D2 chord

PDA

View Full Version : D2 chord

whatadrag
05-18-2008, 04:59 PM
how do I play this? I've looked through all the chord books I can find and on these forums and I can't find it.

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Archeo Avis
05-18-2008, 05:00 PM
That's because it isn't a chord, it's an interval. It consists of a root, and a major second.

Dudududa
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I believe....using my botch job music knowlege

That a D2 is just a D chord with the top E open

But dont quote me on that

-Chris

whatadrag
so how do I finger that?

Retro Rocker
Unless you mean Dsus2?

:-D
05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
so how do I finger that?
You could play something like:
e-----------------
B-----------------
G---9-------------
D--12------------
A-----------------
E-----------------

E V H 5150
05-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I believe....using my botch job music knowlege

That a D2 is just a D chord with the top E open

But dont quote me on that

-Chris

I know I'm quoting you on this...

But yeah, you're correct.

It would look something like

e 0
B 3
G 2
D 0

05-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I know I'm quoting you on this...

But yeah, you're correct.

It would look something like

e 0
B 3
G 2
D 0
No. He's wrong and you're wrong. That's a Dsus2, not a D2. A D2 is interval.

chea_man
05-18-2008, 05:13 PM
i bet they meant to do a D sus 2 chord, like shown above. ive seen alot of people that dont know mch about music call them D2 chords, but really there is no such thing as a D 2 chord.

whatadrag
05-18-2008, 05:17 PM
whats an interval? I'm just trying to read some music for my youth group band.

05-18-2008, 05:20 PM
An interval simply describes the harmonic distance between two notes.

chea_man
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
if its yourth group band, than im 100% sure that its supposed to be a sus2 chord. worship bands use them all the time. in fact they use it so much that its annoying. i play in a christian rock band, and i get so mad when someone wants to play modern worship songs because there all the same.

GuitarMunky
05-18-2008, 05:31 PM

its most likely just a nomenclature issue. it has nothing to do with intervals.

So your reading a chord chart for your youth group and you see D2 as one of the chords right? What they are most likely looking for is a Dsus2:

---0-------------------------------------
---3-------------------------------------
---2-------------------------------------
---0-------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

For some reason alot of charts written for contemporary christian music uses "2" in place sus2, and add9 chords.

Cadd9 is often written C2. Dsus2 & Asus2 are also often written D2 & A2.

Somewhere along the line someone started using that nomenclature, and its become common place now.

radiantmoon
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
No. He's wrong and you're wrong. That's a Dsus2, not a D2. A D2 is interval.

Ive actually seen Dsus2 been notated as D2, I know its not correct to write it like that but I have seen it been used to mean Dsus2.

05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Ive actually seen Dsus2 been notated as D2, I know its not correct to write it like that but I have seen it been used to mean Dsus2.
Okay, but that's basically my point. You're just affirming what I said.

GuitarMunky
05-18-2008, 05:36 PM

Intervals have nothing to do with what the guy is looking for.

D2 = Dsus2 for his purposes. It's just a matter of nomenclature.

No reason for arguments over whats correct or not. The TS just wants to know what chord to play:

thats been answered, as well as the reason why its labeled that way.

05-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Intervals have nothing to do with what the guy is looking for.

D2 = Dsus2 for his purposes. It's just a matter of nomenclature.
I was letting him know that D2 is an incorrect way to refer to it, and gave him a way to finger a D2 interval. If someone asks for a D2, I assume that intervals have something to do with what they're looking for, seeing as that's an interval.

GuitarMunky
05-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I was letting him know that D2 is an incorrect way to refer to it, and gave him a way to finger a D2 interval. If someone asks for a D2, I assume that intervals have something to do with what they're looking for, seeing as that's an interval.

thats fine, but here is a chance for you to learn something.

its common for charts of contemporary christian music to notate both sus2 and add9 chords simply as 2.

If you understand that, you will realize that intervals have nothing to do with his question.

05-18-2008, 05:43 PM
thats fine, but here is a chance for you to learn something.

its common for charts of contemporary christian music to notate both sus2 and add9 chords simply as 2.

If you understand that, you will realize that intervals have nothing to do with his question.
That's an interesting little fact there, thanks; I have no idea why but I've never played Christian charts so it's good to have picked up on that.

I hope I was able to inform him of why it's not usually referred to that way, that's all.

whatadrag
05-18-2008, 05:54 PM
ok thanks for all the help I'll remember the dsus2!

radiantmoon
05-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Not really, If I ever saw a D2 I would assume it meant Dsus2, which is the correct way of notating it. I wouldnt think about an interval unless It clearly said it was the Major second from D.

Ordinary
05-18-2008, 06:21 PM
You can play this.... doing that sort of stuff :p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTaOvzZKRxA

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF1T_CdGro

05-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Not really, If I ever saw a D2 I would assume it meant Dsus2, which is the correct way of notating it. I wouldnt think about an interval unless It clearly said it was the Major second from D.
Then you're technically thinking incorrectly, from a fundamental standpoint it should be the other way around.

radiantmoon
05-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Then you're technically thinking incorrectly, from a fundamental standpoint it should be the other way around.

But in general that is normally what its supposed to mean. People would normally decribe it as a Major second from D anyway rather than just writing D2,and if they did Write D2 they would usually say the interval of D2. Its actually quite common practice to use D2 instead of Dsus2, although I do prefer using Dsus2.

05-18-2008, 06:39 PM
But in general that is normally what its supposed to mean. People would normally decribe it as a Major second from D anyway rather than just writing D2,and if they did Write D2 they would usually say the interval of D2. Its actually quite common practice to use D2 instead of Dsus2, although I do prefer using Dsus2.
More common=/= more accurate.

But the thread's done with, no need to keep this argument going.

Ordinary
05-18-2008, 06:45 PM
You can write as D/E or Dadd9. Since the rest of the notes arn't being played.

Or if you see it or hear in a different way. it's just E with a b7.
There's just not enough information.