Installing P90 pickup

PDA

View Full Version : Installing P90 pickup

mastication
05-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi, im changing the bridge position humbucker of my les paul for a P-90 pickup. The problem is that i dont know which side of the pickup is left or right so i cant tell how it should go in! Does anyone know which side is for the treble strings and which is for the bass strings? or does it even matter?

ill post pictures when im done modding the guitar.

Blues_King431
05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
dosen't matter really, unless the poles are staggered, usually you put it so the wires don't run under the pickup

A P90 won't fit in a humbucker rout either

:D

supergerbil
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi, im changing the bridge position humbucker of my les paul for a P-90 pickup. The problem is that i dont know which side of the pickup is left or right so i cant tell how it should go in! Does anyone know which side is for the treble strings and which is for the bass strings? or does it even matter?

ill post pictures when im done modding the guitar.

It sounds like you just went out and bought the pickup without doing ANY research. As the guy above me said P-90 rout doesn't equal humbucker rout. You probably should have got a humbucker sized P-90.

Do some research on pickups if you want to know about them

Tackleberry
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Besides a true p90 is direct mount so is another problem on top of the lack of fitting. But yea it doenst matter which way its mounted.

mastication
05-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I did my research. All I needed was a chisel and it took no more than 10 minutes to make it fit perfectly. Like i said, ill post pictures up next week.
The pickup is the seymour duncan antiquity. I mounted it and its in place, but i havent connected the wiring because i still need to get a .22 cap.

thanks anyways

Blues_King431
05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
you can wire it without the cap and put the cap in afterwards, which means you can play with your pickup now :D

rancidryan
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
i thought p-90 s were smaller than humbuckers did you add more wood with the chisel?

Tackleberry
05-22-2008, 03:18 PM
You can use the original cap it wont make a huge difference.

mastication
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
i thought p-90 s were smaller than humbuckers did you add more wood with the chisel?

The P90 is thinner than a humbucker but its a bit wider, so i had to widen the cavity just a couple centimetres on each side. I took pictures, ill put them up later on.

Its all wired now! Today im installing the bigsby which reminds me that i dont have any strings! crap:peace:

rancidryan
05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
oh okay lol my bad i look forward to pics :)