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
i've asked plenty of sound engineering graduates about this, they say it's one of the toughest jobs to get into. you'll have to work for free fetching coffee and occasionally helping for like 6 7 8 months before they even consider hiring you, and most people let you go to make way for a new free slave....but dont let that discourage you...

Joe4/4/1992
04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
hey ryan, thanks a lot for that advice, i mean they're letting me take music tech as an a-level but i think they see it as a fad tbh, thanks again for the avice, iv had a rough day so that cheered me up,
cheers
- joe

david_safc
04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Tonmeister Sound recording degree at surrey university is WORLD renown for music technology. I didnt get on, but tbh i didnt really like it. they were all rather stuck up.

There are hundreds of music tech courses around. but higher education deffinately is the way. i made sure to chose a course with a year in industry, a year earning money and making your own contacts. i also organised my self work experience at the BBC through a friend of a friend. it really is all about who you know as much as what you know...

what a-levels you doing?

Gah I wouldn't get on because I would only have 2 out of the 3 A levels. I'm not doing music at A level, nor do I have a GCSE in it.

maisey ferret
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Gah I wouldn't get on because I would only have 2 out of the 3 A levels. I'm not doing music at A level, nor do I have a GCSE in it.

Im hopefully going to huddersfield in sept to do popular music studies with music technology. They are having a massive multi-million pound set of studios built! A priority for me was the facillities on the courses i looked at. Had to have pro-tools and logic as these are the most professional software's used in the industry!

I basically wana be a producer! That course has a good basis of musicology studies as well as how to use a studio to its full advantage!

If you wana go into sound engineer then they'll always ask for maths and science! As thats what being an engineer is all about. more scientific than creative!

david_safc
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Im hopefully going to huddersfield in sept to do popular music studies with music technology.

I basically wana be a producer! That course has a good basis of musicology studies as well as how to use a studio to its full advantage!

If you wana go into sound engineer then they'll always ask for maths and science! As thats what being an engineer is all about. more scientific than creative!

Cool, hope it works out for you man :) I just wish I had music qualifications lol

Jared R. Boyd
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Joe4/4/1992

Dude, anytime.

As far as the thread point is concerned and to keep on topic. . .
From what I hear Berkley is an excelent choice for USA folk. Overseas I guess could look into online classes? Not sure about that though at all.

-Ryan

turbulenced
05-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Leeds College of Music is great.

chea_man
05-01-2008, 06:44 PM
i dont know about over there, but here in the US you go to a university and major in it. and keep in mind, at least here, you still have your regular music classes. you have to pass all of your theory classes, ear training classes, and keyboarding classes. theres a hell of a lot more than just stting up mics and hitting the red button

chea_man
05-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Joe4/4/1992

Dude, anytime.

As far as the thread point is concerned and to keep on topic. . .
From what I hear Berkley is an excelent choice for USA folk. Overseas I guess could look into online classes? Not sure about that though at all.

-Ryan
i went to BERKLEE.
they have the highest percentage of international students of any american college/university. if you dont mind going to school in the USA, its a great place. you need to be a pretty solid musician to get in though

MrPillow
05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
You also need to have a pretty solid checkbook.

fridge_raider
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Im hopefully going to huddersfield in sept to do popular music studies with music technology. They are having a massive multi-million pound set of studios built! A priority for me was the facillities on the courses i looked at. Had to have pro-tools and logic as these are the most professional software's used in the industry!

Hehe, I'll see you there!

JaMeZtEr
05-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Recently I've been considering sound engineering as a career path. I was wondering how one would get into this sort of career? Would I need to go to university and take a sound engineering course or do qualifications not make a difference? It would be great if someone (preferably from this side of the pond) could shed some light on this for me because I've been curious about it lately. Also I'm doing maths, physics, IT and Geography at A level if that matters.

since you live in england, you might wanna check out SAE. i think they have an honors bachelor degree in audio engineering (well the one in england and singapore, anyway. the ones in new york and california are just diplomas, and the one in atlanta is an associate degree.) but since you live in england, thats probably the way to go!

i'm thinking of going down the same path, and i've just completed my IGCSEs. probably doing the IB then checking out a couple of schools. I'm american so i'm thinking of NYU, but i dont know if you really want to fly a couple thousand miles to go to college...