i need help with a project im doing on SRV/BLues

PDA

View Full Version : i need help with a project im doing on SRV/BLues

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:06 PM
For my ap us history class, i have to choose anyone who has been influential in anyway to american history.. so i decided to choose SRV because hes my favorite guitarist. I have one problem.. my teacher wants me to emphasize the importance of blues to american history and the only thing i can think of is times during the 60s with segregation. can anyone help me out with some other ways it was influential? thanks

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Tell me what you know about Blues and I'll tell you what I know.
Post as much as you know without looking anything up, and I'll help you.

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:12 PM
well basically this is what i came up with. blues was important during the 60's because the black people started and it influenced the white community and they started to like it and started playing blues too.for example clapton, beatles, etc. basically it helped end segregation by bringing the black and white people together. thats all i can think of lol

H(i)SS
05-31-2008, 03:17 PM
well, clapton and the beatles aren't american, so...

and you could've chosen anyone in American history, but you chose a guitarist who was big 20 yrs ago? think it through, man...

blue_strat
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Blues developed into rock and roll, which has been America's main cultural export for the past 50 years :p:

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:21 PM
well obviously i could have done any1 in american history, but i love blues and it actualyl makes this project fun and half of my project is playing pride and joy in front of the class.

Darth_Queso
05-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Blues was big in the early 1900s. Think about people like Robert Johnson and the really old school delta bluesmen. You could talk about how it melded with rag time and became jazz, the quintessential American art form.

But you may want to do a different guitarist or musician. If you were to pick Hendrix, you could go off on a tangent about Woodstock and the counterculture or something. Bob Dylan would be really easy.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Blues and Jazz formed a cultural movement from the early days and is still going strong. Its gives a voice to the downtrodden.

For your report, try citing JB Lenoir, Bob Dylan, Blind Willie Johnson, Jimi, Miles Davis, and Hard Bop. Good references are the Scorsese blues documentaries and the Ken Burns Jazz documentaries.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I certainly don't want to write anything for you, but I don't mind having a go at helping you a bit. Firstly, I think your project is flawed, as SRV isn't a great american figure, sure he was a great guitarist and singer, but it would be better to do someone like Hendrix, purely because you will get a better grade. Now onto blues...

Blues has been an outlet and a release for african americans since the 1800s, Field Hollers (some say it originated on Dockery Plantation) created blues, and you need to learn about how that started, a bit about the slave trade and about the plantations, and places they were situated.

African culture is deeply routed in music, dance and performance. You need to know where the blues came from to appreciate it. You need to explore the roots of it, people like Charley Patton and Blind Lemon Jefferson were the first blues superstars and inspired many of the people that made SRV play, I suggest you write about this to give your project some depth and insight. after all, blues wasn't made by some white kid with funny teeth from Texas.

It is important also, to have an understanding of music from the era you are talking about. In the 60's, blues was pretty much gone. It was the 30s, 40s and 50s when the recordings had been made, and it was only when the blues revival came about that this changed. Sure there was still blues music but it wasn't so well documented as what was popular had become RnB and Soul. The race recordings where changing, along with peoples views.

I suggest if you really wanna get some knowledge (far more than I can write in here) you pick up The Land Where The Blues Began by Alan Lomax.

I'll write a bit more soon,

Gus

MONSTA EDIT: I don't think blues is a good topic actually, because I've just kinda got into focus and realised...hell, there is so much to tell this guy...

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:26 PM
well i chose SRV because he basically made blues popular again during the 80s when it was all glam rock and metal and etc... he brought it back

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
i forgot to explain what i had to but.. i have to make a memorial for anyone i choose and make it on a big poster and put symbolic things .. for example i could have the memorial park shaped in a guitar for obvious reasons. but its not supposed to a paper or essay, and it doesnt have to go in much depth but i have to explain thoroughly of what im trying to say.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey Gus, is that Lomax book any good?

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 03:32 PM
He didn't bring back blues, I'm sorry.
Blues has never gone away like any music, just gone underground. You are attempting to make him look like a centre piece of an American History Museum, which in a way is a good thing for the project, but isn't really going to hold up because the rest of your class will just go:

Stephen Raymond Who? :confused:

MONSTA EDIT:
Yeah Goolz it's really good. I haven't finished it, despite having been reading it since just after New year :haha But that's coz I always leave it in my school bag so it doesn't get much attention, but when I get into it, I can quite happily read 50, or 60 pages at a time. Then again, I am a real neek... :p:

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
im not trying to pick someone who is going to be easy like martin luther king or any other obvious figure who was influential to american history. i want to choose someone that no one knows which is why i want to do SRV and maybe hendrix. the problem is that i wanted to do SRV because i want to play a song as part of my project because it will be fun and not as boring and keep the class entertained. My style is more SRV than hendrix which is why i chose SRV over hendrix. i mean i can literally bull**** my way .. my teacher doesnt care as long as it makes sense and i can support it.

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Well if you can bull**** it then why are you asking for help?

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
well because i still need some good facts to support it and if i can not bs it then thats even better. im just trying to get all the information i can and put it all together

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, your task is make a presentation about an influential american figure, or something along those lines.

I think it makes no sense, and you are making it a lot harder for yourself by using someone that isn't particularly influential. You said "influential in any way" sure, SRV has made loadsa people pick up guitar, wear silly hats and take drugs and what not, but can you say he is a truly influential american figure. It sounds strange coming from someone who isn't american I suppose...

But seriously it will be easier for you and on everyone else (unless your presentation is really interesting, accessible and fun) to just do someone like Michael Jordan. For realz.

MONSTA EDIT:
You say you want information. To be honest I have found that forums are not the best way to get info. Use a book, reliable websites etc. It will be far easier, and quicker, and most of all, it will be your own.

You haven't even told us what you want explaining or told to you in any detail. :rolleyes:

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:52 PM
well my presentation is going to be cool. i got a friend who is basically a professional spray paint artist and is going to help me draw and paint the poster. and then playing for the class will entertain them.

kianian
05-31-2008, 03:54 PM
ok what i did say what i want told to me which was how blues was influential to american history, mainly during the 50's and above. i was going to talk about that for a couple minutes then go on to my poster and explain how srv made blues popular again during the 80s when blues went underground.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
And that's what you're gonna do? I'm glad you're settled.

Now would anyone like to help me with my coursework on Development In South America, I need you to write about 2 pages of A4 (detailed) of course, about Unemployment rates and if possible use several graphs. Make sure they fit onto A3.

:rolleyes: This thing is a joke...****ing coursework...

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 03:58 PM
ok what i did say what i want told to me which was how blues was influential to american history, mainly during the 50's and above. i was going to talk about that for a couple minutes then go on to my poster and explain how srv made blues popular again during the 80s when blues went underground.
Care to make sense?
Seriously, I'm 13 and can do this properly...I don't see why you can't make an effort for your posts to be readable. :confused:

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
sure, SRV has made loadsa people where silly hats

TS, make sure you include this. It is SRV's biggest contribution to American culture IMO.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 04:11 PM
:haha :haha :haha

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZWWjE5lxvE_iSM:http://bp0.blogger.com/_VAxIG6QxpKc/RwaEUkF6FoI/AAAAAAAAAAs/q7XA7r4vDng/s400/srv%2Blunch.jpg
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qBlRIPlMSeRIkM:http://www.texas-flood.com/index2_srv_montreux82.jpg
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:fC-tV5hPUaAZlM:http://wserver.arc.losrios.edu/~walkerr/Flood/SRV_live.gif

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:IFw2r4WPSfjbhM:http://kohm.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/395px-srv2.jpg
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:0JCFIkgLEyoPkM:http://www.alanmesser.com/SRV_PrideJoy%25A989Messer.GIF

And ponchos...don't forget the ponchos. :p:

MONSTA EDIT: Just noticed my epic spelling mistake, above... :o

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah. But seriously SRV can wear the weirdest crap ever and he always pulls it off. If he walked into my room right now wearing a leisure suit I wouldn't even call him on it.

I would, however, **** my pants.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
:haha :haha :haha

imgooley
05-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Amos is seeing ghosts.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Random fact, you two have names of prophets in Christianity and Judaism...

Just thought I'd put that out there... :(

imgooley
05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Isaiah is an epic name.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm calling my son Jedi. He will own everybody in his class.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm calling my son Jedi. He will own everybody in his class.
And then he will commit suicide.

yeah.

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 04:44 PM
There's a prophet named Goolz??? :confused:

:p:

imgooley
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
There's a prophet named Goolz??? :confused:

:p:
Ya me.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM

yeah.
He would be Jedi Knight... :p:

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 04:46 PM

yeah.

Yeah but he would use the force.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Name him something like Lando, or Obie Wan, or Yoda. I would not name my kid Yoda.

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 04:52 PM
My bassist played a soccer team that had a kid named Yoda on it, and it was his real name. :haha

There was also a kid that they called Beowulf, but that was a nickname.

ze monsta
05-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Rofl.

imgooley
05-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I would rather be Grendle that Beowulf. Or Loki. Even better, Thor. Thor would be an awesome name.

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 05:05 PM
If I had a name like that I would need a title too though. Like Thor the Conquerer or Beowulf Bringer of Destruction.

slayer1516
05-31-2008, 07:02 PM
im not trying to pick someone who is going to be easy like martin luther king or any other obvious figure who was influential to american history. i want to choose someone that no one knows which is why i want to do SRV and maybe hendrix. the problem is that i wanted to do SRV because i want to play a song as part of my project because it will be fun and not as boring and keep the class entertained. My style is more SRV than hendrix which is why i chose SRV over hendrix. i mean i can literally bull**** my way .. my teacher doesnt care as long as it makes sense and i can support it.

Vaughan was heavily influenced by Hendrix, and Hendrix was heavily influenced bu Muddy Waters, etc. Realize that as a student of SRV you are a student of Henrix and Muddy as well.

For your project, try examining the irony that a music born out of slavery and oppresion led to rock n' roll, which is often considered a very white form of music.

Beakwithteeth
05-31-2008, 07:06 PM
^ How is rock n' roll a white type of music? :confused:

ze monsta
06-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh the irony. Just leave this thread to die.
TS has decided what he wants to do, and hasn't done enough of his own research/know enough about where blues came from (ie. West african slaves to the cotton fields, blah blah blah).

slayer1516
06-01-2008, 11:57 AM
^ How is rock n' roll a white type of music? :confused:

Its a modern day stereotype that rock and metal are very whiteboy forms of music.