[Guitar Effect Question] About Slash's Sweet Child O' Mine

PDA

View Full Version : [Guitar Effect Question] About Slash's Sweet Child O' Mine

~Vincent~
06-05-2008, 05:33 AM
What effect pedal did Slash use for the recording of his Sweet Child O' Mine or the effect pedal he used for Sweet Child O' Mine on they world tour in Tokyo? :D Thanks. :D

weetadsftw
06-05-2008, 05:34 AM
um...............
wah? -__________________________-

~Vincent~
06-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Not the wah dude. The distortion or overdrive he used. I don't really know if it's distortion or overdrive and please the exact name of the effect pedal. LIke: (MXR Distortion+) something like that.

Rajah
06-05-2008, 05:41 AM
MXR Distortion. Definately!

Dude, you won't get the exact sound. You may get close. You'll need a Les Paul, probably a Marshall, his effects which would have other pedals besides an overdrive pedal - delay, reveb, compression etc. Even if you played through the exact set up of his it wouldn't sound liek Slash. It's all in the way you hit the strings and finger the notes.
Hell, just use a Strat, neck pickup, and back the tone off a bit.

According to wikipedia, he uses the following.....

His guitars include:

B.C Rich Mockingbird
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
B.C Rich Bich Double neck
Gibson EDS-1275
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Explorer
Gibson Melody Maker (used for slide during "Psycho Killer")
At least 30 Les Pauls

Effects.....

Dunlop Rack Mounted Crybaby (controlled with an Ernie Ball volume pedal for live shows)
Rocktron Hush II CX
DBX 166 Compressor
Yamaha SPX 900 Multieffect
Boss DD-5 Delay (for solos)
MXR 10-band graphic EQ
Dunlop Heil Talkbox
Boss GE-7 (for solos)
Dunlop Q-Zone

Amps.............

He used a rented vintage 1960's Marshall 1959 modified by Tim Caswell at SIR studios for the recording of Appetite for Destruction. Slash liked the amp so much he tried to keep it, telling the store that it had been stolen, but it was returned accidentally by a roadie.During the 80's Slash was using a Marshall JCM 2555 Silver Jubilee Anniversary amplifier made in 1987. It featured EL34's power tubes and three ECC83 preamp tubes.

weetadsftw
06-05-2008, 05:42 AM
as far as i know, he went straight from his guitar into the 1959 marshall he used to record appetite for destruction.

Kaham
06-05-2008, 05:45 AM
as far as i know, he went straight from his guitar into the 1959 marshall he used to record appetite for destruction.

I second that one. From what I've read about Slash and his style, I remembered that he always tried to minimize the use of pedals and suchs, and as far as I know he created his sound using just his Les Paul and his Marshall amps. (Using either the bridge or neck pickup to change the sound a bit.)

The two exceptions on the Tokyo tour that I know of are his wah pedal (no idea what brand or anything) and a talkbox.

However, as Rajah already said before me, you will never get exactly his sound. Its ofcourse partly due to gear, but your own style and playing give your solos and music its own signature.

adzlee123
06-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah, Slash's general way of doing things was to use the amp's overdrive

Had the EQ slightly scooped for rhythm, and used a EQ pedal with a fair mid-boost for (most) solos

Kabeern
06-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Im no expert, but Id say yeah it would have been no fancy FX into his Marshall.
But it does use a wah for the intro. So Wah > Marshall.

~Vincent~
06-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys. :D Appreciate your help. :D

Fama
06-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Im no expert, but Id say yeah it would have been no fancy FX into his Marshall.
But it does use a wah for the intro. So Wah > Marshall.
...for the intro? You sure? You mean like leaving it in one position? I thought it was just the tone pot at zero or something.

halikus
06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I highly doubt theres a wah in that intro. It just does not sound like it, a very vintage neck humbucker yes but no wah.

RCShadow
06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
...to add to that...Slash rented the modified 800. He liked it so much, he went back to the guy he rented it from to buy it only to find out it was rented again lol. He then commissioned the guy that modified this amp to modify one for him. This was AFTER he got a check from the record company lol...we all struggle to the top....Slash was no differant. I got that story from Guitar World, btw.

Chris

slashs_#1_fan
06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
...to add to that...Slash rented the modified 800. He liked it so much, he went back to the guy he rented it from to buy it only to find out it was rented again lol. He then commissioned the guy that modified this amp to modify one for him. This was AFTER he got a check from the record company lol...we all struggle to the top....Slash was no differant. I got that story from Guitar World, btw.

Chris

it was a modified 1959SLP modded by SIR, the #39 stock mod.

Slash himself has said that he has had amps modded that way since and he still cant find the appetite tone. No matter how hard he tries even he cant get it back, so i doubt you could. You can however, get close with a cranked marshall valve amp! If you cant crank, i have heard good results with a decent clen valve amp and the MI Audio crunch box (for appetite stuff) - the proguitarshop demo on youtube shows the pedal and plays paradise city for a bit which sounds good enough for me. I have just ordered one and will let you know!

A lot of Slashs tone is in his fingers though - i know it is over said, but it is true. I was listening to some recordings of Slash when he was like 15 (from Marc Canters fantastic book "reckless road") and even though he uses strats and BC Rich guitars through various amps including "ritter" amps.... whatever they are!! the tone is still there. You can instantly recognise the slash tone when slash isnt playing through a jubilee or les paul. it is in the fingers.

Kabeern
06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
...for the intro? You sure? You mean like leaving it in one position? I thought it was just the tone pot at zero or something.
I know it sounds wierd....but try it, try putting a wah in a set position (youll have to experiment to find that position). Play a classic neck humbucker (roll back on the tone) + overdriven Marshall. And you get pretty close.

darthbuttchin
06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
What chance have you got if Slash himself cannot even get his own tone from SCOM??

Kabeern
06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Hehe, I dont anyone can ever get the exact tone, just a close approximation (I found it VVVV.hard to even get a close approximation, itsa magic tone)

Horlicks
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
A lot of Slashs tone is in his fingers though - i know it is over said, but it is true. I was listening to some recordings of Slash when he was like 15 (from Marc Canters fantastic book "reckless road") and even though he uses strats and BC Rich guitars through various amps including "ritter" amps.... whatever they are!! the tone is still there. You can instantly recognise the slash tone when slash isnt playing through a jubilee or les paul. it is in the fingers.

Link?

Fama
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I know it sounds wierd....but try it, try putting a wah in a set position (youll have to experiment to find that position). Play a classic neck humbucker (roll back on the tone) + overdriven Marshall. And you get pretty close.
Well, it doesn't sound that weird - except that rolling the tone knob back does the same thing as using the wah in a set position. You sure there was wah too, and not just the tone knob? Because that's what I've read in a lot of places.

slashs_#1_fan
06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Link?

www.enhancedbooks.com (where the online videos/audio are)

www.recklessroad.com (website of the book, can buy it from there)

you have to buy the book first, but when you do there is just ana amazing amount of videos and recordings that are previously unseen/heard. Great for any GnR fan, although the focus at the beginning is on Slash because Marc Canter was Slash's best friend. The quality of some of the recordings done on a tape player in like 1982 are obviously a bit sketchy, but slashs tone still cuts through and is instantly recognisable...

It is a fantastic book, it covers all of the previous projects before GnR, with pictures of pretty much every show except the hell tour. Also has recordings of Slash in "Black Sheep" as Paul Gilberts replacement. There is a audio of the frontman saying that slash came in, learnt all of Paul Gilberts stuff in an instant without any effort. Says that he is one of the greatest technical players he has played with! Great book

Edit: anyway, moral of the story is that you gotta learn to play like Slash before you learn to sound like him. It is very difficult

Kabeern
06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, it doesn't sound that weird - except that rolling the tone knob back does the same thing as using the wah in a set position. You sure there was wah too, and not just the tone knob? Because that's what I've read in a lot of places.
Rolling the tone does the same as a wah?? :confused:
To me its got a different quality (hard to describe in words).

No im not 100% sure, just saying that iv tried it (because I read it somewhere, and thought no way is it right, but it did work well), and added a certain something that was missing when trying to recreate that tone.

adzlee123
06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
No, it doesn't.

Rolling back the tone knob will decrease the amount of treble in your sound. A wah will only allow certain frequencies to pass in a certain position.

Lil Macker
06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Not the wah dude. The distortion or overdrive he used. I don't really know if it's distortion or overdrive and please the exact name of the effect pedal. LIke: (MXR Distortion+) something like that.
He used the overdrive on his amp (a JCM 800 I believe) and the neck pickup.

Yeah, a tad bit more expensive that a MXR!! :p:

slashs_#1_fan
06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
He used the overdrive on his amp (a JCM 800 I believe) and the neck pickup.

Yeah, a tad bit more expensive that a MXR!! :p:

slash never recorded with a JCM800 in guns. it was a modded 1959SLP as mentioned. It was modded by a guy named Tim Caswell.

You are right though, it is just overdrive from the amp, no pedals. I think an EQ (MXR 10-band) was used for solos (and possibly for the sweet child intro)

check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMn2SOc7L8

the guy has done the same mod as the tim caswell mod (although it says #38, i thought it was #39)

although his tone isnt exact because his picking seems to be a little more aggressive, it is pretty darn good! TS, that is all you need for the tone.... wont cost you much haha!

Kabeern
06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMn2SOc7L8

Ok, I stand corrected on the Wah, I guess the wah just makes it fakily sound closer when you dont have that mod.
Damm, I want this modded tone :bonk:

Vendetta V
06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
hey i've got RP-250. so i know it's possible t get the tone.. at least a very close one... ???

slashs_#1_fan
06-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Ok, I stand corrected on the Wah, I guess the wah just makes it fakily sound closer when you dont have that mod.
Damm, I want this modded tone :bonk:

I got quoted like over 2000 for the amp with the mod. its insane but if you really want the tone then go for it!!

I stand firm in my belief that you can get it with a decent marshall voiced valve amp and some expertise in slashs playing style. Heck i reckon if slash played my gear it would instantly be recognisable as slash, like i say, check out the reckless road recordings and you will hear that he can do it on any piece of equipment

Fama
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
No, it doesn't.

Rolling back the tone knob will decrease the amount of treble in your sound. A wah will only allow certain frequencies to pass in a certain position.
Well, actually, you are right. But I ment that while a tone pot is basically a low pass filter, and a wah is a band pass filter, with the wah in the right position it's a low pass filter too. So thus you achieve the same sound (wah with heel down = tone pot turned down, sort of).

colin617
06-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I got the closest to the AFD tones with a Orange Rocker 30 head, a Marshall 1960 cab with Greenbacks, and a Paul Reed Smith Custom 24.

It sounded closer than any Marshall I have ever tried/

ClassicRockLP
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok, there are a number of things that created that tone. First of all, the guitar. It was actually a Les Paul "copy" custom made by a guitar craftsman. Second, the amp. I think it was a Marshall stack that he borrowed or rented just to record Appetite, he never used it again. Lastly, the studio. Even thought it isn't as important, the reverberation/acoustics, ect. in the studio during the recording was a one-time thing and probably can't be recreated. So what I'm saying is, if your looking for the exact tone ( I mean EXACT), it would be near impossible to recreate. :(

P.S. I got alot of this information from Slash's autobiography, don't quote me on it however, I'm writing from memory. ::type

P. S. Check out my profile.:headbang: