A Love Supreme

PDA

View Full Version : A Love Supreme

the_axis
06-01-2008, 05:31 PM
so i bought the A Love Supreme album the other day and i'm not sure if it's the live version or not. it doens't say it is, but from what i can tell it's different.

was the studio version around 50 minutes? and did it have an 8 minute bass solo in the middle? Also, Impressions is the number two track. How different is this version from the original?

imgooley
06-01-2008, 05:39 PM
A Love Supreme doesn't have Impressions in the middle of it. The one that I bout has three tracks, the first two being the first two movements and the last one being the last 2 movements. The studio version is about 32 minutes long.

There should be a AOTM buried in here that Jimmy did, you can look at that if you want.

the_axis
06-01-2008, 05:46 PM
okay, thanks. would you know how different the two versions are? because mine has about at least 20 minutes of random noise. friggen amazing awesome noise, but still random noise

theneildeal
06-01-2008, 05:47 PM
i did it. not jimmy

imgooley
06-01-2008, 05:53 PM
^My apologies, Neil.

And I haven't heard the version of which you speak.

theneildeal
06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
i think that there are quite a few editions. original, live, deluxe, special deluxe, special edition, reissue etc

Nick_
06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
By bought do you mean "acquired" as in downloaded?

Because I can't see there being that much confusion ... look up the original album cover - does it match?

The tracks (movements, really, A Love Supreme is a complete piece) of the original are

I Acknowledgment
II Resolution
III Pursuance
IV Psalm

and should run about 32 minutes. There are many deluxe editions with alternate takes included, however. There certainly is a long bass solo at the end of acknowledgment / beginning of resolution.

imgooley
06-01-2008, 07:48 PM
^That's the one that I have, the original.

Jimmy94
06-01-2008, 10:17 PM
The first time I bought a love supreme I didnt' realize it was the live version... it didn't say at all on the cd cover. You had to look through the booklet and read it in one place.

The live version has this cover
http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/images/amg_covers/55/drh400/h408/h40873a1lsg.jpg

imgooley
06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e6/John_Coltrane-A_Love_Supreme.jpg/200px-John_Coltrane-A_Love_Supreme.jpg

Mine has this cover.

Jimmy94
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah, that's the studio cover. The deluxe version of that has both the studio and live in antibes france recording. he only played the love supreme suite live once.

the_axis
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
yep, i have Jimmy94's. and i didn't download it.

How different are they exactly? because if they're way different i might just get both

Jimmy94
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
They are very different. The live version is much longer and much more experimental. I highly recommend getting both, they're both amazing in their own ways.

imgooley
06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Seriously, though, I think I like A Love Supreme better than Kind of Blue.

Nick_
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
They're not really comparable to me. They are each masterworks at what they try to accomplish.

imgooley
06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I get what you mean, but within the context of early modal jazz is what I was referring to.

Nick_
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I feel like each album far better suits its bandleader: I find that Coltrane sounds out of place on Kind of Blue (except on Blue in Green - he OWNS that song for me). The way I see it, Miles' freeing of the music was a huge improvement but Coltrane was, at the time of KoB, already pushing too hard against the restrictions of Miles' rhythm section. The freedom and power of aLS is breathtaking, but there's no way Coltrane could have played those ideas on So What, whereas Miles' ideas fit the song perfectly.

Anyway they both get frequent play (iTunes playcount puts KoB at 62 and aLS at 74 times) but which I choose is largely dependent on my mood.

imgooley
06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
True, true.

Modal jazz is a different beast than I am used to. Maybe I can become more accustomed to the nuances of the arrangements and compositions after I understand music a bit better.

Jimmy94
06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I prefer a love supreme, but that's just because I prefer Coltrane to Davis generally.

laurel333
06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
A Love Supreme was released after John got off heroin - so in many ways its a free album, which you can certainly hear in the music.

Jimmy94
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
It's a beautiful praise to God. It's a piece that expresses pure joy and gratitude, music about being in the dark and finding light. It's music that exists because there are no comparable words to describe the feelings and emotions it stirs.

Dear Listener:
ALL PRAISE BE TO GOD TO WHOM ALL PRAISE IS DUE.
Let us pursue Him in the righteous path. Yes it is true; "seek and ye shall find". Only through Him can we know the most wondrous bequethal.
During the year 1957, I experienced, by the grace of God, a spiritual awakening which was to lead me to a richer, fuller, more productive life. At that time, in gratitude, I humbly asked to be given the means and privilege to make others happy through music. I feel this has been granted through His grace. ALL PRAISE TO GOD.
As time and events moved on, a period of irresolution did prevail. I entered into a phase which was contradictory to the pledge and away from the esteemed path; but thankfully, now and again through the unerring and merciful hand of God, I do perceive and have been duly reinformed of his Omnipotence, and of our need for and dependence on Him. At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT... IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -A LOVE SUPREME-.
This album is a humble offering to Him. An attempt to say "THANK YOU GOD" through our work, even as we do in our hearts and with our tongues. May He help and strengthen all men in every good endeavor.
May we never forget that in the sunshine of our lives, through the storm and after the rain - it is all with God - in all ways and forever.
ALL PRAISE TO GOD.
With love to all, I thank you,
John Coltrane

imgooley
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
^Probably one of the best liner note in any album I have.