Help for history class

PDA

View Full Version : Help for history class

Ali-b912
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
i have to do a project in history about a cultural impact of the early 20th century (between ww1 and ww2) and i need a specific blues musician who had a really big impact. we were given a few jazz musicians ie, fats waller, benny goodman, but i would prefer to do blues and we werent given any bluesmen. as long as i can find someone who had as much of an impact as those guys did in their respective work. all i can think of currently is Robert Johnson, but i dont think he really had a big impact on the world, as he died before he really got the chance. thanks in advance!

therealtater
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
B.B. King

Ali-b912
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
damn he started too late. needs to be earlier. stuff around the 20's-30's is the main area im going for.

ccmu
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I would suggest looking at Bessie Smith. She was a big influence on Janis Joplin, and became a notable performer during her time.

LedFloyd77
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Charley Patton, Big Joe Williams or Muddy Waters (but he started recording in 1945 which ww2 ended then so i dunno) but robert johnson or muddy waters id go with... hope it helps... gluck

ccmu
05-12-2008, 07:57 PM
You could also look at Huddie Ledbetter, a.k.a. Leadbelly.

sre9981
05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
lets see.. [wall of text]

No single bluesman had a really authoritative influence during that time as it was mainly a rural music. While there were blues in cities, it generally didn't travel very far out of the Delta. Pre-war blues were an interesting period to discuss influences of earlier music on blues music itself, but in terms of artists, any of the big name players will have similar information. Robert Johnson and Son House both had a remarkable influence on pre-war blues, but were more important with the folk-blues revival of the 1960s. Son House is really interesting to write about if you can cover that far ahead, but other than that, just pick any big name delta player and you should be set. It might be worth considering someone like W.C. Handy (the self-proclaimed father of the blues) who helped bring blues to mainstream commercial success by integrating it with the popular vaudeville acts of the time. The commercial success of blues music also brings in the great female blues singers such as Bessie Smith, Alberta Hunter, Mamie Smith (recorded what is regarded [incorrectly some say] as the first blues record, Crazy Blues), etc.

Thefallofman
05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
You could also look at Huddie Ledbetter, a.k.a. Leadbelly.
That'd be my pick. His life was definitely interesting too.

Jackal58
05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday. The problem you will encounter as sre9981 already mentioned is finding an artist from that era that is strictly "blues". Early blues and jazz are quite often indistinguishable from each other. Sounds like a fun research project any ways.

ze monsta
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
WC Handy claimed to invent jazz.
I'd say Leadbelly and Son House had the most interesting life, but Son House was never very famous, and only came to any fame and his recordings only started to sell in the blues revival. Booker White is another interesting guy.

Jackal58
05-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I was listening to the radio this morning and heard the individual that will work quite well for your project.
Tampa Red. I forgot about him. Hope it's not to late.
http://www.yazoorecords.com/1039.htm

ze monsta
05-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't know much about Tampa Red's life, other than he did a hell of a lot playing slide guitar, and was IMMENSELY good. He really was a celebrity of his day.
Someone else who was really influential was Blind Lemon Jefferson, he made a huge impact.