Hound Dog Taylor Gear

PDA

View Full Version : Hound Dog Taylor Gear

Mr.Cuddles
05-04-2008, 05:00 PM
does any one know what model of guitar the hound had? I know it was cheap but i love it's look, and it's low end sound, it's not amazingly clean sounding, very bad, in a good way, and wanna try to find one, are they still in production?
thanks.

EDIT: i know he used these $50 Japanese electric guitar and Sears Roebuck amplifiers

but don't know name of guitar and if it's still made
REDIT:I found one(not telling where on the internet though) for 300$ it's from the 1960's do you think thats a good deal?

ze monsta
05-04-2008, 05:12 PM
He used a Teisco guitar, not sure which one though. One of my favourite bands, The Soledad Brothers used to cover Gimme Back My Wig. Great song.

Mr.Cuddles
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
okay, after alot of searching, i found out that the guitar i say on ebay is infact the same model teisco played by the hound. if i buy it do you think 300$ is worth it, the pics show that it is in great condition, no major marks.

ze monsta
05-05-2008, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't bother

The reason it's from the 60's is because that's when they were in business.
He got his tone from his **** beyond belief amp, cranked upto 10. The Teisco might be a good guitar (I doubt it for $300), and go ahead and buy it if you wish, but it will be an awful as hell guitar. The reason it's only 300 dollars, is because they were starter kinda level guitars. The were department store guitars, in modern day comparison, you could get them from Walmart. :) If I'm correct, Hound Dog Taylor, used to buy his guitars from a department store.

But that's my opinion, based on the fact that they were not great guitars. But for $300 it could be a decent investment. As Teisco's are going up in price due to them being "vintage" guitars.

Pics?

KAWAI "SW-180" (HDT & THE HOUSEROCKERS)
KAWAI "SH-40V" (NATURAL BOOGIE)
TEISCO "SPECTRUM5" (ANN ARBOR B&J FEST 72')

Those are the exact model Taylor used to play. :)

You could get his tone from an overdrive pedal with most guitars though.

Hope it's helpful,
Gus