Miles Davis

PDA

View Full Version : Miles Davis

due 07
05-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I searched, and couldnt find a miles davis thread, and I couldnt believe it. Maybe because he doesn't play guitar... But anyways, discuss miles davis here.

If im not supposed to have this, forgive me.

Nick_
05-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll start this off with a difficult question:

Which of the quintets do you prefer?

It's rather an unfair question, because they're so dramatically different. I know I can't give an answer that I'm sure of. At the moment, I'll lean to the second. But that might change tomorrow (especially if you count the very late stuff right before kind of blue. bad cannonball! stop being so melodic!).

due 07
05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
im partial to the first. But picking quintets is like picking beatles songs... Your favorite might change tomorrow.

ze monsta
05-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I like Miles Davis. I don't know much about jazz, but it's listenable, to me. I find most jazz hard to listen to.

Axegrinder#9
05-03-2008, 06:46 PM
hahah well I mean Miles is Jazz in a way you know?

slidething31
05-03-2008, 07:04 PM
"if peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis"

I love Kind of Blue. It would be the one jazz album i would want if i could only have one.

due 07
05-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Yeah, when you look back on it, it revolutionized jazz. Miles was one of the first ones to improv over a chord for 4 or more measures in jazz.

TheHeartbreaker
05-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Not intending to hijack the current discussion of the thread, I'm curious to see if anyone else owns the album Pangaea?

As far as I'm aware it was originally released only in Japan, but is now more accessible. My father is a huge Miles Davis fan, probably owning most of, if not all of, his discography. I know many other Davis fans, but I don't think I know anyone else who owns this particular album.

due 07
05-04-2008, 12:05 PM
nope, i dont have it. Ill look into it it. Is it available in america now?

Axegrinder#9
05-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Not intending to hijack the current discussion of the thread, I'm curious to see if anyone else owns the album Pangaea?

As far as I'm aware it was originally released only in Japan, but is now more accessible. My father is a huge Miles Davis fan, probably owning most of, if not all of, his discography. I know many other Davis fans, but I don't think I know anyone else who owns this particular album.

hmm interesting, I haven't heard of it even! I'm gonna have to dig up some more info on this then...

PS: I have 2 live recordings of Miles with the Bitches Brew feat. King Douche Jarrett (I mean the guy's a douche, but he's my favorite pianist). :p:

due 07
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
^^true, he is a douche, and true, he is a great pianist. Im not sure if hes my favorite, but hes pretty good. Where did you get them, anyways? I bet there would be some sweet jamming on that record.

Axegrinder#9
05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
^ for all your live show needs, I would direct you to http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/

and yeah there's some intense jamming going on there. one of the shows is at the Filmore West, and the other in Japan. The second show features an even more expansive line-up with guitar players like Pete Cosey in there. This is some of the funkiest jazz fusion recordings that I've heard.

TheHeartbreaker
05-07-2008, 04:08 PM
nope, i dont have it. Ill look into it it. Is it available in america now?

I believe so, but it's difficult to find. Ordering it from the Internet is your best shot.

laurel333
05-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Which of the quintets do you prefer?

I prefer the second (Davis, Shorter, Hancock, Carter, Williams) and i'm listening to E.S.P atm :)

Very good album

First quintet did fantastically on Kind Of Blue though.

Anyone own A Tribute To Jack Johnson, or In A Silent Way?

ze monsta
05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I have In A Silent Way. I heard Kind Of Blues first, when I was about 11; and heard In A Silent Way about 2 months ago, when I realised it was on my brothers shelf.

johnny_tapia
05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Recommendations? :)

ze monsta
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I'd say get Kind Of Blue, and In A Silent Way. But that's only because that's what I've heard. I really do like In a Silent Way. It's on my sleeping playlist. :haha

johnny_tapia
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
^ Cheers for the recs! :)
"if peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis".
Great film :haha

INDUSTRIALMETAL
05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I prefer his 2nd quintet. But as far as in studio goes, you can't beat Bill Evans on piano.

Nick_
05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
^He's quite something live, too - Sunday at the Village Vanguard is one of those essential to a collection albums.

Jack Johnson is rocking - Apparently much of it was conceived when McLaughin, Cobham et al were waiting for Miles to show up and just started jamming with the tape going.

Does anyone find that Miles' fusion can be introduced into fans of modern indie/electric/eclectic artsy stuff? It's wierd, they seem unusually responsive to it. Once they hook, you can often ease them into more traditional Miles.

GnikNus
05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
love kind of blue, need to get some more of his stuff..^and i used to be one of those artsy indie people, ha

ohhey9040
05-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Anyone own A Tribute To Jack Johnson, or In A Silent Way?
I've been listening to In A Silent Way a lot lately, it's an amazing album. I would almost go as far as to say it's my favorite Miles album ever, but I need to get into more of his discography before I can have a truly definitive favorite. I have Jack Johnson but I haven't really listened to it much. I need to get on that. The only exposure I have to that era is the version of Yesternow on the first disc of The Cellar Door Sessions (another great album).

What does everyone here think of On the Corner? It's a polarizing album that people love and loathe w/equal passion. I personally think it's great, but I can see why people dislike it.

laurel333
05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah Yesternow is a good song

I really love Miles's fusion days, excluding Tutu - cos that annoys me

All his stuff with John McLaughlin is fantastic!

jim morrison714
05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
i bought bitches brew yesterday. it's one hell of an album

vintage x metal
05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I absolutely love this man. he's all I listen to when i study (which is quite a lot :p: )

due 07
05-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Did you guys get into him through his electric or acoustic stuff?

Acoustic for me.

ohhey9040
05-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Much to my surprise, it was Kind of Blue. I really didn't get into his fusion stuff until much more recently, but now it seems I can't get enough of it.

Beakwithteeth
05-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I gotta get some Miles Davis I feel like a huge noob being a Blues and Jazz regular with no Miles Davis...

I am a huge jazz noob in general :sad:

meh!
05-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Not a great trumpet player, but truly innovative and I also don't really like a lot of his tones.

That said, I do really like Kind of Blue (like everyone else) but I can't get into his more fusiony stuff like Bitch's brew, to out there for me.

It also doesn't help that I think John Mglauchlin is a lot of notes and fluff and no substance.

theneildeal
05-15-2008, 05:49 AM
The thing about Miles Davis to me is that his albums are either hit or miss. I love half of them, and really don't like the other half. For example, Kind Of Blue, Steamin', Birth Of The Cool etc are really good albums that i could listen to all day. But the likes of Tutu and Sketches in Spain are albums that i just can't get in to.

He's always compared to Coltrane as a jazz innovator, but in my opinion, Coltrane has an album for every mood, and i could listen to every one of his albums and love it!

meh!
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
The thing about Miles Davis to me is that his albums are either hit or miss. I love half of them, and really don't like the other half. For example, Kind Of Blue, Steamin', Birth Of The Cool etc are really good albums that i could listen to all day. But the likes of Tutu and Sketches in Spain are albums that i just can't get in to.

He's always compared to Coltrane as a jazz innovator, but in my opinion, Coltrane has an album for every mood, and i could listen to every one of his albums and love it!

I think that just means you like Coltrane more, to be honest. I think Miles David was many leagues more historically important than Coltrane - though nowhere need as good a musician.

theneildeal
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
of course yeah, Davis was a lot more important to jazz

Thefallofman
05-15-2008, 10:29 AM
love kind of blue, need to get some more of his stuff
I'm in the same boat.

It's the only jazz album I have actually- I'm a complete noob.

Axegrinder#9
05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
I think that just means you like Coltrane more, to be honest. I think Miles David was many leagues more historically important than Coltrane - though nowhere need as good a musician.

seconded

theneildeal
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm in the same boat.

It's the only jazz album I have actually- I'm a complete noob.

check out the suggested albums list that's stickied in this forum

ohhey9040
05-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Not a great trumpet player, but truly innovative and I also don't really like a lot of his tones.

That said, I do really like Kind of Blue (like everyone else) but I can't get into his more fusiony stuff like Bitch's brew, to out there for me.

It also doesn't help that I think John Mglauchlin is a lot of notes and fluff and no substance.

Bitches Brew is the wrong place to start if you're looking to get into his fusion stuff. I'd get In A Silent Way because it is a little more closely tied to his jazz roots and it's a lot shorter too, not to mention a lot better imho.

But I haven't listened to enough of his jazz stuff yet. I love Kind of Blue, but I've only given Birth of the Cool and Sketches of Spain a couple of listens. Usually when I'm in a jazz mode, I go for Coltrane so I haven't quite gotten around to those yet.

jim morrison714
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
personally, i enjoy bitches brew more than kind of blue

meh!
05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Bitches Brew is the wrong place to start if you're looking to get into his fusion stuff. I'd get In A Silent Way because it is a little more closely tied to his jazz roots and it's a lot shorter too, not to mention a lot better imho.

But I haven't listened to enough of his jazz stuff yet. I love Kind of Blue, but I've only given Birth of the Cool and Sketches of Spain a couple of listens. Usually when I'm in a jazz mode, I go for Coltrane so I haven't quite gotten around to those yet.

I didn't start with Bitch's brew, I was just saying that I can't get into it.

ohhey9040
05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I can definitely understand that. Truth be told, I'm not huge into Bitches Brew either. I like it, but it meanders too much to keep me immersed in every piece. And it's a very dense album both in terms of length and the amount of instruments performing together on each piece. It's probably my least favorite of Miles' fusion albums.

Axegrinder#9
05-15-2008, 09:14 PM

get your head checked and then drop acid.

The Baphomets
05-16-2008, 07:53 PM
My favorite album by Miles is The Complete On the Street Corner Sessions, its just got all the best songs of his and they're all so long and some pretty trippy.

meh!
05-16-2008, 09:27 PM
get your head checked and then drop acid.

lol

I just don't like him, I don't like what he plays... like...any of it. I really dislike mashavishnu orchestra and I don't like his playing with Davis.

laurel333
05-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Bitches Brew is not good to get into Miles - its fusion, but yeah you're better starting with In A Silent Way.

It's closer to his turning point stuff, like E.S.P

But you must own Kind Of Blue....

TheHeartbreaker
05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Bitches Brew is not good to get into Miles - its fusion, but yeah you're better starting with In A Silent Way.

I agree.

I remember listening to Black Beauty: Miles Davis at the Fillmore West when I first began listening to him. My reaction was, simply put, :confused: .

Beakwithteeth
05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
I got Kind of Blue today at Wal Mart for 7 dollars and it is worthy of the hype. It's one of the first jazz CDs I have gotten (I have some Flecktones, Cab Calloway and some odds and ends) and now I just want a bunch more. :sad:

TheHeartbreaker
05-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Kind of Blue is a great album. It was one of Duane Allman's favorites, and helped him a lot with improvising.

Metalology
05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, Bitches Brew, Milestones...

Man, I love Miles.

Beakwithteeth
05-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Kind of Blue is a great album. It was one of Duane Allman's favorites, and helped him a lot with improvising.

Yeah, there is an article in the liner notes about him getting influenced by it. It is such a great album, I will definitely be listening to it for a long time. Ican't wait to get some more of his stuff, I am really liking this whole jazz thing :p:

Amart
05-24-2008, 10:09 PM
It was Miles' fusion album Aura that really got me into jazz in the first place. It was pretty different from the rock music I was listening to before, but after listening to McLaughlin's incredible solo on Orange so many times, I got used to it.

Speaking of that solo, I first got an understanding of how alien jazz phrasing is to rock from trying to learn it.

Pretty different style from Jeff Beck :p:

lol

I just don't like him, I don't like what he plays... like...any of it. I really dislike mashavishnu orchestra and I don't like his playing with Davis.
Hmm...

Then maybe you should check out some of his acoustic music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7kxpPMMxMI

Gotta love that percussion solo at 7:53 :D

laurel333
05-27-2008, 04:09 PM
It was Miles' fusion album Aura that really got me into jazz in the first place. It was pretty different from the rock music I was listening to before, but after listening to McLaughlin's incredible solo on Orange so many times, I got used to it.

Not got that album? Worth the money? Worth a listen?

Amart
05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Not got that album? Worth the money? Worth a listen?
I enjoy listening too it. The only other fusion album of his I have is Bitches Brew, and it's definitely nothing like that. Where Bitches Brew has that really dense sound, Aura is a lot more open, based on synth vamps with sparce playing.

Ambient would be how to describe it I guess.

Axegrinder#9
05-29-2008, 04:35 AM
lol

really... well stick with it and try to dig into his playing, you'll lose out something valuable in this life if you miss out on what McLaughlin's trying to express in his playing.

laurel333
05-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Seconded

McLaughlin isn't all just scales up and down the fretboard at lightning speed. He's very soulful - if you dont want to get into him through Miles then i recommend either Extrapolations or My Goal's Beyond (the latter is acoustic).

Pop over to the John McLaughlin thread some time ;)

imgooley
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I need to get my hands on Bitches Brew. I have heard good things about it, but the only Miles I have is Kind of Blue.

meh!
05-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Bah! Away McLaughlin Fanboys! :p:

I've got enough things to be getting on with, music-wise :p:

laurel333
05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Hehe, suit yourself;)

Were we in the metal forum/pit, you'd get a mouthful of abuse, but here we're nice and respect everyone's view :)

Back to Miles - anyone dig his pre-Kind Of Blue stuff? Sketches Of Spain? Birth Of The Cool?

ze monsta
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
^ True, because he's a CC.

Ahhhh, who am I kidding no one give a damn about CC's . :haha

I jest, I jest. :p:

imgooley
05-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes, I actually prefer the bop to the modal/fusion stuff.

The stuff he did with Charlie Parker was awesome

meh!
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Hehe, suit yourself;)

Were we in the metal forum/pit, you'd get a mouthful of abuse, but here we're nice and respect everyone's view :)

Back to Miles - anyone dig his pre-Kind Of Blue stuff? Sketches Of Spain? Birth Of The Cool?

And it's a better forum because of it.

I like Sketches of Spain, not heard Birth of the Cool though.

laurel333
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
How about Milestones? Now thats a fantastic album i think

Straight, No Chaser (we do a cover of that) - very good
And the title track of course

imgooley
05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Straight No Chaser is a Monk song/album. Did Miles play on it?

I like the Mile+Monk stuff.

Nick_
05-29-2008, 06:59 PM
First quintet definitely recorded one (Miles did several Monk tunes in that era)

imgooley
05-30-2008, 01:35 AM
How is Bitches Brew? I haven't heard anything from it.

laurel333
05-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Yeah Straight, No Chaser is a Monk tune, but Miles covers it on Milestones - does it very well.

Monk isnt on that album

imgooley
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I need to get Milestones, then. Is that a bop record?

laurel333
05-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Yup - it's pre-Kind Of Blue, but only just.

imgooley
05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a track with Miles and John Lee Hooker, called Murder. Forgot where it's from, but it's awesome.

Beakwithteeth
05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I have a track with Miles and John Lee Hooker

:eek:

imgooley
05-30-2008, 09:53 PM
^I know, it was so cool it almost gave me hypothermia.

laurel333
05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Woooo! Murder?

This i got to hear - anywhere i can listen to it online?
Or can someone email it to me?

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Me too, I love me some Mr John Lee Hooker.

Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgUFZQ4-HcY

imgooley
05-31-2008, 11:53 AM
^The version I have is a lot darker than that one, with a different intro. John Lee plays the riff from Ground Hog Blues, and Miles plays some hot licks over top. Add me on Aim if you want it.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't have AIM, it's for n00bs. Get MSN.

MSN > AIM.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I also have yahoo. AIM is more user friendly, because it was already installed in my comp. I tried downloading MSN, but it wouldn't go.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Erhm, could you email it to me? or use Megaupload.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Fine, I'll e mail it. Anyone else want it?

laurel333
05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah meee

Please :)

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Me too. :D

DayTripper1967
08-23-2008, 09:07 PM
*BUMP*

so recently, i purchased both kind of blue and sketches of spain. i LOVE kind of blue and sketches of spain i just enjoy. i'm looking to expand my collection, so where should i go from here? i probably would want something similar to kind of blue since i love it so much. every song on there is just perfect.

andy_woodhead
08-24-2008, 01:47 PM
*BUMP*

so recently, i purchased both kind of blue and sketches of spain. i LOVE kind of blue and sketches of spain i just enjoy. i'm looking to expand my collection, so where should i go from here? i probably would want something similar to kind of blue since i love it so much. every song on there is just perfect.

Going backwards a bit, Milestones and the 4 Prestige albums (Cookin', Relaxin'. Steamin', Workin') are all great.
Going forwards a bit, my real favourite is In Person Friday And Saturday Nights At The Blackhawk - Complete. It's a 4CD set, but totally worth it.

Axegrinder#9
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
i probably would want something similar to kind of blue since i love it so much. every song on there is just perfect.

Oliver Nelson's "Blues and the Abstract Truth". The line-up on that album is akin to a rock supergroup, featuring Bill Evans, Paul Chambers or Ron Carter (can't remember), Jimmy Cobb, and I believe Wayne Shorter (though I could be wrong on that one). Oliver Nelson himself plays trumpet.

Thursdae
08-25-2008, 01:32 PM
OK.. so I decided to listen to Miles Davis after unknowingly analyzing a chord progression of his in the NAME THAT CHORD thread in MT. I got to Sketches of Spain (which I forgot how awesome it is) and Saeta came on. In the beginning of this song, there is a theme that I have heard before somewhere else. It starts at roughly the :30 second mark and goes til about the 1 min mark and sounds like a few trumpets playing it. I know that I've heard this theme elsewhere, I just can't put my finger on where. I'm not sure if Miles took it from a classical composer (I'm thinking Tchaikovsky for some reason) or if a later artist took it from him.. I've searched on Google to no avail, asked a friend to listen and see if he knew it.. and I've come up with nothing. Hopefully one of you could help me out here. Any help is appreciated.

GnikNus
08-30-2008, 10:46 AM
got kind of blue finally, amazing album, though you already knew that

pangui
09-05-2008, 06:14 AM

YES!! I love that album, I've got Pangaea as well (as in I actually own the physical releases of both). The interaction between the whole band is great, and the linear notes help understand what it's all about as well.

Anyways, I'm mostly a fan of Miles' fusion recordings, I've got most of them except Big Fun and Get Up With It. I think the whole Teo Macero editing technique really got me into it. Yet again, I've got Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue and Round About Midnight as well and I love them just as much :)

EDIT: Oh, and Aura. It's the first Miles album I heard (surprisingly), and it just left me amazed.

TheHeartbreaker
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
got kind of blue finally, amazing album, though you already knew that

Glad you enjoy it. :p:

imgooley
09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Birth of Cool>KoB.

Thursdae
09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Anyone have a guess at my question? The theme at the beginning and end of Saeta.. where else have I heard it?

slidething31
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Anyone have a guess at my question? The theme at the beginning and end of Saeta.. where else have I heard it?
I just listened, and I have no idea. Didn't ring any bells.

Thursdae
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
^ Dang. Thanks for trying at least.

pangui
09-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I had a few good listens and I'm pretty sure you're just getting it mixed up with some other trumpet fanfare type of thing. It's an original by Gil Evans, so I doubt he threw in something else ;)

samoo
09-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Does Miles have a favorite key? He has a definite mood. I haven't good that good of an ear atm?

Thursdae
09-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I had a few good listens and I'm pretty sure you're just getting it mixed up with some other trumpet fanfare type of thing. It's an original by Gil Evans, so I doubt he threw in something else ;)

Yes, I suppose it could be a kind of musical deja vu happening here. Thanks. :o

Hendrix_fan_14
11-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Bitches Brew >

The artwork for it is amazing.
and Jazz Fusion ftw.

fudger
11-02-2008, 03:42 AM
^^Bitches Brew is a very solid and inspiring jazz fusion album.
but i am more of a fan of A Tribute To Jack Johnson.

pangui
11-05-2008, 06:14 AM
but i am more of a fan of A Tribute To Jack John.
Yeah, that's my favourite album of all time I'd say (Jack Johnson). Bitches Brew is solid as well, but the audio quality seems to be a bit dull compared to his other fusion work, which is a real shame.

fudger
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
duh forgot to put son at the end of john duh..

but that album is just epic. two tracks of pure godlyness.

Lúdramán
11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
that bassline in bitches brew :liplick:

fudger
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
the pounding bassline in Right Off :D

ohhey9040
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
but i am more of a fan of A Tribute To Jack Johnson.
I love those two, but they both pale in comparison to In A Silent Way. That album anticipated so many genres of music.

fudger
11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
yea true In a Silent Way was the start of his fusion era which pretty much changed jazz forever. its a very good album pretty much anything Miles and John McLaughlin touches is just epic. its all good in my book.

pangui
11-09-2008, 06:42 AM
I love those two, but they both pale in comparison to In A Silent Way. That album anticipated so many genres of music.
Also one of my favourites, I think it's also one of the easiest to listen to from his fusion period since the sections are easier to distinguish, compared to other albums such as On the Corner, which sound like 19 minutes of the same stuff over and over if you don't listen carefully (or read along with the song descriptions in the liner notes, which I do) :haha

srvflood
11-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I honestly can't listen to much of his fusion. I like it, but compared to his other stuff I can't enjoy it as much. It seems too far out there and just way too spacey. I understand that it's good music and I listen to it occasionally but he should be much better known for his other stuff.

ohhey9040
11-09-2008, 03:24 PM
^I agree to a point. I think his other stuff needs to be better known, but I think his fusion stuff is just as innovative as all his other stuff. I know it sounds cliche, but his fusion period is my favorite era of his. Although his second quintet comes a close second. That group is one of the most underappreciated in jazz.

pangui
11-11-2008, 03:35 AM
^I agree to a point. I think his other stuff needs to be better known, but I think his fusion stuff is just as innovative as all his other stuff. I know it sounds cliche, but his fusion period is my favorite era of his. Although his second quintet comes a close second. That group is one of the most underappreciated in jazz.
I'd disagree with that, I'm pretty sure they're regarded as one of the best jazz line ups ever created... I think the name "second great quintet" is a testemate to that. And I agree, they are a fantastic group, unfortunately the only recording of them I've got at the moment is Miles Smiles, and I've heard Nefertiti too (song not album).

ohhey9040
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
^I meant more by the mainstream (by jazz standards) public. Your right, people in the jazz community are aware of their importance, but outside of that, the group gets overshadowed by Kind of Blue and Miles' fusion stuff.

korinaflyingv
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
I really like Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew. What should I get next?

Mongoose87
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I really like Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew. What should I get next?

Any of Cookin, Relaxin, Workin and Steamin with the Miles Davis Quintet.

Gris-Gris-Man
11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Kind of Blue
On the Corner
Miles Smiles
Miles in the Sky
Bitches Brew

those are my favorites

ze monsta
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
^What about In A Silent Way ?

imgooley
11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Sketches in Spain?
:o

Gris-Gris-Man
11-19-2008, 12:05 AM
^What about In A Silent Way ?

i like it but not one of my top favs.......doesnt mean i dont like it :D

Thursdae
11-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Sketches of Spain?
:o

FTFY.. and Yes.

pangui
11-21-2008, 03:29 AM
^I meant more by the mainstream (by jazz standards) public. Your right, people in the jazz community are aware of their importance, but outside of that, the group gets overshadowed by Kind of Blue and Miles' fusion stuff.
Aah fair enough, I see what you mean. I especially think Shorter's work in that group is overlooked, seeing as he was the main composer for them.

Gris-Gris-Man
12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I can definitely understand that. Truth be told, I'm not huge into Bitches Brew either. I like it, but it meanders too much to keep me immersed in every piece. And it's a very dense album both in terms of length and the amount of instruments performing together on each piece. It's probably my least favorite of Miles' fusion albums.
you know i thought i was the only one who didnt think bitches brew was the greatest, i think he has way better fusion albums...dont get me wrong i love some of the tracks alot but its not what i thought it was cracked up to be. I think In a Silent Way and On the Corner are better. Especially On the Corner, not mentioned enough it seems but its all good, cause i dig it

aetherspear
12-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Anyone heard the new 50th anniversary kind of blue album. Its pretty sweet, they include a second disc with lots of outtakes and such.

Gris-Gris-Man
12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
WOW I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!

i was listening to the radio, THE RADIO, of all things and all the sudden "Black Satin" by Miles Davis came on!!!!! i was in shock. but then they played another song by Miles, but i didnt know what it was, it was fusion, sounded close to something that might be on "On The Corner" but its not. is there a COMPLETE RECORDING CD of On the Corner?

ohhey9040
12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
^Yeah, it's a 4 or 5 disc set I believe. I don't have it myself but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Gris-Gris-Man
12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
ok thanks man! but could you imagine, hearing Black Satin on the radio?!? i was shellshocked

pangui
12-28-2008, 05:48 AM
WOW I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!

i was listening to the radio, THE RADIO, of all things and all the sudden "Black Satin" by Miles Davis came on!!!!! i was in shock. but then they played another song by Miles, but i didnt know what it was, it was fusion, sounded close to something that might be on "On The Corner" but its not. is there a COMPLETE RECORDING CD of On the Corner?
Wow, I would be thrilled if I heard that on the radio! I haven't heard any international jazz on the radio around here (they play some awesome local stuff on maybe one or two stations, which is great). But to have On the Corner-era Miles on the radio... wow. :)
And yes, there is a complete On the Corner Sessions box set, I haven't heard it yet, but I recently got the In a Silent Way Sessions box set, and it's got so many great recordings, and the booklet is 52 pages, all full of great information. So if you're into On the Corner, I suggest checking out it's box set.

Psychedelico
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey I have Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, and I'm downloading A Tribute To Jack Johnson right now. What should I get next?

srvflood
12-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Sketches of Spain, Miles Ahead, Milestones, Relaxin', Birth of the Cool.

Thursdae
12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
^ Sketches Of Spain seconded, not too familiar with the others aside from Birth of the Cool.

Psychedelico
12-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Ok thanks. Any others? I like his fusion stuff a bit more based on the albums I've heard so far. And is that song that Miles is quoting at the start of Concierto de Aranjuez? Chick Corea quotes it in Spain, and it was in some cuban music I heard.

Gris-Gris-Man
12-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey I have Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, and I'm downloading A Tribute To Jack Johnson right now. What should I get next?
get ON THE CORNER

pangui
12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
And is that song that Miles is quoting at the start of Concierto de Aranjuez? Chick Corea quotes it in Spain, and it was in some cuban music I heard.
Not sure if I understood what you said correctly, but if you're asking what piece Miles quotes at the beginning of that piece, it is Concertio De Aranjuez. Chick Corea used it for the introduction of Spain, and it's a very well known piece in general, so you've probably heard it used a fair bit around the place.

Psychedelico
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Ah ok. That makes sense. :haha And I meant to write "And what is that song that Miles is quoting..."

get ON THE CORNER

Thanks.

pangui
01-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Has anyone heard of the album "Live Miles"? I came across it in a little CD store the other day, and it was $10 so I got it. I've researched it a little furthure, and it's from the Carnegie Hall concert, which was recently re-released as a two-disc set. "Live Miles" contains the unreleased material from the original Carnegie Hall LP.
It's from 1961, and half the tunes feature Gil Evans conducting an orchestra with Miles soloing (including Concertio De Arunjeuz), and the others feature a quintet with Miles, Hank Mobley on sax, Paul Chambers, Wynton Kelly and Jimmy Cobb.
I hadn't known about this line-up at all before hearing the recordings, but it's definitely some of the best live playing I've heard by a Miles group, so if you haven't heard it, check out the Carnegie Hall recordings if you get a chance :)

chea_man
01-08-2009, 04:07 AM
thats an awsome album!!
i have a miles davis song i played with some jazz band in my profile, its a really cook arrangement. its called tune up, you should listen to it. lol

ohhey9040
01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Has anyone heard of the album "Live Miles"? I came across it in a little CD store the other day, and it was $10 so I got it. I've researched it a little furthure, and it's from the Carnegie Hall concert, which was recently re-released as a two-disc set. "Live Miles" contains the unreleased material from the original Carnegie Hall LP.
It's from 1961, and half the tunes feature Gil Evans conducting an orchestra with Miles soloing (including Concertio De Arunjeuz), and the others feature a quintet with Miles, Hank Mobley on sax, Paul Chambers, Wynton Kelly and Jimmy Cobb.
I hadn't known about this line-up at all before hearing the recordings, but it's definitely some of the best live playing I've heard by a Miles group, so if you haven't heard it, check out the Carnegie Hall recordings if you get a chance :)
That's officially on my list of music to check out.

jimi_vai
01-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm glad i searched for a Miles Davis thread, because i was shocked when i couldn't find one in the blues and jazz section. Miles Davis is jazz, he is definitely one of my favourite players and i consider him to be one of the most important players in jazz. i love kind of blue, that album is incredible and should be mandatory listening for anyone.

srvflood
01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah, being a huge jazz fan with a huge collection, and I'm kinda ashamed to say that Kind Of Blue is maybe my favorite jazz album. You know, because it's so elementary as far as jazz listening goes.

jimi_vai
01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Yeah, being a huge jazz fan with a huge collection, and I'm kinda ashamed to say that Kind Of Blue is maybe my favorite jazz album. You know, because it's so elementary as far as jazz listening goes.
But its so incredible, all of the quintet are amazing but they never flout their ability's, instead they worked together and they made a fantastic album. I think that's what make's it so good, and it's also why its elementary listening because it doesn;t get much better than kind of blue!

Stripedfool
01-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Never be ashamed by Kind of Blue. It is quite possibly one of his best albums (imo).

ohhey9040
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
^Definitely. Kind of Blue has a strange universal appeal that very few albums have in my opinion. It's an album that a complete newbie to jazz and a lifelong devotee of jazz can love and appreciate in equal measure. Which is why it's still gaining more popularity.

Stripedfool
01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Preach! It has so many classics on it too. So What! Freddie the Freeloader, and All Blues are great. I'm actually applying to the School of Music at my university with So What.

jimi_vai
01-21-2009, 03:36 AM
My favourite track is definitely So What, Striped fool which part are you playing for your application to uni?

chea_man
01-21-2009, 10:08 AM
i cant stop listening to bitches brew.

Stripedfool
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm playing the whole song, they want me to be able to play the head and be able to improvise over a chorus or two. I decided to make it kind of exciting by playing the bass line (d-a-b-c-d-e-a-d) then doing the Emi11 -> Dmi11 in order to make it more than just two chords then silence for a measure.

Axegrinder#9
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm playing the whole song, they want me to be able to play the head and be able to improvise over a chorus or two. I decided to make it kind of exciting by playing the bass line (d-a-b-c-d-e-a-d) then doing the Emi11 -> Dmi11 in order to make it more than just two chords then silence for a measure.

hmm I thought the vamp was 4 bars of Em7/Dm7 before moving onto 4 bars of Fm7/Ebm7. Of course the minor 11th extension would work too.

srvflood
01-21-2009, 11:43 PM
For So What the solo section is 16 bars of D-7, then 8 bars of Eb-7, then 8 bars of D-7. Then they vamp on A.

due 07
02-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I think srvflood is right :confused:

Gris-Gris-Man
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
he is right, i remember that from guitar class

uhh_me?
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
oh man, just threw Bitches Brew on and i'm done with the first disc. i always forget what an exceptional album this is. i remember why for a long while i said it was my favorite headphone album.

Gris-Gris-Man
03-11-2009, 10:11 PM
oh man, just threw Bitches Brew on and i'm done with the first disc. i always forget what an exceptional album this is. i remember why for a long while i said it was my favorite headphone album.
dude great "point out"

that is a great headphone album, so much is going on in both ears...its a trip when you listen to it on your headphones while high

uhh_me?
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
because i enjoyed Bitches Brew so much, i decided to run over to the library on campus and borrow a few other Miles albums. i grabbed Sorcerer, In A Silent Way, and Pangaea. so far i have only listened to In A Silent Way and Sorcerer, but both are excellent. i guess that Sorcerer was a little tamer than i expected, though.

Gris-Gris-Man
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
ah! i wanna hear Pangaea so bad! its got Al Foster on drums, nice!

Jazzman91
03-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Miles is so great. I've just got a Best of CD and Bitches Brew (which are both great), but when I heard a part of "Right off" from "The Jack Johnson Sessions" on a internet radio, I got a real fan. I'm trying to get the album but the most music stores don't have it. :sad:

Kartman
03-15-2009, 04:15 AM
get ON THE CORNER

Yes, one of the weirdest albums in my collection!

Gris-Gris-Man
03-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Yes, one of the weirdest albums in my collection!
great one isnt it! :cool:

crimsonblood12
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Jack-Johnson-Sessions/dp/B0000CF2ZI

There you go. It's a rare album, so it's fairly expensive.

I just finished his autobiography Miles. It's definitely an interesting read.

Kartman
03-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I love it. I love how the same bassline is played for like 283 minutes.

uhh_me?
03-16-2009, 12:45 AM
that sounds a little sarcastic.

On The Corner should be arriving in a day or two. can't wait for it, especially since it should be followed shortly by a new pair of headphones.

Kartman
03-16-2009, 06:31 PM
that sounds a little sarcastic.

On The Corner should be arriving in a day or two. can't wait for it, especially since it should be followed shortly by a new pair of headphones.
It was sarcastic, but I truly really enjoy the album!

Gris-Gris-Man
03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
yea i never understood that, like why would he do that? but i dont even care, its my favorite Miles album

Dchild042
03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I like his albums with Charlie Parker, Ive been listening to A Night In Tunisia a whole lot. You need to listen if you already haven't.

Gris-Gris-Man
03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
I like his albums with Charlie Parker, Ive been listening to A Night In Tunisia a whole lot. You need to listen if you already haven't.
the song "A Night In Tunisia" is what got me into jazz

pangui
03-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Hey, on a side note, have you heard Herbie Hancock's album "Sextant"? It was released in 1973, so it was recorded fairly closely to the On the Corner sessions, and it the direction Herbie took on it is fairly similar, especially on the track "Hornets". If you like On the Corner, you'd dig this one too.

Also, has anyone heard any of Miles' pre-Columbia recordings other than Birth of the Cool? I've listened to Walkin' and Cookin' and they're both great.

Jazzman91
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Yeah, "A night in Tunisia" is really great. My first solo in our big band with more than 32 bars was in this song ... so it's still in my memory ;)

Gris-Gris-Man
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey, on a side note, have you heard Herbie Hancock's album "Sextant"? It was released in 1973, so it was recorded fairly closely to the On the Corner sessions, and it the direction Herbie took on it is fairly similar, especially on the track "Hornets". If you like On the Corner, you'd dig this one too.

Also, has anyone heard any of Miles' pre-Columbia recordings other than Birth of the Cool? I've listened to Walkin' and Cookin' and they're both great.
yea dude, i got Sextant, love that album! Rain Dance is far out there!

hippieboy444
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Bump for miles davis being ****ing great.
I have Kind of Blue (of course), Sketches of Spain, and Porgy and Bess, along with 'the new quintet w/ Red Garland and Coltrane. I really don't like Spetches much, bu Blue and Porgy are really good thus far.

Zomby Woof
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
My favorite Miles album changes about every week, and this week its The Man With The Horn/We Want Miles. I never really dug into his 80's stuff (particularly because of my distaste for Marcus Miller) but it's still pretty awesome.

Hendrix_fan_14
04-26-2010, 05:37 AM

Oh wow, I want to hear Sextant so bad! I was on the look out at this shop but they didn't have it, they only had Headhunters (which I already have)

I love Miles Davis, he's the one that seriously got me into Jazz. My favourite of his at the moment is probably Birth of the Cool.

Aeolian Harmony
04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Does anyone like Someday My Prince Will Come? I love it, second favorite album of his only to Bitches Brew.

pangui
05-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Does anyone like Someday My Prince Will Come? I love it, second favorite album of his only to Bitches Brew.
I've been looking around for that album for a while, it's one of the few pre-retirement Columbia albums i don't have, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in Sydney... I've heard the title track though, I love that tune and it's one of my favourite interpretations of it :)

Arterial
05-01-2010, 07:30 AM
I like Bank Robbery.

David Sertl
05-04-2010, 05:10 AM
I bought Someday my Prince will come lately, and so far it's great. Hank Mobley is an awesome saxophone player.

Jimmy94
05-05-2010, 03:03 AM
hank is a beast, check out soul station if you want more of him

Hendrix_fan_14
05-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Just bought In A Silent Way.

Really enjoying it at the moment. John Mclaughlin is great WHEN he's playing with Miles. But I really can't stand his solo fusion stuff e.g Electric Dreams. Mahavishnu Orchestra are pretty great though.

John McLaughlin
05-11-2010, 01:57 AM
I love Miles Davis so much.

Miles Smiles!

You all need to hear Live At The Fillmore: It's About That Time if you haven't already, one of the greatest live shows ever recorded.

pangui
05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I love Miles Davis so much.

Miles Smiles!

You all need to hear Live At The Fillmore: It's About That Time if you haven't already, one of the greatest live shows ever recorded.

I love the take of Directions on the second disc of that album, Wayne's soloing on that track is some of the most intense stuff I've heard him do. It's great! And you can never say enough about that rhythm section... :headbang:

heinrick
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Bitches Brew for life!

rocketfalls
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
One of the best musicians ever. I think my favorite albums of his are from the late-60s early-70s era, but Relaxin' is excellent too. Well, they're (almost) all great.

qwaj
08-03-2010, 07:35 PM
i cant help but hum or whistle every single note from Relaxin', one of my fav albums

willwelsh816
04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Milestones was how i got into miles, than i got In a Silent Way, which was fantastic. I loved the sound of the Fender Rhodes piano, I'm kinda a baby for it lol. Bitches Brew was a big thing for me, and imho, the only way you can truly appreciate that album is if you've heard alot of Sly and the Family Stone, James Brown, and Hendrix, because Bitches Brew is like mixing all those guys together. Got Live at the Fillmore, Live Evil, and Pangea, which were my bibles for a while lol. On the Corner was one of my favorites, with the wah trumpet and all those awesome percussions. I couldn't get into much of his stuff in the 80s with the synthesizers, but I always like the Doo Bop album, one of my favorites.

I personally liked Wayne Shorter over Coletrane, I was never a big fan of his wall-of-sound thing, although I recognize that he was indeed a genius with all his substitutions. When I try to get licks off of Miles Davis's albums, I usually try to get the trumpet, opposed to McLaughlin's guitar, as I never really liked his sound. I always woundered what would have happended if Jimi and Miles ever made an album together? musical implosion?

TheReverend724
04-13-2011, 11:40 PM
In a Silent Way is the best. The first four or so minutes of track 2 are too good

due 07
04-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Shit, I forgot about this thread. I can't believe I didn't capitalize his name in the OP.

uhh_me?
04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
oh man! that organ in the middle of "Right Off". sounds like a wonderful vacuum cleaner. you know what i'm talking about.

Tragic Mulatto
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
bitches brew alone makes Miles a legend, not to mention kind of blue, sketches of spain, in a silent way etc etc

jayx124
04-27-2011, 04:30 AM
I love miles he says so much with so little

MirandaShambles
05-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Been listening to his version of "Summertime" on repeat :D

HelpTravesty
05-17-2011, 07:47 PM
In a Silent Way is the best. The first four or so minutes of track 2 are too good
I concur, I go to sleep with that album playing every so often. Pure brilliance.

blake1221
07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEC8nqT6Rrk

Doesn't get better than this.

TheReverend724
07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Pffffft

bradulator
07-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I quite like Sketches of Spain.

blake1221
07-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Pffffft

Pfffft. You solo like that over two chords.

TheReverend724
07-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Pfffft. You solo like that over two chords.
It's not a bad song. Quite the contrary

That's just the most obvious song to post in a Miles Davis thread though :p:

blake1221
07-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Excuse me for not listening to Miles Davis B-sides only. :p:

Doppelgänger
07-30-2011, 12:31 AM
why is birth of the cool so lame compared to other cool jazz albums.

howlinwolf
08-12-2011, 08:36 PM
As far as fusion Miles go what do you guys think, Live Evil or Bitches Brew??

primusfan
08-15-2011, 12:51 AM
why is birth of the cool so lame compared to other cool jazz albums.

you might think it's lame because it was recorded from 49-50. literally, it is the first cool jazz album recorded (not the first released of course).

birth of the cool is a classic album and someday you'll get it. you just don't right now. just like i don't get bitches brew because i think it sounds like ass. BORING ass. but i hold out for the day i actually enjoy listening to it and weather report.

or maybe i never will. and maybe you'll never like BOTC. :shrug:

marc137
08-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Birth of the cool is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WjU4eXYWg4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfqQVvA9LsI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcoqwKEtYDs&feature=related

willwelsh816
08-16-2011, 02:01 AM
As far as fusion Miles go what do you guys think, Live Evil or Bitches Brew??

If live Evil was produced as well as Bitches, I would love it more, but Bitches is just so crisp and awesome, with alot of Live Miles stuff, the bass gets lost and the drums just sound manic. I wished he brought two drummers, two bass players, two pianists, himself and wayne on the road, but that would just seem absurd to the higher management I guess lol :p:

Doppelgänger
08-17-2011, 03:06 AM
or maybe i never will. and maybe you'll never like BOTC. :shrug:
i'm ok with that, weather report is lame anyway

vagelier
10-18-2011, 02:05 PM
/bump.
I love tutu. I'm not much of a jazz fan, but if I listen anything, it's miles. I also like nefertiti, bitches brew, birth of the cool and of course kind of blue.