Blues player block

PDA

View Full Version : Blues player block

manmanman133
06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey UG, I've been playing for about a year now (only about 7 months or so seriously) and have recently begun playing blues leads. Unfortunately, everything is starting to sound the same when I play, and I need some tips, or fantastic licks that can open up new techniques. I'm trying to use other modes, but I'm having trouble fitting them into a bluesy-sounding solo. Also, I want to learn how to use techniques like "scraping" etc I think you would call it for a bluesier sound, as seen in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UuPXCrXKAeY

Any help is greatly appreciated.

blue_strat
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
If you've just been using the minor pentatonic, branch out into Mixolydian and Dorian. Also, use boxes that you aren't familiar with, or don't think about the boxes at all and play by ear.

EdawMail
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
less is more
dont try and play too many notes at once.

hold notes, bend notes, take your time, feel it.

imgooley
06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Along with the less is more philosophy, try playing against different kinds of rhythms, not just shuffles. It will help you come up with a bunch of different phrases that you wouldn't have thought of before.

Also, you can say alot with the same notes. If a lick feels right, play it a couple of times. Use different phrasing on the same notes.

Learn to play slide guitar. That will help you a lot with ear training and breaking out of the basic pentatonic shapes. Learn to play in various open tunings.

Try getting Warren Haynes' Hotlicks videos. You can find the torrent online, and they are exceptional training videos.