Blues Beginner Mini-Lesson Sign-up Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Beginner Mini-Lesson Sign-up Thread

Dimebag22
05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
So we were all thinking of going together, here in the blues forum, and making a thread for the guitarist who are trying to get into the blues, but need to find somewhere to start.

Here's what I was thinking.

Just any random blues theory you can think of, hit me up and I'll add it to the list. People can sign up for a certain thing, and write a mini lesson.

We could have:

12 Bar Blues: Kris and Eric
Blues Scale/Soloing: Logan and Eric
Intros, Turnarounds, Endings:
Improv Tips:
I7-IV7-V7:
Eight Bar Blues:
Great Blues Licks: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793974
Licks in the Style of ______:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
BB King
Robert Johnson: Gus
Freddie King
Etc.
You know, anyone really who was influential in blues music. I'm sure I missed a ton, so tell me if you can write a lesson about their styles and I'll add it on.

I've already kinda got a mini 12 bar blues lesson, and I'll need to add some more stuff.

I was thinking that once you have yours all typed up, send it in a PM to me, and I'll just check it over and see if anything needs added etc. I could even post it in this thread if necessary and people can just build on your original lesson.

Tell me what you think of this idea, and maybe tell me some more things that we could include and I'll be sure to add them on the list.

If there is a subject on there that you want to write a mini lesson about, post here and I'll add you up there.

:cheers:
Kris

misfitsweare138
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
That would be an awesome idea, especially since I'm now more interested in learning how to play blues better.

kdkiernan
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
this would be really helpful

Dance_of_Death
05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
tha'd be awsome, especially cause i'm getting into more blues based rock

would eric clapton or jeff beck be other guitarists to add to the list? (i don't know if their true bluesmen, i'm a noob to blues)

qotsa1998
05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
The first thing you should do is a lesson on the Blues and Penatonic Scales. Those really are the base of blues leads, fills, solos, etc. Put the 12 Bar and I-IV-V chord progression in the same lesson, as those are pretty closely related. Maybe a special lesson on Texas Blues, SRV style stuff would be good. Maybe add Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy on that list of artists, especially since Buddy Guy was a really influential wah user. Maybe sometime later could write a lesson of some sort, but i really dont have the time to do such a thing atm.

gopherthegreat
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
i can write a thing the the blues scale, i guess. put me up for that.

GD_GC
05-12-2008, 08:58 PM
I'll write one for blues soloing and one for how to play out a blues jam/12 bar blues.

And maybe we can contact a mod to have these stickied. We could do a new one every week and have it as a sticky or something.

Andrewbiles
05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Not a bad idea at all.
If this does go well tell me and we'll sort out a thread that just contains the lessons so people don't have to search through 30 pages and then sticky it.

ze monsta
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd be happy to do a Robert Johnson or Piedmont Finger picking lesson, sometime soon.
Or just a general slide guitar lesson, with some easy licks and simple songs.

chobe
05-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Piedmont stuff would go down a treat with me.

Dimebag22
05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Sweet deal.

So I added the people up on the list.

I was also thinking to have about 2 or 3 people do each lesson, just to help each other out and get more opinions.

ze monsta
05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
^ Great idea. Make it a little more interesting.

Vagabond21
05-14-2008, 03:10 PM
One thing that frustrates many guitarists and at one time myself, is being able to play simple SLOWER blues solos but not being able to do the FASTER licks.

It always seemed like I could play fast but I never knew what notes to hit and it never sounded good, even though I was using the blues pentatonic scales.

The way I figured it out was just by playing a lot of different licks and doing it by ear. There may be more theory behind it, I'm not sure.

Jackal58
05-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I could make a video of how NOT to play the blues. ;)
On a serious note I look forward to seeing what you guys put together.

Skirvy
12-10-2008, 03:03 PM
What happened to this? It was a really good idea.

ze monsta
12-10-2008, 03:05 PM
^ It never really gained enough popularity. I think if we get some more people in, we could resurrect this. Are you gonna be round here a lot now?

Skirvy
12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Probably :p: :D

Is that a bad thing?

ze monsta
12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe. :p:
Yes

Skirvy
12-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Ach well. I have been posting in here for a while back occasionaly, but my blues obssesion has returned :p:

ze monsta
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Good good, we always need more people. :)

On topic, I might get round to my part in this during Christmas. :)

Skirvy
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Good good, we always need more people. :)

On topic, I might get round to my part in this during Christmas. :)

Your doing Robert J right? That'll be good i've been listening to quite a bit of him lately.

RubberSoul54321
12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I think this is a brilliant idea. Unfortunately I don't have the talent to contribute anything but I look forward to seeing what others come up with.

Dchild042
12-10-2008, 08:04 PM
^Ya i agree. I think id be a pretty ****ty teacher but if there isnt enough people i would be glad to help.

ze monsta
12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Who cares, everyone should put in ideas so we can get this it up as one big sticky.

Your doing Robert J right? That'll be good i've been listening to quite a bit of him lately.
Yeah, but it's so difficult I might do a general kinda Delta Blues/acoustic blues one instead.

Regibald
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I could send a few simple BB King - style licks if need be :D assuming other people could supply some more ;)

Sounds like a really good idea by the way...I hope it works

And to below :D yea I've done that now

ze monsta
12-16-2008, 03:22 PM
^ We have a blues licks thread around somewhere, if you could have a look for it and stick them in there that would be great! :)