Les Paul vs. Stratocaster

PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul vs. Stratocaster

francisthefox
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
What are the advantages and disadvantages of an LP and a Strat? I personally think that LP's have a thicker and "milkier" sound, but that's just me? What about YOU?

Punk_Ninja
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Les Pauls.
Mahogany - Humbuckers
Strats (well the "original" Strat).
Alder - Single Coils.

No advantages or disadvantages.

MaXiMuse
06-06-2008, 02:18 PM
If you like Tom Morello you can make easily a killswitch out of a Les Paul, Strat`s must be customized then.

gr33nday1946
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
i disagree, there are lots of differences.

Les Paul
heavier, fatter neck
warmer sound (good for rhythm)

stratocasters
lighter, fast neck
dont forget the whammy bar
single coils if you like that sound

theres a lot of things to consider

LP_CL
06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
oh no, this is a topic doomed to go wrong.
You cant compare them.
Every single part of these guitars is like an opposite.
Angled headstock vs straight headstock
D shaped neck vs C shaped neck
2/3 humbuckers vs 3 single coil pickups
set neck vs bolt on
tremolo vs hardtail

Dance_of_Death
06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
If you like Tom Morello you can make easily a killswitch out of a Les Paul, Strat`s must be customized then.
soldering 2 wires is hardly customizing

plus you can never do a real guitar A vs guitar B because everyone has an opinion on what they like and dislike about a guitar

drol_52
06-06-2008, 02:22 PM
strats are more comfortable to play, being lighter and things, and les pauls can have great sounds, it's a tough choice

Scion
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
LPs are used more for hard rock and thick distortion, Strats are typically better for blues and clean sounds, as the owner of an Epiphone Les Paul, I personally think it's a great sounding guitar, but i have tried strats and they sound great too. LPs are much heavier than strats though.

chippythingy
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
you can only compare les pauls and stratocasters, you cant say what is better and what isnt, thats like saying, bannanas are tastier than oranges, theyre completely different, its ALL down to personal opinion.
i like strats and i like les pauls, but i prefer my guitar, wich is the thinner type neck, double cutaway, and tremolo like a strat, and the humbuckers and mahogony like a les paul :)

evening_crow
Les Paul
advantages - thick sound, good distorted sound, versatile, can use the pickup switch as a killswitch, one extra fret, a lot of sustain, possible aesthetic finishes
disadvantages - heavy weight, limited access to high frets, no tremolo system, glued on neck (hard to repair/replace)

Strat
advantages - very versatile, very typical tone (u recognize a strat tone immediately huh?), high fret access, bolt on neck (easy repairing), faster neck (both thinner and slippery), 5 pickup combinations, great clean sound, body contour, light weight, whammy bar
disadvantages - not too well with heavy distortion, one less fret, needs routing for some pickups and killswitches

that's the main stuff i can think of at the moment

dannyisokay
hahaha, best thing ever.

ad at the top of the screen is the one for electricguitarinsurance.com with a strat on one side, and a les paul on the other...

great.

m4l666
Les Paul. No question. Unless you play pop? LPs are the best for proper rock.

TheProducer
06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
This has been done to death:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2724123

TheProducer
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Right, buddy. Could never play "proper rock" with a Strat. I'll spare you the list of names of people who do.

evening_crow
06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Read the topic first u idiot.

He's asking for advantages/disadvantages of each, not which one is better.

EDIT: Ah, no wonder, ur an '08.

TheProducer
06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey hey now :D

LP_CL
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Read the topic first u idiot.

He's asking for advantages/disadvantages of each, not which one is better.

cocky '04-er :peace:

evening_crow
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey hey now :D
hahaha, ur an exception buddy.

FacingUsAll
06-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm glad we don't have threads about this every day.

Oh wait...

WE DO.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/JasonColton/Facepalmcat.jpg

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

mmjohn
06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
go play each one and see the one YOU like.

evening_crow
06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
cocky '04-er :peace:
I'm not trying to be cocky, it's just that ppl think this is a vs thread when it would be obvious that the TS asked a perfectly reasonable question if only they read his post.

A lot of the newer UGers are jumping into the bandwagon trying to be cool by reporting and saying what's right/wrong in the forums when they obviously don't know.

Not all new members are bad, but that IS the reason why they get a bad reputation. They need to start following rules; instead they're creating spam with their "no vs threads" posts.

TheProducer
06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm not trying to be cocky, it's just that ppl think this is a vs thread when it would be obvious that the TS asked a perfectly reasonable question if only they read his post.

A lot of the newer UGers are jumping into the bandwagon trying to be cool by reporting and saying what's right/wrong in the forums when they obviously don't know.

Not all new members are bad, but that IS the reason why they get a bad reputation.
I could care less about this whole "no versus threads" thing. My biggest issue is that this is just a dumb subject that has been done a million times.

mmjohn
06-06-2008, 02:46 PM
to buy a guitar because someone says it is better is a bad choice. play as many guitars as possible and find the one that fits YOU. feels right in your hands and rings perfect in your ears!

LP_CL
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Not all new members are bad, but that IS the reason why they get a bad reputation. They need to start following rules; instead they're creating spam with their "no vs threads" posts.
I know, i know. Youre totally right. I was just joking/teasing you.

klb93
06-06-2008, 03:32 PM

Amen to your brother!

He never said which is better.. he asked advantages and disadvantages of each one.

Bazilisck311
06-06-2008, 03:44 PM

Even if it was a reasonable question, the fact is it has been done before. The mods stated numerous times to use the search function before creating a thread to prevent threads like this.

It's also entirely subjective - What one person might construe as an advantage might be a disadvantage for another. Only he can answer this question.

ECwomantoneman
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
list3: Versus threads: Threads like, ?Metallica vs. Megadeth?, or ?Gibson vs. Fender? are not allowed.

FFS, how many more times? :rolleyes:

Talking about the merits of each, fine. Trying to argue which is better is retarded to the extreme.

Ippon
06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
oh no, this is a topic doomed to go wrong.
You cant compare them.
Every single part of these guitars is like an opposite.
Angled headstock vs straight headstock
D shaped neck vs C shaped neck
2/3 humbuckers vs 3 single coil pickups
set neck vs bolt on
tremolo vs hardtail
pfft! That never stopped the previous 2,319 similar threads.

:cheers:

Me2NiK
06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
For the record, the Telecaster is the antithesis of the Les Paul, not the Stratocaster.

bigbunny
06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Why does it always have to be Les Paul vs. Stratocaster.

Have you ever heard the two play together? It sounds amazing.

iamoutoforder
06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Personally, I think Les Pauls own Stratocasters :P
(In my opinion)

TheProducer
06-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Personally, I think Les Pauls own Stratocasters :P
(In my opinion)
Personally, I think Stratocasters own Les Pauls.

See, our opinions don't really matter. Just play them. Figure it out yourself.

mmjohn
06-06-2008, 05:58 PM
just send me the money i know what i like :D if you need someone to play i'll help also :D

Kai07
06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Neither

SG or Hellraiser > both

DotSick
06-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I have both. I love their versatility. They both are equal in terms of style. End of story.

kckyle
06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Neither

SG or Hellraiser > both

:)

kckyle
06-06-2008, 06:33 PM
personally i like the tele tone better.

Dookie_1988
06-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Mods, please close this thread. Pointless and going nowhere.

'What are the advantages and disadvantages of a bannana and an aardvark.'

God, UG has gone downhill since I last visited.

:rolleyes:

kckyle
06-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Mods, please close this thread. Pointless and going nowhere.

'What are the advantages and disadvantages of a bannana and an aardvark.'

God, UG has gone downhill since I last visited.

:rolleyes:

lol you can say that again

nous basculons
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
les pauls are better because of the pup switch, sustain, fat tone, good distortion, and looks way better!!!

I hate strats

mmjohn
06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
les pauls are better because of the pup switch, sustain, fat tone, good distortion, and looks way better!!!

I hate strats
lol....................at least your not bias

aedmiston
06-06-2008, 10:38 PM
i prefer the searchbar over either of them

Wesseem
06-06-2008, 11:44 PM
i've tried most fenders and i hate pretty well most if not all of them. feels cheap and plasticy. the style is generic and that nasty feeling neck really bothers me. but that's just me...

The only advantage i found with it was the fact its WAY lighter than an LP and if your just watching t.v. and laying back on a couch or chair it won't crush down on you.
Great thing about the LP is that sustain, you can easily mimic the sound of a strat with a good amp but i can't see a strat mimicing the sound of an LP very easily.

but like most people said you should try them out n see for yourself.

Underjoggle
06-07-2008, 12:30 AM
If I'm playing jazz and pop punk: Strat
If I'm playing stoner rock: LP.

PaperStSoapCo
06-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Many differences. Could list them endlessly.

Better idea:

Play them both, find out which one you prefer. Weigh the benefits of each to your personal tastes, based on your time playing them. Have fun.

:D

roshjosh
06-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Les Pauls
Mahogany: Warmer Tone
Humbuckers: Warmer + More versatile tone
Angled neck: Better sustain
Fat Neck: Harder to play, IMO... very chunky feeling
TOM stoptail bridge: Slightly better sustain (But would be much better with through-body) and better at staying in tune.

Strats
Alder (though sometimes maple or ash): All woods that have little resonance and make a bright sound
Single Coils: Brighter sound
Straight headstock W/ trees: Less sustain
Thinner Neck: I like thin necks better.
Trem system: If it's ****ty, it goes out of tune easier.

Overall IMO:

Strats= bad sound, good feel
Les Pauls= Good sound, bad feel

Both are overrated due to their "Classic"-ness... You can find much better guitars.

ThrashIsGreat
06-07-2008, 03:05 AM
APPLES AND ****ING ORANGES. You really cannot compare them, they are two completely different guitars.

jeremylp
06-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Les Pauls.
Mahogany - Humbuckers
Strats (well the "original" Strat).
Alder - Single Coils.

No advantages or disadvantages.\

small mistake there.
The ORIGINAL strats, (54's) have ash body not alder.
had to point that out because im OCD.

:D

311ZOSOVHJH
06-07-2008, 03:21 AM
this thread is entirely f**ked imo. it happens several times a week. Search Bar!

i started reading thru it earlier and man o man i gave up.

apples to oranges is the best way i can explain it as stated before.

ps. i'm very happy with my HSS strat

man good luck and you need to go to a store and play both and then some other guitars as well. ffs.

;

imgooley
06-07-2008, 03:29 AM
So guys, what are the advantages and disadvantages of soup versus stew? I personally prefer stew because it is thicker and has more meat.

ps. I would take a semi hollow over both in a heartbeat.

ThrashIsGreat
06-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Definitely soup. With crackers, many crackers.

Orbit91
06-07-2008, 03:47 AM
More good players play Strats than Les Pauls.

ThrashIsGreat
06-07-2008, 03:49 AM
More good players play Strats than Les Pauls.

You sir, fail in every way possible.

LP_CL
06-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Is this topic STILL open?? Has anyone reported it yet?

well then...

*reported*