Rahsaan Roland Kirk

PDA

View Full Version : Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Iluvpowerchords
05-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Occaisionally I stumble upon a jazz artist that moves my very rock oriented self.

I love people like Mingus, Monk, Coleman, Rollins, and Coltrane and I'm always looking for artists that can excite me like that.

When I find them I tend to get really excited and earlier today I was checking out magazines when I saw a picture of Rahsaan Roland Kirk lookin' stylish and playing two saxes at once.

Naturally I was intrigued so when I got home I googled him and the first youtube video that came up blew my mind. Hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqXYAcVPDD4

I've been to many Rock concerts that didn't even remotely come close to reaching that kind of energy level.

I was on the edge of my seat for the whole damn thing.

I always though Circular Breathing was for douche holes like Kenny G and Hippies who play the Didge. I didn't realize it made non stop rocking possible.

Anyway I just wanted to share this with you guys and maybe get some suggesttions as to what his best albums are.

I already plan on ordering Volunteered Slavery.

Beakwithteeth
05-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I always though Circular Breathing was for douche holes like Kenny G and Hippies who play the Didge.

:haha Kenny G can circular breathe???

aetherspear
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
^yeah but he's a douche so it doesnt count. When I first heard about Roland I thought "oh two saxes what a gimmick," and now I regret ever thinking that. Hes the man. Listen to the vocal track "Bright Moments" for some inspiration.

Iluvpowerchords
05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
:haha

I just read up on him and found out he was blind too!

I love this man.

I'll check out "Bright Moments"

Joey-Tribiani
06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
yeah Roland Kirk is one of the best in my opinion!
im now listening to his album "talking with spirits" where he plays the Flute!its ****ing incredible, that guys from another world.