Muddy Waters-Sweet Home Chicago

PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Waters-Sweet Home Chicago

slayer1516
05-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I just got this album on record. It has alternate recordings of some Muddy songs. Anyelse heard the album? Opinions?

ze monsta
05-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes. Awesome. :)

Not my favourite, but it's awesome.

Cobalt Blue
05-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I'll have to pick it up sometime, I've never heard his version. just Foghat and Robert Johnson's version

slayer1516
05-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll have to pick it up sometime, I've never heard his version. just Foghat and Robert Johnson's version

Actually, its the album, not the song ;)

This is my first Muddy album-blown away!

ze monsta
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
What other blues do you listen to?

slayer1516
05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Robert Johnson is my favorite, his stuff is some of the most powerful music I have ever heard. I love Blind Willie Mctell, The 3 Kings, Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee, Clapton, and especcialy Hendrix and SRV. I am just getting into the blues

ze monsta
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Blind Willie McTell is my favourite blues musician EVER. So awesome. Blind Willie McTell's Complete recordings is easily my favourite gift ever. I would give almost anything to have met him. Check out Blind Willie Johnson, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Booker White, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller and Mississippi John Hurt. :)

slayer1516
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Blind Willie McTell is my favourite blues musician EVER. So awesome. Blind Willie McTell's Complete recordings is easily my favourite gift ever. I would give almost anything to have met him. Check out Blind Willie Johnson, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Booker White, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller and Mississippi John Hurt. :)

I am looking for vinyl of these artists. The music is so pure and amazing (btw, why is every single bluesman "blind" ;) )

gopherthegreat
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
pick up mississippi john hurt and blind willie johnson. theyre my two favorite bluesmen ever. john hurt has the most soothing voice and great fingerpicking, and blind willie johnson has like the best raspy voice ever.

ze monsta
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I am looking for vinyl of these artists. The music is so pure and amazing (btw, why is every single bluesman "blind" ;) )
That's a good question! :haha

I think the REAL reason is that, because of being blind, they couldn't work in the fields picking cotton or go North to factories; so they learnt instruments, to keep money coming in for the family.

I know from a very young age, Blind Willie Johnson's father would leave him on street corners, with a tin tied around his neck and people would give him change. He was once arrested for standing outside of a town hall singing his song "If I had my way I'd tear this building down". He was arrested by a white police officer, for singing a spiritual, and was told he was trying to incite a riot! :haha

I think it'll be fairly difficult to find a lot of stuff on vinyl, and if you do, it'll probably be quite expensive. Even Charley Patton's music on CD are incredibly bad after being remastered.

I hope you get as much as you can though, and enjoy it. :)

Gus