Easy blues songs

PDA

View Full Version : Easy blues songs

npaoun
06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I've been getting into the blues, and I was just wondering what are some relatively easy songs that I could try playing other than your basic 12 bar and improving over it? Thanks.

chillrock
06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
"Bring It On Home"

i know that Led Zeppelin did this and i think its a cover but i dont know who did the original. i think Zep's version is great, though, and pretty easy.

Captain Howdy
06-03-2008, 01:57 PM
i'd be interested in some of these too, maybe a few advanced ones though? i suck, but i do like a challenge :D

chillrock
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
it depends on what kind of blues you want to play, e.g. Gary Moore style or John Lee Hooker style.

Captain Howdy
06-03-2008, 02:11 PM
is there some kind of middle point? but maybe leaning slighty more gary mooreish. slightly...

and what would be some nice jazz songs to get started on?

ze monsta
06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Stormy Monday, Dirty Pool, Double Trouble etc etc.

npaoun
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I really like srv and clapton so is there anything that is roughly in the area of that sound that is easy?

ze monsta
06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Dirty Pool, Lenny, Tin Pan Alley, Testify, Mary Had a Little Lamb, Layla, Sweet Home Chicago, Key To The Highway, Stormy Monday.

I don't know if you mean you don't want a song that is straight 12 bar kinda thing like Pride and Joy or Love Struck Baby, but you want something slower or w/e.

If you could give an example of a song, I could go pretty far on it. :)

theneildeal
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
a good bluesy song to start with is voodoo child by hendrix. Its a great start, and its one of those songs that sounds A LOT harder than it actually is.

Also, try some led zep songs because they're easy enough. SRV's Lenny is good and easy to play, i should know because i covered it! Check out some John Mayer as well, because his blues songs are easy. If you want a good clapton song, try Im Tore Down. Its easy to play, and there's lots of room for improv for when you feel confident enough

Hope it helps!

Neil

ze monsta
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I love I'm Tore Down, great lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRAF_ph3TQ

imgooley
06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
"Bring It On Home"

That would be Sonny Boy Williamson II, also known as Rice Miller.

slayer1516
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
is there some kind of middle point? but maybe leaning slighty more gary mooreish. slightly...

and what would be some nice jazz songs to get started on?

You want to get started on jazz? Take lessons and work hard for years and years

npaoun
06-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys ill give em a try

theneildeal
06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
you're welcome

jamesdjharrod
06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Also have a listen to some stuff by Free and Backstreet Crawler. The rhythm parts aren't too hard, and they're great to jam along to.

SamCappo
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Dude if you want to extend your whole Blues playing.
Learn 'Lenny' by Stevie Ray Vaughan.
I cant agree with some of the people in this thread and say its easy, but there are so many things to learn and it holds a perfect mixture of Rhythm chording and lead riffs.
So yeah..Lenny.

aetherspear
06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
You want to get started on jazz? Take lessons and work hard for years and years
no man, you can learn basic jazz in a day, no need to intimidate more people away from it. People make jazz seem absolutely impossible to learn, but its really not.

Thefallofman
06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I really like srv and clapton so is there anything that is roughly in the area of that sound that is easy?
If you're looking for something acoustic, try Hey Hey by Big Bill Broonzy. You probably know Clapton's cover of it. It's pretty easy/repetitive when you get the feel for it, but really fun and it sounds great.

ze monsta suggested Sweet Home Chicago, that's a fun little standard too. Maybe it's just stuck in my head because I'm taking a trip to Chicago tomorrow for the last day of the Blues Festival. :D

imgooley
06-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Another fun one to play is In My Time of Dying. Great song to learn slide guitar.

Thefallofman
06-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I just learned Rollin' and Tumblin'. Really easy and it's insanely fun.