Hohner B2A

PDA

View Full Version : Hohner B2A

shinhoman
05-16-2008, 12:19 PM
what are your thought on this bass?
there is one going on ebay pretty cheaply at the moment im in thinking about it?

so has any one played one before? what was it like?

xx

shinhoman
05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
sorry for double posting but it's ending pretty soon,
does anyone have any opinions?

xx

83lespaulstudio
05-16-2008, 08:42 PM
if it were me, i would say no to this bass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOHNER-B2A-ACTIVE-HEADLESS-BASS-STEINBERGER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ150246619803QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122
Hohner is copying a "not very popular", Steinberger bass. i feel sure it would not compare in tone to a Squier VM Jazz. you already have a T-Bird. i would try to improve
on your next bass purchase. :cool:

shinhoman
05-17-2008, 05:21 PM
i knew i would get a thunderbird comment....

*sigh* how boringly predictable

83lespaulstudio
05-17-2008, 05:41 PM
i knew i would get a thunderbird comment....

*sigh* how boringly predictable
if you like your Bird, don't be ashamed of it. i'm just saying i wouldn't spend any money on the B2A. unless you want to own both, of the least popular basses ever built. imo. *sigh* :cool:

shinhoman
05-17-2008, 08:16 PM
at least you're not one of the 'FuNderBiRds R ****' people that soo many on this forum have turned into.
i was only considering this bass because it was going for quite a cheap price on ebay, but, the listing has finished now and i got outbid in the last 30 seconds. ahh well heh.

xx

WhyLater
05-17-2008, 11:07 PM
^Yeah... people tend to latch on the common opinions in a forum with incredible zeal, so they're accepted. Not only is it pathetic, but it only makes matters worse.

...I mean I still think T-Birds suck, but that's why it's called an opinion. :D

And I agree with 83LPS - you might like the T-Bird, but you're still going to need a more versatile bass as well. VMF Jazz is a good, tried-and-true suggestion, but there are plenty more out there. Happy hunting.

kranoscorp
05-18-2008, 12:52 AM
I am not a fan of Hohner, they are very strict with how basses are made. What I mean by this is that they offer your double humbucking active bass, but they do not offer single+split active. The drop tuner is also only available on a certain model. Another gripe is that although they are the child company of steinberger, you will not find many of the features on the hohner that you would on the steinberger. ALthough this is normal for most child companies, this is particularly concerning since the entire basis of steinberger was built upon utility. The fact that they are made in korea also means that it would be a bad bass to upgrade to.

TLDR: Don't get it.

CephalidHunter
05-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Hohner has build these instruments under license, and if i recall they are build in the same factory that the steinberger spirit and synapse line are made. They are similar to steinbergers except for the control layout and the fact that they dont use graphite in the designs (spirits dont either). Hohner headless instruments are probably the best of the "knock-offs" except for the klein ones.

shut_up_you_***
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I owned the B2V (the 5 string version). I personally didn't like it. I think because of the maghony core and small size, I found it too mid heavy. Also although I tried, I just couldn't get used to the way the bass hung from my body. It was a very convenient bass however (if you didn't mind getting a few odd looks form people thinking you're carrying a rifle in a case).

I sold mine (mainly because the B string sounded crap), but it was a useful spare backup bass.

creepingjesus73
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
The 'body-less' Hohners are an acquired taste. Not everone's bag. Having said that, they're damn good, and sound very different to the T-bird.
Btw, they didn't all have HH setups, there were many JJ's, and some JH's too. The lack of PJ's always was a bit odd. All EMG powered I'm sure.
Still miss my Jack V...