So i just recorded my first two Blues licks... hope you'll check 'em out!

PDA

View Full Version : So i just recorded my first two Blues licks... hope you'll check 'em out!

geetarmanic
05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I've been learning guitar about five months now and have got a few basic things down in this time. I'm into slow blues.

Here's a couple of short licks i came up with whilst playing around with the Am Pentatonic Blues Scale (not claiming originality or anything).

I'd be interested in any feedback on my playing.

Sorry for the extremely low sound quality... recorded on my computer with Audacity... not sure why it is so quiet so you'll have to turn the player's and your speaker's volume up! (EDIT: FIXED THE LOW SOUND ISSUE).

You can hear both licks in my profile here:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/geetarmanic/music/

Here's the tab for lick 1:

E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------8--------------------------------------------------------------------
G----7--8--9-------9---7b8------------------7/8/7---5--7------------5---------
D-------------------------------10---7--10--------------------5---7--------6/7--
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone's interested, i'll do the tab for the other lick too.

coca_cola
05-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I like!!

wish I had some recording equip so I could put a couple of mine out.

Lastin
05-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Very nice for just... what was it 5 months?

I can see you got some alright composition skills, not to generic, I think if you keep at it, you're gonna be playing some wicked fun blues.

Just started learning the stuff myself, been lovin it. No more metal haha.

Dimebag22
05-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Cool.

Just a few tips :)

Work on your vibrato. Vibrato is a very, very important part of blues, if not the MOST important part of blues. Especially slow blues. It's an easy technique to learn, but it takes time to master. Try to get it going and just practice it in your playing and eventually it will be sick. Listen to BB King for examples of that! BB King is the King of vibrato. ;)

Work on your bending. Bending is like a vibrato, but you gotta get to a higher note than what you started at, and then once you have the vibrato down, you can vibrato the bent note. :) Just try bending a half-step at first, then play the actual note that you are trying to get to and practice until they are almost exact. Then work on your full-step bends, and so on...

Hope that helps a little :)
:cheers:
Kris

syk3d
05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Cool.

Just a few tips :)

Work on your vibrato. Vibrato is a very, very important part of blues, if not the MOST important part of blues. Especially slow blues. It's an easy technique to learn, but it takes time to master. Try to get it going and just practice it in your playing and eventually it will be sick. Listen to BB King for examples of that! BB King is the King of vibrato. ;)

Work on your bending. Bending is like a vibrato, but you gotta get to a higher note than what you started at, and then once you have the vibrato down, you can vibrato the bent note. :) Just try bending a half-step at first, then play the actual note that you are trying to get to and practice until they are almost exact. Then work on your full-step bends, and so on...

Hope that helps a little :)
:cheers:
Kris

These are both very good points. I agree, vibrato is probably the most important skill to learn in the blues (and other genres, but to a lesser extent in my opinion). Master it, and your playing will sound a whole lot better.

geetarmanic
05-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I like!!

wish I had some recording equip so I could put a couple of mine out.

Thanks for the feedback!

As for recording equipment, you've probably got everything you need already: Your (electric) guitar, guitar lead, and a jack-plug adapter so you can plug the lead straight into your computer (very cheap if you don't have one). The only other thing you need is the free Audacity software which you can download online. A very basic set up, but it works. There are some threads on it in the Riffs & Recordings forum.

geetarmanic
05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
I managed to up the recording volume a little so the licks should sound a little clearer now!

Dimebag22
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Did you take into my tips into consideration? Trust me, I'm not bashing your playing at all, I'm just merely giving you some tips to make your playing sound much better :)

geetarmanic
05-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Did you take into my tips into consideration? Trust me, I'm not bashing your playing at all, I'm just merely giving you some tips to make your playing sound much better :)

Yes, those tips were very helpful. Many thanks.

I've been working on bends... full step bends are still a little tricky, especially on the high 'e' string but i'm getting there. There's a half step bend in lick 1 (--7b8--) for example.

I've also worked on vibrato but admittedly don't use it as often as i could. Since your post, i can see how a vibrato at the end of lick 1 would sound nice.

I know i need to add more 'feeling' into my playing and bends, vibrato, hammer-ons etc. will help bring licks and solos to life.

Again, thanks for the encouragement and useful advice.

geetarmanic
05-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Very nice for just... what was it 5 months?

I can see you got some alright composition skills, not to generic, I think if you keep at it, you're gonna be playing some wicked fun blues.

Thanks, :) Enjoyed your 'Jam' track too!