The Best Solid State Combo Amp?

PDA

View Full Version : The Best Solid State Combo Amp?

rolas92
06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
what is the best solid state combo amp?

that i can get?
my budget is 500 dollars
i play a little bit of all (metal,jazz,classic rock, punk rock) etc

whatadrag
06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I know you hate to hear it but with $500 why get a solid state?

IbanezPsycho
06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Randall....

Guitarfreak777
06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I know you hate to hear it but with $500 why get a solid state?

why...not?

rolas92
06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
is better a tube amp with pedals?

imgooley
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Vox AD50VT.

Demonikk
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Randall or Line 6 Vetta series

john{ND}{NGD}
06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
If you're lucky you can find a nice tube combo on ebay instead of getting a new solid state.......won't get a whole lot but maybe you can find a Peavey Valveking for about $400

pwrmax
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Vox

pwrmax
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
If you're lucky you can find a nice tube combo on ebay instead of getting a new solid state.......won't get a whole lot but maybe you can find a Peavey Valveking for about $400

I don't know about that, tube amps on ebay are usually a big :no: mostly because of a high chance of shipping damage.

thankyougermany
06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Fender Blues Jr.

Oh wait that's tube..... sigh

MortifiedLizard
06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Randall or Line 6 Vetta series
Show me where I can find a Vetta for $500. Tsk tsk.

Something tells me someone read the thread title but not the OP.

IbanezPsycho
06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Show me where I can find a Vetta for $500. Tsk tsk.

Something tells me someone read the thread title but not the OP.

First one i pulled up... $599.99 figured that is close enough give me more time and im sure i could find one going for $500 or hell you could probably talk them down to $500 lol ;)

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=663758

ExclamationMark
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Love Marshall MG Series ( cheaper option )..Line 6 is great as well..

Broken-pick
06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I hope you were trying to be sarcastic

Twisted Magnum
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM

:eek: :no: :puke: :headbang:

mcrfobtai
06-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Used Peavey Classic 30.
Unbelievable. You play a Gibby LP Standard through an MG. I'll bet Eric Johnson is preparing to jump right now...

philipp122
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Damn, what's up with all the trash talk of MGs in the last few years? It's blown out of ****ing proportion. I have an MG30DFX and I love it. The tone is fine; most people who trash-talk them have never played one, and only talk bad about them because they heard others talk bad about them, and in the last few years it's spread like a disease and now everyone talks bad about them.

About 5% of MGs are lemons. In this ****ed up society, that's enough to get the entire world to hate them because so many noobs out there want to be cool and trash-talk MGs. I have a suggestion: if anyone who talks BAD about MGs, tell them to shut the **** up and go play one before they trash-talk them.

I don't know much about Line 6 Spiders, but I can tel you this about MGs: The tone is fine. In fact, I love it. As for people calling them unreliable, they had to have gotten lemons because I could take mine to hell and play gospel music with it and come back and it would still be like new. Not loud enough? Kiss my dick. It's a ****ing 30 watt amp. I can't turn it up past 5 in my bedroom. A lot of the negative things you hear about them are all made up and have been spread around like a rumor. The amps are fine. They're pretty average overall, the tone is better than most solid-state amps in the price range, the reliability on most of them is EXCELLENT, and they are put together well and are plenty loud for a 30 watt.

ICANSEEYOU7687
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Marshall Mg's are of much lower quality then some of the other solid states you kinda find. MG's use cheap parts, and are contructed out of some weak wood... If your a beginner I could understand someone getting a smaller MG for a practice amp, but other then that I can't really justify it.

Vox and Randall make some good solid states. The marshall AVT series isn't that bad from what i've heard although I probably would still get a vox. They hold up very well, and the preamp tube for the gain channel does help a bit, not overly significant.

As for the tube amp vs solid state amp, typically a tube is better, but not in all cases. Solid states gain and tone will be pretty consistent regardless of volume, so something that can be played a very low volumes might sound better on a Solid state. And I know there are some pretty hardcore uber metal bands that use solid states for the amount of gain that you can get.

But unless thats all you play, I don't see why a tube amp isn't an option. B-52, peavey valveking, all in that price range. The tone is a lot better and more versatile in my opinion. I can play everything from blue to metal with my b-52. Granted i do own an attenuator to help when I play at lower volumes. And if your interested in gigging in the future (or hell even now maybe?) a tube amp will also work well, Tubes usually pump out about 50% more volume then solid states.

So a 40 watt tube amp can sound as loud as a 60 watt and sometimes louder depending on the amp.

but it all really depends on the sound you want.

Ekofu
06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Anything but Behringer. :no:

philipp122
06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Marshall Mg's are of much lower quality then some of the other solid states you kinda find. MG's use cheap parts, and are contructed out of some weak wood... If your a beginner I could understand someone getting a smaller MG for a practice amp, but other then that I can't really justify it.

That's a good arguement, and I agree. The MGs do have sidewalls and plastic pieces on them. But the knobs, the speaker, and the overall amp is put together well and doesn't break easily.

311ZOSOVHJH
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I played thru a MG 50 wattr and was not that impressed. Actually, my Fender Frontman sounds better and that is saying a lot. However, some people prefer Solid State so there is nothing wrong with that. If i were the TS I would be looking at possibly a hybrid in that price range and certainly the Randall and Vox options are good choices too.

;

jj1565
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
^^i cant even tell you how bad my mg50 speaker was.

come on.

searched marshall amp/problem, here are 3....
note these are not "**** tone" threads.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865309&highlight=marshall%2C+problem

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863721&highlight=marshall%2C+problem

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850989&highlight=marshall%2C+problem

311ZOSOVHJH
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
^JJ for the win again +200

i wasn't going to go there 'cause i stated several weeks ago that i was going to back off the MG comments but when i was down in mexico at an all inclusive place we did the theatre thing just about every night as it was the thing to do and the guitarist in the band that played used an MG250 and his tone sounded like....like....like....nothing was there, like he wasn't even playing a guitar. hard to explain. granted he wasn't doing death metal but this amp is not geared for good clean tone (or distorted). Distorted is worse.

after one of the shows i walked up there and asked about his amp like i was super curious and believe it or not he said: 'the tone is crushing'.

i about died laughing but didn't want to make fun of him so i complimented him etc. Too bad he didn't check here first. lol

;

philipp122
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
^^i cant even tell you how bad my mg50 speaker was.

come on.

searched marshall amp/problem, here are 3....
note these are not "**** tone" threads.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865309&highlight=marshall%2C+problem

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863721&highlight=marshall%2C+problem

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850989&highlight=marshall%2C+problem

Mine has no feedback or buzzing whatsoever, and I've never had any problems with strange noises or crackling. Lemons are everywhere, for all products. MGs are NOT bad amps.

mogar
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Undoubtedly, the best solid state amps IMO are:

line6 vetta series: I or II, both are good but II is a bit better. Nothing like mixing 2 amps together for some totally unique sound. Micheal Romeo used to use these.

Roland JC120: Kinda tough to find, but have amazing clean and take pedals fantastically. James Hetfield uses these for his clean sound.

Ampeg VH140 & SS140: Only available used, but have pretty good clean channel w/ built in chorus. Also, the Dist channel on this amp is godly. A lot of the death metal bands in the '90s used these. Off the top of my head is Suffocation. The Dist can also be very smooth as well as harsh, depending on how you EQ it.

Bandrew
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Mine has no feedback or buzzing whatsoever, and I've never had any problems with strange noises or crackling. Lemons are everywhere, for all products. MGs are NOT bad amps.

No they aren't completely horrible, but you can get a better amp for the price.

Sadbutrue62
06-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey those Marshalls aren't the worst ever. But whatever you do dont get the amp in my sig. I swear it will be like worst 125$ youll ever spend. this was my first amp too. But there are lots of these at pawn shops and there just terrible. Nothing has more buzz either. So just dont buy one of these

which ones pink
06-05-2008, 03:50 AM

Lemme tell you little story. Back when I was a n00b looking for my intermediate setup (upgrading from a Behringer starter pack), I tried the MG, and hated how muddy it was, and how I could not get a usable sound out of it. Well you know what I bought after that? A Line 6 Spider II. THAT'S how bad the MG series is.

Obviously, the little 15 watters are not bad practice amps, but as soon as you get into the higher wattage ones, there are so many more better options than an MG.

imgooley
06-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Lemme tell you little story. Back when I was a n00b looking for my intermediate setup (upgrading from a Behringer starter pack), I tried the MG, and hated how muddy it was, and how I could not get a usable sound out of it. Well you know what I bought after that? A Line 6 Spider II. THAT'S how bad the MG series is.

That's hilarious.

Hell, I think the Fender SP10 that came with my starter guitar sounded better than the MG.

jamesnig
06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I reckon for a solid state amp the Roland Cube's are pretty reliable.

PanHead
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
MGs sounds ok but overpriced. There's lot better SS amps for lower prices compared to MGs.

Also tubes are not always the answer as there are some excellent SS amps. I have a blues jr combo and a rumble 25 combo (yea, a bass amp), guess which I like to play with a lot.

Hint: it's not the BJr. :)

Highwaytohell
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
for 500 you could get a Peavey Classic 30

It can do any of the genres you listed (YES MINE CAN DO METAL, got them nice dark JJEL84s and i'm installing a V30 soon) but it does unbelievable for classic rock and punk. Jazz might be tough at higher volumes becuase it breaks up, but just roll down the volume

Test one of these, you will not regret it.

Blompcube
06-05-2008, 09:03 AM
correction: the MG10CD, for a little 50 beginner amp, is not bad. For the price, its actually ok. But the MG100DFX is basically the same pre-amp circuit with the same low-quality components, just with sub-standard digital FX, a more powerful power-amp stage which is of equally low quality, and a bigger speaker/cabinet, for A LOT more money. The tone is no better than that little beginner amp.

Back to the MG10CD. Yeah, its a beginner/practice amp.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_mg10cd_gitarrencombo.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5.htm

Oh look. Combine that with any cheap distortion/overdrive and you'll get the same functionality as the MG, except a much better tone, for just a little bit more money. Most people would probably buy a distortion pedal for their MG at some point anyway, realising how bad the distortion is.

Anyway, Speaking of solid state combos, I heard a Peavey Special 130 yesterday at gigging volumes, and it was nice and tight sounding. One of the best solid states i've heard. I don't know much about them though. In fact i'm not even sure if its solid state...

Fama
06-05-2008, 09:23 AM
It's somewhat weird that almost all of the good SS amps are little known. Usually older amps, too. Of course there are some exceptions.

scott58
06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Peavey transtube.

mogar
06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Ampeg VH-140C

Here's some clips.
http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=amp&value=Ampeg%20VH140-C

Def
06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
try and find a second hand jazz chorus. then a nice distorsion pedal for your metal sounds. should make a good combo

xMikeyxMetalx
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Damn, what's up with all the trash talk of MGs in the last few years? It's blown out of ****ing proportion. I have an MG30DFX and I love it. The tone is fine; most people who trash-talk them have never played one, and only talk bad about them because they heard others talk bad about them, and in the last few years it's spread like a disease and now everyone talks bad about them.

About 5% of MGs are lemons. In this ****ed up society, that's enough to get the entire world to hate them because so many noobs out there want to be cool and trash-talk MGs. I have a suggestion: if anyone who talks BAD about MGs, tell them to shut the **** up and go play one before they trash-talk them.

I don't know much about Line 6 Spiders, but I can tel you this about MGs: The tone is fine. In fact, I love it. As for people calling them unreliable, they had to have gotten lemons because I could take mine to hell and play gospel music with it and come back and it would still be like new. Not loud enough? Kiss my dick. It's a ****ing 30 watt amp. I can't turn it up past 5 in my bedroom. A lot of the negative things you hear about them are all made up and have been spread around like a rumor. The amps are fine. They're pretty average overall, the tone is better than most solid-state amps in the price range, the reliability on most of them is EXCELLENT, and they are put together well and are plenty loud for a 30 watt.

I've played one for at least a few hours practicing with multiple bands (my 5150 wasn't working).
I thought it sounded like bees flying around in a tin can.
You're entitled to your own opinion as tone is subjective.
but I'm pretty sure anyone who has played a decent tube amp would say the MG's sound way worse.
Most people don't reccomend them because most people don't like them.
They are just bad deals.
But you like your amp and thats all that matters.

Blompcube
06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
But you like your amp and thats all that matters.
unless you're performing. then it matters what the audience thinks. even if they are drunk.

The red Strat.
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
They ARE for ****s sake ! it's not because you have one that it makes them good all of a sudden. you got a crappy amp when you have bought a better one for the same money, get over it.

Korzack
06-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Can we get back to helping this guy with an amp and not flaming amps like its' a Barbecue in Texas... I was wondering where the scent of Bacon was coming from :p:
Ahm... I'd go with a Laney or Randall. The Marshall's okay, but like with anything made in the far east, you do get some duff ones. Had mine for 2 year and its; been working like a charm every damn day. Line 6 Spider is the other one that gets torched more often than Fire-wood, and again, thats' okay. They threw a few too many options on there, but apart from that its' tolerable. I'd honestly get down and play as many as you can - my suggestion would be look at Laney, Randall and Peavey, as these are good quality bits of kit, and with the excpetion of the Peavey, I don't think they farm out the making of these to China and the like, so the possibility of duff ones is rarer, and Peaveys are just well put together - Mine's been working 5 year now, flawless. More than I can say for the guitar that came with it, but yeah :p:

brianthemayan
06-05-2008, 01:53 PM

My guess... and it's only a guess.... I *could* be wrong.... but you have been playing for less than 5 years on your instrument/equipment plus or minus a few years.... and have owned/played through very few amps..... and probably even less through quality tube amps....

and thats OK. I thought my Crate Solid state amp sounded awesome when I first got it when I started out playing.... It's been 16 years since that time and I am ashamed that I ever thought any sound out of that piece of garbage was "good" in any way.

and... I have played through the MG series at guitar stores. Much like most beginner amps its not "bad" per sey (not nearly as bad as it's portrayed)..... but for the price of a beginner amp there are SOOOO many that have much better tone........ ie the Vox valvetronix, or the Roland Cubes. AND YES! I do consider all of these amps as "beginner" amps. As time goes on most players will find their "niche" and get a quality TUBE amp for their style.... OR if they are playing strictly jazz/metal a very high end/good quality solid state amp.... again, this is a broad generalization, but I AM speaking from YEARS of experience.

To address the OP, for 500 bones you could get a decent tube amp.... depending on the styles you are looking for... don't limit yourself to just solid state amps. My best recommendation is to go to your local music store/stores and spend A LOT of time playing through the amps which are in your price range and let YOUR ears determine what makes the most sense for you at this time...... keep in mind your preferences WILL probably change over the years..... but do what you think is right for you..... and if I can add my 2 cents..... tubes are *usually* a better option.

PanHead
06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
^good advice. Though I'd rather play with my rumble 25 I'm not sorry I bought the blues jr. :)

Actually I bought the rumble 25 for the drums on my AD III and I use my blues jr for my guitar, it's a very good sounding setup. When I play with 1 amp for everything I'd grab the rumble.

philipp122
06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
My guess... and it's only a guess.... I *could* be wrong.... but you have been playing for less than 5 years on your instrument/equipment plus or minus a few years.... and have owned/played through very few amps..... and probably even less through quality tube amps....

All correct, except for the second one. I've played with PLENTY of amps in the band room at school.

Little something about the Marshall: you have to take your time when getting your tone. Anyone who says they're muddy probably plugged their guitar in, turned the gain to the 3:00 position, and left the 3 EQ bands at 5, then proceeded to play something, and didn't like the tone.

If you want a bright tone but still want a lot of bass and distortion, all you really need is a BOSS DS-1 or a smiliar distortion pedal. For the music I play, the amp's range easily takes care of it.

I already mentioned that the tone isn't great. I learned what real tone is the first time I played a Marshall tube half-stack. But the MG's tone is NOT as bad as people make it out to be; all you have to do is use common sense and take your time a little.

As for the reliability complaints, I have never had any problems with any MG I've ever played, including the one I own. The amp isn't great, but it's not bad either. It's an average, middle-man amp for its price.

imgooley
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM

Well, I've been playing for less than 5 years and I know what good tone is (to my ear). Tube amps give excellent tones. So do a good deal of solid states. I would rather have my AD50VT than a Peavey Valveking because it doesn't fit the style of music I play. Also, tube doesn't automatically mean killer tone. I absolutely cannot stand the Crate V series amps, they sound thin and weak. Once again, the AD50 and even a Cube beats those amps in my mind. And once you get up higher, you got the Jazz Chorus, the Vetta, and that other Line 6 modeller (not the spider). Both of Line 6's other solid state modellers sound better than the Spider Valve.

Don't forget the Ampeg solid and hybrid amps. Those sound good as well.

neptune1988
06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I am looking for a new amp to just screw around on, and help find my niche as to what my playing style is. (If that makes any sense). I was thinking the Crate 65W Flexwave or Fender Frontman (also 65W).

Also, I am thinking about getting a Crate V-series for if and when I get good enough to gig. Probably the 33W 2x12. Are the pots on that really sensitive/responsive (in a good way)? Are the electronics good enough quality for the money? there haven't been any recalls or anything, right?

imgooley
06-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I am looking for a new amp to just screw around on, and help find my niche as to what my playing style is. (If that makes any sense). I was thinking the Crate 65W Flexwave or Fender Frontman (also 65W).

Also, I am thinking about getting a Crate V-series for if and when I get good enough to gig. Probably the 33W 2x12. Are the pots on that really sensitive/responsive? Are the electronics good enough quality for the money? there haven't been any recalls or anything, right?
I don't like the V Series crate amps.

Also, for a versatile amp to start with, look into a Vox Valvetronix. The 50 Watt is loud enough to keep up with a full band, and sounds good when cranked, unlike those other two ss amps you mentioned.

The amp you get later on down the line should be more focused on what you want to get tone wise. By that I mean, sacrificing versatility for pure tonal bliss. What you are going to want to get is going to vary depending on what niche your playing falls into

Leat
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Vox AD50VT.

+134978435874578257823

neptune1988
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't like the V Series crate amps.

Also, for a versatile amp to start with, look into a Vox Valvetronix. The 50 Watt is loud enough to keep up with a full band, and sounds good when cranked, unlike those other two ss amps you mentioned.

The amp you get later on down the line should be more focused on what you want to get tone wise. By that I mean, sacrificing versatility for pure tonal bliss. What you are going to want to get is going to vary depending on what niche your playing falls into

Agreed, the Vox Valvetronix is a great starter amp. I am looking for something in between starter and gigging. An intermediate amp if you will. But now that you mention it, that would be better for me right now, and more economical.

Also, when you said:

What you are going to want to get is going to vary depending on what niche your playing falls into

What do you mean exactly?

But how do you know what niche your playing falls into, and how do you discover that?

When will you know that you found your niche? or is it one of those hindsight things like oh,....when will we know if we're in a regression?

Leat
06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
^JJ for the win again +200

i wasn't going to go there 'cause i stated several weeks ago that i was going to back off the MG comments but when i was down in mexico at an all inclusive place we did the theatre thing just about every night as it was the thing to do and the guitarist in the band that played used an MG250 and his tone sounded like....like....like....nothing was there, like he wasn't even playing a guitar. hard to explain. granted he wasn't doing death metal but this amp is not geared for good clean tone (or distorted). Distorted is worse.

after one of the shows i walked up there and asked about his amp like i was super curious and believe it or not he said: 'the tone is crushing'.

i about died laughing but didn't want to make fun of him so i complimented him etc. Too bad he didn't check here first. lol

;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WWZcxzT81DY

sounds alright to me.

Unless you were referring to this sound:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cq2-YqYkjAE

imgooley
06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Agreed, the Vox Valvetronix is a great starter amp. I am looking for something in between starter and gigging. An intermediate amp if you will. But now that you mention it, that would be better for me right now, and more economical.

Also, when you said:

What you are going to want to get is going to vary depending on what niche your playing falls into

What do you mean exactly?

But how do you know what niche your playing falls into, and how do you discover that?

When will you know that you found your niche? or is it one of those hindsight things like oh,....when will we know if we're in a regression?
I would say that the Valvetronix is an intermediate amp. A frontman or the Crate Flexwave are more beginner amps.

What I mean is that you'll probably find your tastes and playing style change based on what interests you. When I first started, I played mostly thrash riffs and Tom Morello riffs with some Led Zeppelin mixed in. Then I got deep into the blues. If I had kept playing that style of music, I would probably be saving up my money for a Bugera or a JCM instead of an Epiphone Blues Custom.

The Vox helped me play around with different tones to find what I liked best, and was most conducive to my playing style. That is it's strongest point: versatility. It can go from a thrash sound to a blues sound in seconds. It also takes pedals very well.

kluttz911
06-05-2008, 06:00 PM
try a line 6 spider 3 series

runs to avoid getting hit

neptune1988
06-05-2008, 06:11 PM
what about the Fender Super Champ? Also, is there a way to by-pass the amp models on either amp (Fender or Vox)?

I know on the Vox you could just set it to an AC30 or whatever, but what about the Fender?

imgooley
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
what about the Fender Super Champ? Also, is there a way to by-pass the amp models on either amp (Fender or Vox)?

I know on the Vox you could just set it to an AC30 or whatever, but what about the Fender?
I have no experience with the Super Champ. It's all tube, if it sound like the cheaper Champion 600, it will have a good tone.

You can bypass all of the effects on the Vox, but you have to select an amp model.

Fama
06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WWZcxzT81DY

sounds alright to me.

Unless you were referring to this sound:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cq2-YqYkjAE
Damn, that first video sounded pretty good! At least decent (the delay really helped). Don't know if it would fare as well with rhythm playing, but it definitely worked ok there. Much better than any other MG video I've seen.

The second one sounded like every other MG video I've seen. Maybe a little bit better than most.

neptune1988
06-05-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks everybody that helped me, see y'all (yes, I'm from Texas).

mcrfobtai
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but MG's aren't that great. I've played them MANY times. Each time I come to the same conclusion. They suck. The cleans are sterle but I can live with them. But it's the gain that really gets to me. I cant stand it. It is so fizzy and harsh. Ugh.

brianthemayan
06-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, I've been playing for less than 5 years and I know what good tone is (to my ear). Tube amps give excellent tones. So do a good deal of solid states. I would rather have my AD50VT than a Peavey Valveking because it doesn't fit the style of music I play. Also, tube doesn't automatically mean killer tone. I absolutely cannot stand the Crate V series amps, they sound thin and weak. Once again, the AD50 and even a Cube beats those amps in my mind. And once you get up higher, you got the Jazz Chorus, the Vetta, and that other Line 6 modeller (not the spider). Both of Line 6's other solid state modellers sound better than the Spider Valve.

Don't forget the Ampeg solid and hybrid amps. Those sound good as well.

I never said that solid state amps sounded "bad".... but I do assert that tube amps, in *MOST* circumstances.... will most certainly sound better....I don't think this is much of a debatable topic, but more of an understood truth. Were I playing Jazz, I might go to a Roland Jazz Chorus,.... metal maybe a high end Randall amp.... but for MOST cases... you will find PROFESSIONAL/GIGGING/TOURING/STUDIO musicians will be using quality tube amps....

AND I have had some time playing through a Vetta amp.....I had one in my studio for a few months... and can tell you that though it does not sound bad.... it never sounded anywhere as good as my Crate VC50 w/15inch speaker.... not even close.

Its easy to confuse "ok" tone with great tone until you have played through "great" tone. Put an AC30 next to a Vetta set for modeling an AC30 and you will be able to UNDENIABLY tell that the tube amp is FAR superior..... not that the digital modeling amp is bad (the Vetta is NOT solid state amp, but a digital modeling amp) but it is not as good as the tube equivalent.

Plus... I am quite certain the general opinion of most musicians is that tube amps are superior products..... 16 years of playing, studio time, and extensive gigging with hundreds if not thousands of other bands is proof enough for me......

brianthemayan
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
All correct, except for the second one. I've played with PLENTY of amps in the band room at school.

cool. Care to name which amps they are to help validate what you are saying?

imgooley
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I never said that solid state amps sounded "bad".... but I do assert that tube amps, in *MOST* circumstances.... will most certainly sound better....I don't think this is much of a debatable topic, but more of an understood truth. Were I playing Jazz, I might go to a Roland Jazz Chorus,.... metal maybe a high end Randall amp.... but for MOST cases... you will find PROFESSIONAL/GIGGING/TOURING/STUDIO musicians will be using quality tube amps....

AND I have had some time playing through a Vetta amp.....I had one in my studio for a few months... and can tell you that though it does not sound bad.... it never sounded anywhere as good as my Crate VC50 w/15inch speaker.... not even close.

Its easy to confuse "ok" tone with great tone until you have played through "great" tone. Put an AC30 next to a Vetta set for modeling and AC30 and you will be able to UNDENIABLY tell that the tube amp is FAR superior..... not that the digital modeling amp is bad (the Vetta is NOT solid state, but a digital modeling amp) but it is not as good as the tube equivalent.

Plus... I am quite certain the general opinion of most musicians is that tube amps are superior products..... 16 years of playing, studio time, and extensive gigging with hudnreds if not thousands of other bands is proof enough for me......
You make valid points. However, tone is subjective.

And I have played and heard many different professional grade amps, including an AC30, a Silver Jubilee, a vintage Ampeg Jet, a blackfaced Super Reverb, and a Soldano SLO100, so I think I know what good tone is.

And yes, almost 9 times out of ten, a tube amp will sound better for what I want to play, but there are several tube amps that I would not even consider buying, even if I had the means to do so.

brianthemayan
06-05-2008, 07:07 PM
You make valid points. However, tone is subjective.

And I have played and heard many different professional grade amps, including an AC30, a Silver Jubilee, a vintage Ampeg Jet, a blackfaced Super Reverb, and a Soldano SLO100, so I think I know what good tone is.

And yes, almost 9 times out of ten, a tube amp will sound better for what I want to play, but there are several tube amps that I would not even consider buying, even if I had the means to do so.

You are absolutely correct, tone is subjective.... I do find it to be quite interesting that the "professional" grade amps you mention are all tube amps...

imgooley
06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
You are absolutely correct, tone is subjective.... I do find it to be quite interesting that the "professional" grade amps you mention are all tube amps...
True story. Those amps are simply the best amps I have heard. But a Soldano Super Lead Overdrive is a 4k amp, while a SS combo is tonnes cheaper.

irok660
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
cool. Care to name which amps they are to help validate what you are saying?

What amps do you own?

Fama
06-06-2008, 03:51 AM
(the Vetta is NOT solid state amp, but a digital modeling amp)

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question558.htm

Yes, it's a solid state amp.

darkarbiter7
06-06-2008, 04:01 AM

Just curious, what tube amps wouldn't you even consider buying?

But yeah, i've played some good SS amps, especially during my hunt for a new amp.
Among which, was a Line 6 vetta and a jazz chorus.

BrockTandem
06-06-2008, 04:20 AM
Roland Jazz Chorus.

Enough said.

imgooley
06-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Just curious, what tube amps wouldn't you even consider buying?

I wouldn't consider a Valveking under any circumstances. Not voiced for what I want. I'm not a big fan of the Superchamp. The Spider Valve don't cut it for me. A 6505 wouldn't be right for me. And I really don't like the Crate V series. The Palominos, yes, but not the V series.

MrCarrot
06-06-2008, 04:33 AM
why...not?Dude, you're the prime example of having a great guitar and a horrific amp. *Facepalm*

brianthemayan
06-06-2008, 08:35 AM
What amps do you own?

I own/have owned:

Crate GCX130
Peavy Blazer 158
Peavy Bandit 112
Vox AC30cc2x
Peavy 5150II w/1960Acab
Mesa Dual Rec 2 and 3 channel versions with matching large cab
Mesa Tremoverb Combo
Roland Jazz Chorus
Fender Twin
Fender "Evil"Twin
Fender Deluxe
Crate VC50 w/15 inch speaker
Epiphone Valve Jr

oh yea... and a Gorilla amp!

those are what I have owned....

I have use countless other amps live or in the studio...
From Marshalls, Orange, B52's, Soldanos, Vintage AC30's, Fuchs,Line 6 Vetta.... the list can just keep going..... not to mention diddling on amps in music stores

I'm not trying to say that I am any kind of "expert"... but I do think that 16 years of experience gives me a *bit* of credibility on the subject....

brianthemayan
06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question558.htm

Yes, it's a solid state amp.

NO. It's digital Modeling.... just like a HYBRID amp is not referred to as a tube amp or a solid state amp.... because it is not either... its a HYBRID amp (tube mixed with SS ).

A digital modeling amp has a digital modeling section with SS power, similar to a Line 6 Vetta. In the case of a Spider Valve, it has a Tube power section and tube preamp....and it contains a digital modeling section.... It is a Digital Modeling Amp(or even more specific to the Spider Valve... a HYBRID Digital Modeling Amp.

A solid state amp would be a Roland Jazz Chorus, or a Peavy Blazer... etc, etc.

Here are some links to the Modeling amps to clear this up for you

Spider Valve (http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2007/08/28/line-6-bogner-unveil-hybrid-tubedigital-modeling-amplifier/)
another one (http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/MusikMesse99/Hughes_and_Kettner/Zentera.html)
Line 6 (http://www.amazon.com/Line-300-Watt-Digital-Modeling-Head/dp/B000JKR7ZM)
Vetta (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=88974)

FrugalGuitarist
06-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Didn't read all the posts but here's my 2 cents:

If you're looking for an all around great solid state combo for practice and performance, check out the Tech 21 Trademark 60. It's like 34 pounds with 2 channels and a footswitchable boost and effects loop, has very good bass response at high volumes, and is extremely versitile. I gigged with one for years.

If you're looking for raw power for an amp modeler. My first choice would be the Behringer K1800FX keyboard amp. Good bass response at gigging volumes with multiple channel input which can serve as a mini PA for rehersals. Second choice would be the Roland JC120. A great amp with tons of headroom. Just note they don't really get quiet enough for apartment use and they're pretty heavy.

imgooley
06-06-2008, 09:06 AM
NO. It's digital Modeling.... just like a HYBRID amp is not referred to as a tube amp or a solid state amp.... because it is not either... its a HYBRID amp (tube mixed with SS ).

A digital modeling amp has a digital modeling section with SS power, similar to a Line 6 Vetta. In the case of a Spider Valve, it has a Tube power section and tube preamp....and it contains a digital modeling section.... It is a Digital Modeling Amp(or even more specific to the Spider Valve... a HYBRID Digital Modeling Amp.

A solid state amp would be a Roland Jazz Chorus, or a Peavy Blazer... etc, etc.

Here are some links to the Modeling amps to clear this up for you

Spider Valve (http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2007/08/28/line-6-bogner-unveil-hybrid-tubedigital-modeling-amplifier/)
another one (http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/MusikMesse99/Hughes_and_Kettner/Zentera.html)
Line 6 (http://www.amazon.com/Line-300-Watt-Digital-Modeling-Head/dp/B000JKR7ZM)
Vetta (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=88974)
If I am not mistaken, the Vetta has a solid preamp and a solid poweramp. The spider valve has a tube power amp and tube pre amp, making it a tube amp. The fact that it has on board digital effects/amp models has nothing to do with the amplification technology itself.

marvelboy_04
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
peavey classic 30

brianthemayan
06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
If I am not mistaken, the Vetta has a solid preamp and a solid poweramp. The spider valve has a tube power amp and tube pre amp, making it a tube amp. The fact that it has on board digital effects/amp models has nothing to do with the amplification technology itself.

clicky the links in my post.... they should clear up both of the amps you mention... you can even click only on the Vetta link, and only on the Spider Valve if you wish. :D

jj1565
06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
^guys, isnt it kind of silly tho?

i mean, obviously you both like to play and know what works for you.

sometimes a solid state is the perfect choice for a younger player, or someone looking for a very specific tone.

i just didnt want the thread starter to make a mistake and pick an mg. :haha

just to point out here's another one today. that's quite a few this month...
Its an MG50 with the footswitch, and sounds good though it was repaired about half a year ago. . What do you guys think would be a reasonable price to put up on craigslist?

imgooley
06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
clicky the links in my post.... they should clear up both of the amps you mention... you can even click only on the Vetta link, and only on the Spider Valve if you wish. :D
"a digital modeling front-end paired with a set of 12AX7 preamp tubes, and powered by a pair of matched 6L6 power tubes driving Celestion Vintage 30 speakers."

Describing the spider valve

The Vetta and the HD147 are 300 watt stereo amps. (or guitar amps with stereo output).

I'm not familiar with that particular Hughes and Kettner.

And I'm referring the physical description of the amplification technology. Not an effects processor that just happens to be part of the amp.

Fama
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
NO. It's digital Modeling....
I think you're missing my point here - digital modelling is solid state technology. In technology terms, there's no disctinction between digital modelling and an analog solid state preamp. They're both solid state technology, since they don't have valves in them.

Blompcube
06-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I think you're missing my point here - digital modelling is solid state technology. In technology terms, there's no disctinction between digital modelling and an analog solid state preamp. They're both solid state technology, since they don't have valves in them.
Well, not entirely, they are solid state because the physical components within a digital circuit are solid state components.

Fama
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, not entirely, they are solid state because the physical components within a digital circuit are solid state components.
Well, yes, but my point still stands.

brianthemayan
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
may be we are all just splitting hairs here, like jj1565 was alluding to.

May be to dumb it down.... its like saying "that car is Blue". Which could be correct. But it is more accurate to say it is midnight blue, or sky blue, or baby blue.... etc.

There are many shades of blue. Just like there are many "shades" of amps. Sure, you *could* get away with calling a digital modeling amp a SS amp because it has SS components.... but then how do you deal with defining a Hybrid amp? Is it a tube amp, or is it SS.... it's neither.. it's a Hybrid. Just as a Digital Modeling amp is not a SS amp.... it is a Digital Modeling amp... as described in all literature regarding these types of amps in this genre. Again... clicky the links... the headlines of the description of the amps should be sufficient enough....

Fama
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't drag hybrid into this - the name literally means that it has both solid state and tube technology. A digital modelling amp is a SS amp. There are basically solid state and tube amps, with hybrid amps having both technologies. A basic digital modelling amp is a subclass of solid state amps, so to speak. It's a digital modelling amp, but it's also a SS amp, so don't go around saying it's not a SS amp.

Yes it's more accurate to say "that car is sky blue", but that doesn't mean you can say "that car is not blue".

PanHead
06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Solid state is solid state whether they're digital or analog. :)

brianthemayan
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Don't drag hybrid into this - the name literally means that it has both solid state and tube technology. A digital modelling amp is a SS amp. There are basically solid state and tube amps, with hybrid amps having both technologies. A basic digital modelling amp is a subclass of solid state amps, so to speak. It's a digital modelling amp, but it's also a SS amp, so don't go around saying it's not a SS amp.

Yes it's more accurate to say "that car is sky blue", but that doesn't mean you can say "that car is not blue".

You solidify my argument for me. A SS amp is a SS amp. A Digital Modeling Amp is a Digital Modeling Amp.... completely different beasts...

IbanezPsycho
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
You solidify my argument for me. A SS amp is a SS amp. A Digital Modeling Amp is a Digital Modeling Amp.... completely different beasts...

+1

brianthemayan
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Solid state is solid state whether they're digital or analog. :)

So, would you call a Spider Valve a TUBE AMP?... or more CORRECTLY classify it as a Hybrid/Digital Modeling Amp..... as LINE 6 and Bogner classifies it as? Ya know... the people who MADE the amp...

COME ON GUYS!!!! THIS IS E A S Y to figure out.... digital modeling amps are not MARKETED as SS amps... but as Digital Modeling Amps.... THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS.... it's because they are not SS amps... they are Digital Modeling Amps.... BIG difference.

To dumb it down Even Further..... its like saying ANY vehicle with and engine and wheels is *just* a vehicle. But thats not where it ends... there are Vans, Trucks, 18 Wheelers, Hybrids (ha ha too easy) etc....... they are not all *just* vehicles. If you can make this determination in difference... it should be easy to see the difference in classification in amps. One *could* make a BROAD generalization by saying the are all *vehicles* (like saying these amps are SS)... but they are not the same.. and need to be clarified/classified as such!

tahwnikcufos
01-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I always get a kick out of reading these forums.

My 2 cents on the conversation that blossomed and never answer the original question.

A solid state amp is solid state and a tube amp is a tube amp.
A hybrid amp is a combination of solid state and tube technology.

Just because the manufacturers or the retailers advertise the "so called" - "Digital Modeling Amps" in that manner, does not make them a different type of amp or "beast" as one of the other members put it.

The digital modeling part of the amp is "looped" into the signal chain, just as chorus and reverb have been for decades. The amplifier still has dedicated preamp and power amp sections, whether they be tube or solid state.

Digital Modeling is an on board effect, not a totally new or different concept of Amplification.

Here's an un-analogy for the blue car guy, "Hooking up a Line 6 POD to my combo, through the input or loop section, does not make it a digital modeling amp any differently than an amp that has the modeling built in from the factory."

Now, back to the original post, which the guy prolly gave up and moved on to somewhere more informative.

The best solid state amp - well, that depends on what you want it for.
The Ampeg SS140-C/VH140-C was mentioned several times through-out this post. While they do have great tone, that can be adjusted for just about any kind of music; they are not very road worthy. I currently own 2 of them - a combo and a head w/212 cab. One in my living room and one in our studio. I will take them to the local pub now and then, but not without backup. These are old amps and notorious for poor solder joints from the factory. I would not get one, unless you are savvy on fixing electronics or have someone who can help you out.

If you're a bedroom musician and just want to play, but not play out; there are many amps on the market that would fit that bill nicely. Just go to a big store like Guitar Center and play all the amps they have, come back another day, and do it all over again. Don't worry about shipping a tube amp on eBay, just make sure the seller knows to pull the tubes and bubble wrap them in a box in the back of the cabinet. There is not any more risk to a tube amp than there is to any solid state device, other than the amount of care the shipper puts into packing the item.

Playing out - Peavey Valveking, Ampeg 140 w/backup, Vox AD100VT, Peavey 5150/6505 "same amp", stay away from the Head version of the 5150, does not sound as good.

I would not advise Line 6 for any kind gigging, very poor track record and even worse support. Stick to the PODs, cheap and easy to replace - trust me, they won't fix it, if it breaks!

Good Luck! - Peace

Kevin Saale
01-27-2009, 08:52 PM
*reported* Don't bump dead threads.