Blues soloing... help!

PDA

View Full Version : Blues soloing... help!

tatorbits
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
okay so i need some help with my soloing...

well i have fun messing around and stuff. you know, just random notes. having some fun. playing some cool licks. but whenever i got to play a solo on a 12 bar blues, i just stall. i have no clue where to start... like is there rules or guidelines to soloing to the I IV and V? I just cant play with the 12 bar blues... any help would be great!

FloydBarchetta
05-25-2008, 09:19 PM
listen to 12 bar blues. there's no rules in the blues. just feel it.

Dimebag22
05-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Um... Yeah well, 'Just feel it.' isn't really much help is it?

So you already know what a 12 bar blues is? I, IV, V and such?
Read this man:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14064537&postcount=9
It's a helpful post that I posted a while ago, and I have used on countless occasions.

When starting a 12 bar blues. Check what the I chord is. If it is an E, the song is most likely in the key of E. So you want to solo in the E pentatonic scale. I have a link to all the pentatonic/blues scales in that link that I just gave you.

Once you get that down, you can pretty much solo over any 12 bar pattern. Just move the scale to the position of the I chord.

Then to learn licks, there is a thread in here called 'Blues Licks.' Right here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793974
You can learn some pretty slick licks from that thread.
Also, just listen to your favorite blues artists to pick up licks, and just try to put your own spin on them.

You'll need to work on vibrato and bending, and that just comes with practice. So just practice your vibrato a lot and eventually you will get it down. :)

Does that make sense to you? :)

:cheers:
Kris

gopherthegreat
05-26-2008, 01:45 PM
listen to 12 bar blues. there's no rules in the blues. just feel it.
your advice, while totally bl00s, doesnt help at all

i'd help, but kris got it pretty well

imgooley
05-30-2008, 01:48 AM
To add, another way to solo is to modulate keys on the changes. So, if you are playing blues in A, play in A over the I chord, D over the IV chord and E over the V chord. Another thing to spice up your solos is to add a couple of notes. I like to add the major third over the I chord and the minor second over the IV chord (though not in the same phrasing).

slayer1516
05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Listen to the greats, and play with all your heart and soul

Blurry 505
06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
^Haha I love it when people say that. You can't just pick up a guitar and play with your heart and soul. You can, but it would most likely just sound like shiznit.

Check this site for licks/chords/key diagrams etc.
Basically anything you need really. BTW, these are great building blocks, so go through the tutorials one at a time.

http://www.12bar.de/

after you learn licks, get a feel for it, and know turnarounds etc, NOW pour your heart and soul into it. It will (hopefully) sound much better :)

zep123
06-01-2008, 01:44 AM
i had the same problem then i looked at a lesson on the cite (probably one of the ones above) and it taught me the pentatonic blues scale. learn that and if it is in the right key, you'll be fine. i tend to add some notes out of the scale for a flat/sharp sound.

ze monsta
06-01-2008, 08:03 AM
^ I think they are called passing notes.
Theory hates me though, so I'm probably wrong...

slayer1516
06-01-2008, 11:52 AM
^Haha I love it when people say that. You can't just pick up a guitar and play with your heart and soul. You can, but it would most likely just sound like shiznit.

Check this site for licks/chords/key diagrams etc.
Basically anything you need really. BTW, these are great building blocks, so go through the tutorials one at a time.

http://www.12bar.de/

after you learn licks, get a feel for it, and know turnarounds etc, NOW pour your heart and soul into it. It will (hopefully) sound much better :)

Don't be a smartass. Obviosly, theory and technique are very important. But too many people think about technique and not pure expression.

ze monsta
06-01-2008, 12:28 PM
^I don't think he was being a smartass, I think that you failed to explain your post when you posted it so it just seemed like some clichéd ****. Because, obviously playing with soul is what it's all about. :)

Oh and BTW, your sig is so ironic.

I was gonna explain it, but it makes no sense. It's just the fact that you don't care about what other people do, but you care enough to point it out, and therefore...blah blah - it got too much like that. :p:

Blurry 505
06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks Ze Monsta

I firmly believe in heart and expression, but not when you dont know what to play at all. No being a smartass for me :rolleyes:

But seriously, utilize that website. It helped me tons

GD_GC
06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I would help out here, but it looks like everyone has already got it. I agree though, feeling is important, but you can't play with feeling until you know how and what to play!

imgooley
06-01-2008, 01:55 PM
^Gotta know the rules to break them?

GD_GC
06-01-2008, 03:12 PM
^Gotta know the rules to break them?

Yeah exactly.

imgooley
06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Or you could be like John Lee Hooker, and play the one chord blues, with what is essentially the same lick just phrased differently, and make it sound better than 90% of other blues guitarists.