Fat Possum Records

PDA

View Full Version : Fat Possum Records

imgooley
05-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Probably the only label that's putting out real blues these days. They have had several blues/blues rock people on their label, including R.L. Burnside, The North Mississippi Allstars, Junior Kimbrough, and The Black Keys.

Has anyone here heard of this label, or am I the only one?

Pink Zeptallica
05-30-2008, 07:42 AM
No, but I sure don't see any blues labels around. Good to see they're here.

Tenacious_dex
05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I've heard of them. You can play a few tracks from their website from some of the different artists on their label.
I think the black keys only released Chulahoma on it though, because Junior Kimbrough was on the label. Alltheir others are on different ones.
North Mississippi Allstars are one of my favourite, as is Bob Log III.

ze monsta
05-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Bob Log III is hilarious. So mental :haha

imgooley
05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I think the black keys only released Chulahoma on it though, because Junior Kimbrough was on the label. Alltheir others are on different ones.

Actually, Thickfreakness and Rubber Factory were released under Fat Possum as well.

Beakwithteeth
05-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow I have heard of and enjoy all the artists you mentioned but not the label specifically.

I haven't heard much Black Keys though or any Junior Kimbrough...

imgooley
05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Wow I have heard of and enjoy all the artists you mentioned but not the label specifically.

I haven't heard much Black Keys though or any Junior Kimbrough...
Listen to Junior Kimbrough. One of the few artists that completely changed the way that I play.

Beakwithteeth
05-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Will do. Anything specific?

imgooley
05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
His stuff is kinda hard to find. Meet Me in the City is probably one of my favorite songs ever, and it's by him.

Beakwithteeth
05-30-2008, 08:56 PM
He's on itunes. That's probably how I will acquire some stuff one of these days. My list of stuff I need to get grows so much every day...

imgooley
05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Get You Better Run. It's a damn good album.

Igniter
05-31-2008, 01:33 PM
If you like Fat Possum, then you'll probably like some of the guys on Alive Records. The Black Keys did their first album on Alive and I really like Left Lane Cruiser and Black Diamond Heavies.

Tenacious_dex
06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Actually, Thickfreakness and Rubber Factory were released under Fat Possum as well.
Oh yeah, my mistake. I guess i'm not as huge a black keys fanboy as I thought. :p:

If you like Fat Possum, then you'll probably like some of the guys on Alive Records. The Black Keys did their first album on Alive and I really like Left Lane Cruiser and Black Diamond Heavies.
Yeah, Alive Records are awesome too. Two Gallants, Soledad Brothers, and the Turpentine Brothers are/were all on it. Three really good bands. I've not heard of Left Lane Cruiser or Black Diamond Heavies though. Recommend any particular songs?

imgooley
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
^Yeah, I'm a huge Keys fanboy.

I don't know a lot about alive records. I've been meaning to check out the Soledad Brothers.

TheDev01dOne
06-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Guy that come into work is always telling me to get Fat Possum Records. I've got some Junior and am getting more.. Got all The Black Keys and I'm in the process of getting some R.L. Burnside this very second.

It's a bit sad there aren't any really big blues labels anymore, when you think about things like Chess Records back in the day (and Fat Possum do the same aswell) they were just a huge stable of guys in it for the music, all getting along and if you look at the crediting they all payed on everyone elses stuff. Just pooling all these great like-minded people together as a huge resource for each other.

I really think something like that is what we need for the blues to get back to the huge force it used to be.. Imagine if Chess stayed blues and the Chess family still owned it.. There'd be the old guys, Dixon, Muddy, The Wolf etc etc that influenced the next generation with The rolling stones etc and then the younger guys would've had somewhere to go and just learn from the greats and keep pushing the music forward, all getting together and working off each other, eventually our generation would be in there doing the same again.

The blues crowd in general is more of a big community, artists even more so IMO. Getting a whole heap of them together would only bring great things.

I'm rambling.. I'll stop.

imgooley
06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
I totally agree with you. The world needs more labels like Fat Possum.

Hendrix_fan_14
11-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Definitely going to check all these other artists out.

ze monsta
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Check out The Soledad Brothers, who were on Alive. As somebody said. They are wicked boom ting.