Ten Years After... Great blues stuff here

PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years After... Great blues stuff here

PhoeglePott
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I've been following this forum for some time now reading all you fellow blues/ jazz diggers thoughts, fears, admirations, and questions for some time now. But it struck me today at work that I have never once read a thread on the late 60s-70s blues/ rock and roll band Ten Years After. If you haven't heard of them check "em" out. The leads from Alvin Lee will blow your mind. They were one of the British invasion bands that were not as well known by suprisingly alot of people... or thats atleast how it seems to me because not many people I know, know the band. But have fun and keep ripping the blues yall.

therussian
05-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Whew, I haven't listened to them in a long time, but I do remember that they kicked some major ass.

Thefallofman
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
There used to be a TYA thread in the Classic Rock forum. I think they fit better there.

Shame they aren't mentioned so much anymore. Alvin Lee is a MONSTER!

Great stuff.

PhoeglePott
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
There used to be a TYA thread in the Classic Rock forum. I think they fit better there.

Shame they aren't mentioned so much anymore. Alvin Lee is a MONSTER!

Great stuff.

Alvin Lee is a Monster, I listen to TYA's greatest hits album like prbly 2 times a week at work. And even though they may lean a lil more towards the classic rock scene, only a few of there songs i think could be labled classic rock, most of them sound like straight up screaming blues to me atleast.

Jimmy94
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Their best album is Recorded Live. Neat trick Alvin does during I Can't Keep From Crying.

TheHeartbreaker
05-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Recorded Live is a good album, but I prefer Live at the Fillmore East. The set-list is much stronger, in my opinion, and the overall atmosphere of the album makes you feel s though you're really there. My favorite part of the album might be when Alvin claims that, "We're going to play one more, but only so that no one passes out," after the band had already played the third encore.

*cough*My thread*cough*

Ten Years After are one of my favorite bands. Alvin Lee is typically the only band member who receives any recognition, but the rest of the band is tight as well-Ric Lee on drums is amazing.

Jimmy94
05-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Live at the fillmore east is good but whenever I listen it just seems to lack the unbridled energy of recorded live. Seems like there's that IT factor missing or something.

Maybe it's just all in my head :)

master
05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
One of my favorite bands. I first found out about them when I saw the Woodstock movie. "I'm going home" blew my mind. His playing is very similar to XChuck Berry, which is part of why I like them so much. My favorite songs are "I'd love to change the world" and "Once there was a time."

opivy21
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
^That movie is the only place I've seen them, but I'm Going Home was pretty phenomenal.

Jackal58
05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
ck out "The Bluest Blues" Amazing stuff. And TYA "Undead"> Live or Live at the Filmore.ust my opinion.

TheHeartbreaker
05-11-2008, 09:17 PM
And TYA "Undead"> Live or Live at the Filmore.ust my opinion.

I agree that Undead is better than Recorded Live, but I still prefer Live at the Fillmore East over it.

That's just my opinion. ;)

So master has already shared with us his favorite songs by Ten Years After, so what is everyone else's? Personally, I really enjoy Bad Scene from Ssssh and Working on the Road from Cricklewood Green. Also, I think that Uncle Jam from A Space in Time could've been something special, carrying similar jazz elements to their early material.

Jimmy94
05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Probably One of these Days, but it's a tough call... Me and My Baby is also a favorite

Me and my baby never get the blues
Me and my woman ain't got nothin' left to lose

:cool:

Jackal58
05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree that Undead is better than Recorded Live, but I still prefer Live at the Fillmore East over it.

That's just my opinion. ;)

So master has already shared with us his favorite songs by Ten Years After, so what is everyone else's? Personally, I really enjoy Bad Scene from Ssssh and Working on the Road from Cricklewood Green. Also, I think that Uncle Jam from A Space in Time could've been something special, carrying similar jazz elements to their early material.
That's a tough one. I love all their stuff. Standing at the Station and Choo Choo Mama from Rock and Roll Music to the World are a couple that immediately come to mind. And ya Live at the Filmore is good but Undead just gives me goosbumps.

Highbinder
05-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Dwonloaded a couple of albums. Let me say.. woah!

GD_GC
05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
I love that woodstock version of "I'm going home." Great stuff.

BigTex
05-17-2008, 02:57 PM
He was all about speed and no soul - try Peter Green or Gary Moore. But I do agree the band were tight. If you really are into Alvin try Chicken Shack - very similar guitarist. Anyways, all blues is great by me

ze monsta
05-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Gary Moore is **** he is completely the opposite of Peter Green! He's all about speed as well.

Greeny is the man.

Daitrying
05-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm genuinely interested in finding someone with a better vibrato than Gary Moore.

Dimebag22
05-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Gary Moore is **** he is completely the opposite of Peter Green! He's all about speed as well.

Greeny is the man.
I disagree man. Go pickup the album 'Close As You Get' listen to the song called 'Sundown'. It's an acoustic style blues, and it's really, really good. It's almost like my song 'Long Gone Blues', but he uses a slide in his song. Same kind of style though. Check it out, I'm sure you will like it.

meh!
05-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't dislike Moore, he does have amazing control, I don't like his songs...or his solos... or his singing voice though

so yeah.

Credit:

He did write Don't Blieve a Word for thin lizzy, so THAT"S AWESOME :)

ze monsta
05-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm genuinely interested in finding someone with a better vibrato than Gary Moore.
BB King

Dimebag22
05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
BB King

Agreed, 100%.

Jackal58
05-18-2008, 11:14 AM
He was all about speed and no soul - try Peter Green or Gary Moore. But I do agree the band were tight. If you really are into Alvin try Chicken Shack - very similar guitarist. Anyways, all blues is great by me
Really? I think you may have missed some. Try this one. ;)
http://www.imeem.com/fmulk/music/EfAl_kU2/alvin_lee_10_years_after_the_bluest_blues/
New link. The other didn't appear to work.

freebird_17
05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
IM GOING HOME

IM GOING HOME

IM GOING HOME

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tHw9b4BBV9Y

PhoeglePott
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
My favorite song by TYA by the way is "I Woke Up This Morning"... the drum fills are just WTF in your face and the guitar solo gives angeles wings every time its played...

Oh and I completly disagree about whoever said Alvin Lee is all speed a no soul, go down load the track I just listed, "I Woke Up This Morning"... Although the guitar solo is a fairly fast one, listen to the well place bends and just the overall raw sound that he spits outs... It's Amazing!!!

TheHeartbreaker
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
He was all about speed and no soul

I disagree.

I have always thought that Alvin's solos were unnecessarily fast at times, but never once have I doubted that he plays from the soul.

He simply has a style of soloing that is more jazz-influenced than it is blues-influenced. At times this works to his advantage, but when playing slower songs it certainly does not.

thebird55
12-31-2010, 12:11 AM
I think two of their best are 'Recorded Live' and 'A Space in Time'. But they sound like two different bands. 'Recorded Live' is exactly that, no overdubs, and it's the best example of their live shows. I know, because I've seen them twice. (Eat yer hearts out). First time, in May 1974, in Birmingham, AL.

What can I say about it? They really have to be experienced. But if you can't see them, get 'Recorded Live'. You will not be disappointed.

Other recommended tracks:

It's Time to Play
Every Blues You've Ever Heard
I Woke Up This Morning
Outside My Window
Don't Want You, Woman
Portable People
Long Legs
The Bluest Blues

FYI:
Any slide work you hear on Alvin's albums is probably George Harrison.