Adam jones sound?

PDA

View Full Version : Adam jones sound?

banjo666
05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
hi, i'm looking into buying some effects pedals and i was wondering which ones i could get to create an Adam Jones / Tool sound.

Not so much the distortion as i have that covered, more the 'weirder' effects that i have no idea about ^^

sorry if this has been asked before.

MESAexplorer
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
What kind of gear do you have?

Adam Jone's rig is one of the most complicated that I have seen.

As for effects, about all he uses is a wah and talkbox. He might have a whole floorboard but in all seriousness, it's all about his tone, most of the guitar is striaghtfoward.

Also, instead of changing channels, always use the bridge pickup and roll off the volume knob for the cleaner tones.

banjo666
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
yeah, his rig is insanly complicated, and i have no chance of recreating it haha

I am using the bridge pickup but thanks for the volume knob trick ^^

A wah? can u / anyone suggest a good one?

BCFC
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
What are you using for the distortion? I'm looking for a decent distortion pedal that will do an Adam Jones-ish type of tone, will probably go for the Marshall Shredmaster

He uses a lot of flanger, and a Crybaby 535Q wah I believe

papersun87
05-20-2008, 06:06 PM
He's got delay and flange in there, too. I think his most current rig is a Boss DD-3 and a Line 6 DL4 for delays and a Japanese-made Boss BF-2 for a flanger, but I might be wrong about that.

FLCLcowdude
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Just get a marshall superbass and a Blueface Diezel VH-4. That should cover it. :D

Nah, just get a good tube amp.

TheShred201
05-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey, he had 2 Diezel's when I saw them, along with the superbass. 1 just doesn't cut it anymore

:-D

Honestly, diezel's have a very unique tone which is going to be very hard to replicate really accurately with just a pedal. If there was a pedal that sounded like a diezel, then many people would have spent a lot less than they did for their rig.

Toolfan11
05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
He uses a Diezel VH4 running through a Mesa 4x12, Diezel Herbert through a Mesa 4x12, and the Marshall super bass.
His pedals have pretty much been said, with the exception of his Foxx tone machine and a few custom pedals made by his tech. As for his synth from what i hear it's a korg synth don't know about the model. The new all Tool issue of revolver has a little bit about his rig.

papersun87
05-20-2008, 11:18 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/papersun87/adamjonespedalboard.jpg

Right to left (not necessarily the actual chain order):
2 BOSS PSMs
MXR MicroAmp
bb535 Dunlop wah
BOSS DD-3
BOSS BF-2
DOD FX40b
Strobostomp
Line 6 DL-4

Not pictured - Heil TalkBox

For amps, the aforementioned Diezels and Marshall Super Bass, plus a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto. :)

MESAexplorer
05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
No, 2 VH4's and a Superbass.

The blueface is set with a scooped tone, the silverface is set with a high treble and mid tone and the superbass is set with the treble and bass at 0 and the mids at 10. This is his live tone. His recorded tone involved a Diezel Blueface VH4 for the first guitar track and a combination of a Rivera KR7 ( you can really hear it) Marshall Superbass and the other VH4 for his secondary tracks. His Gibson Les Paul Silverbursts are all from 78-85 due to the difference in the paint used, which degrades the wood under it, which "adds to the tone"...

As for a wah, you want something with a huge amount of squak to it. The Bad horsie and Dime/535Qs are great choices. I recommend the dime/535 because you can leave it in a low position without having to constanty depress it, which is something adam does for the end of lateralus and a few other songs to boost the treble and cut the bass. Overall I do prefer the bad horsie though, it's much easier to use if you just want to go kirk hammett or vai style.

You don't need the gain cranked either. If you notice on songs like Jambi, he doesn't have a huge amount of sustaining liquifying gain, it's quite chunky in fact. Something you're not going to get from a 1x12 combo and a distortion pedal. More or less something a stack is going to provide the best.

If you're limited on money, a 5150/6505 is going to have the most similar gain structure. Searing and bassy. Crank the mids and get an OD to dry up the bottom end. If you can find some way to bring in some more money go for a Mark IV, Framus Dragon/Cobra, Marshall Kerry King (very cool AJ tone from it), Marshall JVM, Splawn Nitro (eric's clips give me a sense of closeness to AJ's tone), Mesa F-100 + boost, Rivera KR.

As for speakers/ cabinets. V30's are a must for the huge upper midrange, but you're going to want some low end chunk. My combination of the tiny legacy cab's V30's and the G-flex's huge low end gives a great sweep of frequencies.

MESAexplorer
05-20-2008, 11:22 PM
For amps, the aforementioned Diezels and Marshall Super Bass, plus a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto. :)

The Dual recto was used for Aenema and Lateralus. Replaced it with another diezel. You can hear how much upper midrange/treble dropped on the newer album and jones's tone in comparison to his older setup.

papersun87
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
The Dual recto was used for Aenema and Lateralus. Replaced it with another diezel. You can hear how much upper midrange/treble dropped on the newer album and jones's tone in comparison to his older setup.
Ahh, I thought he was still running all four (or however many of them). Too much useless trivia floating around in my brain . . .

MESAexplorer
05-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Ahh, I thought he was still running all four (or however many of them). Too much useless trivia floating around in my brain . . .

You must delete the useless trivia for knowlege of Adams tone!

I'm such a tool for tool :(

Erock503
05-21-2008, 12:43 AM
You must delete the useless trivia for knowlege of Adams tone!

I'm such a tool for tool :(
:haha

it's ridiculous how much you know about his setup and tone man. If you're going to pick someone's brain about tone though, not a bad example to go for, lol. :cheers:

MESAexplorer
05-21-2008, 12:54 AM
:haha

it's ridiculous how much you know about his setup and tone man. If you're going to pick someone's brain about tone though, not a bad example to go for, lol. :cheers:

I love his tone, I do think he needs to add a bit more upper midrange to it though, maybe even a little more treble. Currently it has that dry sear...I dunno, I feel it could use more rawness to it...which is what I'm going for...without overdoing it of course...then I'm back where I'm currently at :(

Erock503
05-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I love his tone, I do think he needs to add a bit more upper midrange to it though, maybe even a little more treble. Currently it has that dry sear...I dunno, I feel it could use more rawness to it...which is what I'm going for...without overdoing it of course...then I'm back where I'm currently at :(
well, you know my feelings about what's going to give you a raw upper midrange to compliment what you have now. ;)

Splawn Quick Rod

tuwyci
05-21-2008, 01:09 AM
he apparantly freezes his amps for some reason christ knows. anyway i get a great jones sound with-carvin v3 and 5150 running together, and also a heavy noise gate and prs style guitar.

Generalpwnt
05-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Not to mention the Digitech Whammy.

Fama
05-21-2008, 07:11 AM
he apparantly freezes his amps for some reason christ knows. anyway i get a great jones sound with-carvin v3 and 5150 running together, and also a heavy noise gate and prs style guitar.

I think I might have read that he keeps the Superbass locked (possibly in a freezer) when he doesn't use it, because it's rare? Meh. Anyway, his live rig has been explained multiple times, god knows what he uses in the studio (my guess is everything).

MESAexplorer
05-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I think I might have read that he keeps the Superbass locked (possibly in a freezer) when he doesn't use it, because it's rare? Meh. Anyway, his live rig has been explained multiple times, god knows what he uses in the studio (my guess is everything).

Strange. There is always a superbass on ebay. They're basically the same amp as the 70's marshall Superleads. You can build a ceriatone super lead head as well.

Fama
05-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Strange. There is always a superbass on ebay. They're basically the same amp as the 70's marshall Superleads. You can build a ceriatone super lead head as well.

Hmm, maybe I remember wrong? Maybe he wants that specific amp? Meh, can't be arsed to google it.

Van Noord
05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Adam's Marshall is modded, and no other one sounds like it.

For his "weird" sounds, he uses a Gigaflex Chopper pedal. Good luck finding one of those.

He also now uses a custom made wah type pedal that allows him to slowly add in or take away any desired effect. Again, good luck.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to mimic Adams recorded tone. In the studio, all bets are off. On the last album he used a number of amps. Some blended, some not. (Deizel VH4, Marshall SuperBass, Mesa Rectifier, Rivera Tre Knucklehead, and an unnamed Peavey that his friend Joe had brought in. Possibley a JSX or 6505.)

He still uses the oversized Mesa Rectifier cabs loaded with V30's, and his bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB.

Toolfan11
05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Not to mention the Digitech Whammy.

He doesn't use a Whammy.

MAYNARD
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Adam's Marshall is modded, and no other one sounds like it.

For his "weird" sounds, he uses a Gigaflex Chopper pedal. Good luck finding one of those.

He also now uses a custom made wah type pedal that allows him to slowly add in or take away any desired effect. Again, good luck.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to mimic Adams recorded tone. In the studio, all bets are off. On the last album he used a number of amps. Some blended, some not. (Deizel VH4, Marshall SuperBass, Mesa Rectifier, Rivera Tre Knucklehead, and an unnamed Peavey that his friend Joe had brought in. Possibley a JSX or 6505.)

He still uses the oversized Mesa Rectifier cabs loaded with V30's, and his bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB.

I've got a GigFX Chopper. Not too hard to find. Ordered it from musiciansfriend, and I am pretty sure they have stuff that approximates the fx fade in thing, too.

I don't get exact, but about as close as possible on a semi normal budget.....

Ottava Magus>Dunlop Rotovibe>535q wah>Chopper>EHX Small Stone phaser>FX loop>BBE Mind Bender>Boss dd20

Marshall JVM 50 watt 2x12 for amplification

Signal is supplied by Gibson Les Paul Custom in what else? Silverburst

MESAexplorer
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't worry about effects guys. About the only thing Jones uses is a wah and talkbox.

Can any of you name a song where he uses effects. More than likely it's justin's bass playing in the higher registers with a little bit of chorus going on.

Fama
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Actually, that's easy. Two options (somewhat different).

This (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-FX-Blender-Expression-Pedal?sku=150255) for controlling a whole effects chain (or just one effect, however you like it) with an expression pedal. Don't know how well it works with distortion pedals or something, but it's an option at least.

Or this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146). It's quite a bit different, only lets you control one knob, but that could be the mix knob on a pedal, so I included it anyway.

Both available for pretty cheap on Musiciansfriend. Dunno how well they're available in Europe for example, but I imagine it'd be pretty easy to custom order a pedal like the first one - doesn't seem like a very complicated circuit.

MAYNARD
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
^^^to MESAexplorer

Prison Sex
Stinkfist
Eulogy
H
46&2
Hooker w/a Penis
Pu****
Aenema
Third Eye
The Grudge
Eon Blue Apocalypse
Schism
Parabola
Ticks and Leeches
Lateralus
Vicarious
Jambi
Wing 1 and 2
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
No Quarter

And that's not countin some of Undertow and the more instrumental stuff, of which I am sure you could add at least 5 more.

Adam Jones is not too conservative when it comes to effects.

banjo666
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
lol looks like ive set somthing off here!, cheers for the advice MESA i think im gonna get the dime wah as soon as i can as it looks like a good choice.

meanwhile you guys keep discusing! :P

Pagan_Jack
05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
When I saw Jones' rig last summer he was playing the Diezels and the Marshall. The Mesa cabs are for the Real British Celestion tone I believe, and if it is Mesa cabs I'm sure the speakers are V 30s.

DOD Graphic EQ
Boss BF-2 Black Label Fllanger (heavily modded)
Boss PSM power supplies
Gig FX Chopper
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Goodrich Volume Pedal
Snarling Dog Wah (Mold Spore)
Dunlop Heil talkbox
Dunlop bb535Q (better off with a dime wah)
Boss DD-6
Line 6 DL4
Voodoo Labs Tremolo
Boss CE5 Chorus
MXR Micro Amp
Access Virus Synth
Foxx Tone Machine
and some other weird box I never saw before

I'm a Jones fanatic and that's what I remember seeing. His tech in the lab coat had to come and help him reset all the pedals before the second half of the show. I had some pics of the board but they're on my lap top.

Wish I could help.

MAYNARD
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
What other guitars does Adam Jones use?

I know of the Silverbursts. Seems like he has 2 of those, maybe 3.

Also and SG, and a natural LP Custom

A Tele for Intension

Anything else??

MAYNARD
05-21-2008, 10:49 PM
^^^Anybody???

MESAexplorer
05-21-2008, 10:52 PM
^^^to MESAexplorer

Prison Sex
Stinkfist
Eulogy
H
46&2
Hooker w/a Penis
Pu****
Aenema
Third Eye
The Grudge
Eon Blue Apocalypse
Schism
Parabola
Ticks and Leeches
Lateralus
Vicarious
Jambi
Wing 1 and 2
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
No Quarter

And that's not countin some of Undertow and the more instrumental stuff, of which I am sure you could add at least 5 more.

Adam Jones is not too conservative when it comes to effects.

Prison Sex ---- Dry, No effects, if anything, volume swell on the bass, sounds as though there is light phasing, more or less from the mic placement, not to the point where you would need a flanger to replicate the tone, reverb which is commonly found on amps is present for the guitar soloish section...
Stinkfist ---- swell in the beginning probably used the pedal but a knob will do the job just fine, extremely light chorus, again, not noticeable unless you're going to be a clone, delay with slight phasing/flanging...you could get by with excessive reverb
Eulogy ---- volume swell...volume knob will suffice, reverb
H ---- slight chorus in the beginning, other htan that nothing
46&2 ---- again, volume swell
Hooker w/a Penis ---- I'll give you that one, the intro has some heavy filter shaping
Pu**** ------
Aenema ------ Delay controlled by some sweeping type pedal... about 3:40
Third Eye
The Grudge
Eon Blue Apocalypse
Schism ----- Delay
Parabola
Ticks and Leeches
Lateralus ---- Wah
Vicarious ----- Delay for intro riff, could be fingerpicked for same effect.
Jambi ----- Talkbox
Wing 1 and 2
The Pot
Rosetta Stoned --- talkbox
Right In Two ----- reverb or light delay, other than that, it's pure diezel cleans for effects
No Quarter

If I must I can review the others, but seriously, they guy is just wanting an AJ tone, not to spend thousands on his pedals which he uses for the small segments of his songs as accents, not something to run the whole time. Every guitarist is going to use effects that way, he's not necessarily conservative, but 95% of the time he's running a dry signal.

I will admit, I misworded my statement about him only using a talkbox and wah. For the whole sake of just getting the jist of it, that's all that's necessary. Well, the talkbox isnt necessary, wahs shape the tone in a simlar manner.

MAYNARD
05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
^^^Then I guess we shouldn't talk about his effects at all then. I'm not sayin you have to have the stuff to make it sound good, but I think effects are essential to aping Adam Jones, especially delay.

When I play songs, I like to attempt to get the effects right, and I think it's a good idea, if you have them. I'm not sayin go out and drop tons of cash on gear, but if you have effects, use them.

Also tryin to emulate others' effects, it really helps you get to know your pedals, besides just sittin there and tweakin them.

Van Noord
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I've got a GigFX Chopper. Not too hard to find. Ordered it from musiciansfriend, and I am pretty sure they have stuff that approximates the fx fade in thing, too.

I don't get exact, but about as close as possible on a semi normal budget.....

Ottava Magus>Dunlop Rotovibe>535q wah>Chopper>EHX Small Stone phaser>FX loop>BBE Mind Bender>Boss dd20

Marshall JVM 50 watt 2x12 for amplification

Signal is supplied by Gibson Les Paul Custom in what else? SilverburstSounds like you have a real nice setup there buddy. :cool:

davedoom
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
its odd though, quite a complex setup - but not much actual "tone" - its heavy, thick, but feels quite buzzy and the lead stuff is almost thin - ive seen them live and a great band - but felt the impact from his rig wasnt up to scratch to be honest

ok, ive seen Matt Bellamy using VH4's - and that was a phenomenal tone together with a nice feel and unique voicing to each guitar

i am not biased in anyway and am merely looking at it from a general tone overview

MAYNARD
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
its odd though, quite a complex setup - but not much actual "tone" - its heavy, thick, but feels quite buzzy and the lead stuff is almost thin - ive seen them live and a great band - but felt the impact from his rig wasnt up to scratch to be honest

ok, ive seen Matt Bellamy using VH4's - and that was a phenomenal tone together with a nice feel and unique voicing to each guitar

i am not biased in anyway and am merely looking at it from a general tone overview

I have seen them, and listened back, and I honestly have no idea what you are talkin about. Maybe you had bad seats, but in a band dominated by the bass and drums, I have never thought that his tone wasn't thick and wooly enough to hold it own.

toolfan88
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
somthing that is being STRONGLY overlooked is the guitar itself. he uses a gibson Silverburst. it has cool silver color that because its metalic based it has a really cool tone. i kno he has a normal les paul and an SG as well but he mainly uses the silverburst. i have seen a picture of him with 5 silverburst guitars.

MAYNARD
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
somthing that is being STRONGLY overlooked is the guitar itself. he uses a gibson Silverburst. it has cool silver color that because its metalic based it has a really cool tone. i kno he has a normal les paul and an SG as well but he mainly uses the silverburst. i have seen a picture of him with 5 silverburst guitars.

In the pic w/5 of them, there are only 2 different ones. Look pattern of the block inlay, and that is what gives it away. It's justa copy and past job.

I don't think the the makeup of the paint does much to his tone, but being a LP Custom it is a little darker sounding, when compared to say a Standard. Quite a bit of natural low end comin from my bad boy.

AJ tone emulation is good on my Standard, but it's just missin that Custom flavor.

RG_FANMAN
05-22-2008, 03:34 PM
alright, quick question first off, what does the Boss PSM do? It's in the picture by papersun87, and I haven't heard of the pedal.

Anyways, my ideal rhythm tone is a slightly crunchier version of Adam's sound, and I can get that and a whole lot more out of my Mesa DC-5 and a Recto cab. I also own a Crybaby 535Q, and it obviously can get his wah sound. I know he uses Delay and Flanger primarily when he does use effects, and he seems to like Boss Pedals alot, so the DD-3 (or 2, considering it seems they have basically the same delay times I believe), and an older Boss Flanger would be neccesary for some songs. Aside from getting some weirder effects, those three pedals plus a DC-5 would get you a sound similar to (if not exactly like his, seeing as I nailed his Aenima/Lateralus sound) Jones' rig. Of course, getting his exact sound will be a bitch and a half to get, cuz he uses a plethora of amps to record with (Marshall Super Bass, two different Diezel VH4s, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Sunn Beta Lead, Bogner Uberschall, Rivera Knucklehead/K7, and some unknown Peavey are the ones I'm aware of), but with my rig i can get damn close.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the original LP Silverburst Custom is huge in his sound. The metallic finish attributes to a darker tone (slightly mellower from what I've heard), along with the SD Jb in the bridge.

papersun87
05-22-2008, 04:08 PM
alright, quick question first off, what does the Boss PSM do? It's in the picture by papersun87, and I haven't heard of the pedal.
It's a power supply plus a master on/off switch.

davedoom
05-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I have seen them, and listened back, and I honestly have no idea what you are talkin about. Maybe you had bad seats, but in a band dominated by the bass and drums, I have never thought that his tone wasn't thick and wooly enough to hold it own.

no, front row - they were GOOD not GREAT - i like the music, i like the sound - but i lost interest half-way through - it is not "inyourface" enough and TBH, they are the most static performers ever!

Van Noord
05-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I have seen them, and listened back, and I honestly have no idea what you are talkin about. Maybe you had bad seats,+1. Bad seats cause people to think a band sounds bad live.

ameer
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Assuming it's possible to determine, what would you say is the primary ingredient in his studio Jambi rhythm tone?

papersun87
05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
A pair of $3,500 tube heads. :(

MAYNARD
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
^^Bogner Supersonic(Ubershall?sp)

TheShred201
05-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I'd assume it was probably through his Diezel's, which are $4500, not 3500 a piece.

davedoom
05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
+1. Bad seats cause people to think a band sounds bad live.

did you read my comment?
front row download 2006 - i could hear the rig+P.A

i didnt say it was bad - very nice - tight general sound - but no where near amazing

im a not a fanboy of anyone really, but i felt people (especially at that fest) like SYL were far, far better in terms of sound

that is all.

MESAexplorer
05-23-2008, 11:45 PM
no, front row - they were GOOD not GREAT - i like the music, i like the sound - but i lost interest half-way through - it is not "inyourface" enough and TBH, they are the most static performers ever!

Crazy, I nearly shat a chicken when I saw em live. Even if Banana Melt sucked.

TheShred201
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah, the Tool show I went to was AMAZING. Both very interesting, and the sound was great. The diezel's sounded phenomenal.

Van Noord
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
did you read my comment?

i didnt say it was bad - very nice - tight general sound - but no where near amazing

im a not a fanboy of anyone really, but i felt people (especially at that fest) like SYL were far, far better in terms of sound

that is all.No, I missed your comment.
SYL have an incredible sound, and are a metal band. Also, I wouldn't expect Tool to have an "in yer face" type of live sound.

jambi_mantra
05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
did you read my comment?

that is all.

Being outside may have affected it.

When I saw them at Brixton Acadamy the sound was immense.

davedoom
05-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Being outside may have affected it.

When I saw them at Brixton Acadamy the sound was immense.

no, because thats why i said SYL were good - same stage, same day, same conditions. just a bit better - thats all

ive seen P.F at Live8 - very open - one of the best sounds also!

again, it is subjective. note that.

H, Omitted
05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
PSM5's act like an fx loop, if you look at that pic he has a certain number of pedals connected to one psm-5 and a wah and some other pedals in another loop so that it doesn't take away from the tone. they also can be used as a power supply. there's a guy on youtube who uses psm-5's, he explains it.

tone issue:
for the very early opiate--marshall superbass, EQ and Delay
Undertow was when more FX were being used