The NEW Official Suggestion Box Thread!!!

PDA

View Full Version : The NEW Official Suggestion Box Thread!!!

frigginjerk
03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Okay, the last thread was getting a little bulky, so here's the new one. Once again, here's the rules:

Here are the rules:

1. Absolutely no more articles about the following:

- why today's music sucks
- what defines "punk," and "is punk dead?"
- why "band X" is crappy and should go to hell
- what happened to solos?

We have multiple articles about all of these topics, both good ones and bad ones, and it's been done to death. Opinons are like assholes. Everyone's got one, and everyone's stinks.

2. If you see a suggestion that you would like to write about, post in this thread to let me and the rest of the Columns Team know that it's been covered. This way we won't have six of the same articles being submitted in the same week, and Zappp won't have to pick one and disclude everyone else.

3. Articles must be well-written. There's a thread in this forum where you can post your article and have it proof-read for grammar and accuracy.

4. Do not write one-sided rants about whatever issue you are mad about this week. If you choose to cover a controversial issue, make sure you address it fairly and in an un-biased manner.

5. Be aware that if you plagarise, or steal another member's article, you will be warned, or banned, and the article will be modified to name the real author. If you find an article somewhere else that you would like to see re-printed on UG, submit it with proper citation (just an author and/or website). Give the author credit.

6. Look around the Coulmns pages to make sure your article hasn't alredy been written.

7. Please don't spam this forum with new suggestion threads, etc... Make a new thread to post your upcoming article, or to post a suggestion about the forum, but not for new article requests.

The following current topics are up for grabs:

1. We are considering a series of articles called "10 Guitarists You Never Heard Of." basically, it's bringing the brilliant work of lesser known artists to the forefront. Post your chosen ten guitarists here, and if there's no problem, go ahead with your article.

2. An article or two on making good original use of effects pedals for the guitar or bass. It might be best to choose an artist (Tom Morello, John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, The Edge) as an example for your article.

3. Any kind of commentary on the importance of practicing and such. We don't necessarily want a lesson here, because there's a whole seperate section for lessons. But a piece about WHY you should practice would be really good.

4. Rankles has already written one article on home recording with a computer, but the topic is huge, so if anyone wants to expand on that topic, it's up for grabs.

5. Ultimate Gear Reviews are being accepted too, so long as they follow the guidelines laid down in the thread (it's sticked at the top of this forum).

suggest away!

Moto+_+
03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Cool....first post!

Well...a nice review on how to do our Cd's in Recorder's...like the benefits of more Tracks...how to do them....the basics...some good recorders and so on.

Its like...i recieved my new musicians friend magaziine...the recording issue...and i see a lot of recorders...some with 8tracks, 10 tracks 24 tracks and so on....but i say....ok...and now what do i do with all this buttons....the sliding things or tracks...w/e they are called...how to find the perfect sound with an EQ... and so on...i know nothing so a good review would be really beneficial

EDIT: I just saw the thread about this so...if you read this good then...try to make a revier but there is a thread about this suggestion

Backup Guitar
03-11-2004, 05:32 PM
^ Yeah, I suppose recorders can be complicated. Maybe an article about how to use recorders / mixers would be nice.

Oh, another idea I have is 'Caring for your Tube Amp'. I will be writing this one, but if I don't get it done before the weekend, it'll have to wait a while. I'm going to be leaving monday to British Colombia, then coming back on the next monday, late at night. So I guess y'all will miss me....

libralirational
03-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Is this just music or can articles be on other misc. things? I'd like to start writing on current affairs for America mostly (since I live in that region of the world), to get kids educated on topics besides just "will there ever be another great guitarist ever" or whatever that article was called (if that sounded like an attack...half the attack cuz it was more of an example).

Backup Guitar
03-12-2004, 05:31 PM
*smacks forehead*

1) http://www.ultimate-GUITAR.com
2) I wrote that article.
3) If this sounded like an attack, half the attack.

MrLucky77713
03-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Well, i could do it, but if someone else wanted to make a brief history of metal starting with the 60's (i think thats when it started) and ending with today, just including the subgenres such as Nu Metal (most people here would be loath to write about it but it IS metal) and not turning the article into a rant, itd b great. But if it's bombard the newb day, i can research and write it myself, but i don't listen to as much metal and im not as passionate about it so im not the best candidate

frigginjerk
03-13-2004, 04:41 PM
yeah, just to officially clarify:

ALL articles MUST be related in some way to GUITAR or MUSIC IN GENERAL.

not trying to rip on the guy who suggested it, but i just want to save people from wasting their time. I won't approve non-music articles, and zappp won't post them anyways.

MrLucky77713: I suggest letting someone else handle that article, especially if it's not really your fave genre to begin with. but if you wanna do research and stuff, go for it.

frigginjerk
03-13-2004, 10:55 PM
i've got an idea for a series of columns...

i'd like to do reviews of certain albums that stand out as not only an exemplary bunch of songs by a good band, but that work well as a collective statement. albums such as Dark Side of The Moon, The Wall, Nevermind, Back In Black, Californication, etc...

basically, an extensive review and anlysis of albums that really made a mark, not so much for hit singles, but simply as great pieces of art.

and i'm going to lay down my claim on the first one:

Sublime - Self-Titled

this album OWNS, and I think it definitely stands out as a depiction of the life of a heroin-addicted musician in the poor part of Anaheim in the mid 90's.

anyone else wanna do one?

MrLucky77713
03-14-2004, 03:37 PM
hmm... albums of collective statements... youre going to get a LOT of suggestions here man... i propose London Calling by The Clash, really influential, regarded by many as one of the most influential of all time. the song for which the album is named is an all time favorite and really is an anthem for britain at the time

By the way... that metal history is up for grabs, if theres no takers within 7 days i may have to do it myself.

Whiskey Leech
03-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I think I'll continue with my line of History Of columns.

nOtReGiStErEd
03-14-2004, 08:38 PM
I will be writing my black sabbath history for the end of this week, haven't had time but i have some now and i might as well make use of it

Pierre Kacsinta
03-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey everyone My friend and I are starting a website (www.lamusicreview.com) that will concentrate on the Los Angeles music scene. We're going to write show reviews, features and interview musicians. Since we are both from Los Angeles, we're only able to cover L.A. acts. However, we will accept reviews and story ideas from anywhere in the U.S. or abroad. If anyone is interested in writing for my on-line publication email me at primetimepierre@yahoo.com. If you write a cool article for ultimate-guitar chances are that you can get it published on my website as well. Of course I can't pay you for your article cause I go to college, thus I have no money. But you will get credit for your story so long as it is your story not something you lifted from another publication. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Pierre

frigginjerk
03-16-2004, 01:46 AM
^

good to know, but i'd appreciate if you didn't advertise your site too heavily on UG. UG is free as well, so zappp can't have unsolicited advertising on his boards.

it's fine if you have it in your sig, or mention it now and then, but i don't think it would go over too well if you posted the link on your submitted UG articles.

hey, are you still gonna write for us? they loved your first piece.

Whiskey Leech
03-16-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking of History Of: The Ramones. They are one of my favourite bands and have quite a history so it could be a long 'un. :D

MrLucky77713
03-16-2004, 04:23 PM
^^Histories of certain band scan get flamed unless they are done very completely. Be careful

frigginjerk
03-16-2004, 04:25 PM
^

that's what I'M here for. i won't be approving any half-assed histories.

Geldof the Grey
03-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Whiskey Leech: I don't mean to be harsh, I'm no expert at anything and I just dabble, but we know that your contribution to the GtGL was not as well recieved as the other parts so far (although I liked it, just that friggin jerk takes all the credit for everything, but don't tell him I said that) but everyone loves your history ofs and from some of your posts here and elsewhere on this board I think you like writing them and are much more enthusiastic about them than the various guides flying about.

that friggin jerk:
good call on the important albums things. What category is that. History of perhaps or more artist discussions probably?
If I get around to one of these, I'm going to do either the first Korn album or a big brittish punk (either something by the jam or Never Mind The Bollocks)

Something I might do if I get around to it is a cut-down, simplified guide to harmonising. Basically, a beginners guide to keys and pentatonic scales and cutting out everything about 7ths, embellishments and wierd scales. Has a really simple guide to harmonising been done already?

frigginjerk
03-16-2004, 07:08 PM
yeah, everyone loves Whiskey's history of's.

the important albums is definitely Artist's Discussions.

and good idea for the beginner's article Geldof.

word.

Pierre Kacsinta
03-17-2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the advertising thing. I wasn't planning on linking my site with submitted articles, but its good to know the position of the site...I want to keep writing for this site but school is kicking my ass. I can barely keep up with tests and papers so it makes it tough to do anything else...talk to you soon.

Pierre

frigginjerk
03-17-2004, 01:58 AM
^

me too man, me too. school blows.

Geldof the Grey
03-18-2004, 12:20 PM
^OK, I'll write that up this weekend. It'll sound really basic to anyone who knows their theory, but it's for those people who keep posting riffs with no regard for the fact that they keep changing key, y'know?

Whiskey Leech
03-18-2004, 01:18 PM
^Geldof and 'Jerk :D

I know my guide article wasn't top notch (4* not too bad :p:) but it was a bit rushed and I think I could have probably done more areas. The feedback and comments overall weren't that bad though.

I love writing the History articles, as everyone seems to like them and they have all had a good rating and comments so far. Seeing as I came up withe the idea in the first place!!! :)

In future, unless I know I can do as well as you guys on the guides or whatever, I'll stick to History Ofs.

UGs Historian, WL.
:cheers:

Geldof the Grey
03-19-2004, 12:38 PM
^Don't get me wrong man, it's not a bad column. You just need to take more time over them and I don't think you really want to :D you take ages over revisions and do several, the megadeath 'history of' had about 8 revisions, right?

Historians however... they have decades! You cna still write columns, you can even finish off the guide to going live column you still have to do if you have a chance.

Whiskey Leech
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
^yeah the Megadeth one was my first and I knew it was going to be hard seeing as many people that come here, know and like the band.

I won't be able to finish the GtGL at the minute, because I have a lot of school work to do, and we have exams coming up. Plus, I was stuck for ideas when I started on it.

I will bring the good soon enough. :D

Geldof the Grey
03-19-2004, 04:27 PM
well it doesn't mater at the moment anyway, it can wait a while.

I've just realsied that all we've been doing for a while now is sitting around slapping eachother's backs. I'm gonna go write that column, you can read over it tommorrow!

Backup Guitar
03-24-2004, 05:18 PM
*slaps geldof's back*

Have fun, buddy!

Oh, btw, I did write one more article... yet to appear. But I have seen at least 5 knockoffs of it appear! Has the art of instrumentation even be submitted? I'm positive it has... but geez...

frigginjerk
03-24-2004, 05:36 PM
^

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/the_art_of_instrumentation.html

'tard.

germinator2000
03-26-2004, 07:21 AM
I was wondering - how well would a guide to writing articles go? Although it is very self-reflexive, if done well, it could stop many crap articles and also raise the standards of the new articles. It would also be fairly easy to research (Just go and look at old articles with 5 stars) and then give some advice.

Also, maybe a guide to publicising your band, and getting your name known. I am in no state whatsoever to do this, as I am only in a beginning band, but maybe someone with a little more success could write one?

frigginjerk
03-26-2004, 05:50 PM
a guide to writing articles would be VERY poorly recieved. not enough people would see it, so not enough people would use it, and those that did read it would reject it because nobody like to be told what to do.

but YES, i do like the idea of a guide to publicising your band. somebody want to do that one?

Geldof the Grey
03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
<b>Band Publication could slip into the guide to going live.</b>
I'm going to stick my beginners guide to making things not sound **** up this afternoon

Backup Guitar
03-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Okay, this is what I'm going to do.

I will start the 10 guitarrists you've never heard of. I will do the first on on matthew good.

I will expect others, with their own suggestions, to write up their little bits on that guitarrist and post it in the thread. I will post up the finished article and give credit to all.

MrLucky77713
03-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Hey, here's a question. What should I do after the 90's punk article? Should I simply stop? Should I state the nature of punk that is circulating today (without bashing any of it...a true challenge for me) or just screw that and think of something else?

Mr. Lucky

frigginjerk
04-01-2004, 12:35 AM
^

you can do either. i would be REALLY careful with the current punk scene, as you are basically inviting criticism by even putting forth an opinon. but it's up to you.

what other ideas did you have?

MrLucky77713
04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah, if that current status of punk article was done any less then perfectly, I could COUNT on a good flaming. However, if the 80's and 90's articles go well I would be in good practice of objectionality, and would have some small support by those who have read and liked the others.

An opinion in such a paper is out of the question. It'd have to be completely objectional, with pros and cons for every argument.

My other ideas are doing history of:'s for the clash, ramones, sex pistols (which is an interesting one), and other punk bands who just aren't around anymore, making them truly history.

Whiskey Leech
04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
^I'm doing History of: Ramones already man.

MrLucky77713
04-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Oh, okay then. No problem, there are still plenty of other old punk bands for me to write about, the point was I'm torn between doing band histories or the current state of punk (an extremely touchy subject)

TGM
04-09-2004, 11:15 AM
I can do the history of Pink Floyd, I was supposed to do it a few months ago but school got in the way, now I'll have some free time though. I have a very rough draft written now, and I'll post it. Can I do the guide to Dark Side of the Moon? Since I've been reasearching the band so much already, it would be prudent to let me do this. I have tons of ideas floating around in my head for this article. (Yes, I'm a huge floyd fan...)

I'd also like to do a guide to proper practice. I have tons of ideas, and I could make it very detailed and helpfull.

EDIT: frigginjerk, wasn't redwing_suck doing a history of Led Zeppelin? What happened to that, I'd really love to see it completed.

Gibson808
04-11-2004, 08:07 AM
I've found that the only good columns are the ones vetted in this forum, so I always read the final draft of the column in here rather than in the actual columns section. Plus this forum is spared from the idiotic comments that people put in the columns section.

frigginjerk
04-11-2004, 12:50 PM
^

true dat.

and TGM, I think i'll PM redwing about it, and see if I can't write part 2 myself, because he's gotten way to busy to write for UG these days. i'll investigate.

MrLucky77713
04-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Either myself or someone else should do a column on why music needs labels and genres. Too many people just want to say *well labels suck, you're all losers for using labels* They're completely necessary and not just in music, there's labels for everything down to letters in the alphabet (vowels vs consonants).

YouKnowYourRite
04-13-2004, 12:18 PM
what about a collumn in a true meaning of the sense like a weekly thing were someone expresses their views on a matter they feel strongly about, i would do one.. i could call it somethig like Opinions of a madman

frigginjerk
04-13-2004, 12:47 PM
^

but can you come up with something good EVERY week? i've tried doing an article once a week myself, but the problem is that you find yourself getting into baised rants, and such...

feel free to write opinon pieces, but make sure you back up every point logically.

and unless you can prove that you've got enough ideas to write one column a week, and actually have the time and energy to deliver one column a week, i think you should just submit what you've got whenever you get around to it.

YouKnowYourRite
04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Ok well im working on the raging debate of st.anger as many a week 1..gonna show the pros and cons see how they outway, maybe include a small review of the album from my opinion..

frigginjerk
04-13-2004, 02:51 PM
i think you should review the album just as it is, not as a "Metallica Album." ie: "is this an album of good music?"

YouKnowYourRite
04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
yeah im gonna adress the issues people moan about like bad production etc. as well in there..

TGM
04-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by MrLucky77713
Either myself or someone else should do a column on why music needs labels and genres. Too many people just want to say *well labels suck, you're all losers for using labels* They're completely necessary and not just in music, there's labels for everything down to letters in the alphabet (vowels vs consonants).

It's been done, and it was done well too. Look in the colums section.

frigginjerk
04-14-2004, 04:55 AM
^

yeah, i think <b>I</b> did it.

MrLucky77713
04-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Pardon my ignorance...That WAS done well...

You think we should have a list of must-read columns? It'd stop a lot of arguing...Well, that or increase the arguing.

Can anyone help me out with some research places I can check for third world/international punk? All I've been able to deduce so far is that the scenes are largest in south america and asia. If I can't get the info, I'll stick to Japan, then do S.America (I think I could find sufficient information on either of those two)

frigginjerk
04-14-2004, 03:14 PM
^

i've suggested a "best columns" section to zappp before, but nothing came of it so far. i'll ask again.

Whiskey Leech
04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
I need more ideas for History Ofs, once I get some I'll get writing. the Ramones article has been submitted, should be up soon.

If you have any ideas let me know...

MrLucky77713
04-16-2004, 11:46 AM
^Sex Pistols, probably one of the most intriguing and downright odd histories of any punk band ever.

TGM
04-17-2004, 04:18 AM
^^ AC/DC, they have quite a history. A history of Jimi Hendrix would be good too.

YouKnowYourRite
04-17-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by TGM
^^ AC/DC, they have quite a history. A history of Jimi Hendrix would be good too.

duncan hates AC/DC :P, ill consider ac/dc when im finished with my st.anger piece

Whiskey Leech
04-17-2004, 06:02 AM
^:haha

Geldof the Grey
04-20-2004, 07:13 AM
we have the current 10 geetar-men you've never heard of.
I think it's almost time to start drafting up '10 guitarists to idolise'

any takers?

MrLucky77713
04-20-2004, 11:44 AM
That one is a little cliche eh? It might be genre specific too. A punk might idolize Brian Baker or something while a metalhead says "Fuck that, it's Wylde all the way!" Though I suppose that problem is easily avoided. Go for it...I'd take it myself but I'm too busy with this Inernational Punk thing. I've got a piece lined up right after it too. I wish I could do this for a job...

TGM
04-21-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Geldof the Grey
we have the current 10 geetar-men you've never heard of.
I think it's almost time to start drafting up '10 guitarists to idolise'

any takers?

That's a great idea, I'd love to do one but I have two other articles to do... When I'm done with those, I'll do one on Hendrix, or Gilmour if there are open spots and those aren't taken. I'm not "calling" those, if you wanna do em, then do em, I might not be able to for a while.

Whiskey Leech
04-23-2004, 01:39 PM
^seems like a good idea. what subheadings could we use? it could just be the same as the 10 guitarists you've never heard of.

Backup Guitar
04-25-2004, 12:30 PM
I think we need to have a "top 100 columns" similar to the top 100 tabs and tabbers. I mean, really, we put more work into our columns than tabbers, because we get flamed pretty harshly for our opinions, and its VERY visual. On tabs, the worst you get is, "NO YOU DIP*** ITS NOT PLAYED LIKE THAT AT ALL" Not to mention it takes a tad more work to continually spew out columns like this.

MrLucky77713
04-25-2004, 02:09 PM
^Do we have 100 columns? The idea is great though...

sjones
04-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey, what about a "Play in the Style of" or just "the Style of" threads. I would like to see and or do one on SRV, Pearl Jam, Hendrix, Doors, ect, well frankly a lot of stuff. Good idea?

alaskanbassist
04-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Is it okay if I do an article in on practising and the importance of it? Practise is important to me and I get pissed off when one of my jam mates doesn't show up for practise "because he doesn't need to practise." It's time people woke up and realized the importance of practise.

MrLucky77713
04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
^Nope, been done and mentioned. You should probably find something else. It isn't 100% my call though, in fact it isn't my call at all..

Geldof the Grey
04-30-2004, 12:54 PM
^Do we have 100 columns? The idea is great though...

backup has about that many on his own...

frigginjerk
04-30-2004, 02:35 PM
^

quality over quantity, I always say...

Geldof the Grey
04-30-2004, 03:22 PM
^Is that aimed at him, me, you... or all of us?

If you want, I'll put up the 3/4 sections of that guiude to basic guitar theory for checking over today, but I'd rather finish it off when I'm not quite busy to be honest...

alaskanbassist
05-01-2004, 04:35 PM
So what are some good topics to write about?
Any ideas?:director:

Geldof the Grey
05-01-2004, 05:01 PM
^If you want to write... work on 3/4 paragraphs on a guitarist to idolise.
Take one of these guys:
Frusciante
Hendrix
Paige
Satch
Young
or PM me with your own ideas or for more info and I'll get back to you tommorrow morning

Backup Guitar
05-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Bah, Frig, all but one of my articles are either four or five star rated, and that other one is a three star courtesy of people who can't take an opinion or two the other way.

I hope that it is possible to get one of those top 100 columns / top 10 columnists... i'd be number 2!

MrLucky77713
05-02-2004, 11:38 AM
haha I guess I wouldn't have much to worry about in the ways of top columnists lol, I've only put out 4 columns. The 5th is coming though.

alaskanbassist
05-02-2004, 05:32 PM
How many columns do you guys recieve?

Backup Guitar
05-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Uhh.. receive?

We write, not receive. Unless, of course, you guys want to steal my stuff... in which case you'll end up looking smarter than you are. Well, there goes my life savings.

Please clarify the question.

alaskanbassist
05-03-2004, 01:08 AM
I mean, don't you guys get a lot of articles? It would seem like you have to read them and approve them before you 'publish' them.

Geldof the Grey
05-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Well frigginjerk reads and approves them, everyone else writes/comments on them and moans at him about how he's an overbearing, *****y taskmaster. Nevermind, we love him.

Backup Guitar
05-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Well frigginjerk reads and approves them, everyone else writes/comments on them and moans at him about how he's an overbearing, *****y taskmaster. Nevermind, we love him.

True that. We don't get that many articles through the forum - maybe 3 per week, tops. But the thing is, these articles almost always get the top spot on the columns home page, as they're of much higher quality.

Think handbuilt Gibson over a mass produced Epiphone Special series.

Geldof the Grey
05-03-2004, 04:33 PM
^handbuilt FENDER over SQUIER you mean (don't bring those nasty les pauls and their ilk around these parts. Sexy geetars only...

Yeah, I'll write some articles, leave me alone *goes back to UG chat*

Backup Guitar
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by sjones
Hey, what about a "Play in the Style of" or just "the Style of" threads. I would like to see and or do one on SRV, Pearl Jam, Hendrix, Doors, ect, well frankly a lot of stuff. Good idea?

I could definitely contribute to that... in fact, I may well be able to do it on my own. *files nails*

Okay, geldof, we'll stick with fenders... even though i'm gonna sell my squier and get me a schecter. Hey, it rhymses!

Geldof the Grey
05-04-2004, 12:41 PM
^doesn't...

I'd like to try 'play in the style of' John Frusciate

frigginjerk
05-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Rankles PM'd me with an idea for a really good column, maybe one for Backup Guitar to write...

Floyd Rose systems. Maybe a quick lesson on how to restring them, and some commentary on their importance to heavy metal, etc...

Backup Guitar
05-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by frigginjerk
Rankles PM'd me with an idea for a really good column, maybe one for Backup Guitar to write...

Floyd Rose systems. Maybe a quick lesson on how to restring them, and some commentary on their importance to heavy metal, etc...

1) we already have one like that a while ago
2) i don't know **** about floyd roses. ask sv300 or streamline.

Rankles
05-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Backup Guitar
1) we already have one like that a while ago
2) i don't know **** about floyd roses. ask sv300 or streamline.

Yeah SV knows his shiznit. Restringing, tuning etc can be a real ***** to newbies to the system. Also the unison bend thing...

frigginjerk
05-14-2004, 01:54 AM
Bobisonthecob suggested an article on Phish. Maybe someone who is really familiar with the band could write about their contributions to Jam Rock, their insanely committed fan base, etc...

MrLucky77713
05-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Do we have an article on the Sex Pistols? Because they are the most misunderstood and interesting band in Punk history.

bobisonthecob
05-28-2004, 12:05 AM
on 5-12 i suggested an article on Phish, the greatest jam band, on 5-25 they called it quits, if this isnt enough for an article then i dont know what is. besides hot chicks

frigginjerk
05-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Do we have an article on the Sex Pistols? Because they are the most misunderstood and interesting band in Punk history.

go for it.

MrLucky77713
05-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Awesome. As soon as I submit that article, I'll get started. I might just have to scrap the 10 punk bands thread, the DIY scene is just too huge...I might pick it back up later though, when I have time in the summer.

Gibson808
06-01-2004, 11:32 AM
How about some articles on famous guitarist's equipment?
I'm planning a Jimmy Page one, listing his guitars that he has used and pointing out special features and also amps and effects equipment used. I won't be able to finish it that soon though as I'm moving to a new apartment this week so it'll be a while before I get internet access at home.

cliff_em_all
06-03-2004, 04:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats a sweet idea there lord british and exactly what i was gunna do one about :peace: .......oh well if they say yes im gunna do one about zakk wylde

sjones
06-04-2004, 01:59 PM
How about a "How to Play" column. This would be a great way for people to learn songs from others. Ideas such as scales, chords used and other concepts should be included. Good Idea?

Geldof the Grey
06-11-2004, 07:22 AM
^I thought we had that suggestion already? If not, we could take it further and do articles for different genres AND add information on equipment and amp setting to shape you sound. That sounds very interesting.

Oh, since Frigginjerk in his over-efficient 'LOVE ME ZAPPP!' way (j/k!) closed the Boss thread so we couldn't comment, I'd like to congratulate Backup on become the Editor for a while. And to scowl because if I'd worked harder I could've got the job :(

See you in the Summer, guys!

Backup Guitar
06-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Haven't I also been working here a bit longer than you Geldof?

Once Frigginjerk is gone, the place will be MINE! *picks out new wallpaper and furniture*

Anyway, hopefully we'll be seeing an increase in the traffic to the columns forum. On every article I've seen lately, I've asked them to please submit all future columns through the columns forum. Who knows, maybe an outsider might see us! It was also by chance I found this forum... nobody sees it, as its at the very bottom of the screen. *pouts*

Uhh... guys... i need some feedback on my edited article down there..

MrLucky77713
06-13-2004, 12:46 AM
*roars loudly* Approve my article!

Backup, you're article was great. Just submit it.

Geldof the Grey
06-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Backup Guitar
*picks out new wallpaper and furniture*

*Heads to IKEA to pick up a nice sofa for the waiting room, desks, a few of those wheelie-chairs and maybe a throw rug...

Hey, maybe I missed something, but is redwing gone for good?

In that case *gets plaque marked 'Deputy Editor'* and hangs it on cubicle wall...*

I'm bored so I'm gonna write something to prove I'm worth having around.

Backup Guitar
06-14-2004, 04:21 PM
You know, I just saw Redwing in the comments of "writing an ug article", so he's just hiding from us.

Awww, would you look at that? Geldof's trying to look important.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting mod status. Hmm. A chance for mayhem, perhaps?

Anyways, I will be continuing on with my series of an idiots guide to peak performance, but can anyone help with a more idiot-friendly title? :S

Geldof the Grey
06-15-2004, 12:59 PM
We could do a whole serious of Idiot's Guides... kind of like 'For Dummies' books... did anyone read 'Guitar for dummies'?

Here's some suggestions and ideas for writers/helpful people:

Idiot's guide to
- tabs and chords (I could handle this one)
- making decent recordings (bill43?)
- writing good tab (I could handle this one, although a chat with the tab editor could help. Unless that person is russian, it which case it would be no use whatsoever...)
- basic guitar maintenence
- more complex guitar maintenence

there are loads of possibilities and with a good group of people working on them they could be pretty regular occurences.

Bill43
06-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Instead of "Idiots" guide to anything... why not "Beginners" or.... just "A Guide to X".

IDK... just the word idiot is a "put-off" to me. Like the "Dummies" books.

Whatever happened to the Buying an Acoustic article?

Geldof the Grey
06-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Look, I'll tell you where the acousitc articles went when you tell me where my keyboards went!
Seriously though, I'm back for good now so I can get back to the big things I was working on before these annoying exam things came along.

Oh, and 'Idiot's guide' SOUNDS good and 'beginners' is a put off word to, y'know. At least with idiot, it's obviously a joke, and that people will still read. Anyway, I'm keeping idiot's guide for mine unless backup says otherwise (he'd better not!).

Bill43
06-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Look, I'll tell you where the acousitc articles went when you tell me where my keyboards went!

The same place as Idiots and Beginners... think about it. I'm certain it'll come to you.

Geldof the Grey
06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
^They were 'put off' keyboards?
Oh bollocks...

No hard feelings, there's always next time.

Backup Guitar
06-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Okay, kids, I already owned the whole guide to spiel with my ass-kicking "Ultimate Guide to..." series. Suh-mashing.

Nirvanaozzie could handle guitar maintenance... also SV300. I could probably chip in a couple things here and there.

I'm already on my own original idiots guide to thingy.

Speaking of which,I need to know if all the sound files are good! Go comment.

WrappedInCold
06-16-2004, 05:19 PM
alright...um i need help...i wrote literally the worst article on UG, well it has over a 100 votes with one star...and i already know what i did wrong...it sounded too narrow-minded...and i've learned that writing a bias article is the most stupid thing you can do

so can anyone help me redeem myself?

Geldof the Grey
06-16-2004, 05:21 PM
^I believe you started a thread on this already. Get in touch my friend and I'll sort you out with something to redeem yourself no problem.

WrappedInCold
06-16-2004, 05:28 PM
i need help on my next article...what should it be about?

Geldof the Grey
06-19-2004, 07:11 AM
^get me your e-mail address or add me to your MSN list (steevo_baby@hotmail.com) and I'll let you in on a few secrets that even backup wouldn't think of.

TGM
06-21-2004, 04:05 AM
To WrappedInACord:

Just shut up about your stupid article already. We don't care, and if you write some good ones, people will forget. Just look at some of FriggenJerk's early ones, they weren't the best.

Oh, and what about The Dynasty of Led Zeppelin? Last time I heard, FrigginJerk said that he would be continuing that.

Just a notice, I'll have holidays soon, so I'll actually have time to do that perfect practice guide that I said I'd do six months ago.

PychoArtRocker
07-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Whiskey Leech
I need more ideas for History Ofs, once I get some I'll get writing. the Ramones article has been submitted, should be up soon.

If you have any ideas let me know...

Do a article on therys on how music started with drums and how some experts think the bow and arrow started string instements.

bass_maiden
07-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I'd like to write an article on bass effects, and the bassists who have integrated pedals and effects into their music. Has anybody already done this? Thanks :)

jof1029
07-11-2004, 10:56 PM
ok so we have a guide to buying first guitars, but it is focused on buying electrics. i did a search and couldnt find a guide to buying acoustics and i would like to do one. if it hasnt already been done just let me know and i will start on it. and if it has been done can somebody tell me where it is so i can read it?

Geldof the Grey
07-12-2004, 06:28 AM
There is one in these forums. The whole guide was put on hold. If you want to take up these guides, I'd be happy for you to finish them. I'll even finish the beginners guide so you can go straight into the intermidiate section of the ultimate beginners guide.

jof1029
07-12-2004, 09:35 AM
geldof if you've got one in the works then thats cool. i just thought the site needed a guide to buying acoustics. i dont think i really know enough to write an intermediate guide. i guess ill find something else to write about then.

EDIT: you know what, if you get a beginners guide up i will do an intermediate guide. i know a little and i can always do some research.

Geldof the Grey
07-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Great, I will complete and submit the continuation of the Ultimate Buyers Guide over the next few days and you can use it as a template to base the second set around. You can draft in help from whoever you want to help you complete your columns.

undead_bunny
07-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Hey this has probally been done before but if no one has done it I would like to do a one on the history of Nirvana. Please tell me if someone did it already cause i'm really interested in doing it. :D

Geldof the Grey
07-16-2004, 11:34 AM
^Yep, go right ahead!

undead_bunny
07-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Sweet i'll start workin right away! :p:

bass_maiden
07-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok I've changed my mind from an article on bass effects to an article on the history of the modern bass guitar...if this hasn't done before :) especially as research has thrown up some info about a guy called Paul Tutmarc who apparantly invented the first electric bass guitar, not Fender like everybody thinks... the replies about that should be interesting...

MrLucky77713
07-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Damn them all to hell. I think they're not putting up the International Punk article just to spite me now. Rawr. If you read this Prince, post your suggestion for me here...Unless you're pming it to me.

WhiteKnight123
07-26-2004, 02:48 AM
I have an idea, how about we do a few of articles on bands that changed music, or were very influental, they could range from Led Zeppelin to Frank Sanatra for all i care, but like a couple punk bands, some rock bands, some jazz even!?

Geldof the Grey
07-26-2004, 04:32 AM
'10 Bands that Changed the World'?

I call a spot if this gets the go ahead!

WhiteKnight123
07-26-2004, 03:21 PM
What band would you want to do? I was thinking I would like to do Jimi Hendrix Experience but i'm up for anything.

MrLucky77713
07-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Bands that changed the world, huh? I call a spot as well.

WhiteKnight123
07-30-2004, 02:52 AM
ok

Backup Guitar
08-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight123
I have an idea, how about we do a few of articles on bands that changed music, or were very influental, they could range from Led Zeppelin to Frank Sanatra for all i care, but like a couple punk bands, some rock bands, some jazz even!?

Go for it.

Weebl
08-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Since theres barely any bass columns i was thinking about doing something along the lines of top 10 most influential bassists if something like that hasnt already been done before.

Skidrowpunk
08-11-2004, 04:18 AM
pie

bass_maiden
08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Weebl
Since theres barely any bass columns i was thinking about doing something along the lines of top 10 most influential bassists if something like that hasnt already been done before.

I'd be interested in doing one on somebody (or as many as you want) if you wana make it a joint thing :)

Weebl
08-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bass_maiden
I'd be interested in doing one on somebody (or as many as you want) if you wana make it a joint thing :)

Yea sure, thanks mate :cheers:

bass_maiden
08-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Just a quick Q- are these all gonne be separate like those '10 guitarists you've never heard of' articles?
Just let me know who you've picked and I'll get started on one :D woo a project!

Weebl
08-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Yea, It would probably be 10 seperate articles, ill probably go with flea first, not sure yet though, i really should have thought this through more :sad:

bass_maiden
08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Weebl
Yea, It would probably be 10 seperate articles, ill probably go with flea first, not sure yet though, i really should have thought this through more :sad:

Dibs on Cliff :p: Who were you thinking of for the 10? It should probably cover a huge range of styles or people will get grouchy...
My suggestions...(add or change them as you like-but don't cut Cliff out :p: )
Flea
Cliff
Jaco
James Jamerson
Les Claypool
Paul McCartney / John Entwhistle?
Bootsie Collins?
Geezer Butler / The guy from Led Zepplin I can't remember his name
That's all I could think of... and some of them I'm doubtful about! There's not really that many awe-inspiring bassists :sad: Pm me about it if you like

cliff_em_all
08-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Alright is this a good idea, I would like to do some on the "Greats" on the geetaarr. from hammet to van halen, i LOVE doin this kind of crap. Just wanna see what kind of feedback i would get for this. Thanks for your time

JOe :rasta:

MrLucky77713
08-13-2004, 02:01 AM
^ being done as we speak. no need for it.

The_Mutato
08-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Maybe there could be a column with the 10+ bass riffs every bassist should know? Like Californication, Peace Sells, Master of Puppets, etc. As part of the "Weekend bass riff" thing maybe :confused:

bass_maiden
08-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by The_Mutato
Maybe there could be a column with the 10+ bass riffs every bassist should know? Like Californication, Peace Sells, Master of Puppets, etc. As part of the "Weekend bass riff" thing maybe :confused:

Yeah but there'd be too much *****ing in the comments part of '{insert song here} wasn't on the list, 1 star, or '{insert song here} is a **** bassline, it's too easy, you suck'... basically everybody has a different idea of what the best bass riffs are and if their's isn't on the list they'll most likely give you 1 star

Weebl
08-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by bass_maiden
Dibs on Cliff :p: Who were you thinking of for the 10? It should probably cover a huge range of styles or people will get grouchy...
My suggestions...(add or change them as you like-but don't cut Cliff out :p: )
Flea
Cliff
Jaco
James Jamerson
Les Claypool
Paul McCartney / John Entwhistle?
Bootsie Collins?
Geezer Butler / The guy from Led Zepplin I can't remember his name
That's all I could think of... and some of them I'm doubtful about! There's not really that many awe-inspiring bassists :sad: Pm me about it if you like

I was definatly thinking of cliff been one of them, i was also thinking about maybe steve harris and geddy lee been in there aswell, i dont know yet though.

bass_maiden
08-14-2004, 06:15 AM
I'll get started on the Cliff one, if that's alright with you and maybe decide who else to do after we've written the first ones?
...Damn I feel really bossy and like I'm taking control of the whole thing :( I'm sorry :sad:

Weebl
08-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Nah its fine dont worry, ill start doing the one on flea now.

Backup Guitar
08-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Guys, since this is a suggestion box,

I would highly SUGGEST that you go to my column (idiots guide to peak performance) and have a listen to the soundclips I've posted.

I need some approval before I can submit the article, and it's been waiting for a LONG TIME.

germinator2000
08-26-2004, 07:28 AM
I was thinking...how about a guide to guitars? I think it would be a good (but lengthy) article on the main guitar manufacturers (Fender, Gibson, Tokai, Ibanez etc.) stating the distinguishing characteristics of each make, who would like it, famous people who used it. If this could become a definitive article, many people would find it useful when looking for their next guitar purchase. Just an idea....

funeralforafrie
09-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Well with all the reunions going on atm, about a "How to pull off a successful comeback after a split" column, I'd be very interested to read it, If nobody else wants to do it, I might even try it myself.

cliff_em_all
09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by funeralforafrie
Well with all the reunions going on atm, about a "How to pull off a successful comeback after a split" column, I'd be very interested to read it, If nobody else wants to do it, I might even try it myself.

I'ld try it just for you ;) .:p: . I'll get writing then.

Joe :peace:

MrLucky77713
09-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Why don't we do an article on the difference in styles between Acoustic and Electric guitars? That'd be an interesting read. Since the Acoustic is usually used alone and pretty much keeps it's own beat...I couldn't write it, though.

ultimate_punk
10-10-2004, 07:42 AM
^I dont think that would work........

mackdaddy
10-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Has anyone thought of a History of Metallica?

SilentDeftone
10-26-2004, 08:29 PM
I think an article fully explaining modes well should be done to un-confuse those who have read the one that's currently on the front page.

I've got a rough outline for part of one, I copy-pasted it into ghettohippygrrl's thread in the Basics forum as part of a reply. If anyone wants to jack it and improve it, be my guest!

slash_620
10-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Why don't we do an article on the difference in styles between Acoustic and Electric guitars? That'd be an interesting read. Since the Acoustic is usually used alone and pretty much keeps it's own beat...I couldn't write it, though.

i think its a good idea if someone could write an in depth article on it.i know it might be a bit hard to write about because its pretty obvious the differences between acoustic and electric,but i suppose if you could find enogh examples of different styles that can be played on them it would be intresting.

slash_620
10-27-2004, 10:03 AM
continuing in the vain of '10 best....' what about the ten greatest guitars?
and each week some one could write an article on one of them which would include; who played it,how much,why its one of the ten greatest guitars ever and things like that.

Preid
11-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Im not really botherd if this gets shot down in flames then licked up and spat back at me but heres a suggestion.

Why dosent someone pick a song, say a solo guitar peice. The challenge is basicly who can play it back the best and add to it a little, you know customise it a bit. Have like a top ten every month of who did what and a like to where they can hear it. Im not talking eruption or anything like that. It would raise moral and get ppl practicin more. It would make for interesting times...

noodles_wazaman
11-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I saw the lesson (rather than a column) about kirk hammet in here and i ve started doing one on adam jones from tool. i have done a fair bit so far and i think its pretty detailed, and reasonably well written.

i still have plenty more stuff to add, but it'd be cool if you could tell me whether or not its likely to be submitted. i ll PM you and if you want to look at what i ve done so far i ll post it.

bass_maiden
12-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Ok it's taken me God knows how long to get round to it, but I'm gonna start another article- a brief history of Iron Maiden... anybody willing to help, or anybody with anything that could be put in it, can you PM it to me please? Cheers mateys :)

Suggestion- an article on 'top 5 bass FAQs' i.e 'How do I slap and pop?', 'I can't play guitar- should I switch to bass?' and the like

Geldof the Grey
01-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't really swing by here much any more, but apparently I'm still subscribed to this thread and I'd just like to say that maybe this c*nt should read the FAQ's before he posts in the wrong forums... jackass...

rob_acoustic
02-27-2005, 01:49 AM
This is what I have to say. If we want to somewhat officalize the site's reviews and columns then I would select only so many people to do it. It will restrict bias opinions. This is just to better the site I think. The site is great and I love it now, but to tighten it up even more I would select certain people to write columns and reviews. I personally would be dedicated to do so. That's what I think. If not then that's fine too. Great job guys!