Glenn Schwartz (trust me, check this out)

PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Schwartz (trust me, check this out)

Jimmy94
05-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Some of you may have noticed that every now and then I mention Glen Schwarz. Glen is the most amazing guitarist I have ever heard and will probably ever hear in my life. He lives in Cleveland and plays at a bar on the west flats called Major Hopple's every Thursday for free. He usually starts around 9:30 and plays until whenever he wants, between 1:30 and 2 or sometimes even later.

He was an original founding member of the James Gang (he was later replaced by Joe Walsch when he quit) and he also played with groups in the 60's called Pacific Gas and Electric and after that The All Saved Freaks Band.

The reason behind the name of that last band is because Glen was mixed up with a cult in the 70's that clearly affected him. He became a born again Christian to the extreme times a thousand. Frequently during his concerts he will make sexist, racist and inflammatory rants. If an audience member isn't to his liking, he will call them out and hassle them. He often calls women in the bar *****s and sluts. This is why he doesn't play anywhere else. All of his lyrics focus around God and his religious beliefs. Understandably, because of how messed up he is he is not very consistent. One night he will be on fire, another night he will have trouble playing through a single song the whole night. When he is on fire though, there is nothing else on this world like it.

Here are some of the tunes he has played recently. He does not like being recorded but some friends of mine at the bar that are regulars like me (some seeing Glen for the past 15 years, some driving as far away as Buffalo, New York to see him) have started recording him weekly. This music HAS to be shared.

Here are a few songs from the 4/24/08 show.

First set tunes (when he is just getting warmed up.)

Proud Man (Jam)
Motor City (Jam)
Spanish (Jam)

Middle first set tunes (he's starting to take it up a notch)

C# Boogie Jam
American Female (AT&T style)
Led Zep rant
American Female AT&T continued
My Poor Generation

The show stopper, 10 minute guitar solo. Check out the crowd response at around the 8:00 mark

Blues For God
Preaching Outro

I really hope you guys enjoy this, if you do I'll continue to upload highlights from his shows, but keep in mind there's nothing like being there in person! :)

http://www.kundor.org/pub/glenn%2008-04-24.zip

Jimmy94
05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
anyone listen?

Dimebag22
05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Sick.

I'm downloading at the moment. I'll get back to you when I listen to them :)

Jimmy94
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
bump!

I'm not kidding, this is something YOU shouldn't miss! I replaced the link in the first post with a host that should download much faster.

Dimebag22
05-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I listened to him, and he was quite good. But I don't really see the big hype. Yeah, he can play the blues. But he's not anything crazy, in my opinion. To me, he just seemed like a giant asshole that thinks he is way better than everyone else, who could play the blues fairly well.