Allan Holdsworth Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Allan Holdsworth Thread

Psychedelico
05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
There doesn't seem to be one... and i think he deserves one, so yeah...

He's pretty awesome. Anybody know where I can download bundles?

tomohawkjoe
05-21-2008, 01:26 AM
yes! Allan is the man. City Nights is by far my favorite AH song. The way he begins the song, man, its so awesome. His phrasing... so amazing.

ColdGin
05-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Bundles of what are you referring to ?

Eventually, you'd might like to dig a bunch of hidden gems about Allan Holdworth out of The Atavachron Archives, a page that archives the Atavachron Digest mailing list, the unique internet news resource about Allan Holdsworth at the time, and that my lifelong buddy Mike Uchima has moderated for years.

What makes the archives interesting are the accounts of the early fans who can give first hand accounts of details that have been lost in time since then.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~uchima/atav/index.html

webbtje
05-21-2008, 03:35 AM
His use of chromatics is utterly masterful.

Psychedelico
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Bundles of what are you referring to ?

Eventually, you'd might like to dig a bunch of hidden gems about Allan Holdworth out of The Atavachron Archives, a page that archives the Atavachron Digest mailing list, the unique internet news resource about Allan Holdsworth at the time, and that my lifelong buddy Mike Uchima has moderated for years.

What makes the archives interesting are the accounts of the early fans who can give first hand accounts of details that have been lost in time since then.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~uchima/atav/index.html

Bundles meaning the Soft Machine album that he played on.

ColdGin
05-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Bundles meaning the Soft Machine album that he played on.
Still want Bundles ?

tomohawkjoe
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Soft Machines are pretty rad. I still prefer his solo work, but I enjoy Soft Machines to.

Psychedelico
05-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Still want Bundles ?
yup

Axegrinder#9
05-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Allan Holdsworth with Soft Machine and Gong was some of the most seminal guitar **** that I've heard; especially if you're into the whole jazz-fusion psychedelia laced sound.

ColdGin
05-24-2008, 02:26 AM
yup

Check your mailbox.
Tell me when you're done and how the download went.
Hasta luego.

Psychedelico
06-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Check your mailbox.
Tell me when you're done and how the download went.
Hasta luego.

I've sent you a message.

ColdGin
06-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I've sent you a message.
Nothing in the mailbox.
I restarted the server. I'll leave it up until Tuesday.

Nacho Cheese!
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
His playing is so weird that he destroyed the headstock :eek:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K1Z2kdBjuIs

Free Time
06-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I think he's the only musician I've ever seen using a Steinberger

tomohawkjoe
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Man, I really enjoy I.O.U. The Things You See (When You Haven't Got Your Gun) is amazing.

srvflood
06-26-2008, 01:13 AM
I respect him but I can't really get into his stuff. It just seems so scattered, but it's still pretty good I guess.

Psychedelico
06-26-2008, 06:32 AM
I respect him but I can't really get into his stuff. It just seems so scattered, but it's still pretty good I guess.

Haha I understand what you mean. The thing is even though i found the "scatteredness" of it sorta irritating, I couldn't stop listening to it, and now I love it.

Axegrinder#9
06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
^ yep holdsworth plays around with some ridiculous intervallic leaps, and chordal subs on top of that, which make it hard to take in at first, without getting overwhelmed.

When I first started listening to Holdsworth, his music was hard to get into, but now I can't get enough of his playing sometimes. It's interesting too, 'cos the way I started with Holdsworth was with a reverse musical route. The first albums that I heard were Synthaxe masterpieces like "Sixteen Men of Tain" and "Wardenclyffe Tower" and over the last year I have heard Holdsworth rocking out on the psychedelic jazz fusion outings of Soft Machine, Gong and UK when he was in his early 20s.

What is amazing is that, he had it since those days, the essence of his playing, fluid, sometimes languid and melancholy and sometimes overflowing with spiritual intent, fiery - has always been there...

There's a wonderful interview with him and John McLaughlin (together!) on some issue of Guitar Player or one of those mags, speaks volumes about where both these giants come from.

peace,
S.

LiquidCheese
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
i saw him live last night with chad wackerman and jimmie johnson on bass. it was ridiculous.

BR00TAL
11-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Absolutely amazing. His playing is absolutely unparalleled. He spent his whole life crafting his own style, and what a brilliant style it is. To this day, his version of 'Proto Cosmos' is my favourite tune. Beautiful playing.

What throws me off sometimes is the vocals. Can anyone recommend any instrumental albums?

heavyweather77
11-29-2008, 01:19 AM
i saw him live last night with chad wackerman and jimmie johnson on bass. it was ridiculous.

Allan's trio is outrageous! "All Night Wrong" is an amazing live album.

Incidentally, someone was mentioning he uses a Steinberger.... I think it's actually a Charvel body with a custom headless neck. I can't remember for sure, I remember reading about it somewhere... or I might have heard him talk about it in a clinic.

He plays a lot like a saxophone player (I think Coltrane is his hero). His fluidity is unbelievable.

BR00TAL
08-09-2009, 06:12 AM
This guy astounds me. Anyone who hasn't listened to Sixteen Men of Tain really needs to, it's mind blowing. His playing, to me, surpasses all. I can hear Coltrane, Pass, Debussy - his playing is absolutely UNREAL. I really want to study his stuff but don't really know where to start. From what I've heard, people have tried and failed to work out what he's actually doing.

ThinkThis
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I can't believe Atavachron is OOP in the States... that sucks! It is available on import tho. Got it that way. definately one of my fav Holdsworth records

Axegrinder#9
08-14-2009, 07:09 AM
This guy astounds me. Anyone who hasn't listened to Sixteen Men of Tain really needs to, it's mind blowing. His playing, to me, surpasses all. I can hear Coltrane, Pass, Debussy - his playing is absolutely UNREAL. I really want to study his stuff but don't really know where to start. From what I've heard, people have tried and failed to work out what he's actually doing.

he's made a bunch of instructional videos - one of where he discusses the scales/note sequences he uses. It is sort of helpful. I've been trying to dissect his work for a while - but I've often been overwhelmed often.

Probably what would be of more use, is to get hold of the music, and sit with pen and paper, and sorta try getting into his way of thinking by analyzing the pieces.

ThinkThis
08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
are the videos OOP? if not... what company distributes them?

Axegrinder#9
08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
^ not sure, I think you could probably get 'em off Amazon.