see thru guitar

PDA

View Full Version : see thru guitar

head_strong
05-07-2008, 04:49 AM
hey all. do see thru acylic guitars or whatever they are sound like crap? i want one a haha

Martindecorum
05-07-2008, 04:55 AM
depends what model. dont see why they would sound crap

Rokeman
05-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Robb Flynn of Machine Head plays a see-through red BC Rich Warlock sometimes. I'd say it sounds really good. especially for metal.

head_strong
05-07-2008, 04:59 AM
i herd somewhere that they sound like poos cause the material doesnt resonate like wood or something...

Martindecorum
05-07-2008, 05:01 AM
well the strings aint trying to resonate through the wood in the first place. it vibrates and goes straight to the pick up

plucky duck
05-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Vai has a sig guitar thats acrylic and hemmitt has an acryilc thats filled with blue liquid

Slayer566
05-07-2008, 05:51 AM
if it has emgs it would sound the same as another guitar with emgs.

JOn`
05-07-2008, 05:54 AM
well the strings aint trying to resonate through the wood in the first place. it vibrates and goes straight to the pick up

ok.

mudfrog
05-07-2008, 06:26 AM

Well if that is the case then why do so many people argue about the quality of the wood etc..

I'm not saying that your not correct I'm just raising the question :D

And Vai's new acrylic sig guitar looks great and lights up :cool: Very bling. I've not heard him play it though. But I'm sure Mr Vai would only settle for the best.

Martindecorum
05-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Well if that is the case then why do so many people argue about the quality of the wood etc..

I'm not saying that your not correct I'm just raising the question :D

And Vai's new acrylic sig guitar looks great and lights up :cool: Very bling. I've not heard him play it though. But I'm sure Mr Vai would only settle for the best.

The quality of the wood is mainly the neck that there talking about. is it smooth for finger, are the frets making nice tone from the wood and basically its about the sound and smoothness if that makes sense

o and different woods warp more

lylewithans182
05-07-2008, 08:47 AM
So much fail....

The wood on the body of a guitar CERTAINLY matters. it's not just the neck wood. Where do you think all that sustain is coming from, it depends largely on the guitar body and wood type. (yes there are other factors) If wood didn't matter, guitars would be plastic to save money and trees. Why do you think that companies always list the wood type of the body and neck? Because it matters.

this&that
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
alright, I also had a question about this, because in qotsa's sick, sick, sick video you can see someone playing a plexiglass guitar. Is it crap or what? additionally, it turns out to be a Ampeg Dan Armstrong plexiglass guitar, i've never heard of them before let alone ever seen one in real life. Here's a pic.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/8da72b3c35e473dd37906c220d99eeb8.jpg

Martindecorum
05-07-2008, 10:01 AM
So much fail....

The wood on the body of a guitar CERTAINLY matters. it's not just the neck wood. Where do you think all that sustain is coming from, it depends largely on the guitar body and wood type. (yes there are other factors) If wood didn't matter, guitars would be plastic to save money and trees. Why do you think that companies always list the wood type of the body and neck? Because it matters.

i didnt say it didnt matter entirely. but still its the same reason the better the wood the more quality the guitar, as in the wood doesnt warp wear out and other natural causes while ceramic will withstand the time. thats all the wood does on the body

Wasted Resource
05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Check out the Ampeg Dan Armstrong model. Dave Grohl has been seen using one. Dan Armstrong was a master luthier. His plexi model is a classic, and has recently been reissued.

Dimebag06Darrel
05-07-2008, 12:03 PM
yep wood matters

UncleCthulhu
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
thats all the wood does on the body

No, the wood adds slight colouration to your tone and has a serious effect on weight and sustain.

As for acrylic guitars, they're getting more and more common, Ibanez have an acrylic JEM which is supposedly pretty good.

Jim85IROC
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
For much the same reasons that people argue about religion and politics...

kirschman13
05-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I had a acrylic B.C. Rich Mockingbird. I loved everything about it except for the pups (BDSM) and the weight. I recently sold it because I was tired of getting back pain every time I played. The guitar was great to play, but was way to heavy and had ****ty pups. If you're can handle a heavy guitar and can change the pups go for it. The tone is actually pretty nice. Just be sure to let it get to room temperature before playing/tuning it becuase the acrylic expands/contracts like crazy compared to wood.

In short, a good strap + a good workout + New pups = pretty good metal guitar.

Chica
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
So much fail....

+1

shredhead22
05-07-2008, 05:49 PM

The quality of the wood is mainly the neck that there talking about. is it smooth for finger, are the frets making nice tone from the wood and basically its about the sound and smoothness if that makes sense

o and different woods warp more

the characteristics of the wood is one of the most important parts of tone and sustain...you sir fail

Wasted Resource
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
You all fail.

head_strong asked if if see-through guitars sound like crap, and you all go on pontificating about wood and whether or not it colors your tone, which doesn't even address the point of this question.

The short answer is no. The Ampeg Dan Armstrong model is exceptional.

In the wrong hands, a '59 Gibson ES-335 would sound like crap. It's in the way that you use it.

Martindecorum
05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
the characteristics of the wood is one of the most important parts of tone and sustain...you sir fail

it does to an extent, but also so can acrylic do the exact same thing so really we are back in the same boat.

in case ur wondering why i still go on about it even though i really dont care and only do it to piss people off is because u cant get a real come back out of people because of this term "you sir fail" or " FAIL" just annoys the hell out of me

shredhead22
05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
it does to an extent, but also so can acrylic do the exact same thing so really we are back in the same boat.

care to clarify? what i got from your initial post is that strings don't resonate through the body enough to affect tone (therefore acrylic is just as good as wood because there's no relevance between string vibration and body density). yet now acrylic is as good as wood because it resonates the same?

EDIT:
in case ur wondering why i still go on about it even though i really dont care and only do it to piss people off is because u cant get a real come back out of people because of this term "you sir fail" or " FAIL" just annoys the hell out of me

nevermind, it seems your contrasting opinions are based on you being a dick; which is fair enough (god knows i've been a dick alot today). But don't act as matter-of-fact just because somebody pissed you off or you'll end up confusing the TS who honestly wants a factual answer

Chad11491
05-07-2008, 07:49 PM
i didnt say it didnt matter entirely. but still its the same reason the better the wood the more quality the guitar, as in the wood doesnt warp wear out and other natural causes while ceramic will withstand the time. thats all the wood does on the body
no it's not....the wood colors the tone, depending on what type of wood is used.

I have no idea if acrylic sounds good or not, i've heard a B.C. Rich acrylic with EMG's, it sounded similar to most other EMG equipped guitars, it didn't sound bad, i would say it was a good fit.

Platinum Pro
05-07-2008, 07:50 PM
here's some acrylic B.C Richs
http://cgi.ebay.com/BC-Rich-Acrylic-Mockingbird-BLUE-Electric-Guitar-RARE_W0QQitemZ130217750941QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-C-Rich-Electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ120255820986QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zanon
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
they also weigh a ****ing ton

Jim85IROC
05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Obviously people have a lot of opinions about the effect that wood has.

Unfortunately, for all these opinions, nobody seems to have any way of backing up their claims. Testing something like sustain seems like it would be very easy in a controlled environment, and yet we have none of that sort of data. It reminds me of the "sound" of speaker wire. There's a reason that nobody is shoving test results in your face for that either... because there aren't any.

There's no doubt that the wood has an effect on tone/sustain/etc, but whether that level is audible is certainly up for debate. Maybe someday I'll build a guitar with bodies made from different woods and interchange them, or maybe I'll do something simpler like make a fixture that I can attach different materials of different masses and sizes to and see what effect it has. My guess is that it will be minimal. On many guitars, the strings themselves don't even have any direct contact with the wood. On some, they may go through the body behind the bridge, but for the most part the only moving part of your strings are suspended between the nut and the bridge. The wood is sitting there a half inch away. Sure, the wood is picking up some resonance and you can feel it to some extent in the body of the guitar, but the vast majority of the vibration is coming from the strings themselves. My expectation would be that the electromechanical interraction between the strings and the pickups will have a far greater effect on the motion of the strings than the wood does.

But that of course is just another useless opinion to throw on to the already large pile of useless opinions. People (including myself) can scream as loud as they want about the effect that this or that has on the tone, but the cold truth is, they really have absolutely no idea, nor will they until they perform a controlled test and evaluate the results.

Blind In 1 Ear
05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
to anyone who says tone wood doesnt matter, try this. play all of your guitars (assuming you have more than one with different woods) and play them unplugged. i play my electrics unplugged a lot and there is change in sound. i use the same strings on each guitar as well. and yet, they all have a different tone. and guess what? when you plug in they still have a different tone.

now all of these different tones are going to be small but they are there. some sound darker or brighter or fuller or maybe they accent the mids, whatever. but if you put your ear on the back of your guitar and strum, thats essentially what the pickups are going to send to the amp. the type of pickups will colour your sound of course but essentially thats what they are doing.

now to the TS question, ive never played one so i dont know.

NeonBlack
05-18-2008, 08:00 AM
I've got an acrylic 5 string bass and it kicks the crap out of my music man, the sustain is way better and it has naturally compressed sound due to the densty of the acrylic. the oldy downside is that it would be easier to do a gig with a 7ft russian boxer on your back than with one of these, it weighs a f**king ton!!!
Check out http://www.crimsonguitars.com/page104.html
This guy has made a completly acrylic bass, thats right neck and fingerboard aswell!!

shredmeiser101
05-18-2008, 09:22 AM
There are some companies that make guitars out of acrylic type material that supposedly resonates just as good if not better. But it sounds to me like you're talking about buying one of those bc rich cheapos with red acrylic, so It will probably sound like crap, unless it's high gain, then it will sound just like any other guitar