The Chicago Blues festival

PDA

View Full Version : The Chicago Blues festival

DaveGilmour1189
06-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Kicks ass!

100% free and i did not see a single act that disappointed. Just got back.

Oh and i get to see bb king tommorrow. discuss

Vagabond21
06-08-2008, 01:15 AM
I saw BB a couple a months back

He can still play and sing great. Some of his stories he tells between songs are pretty funny.

imgooley
06-08-2008, 01:39 AM
I fooking hate SoCal for not having good blues shows. Everyone wants to play ****ty metalcore or punk/indie (not that those genres are ****ty, the bands just are)

I wish I could go to a blues festival. I think there is a Jazz festival in LB, but I'm wary of a Jazz festival for some reason.

aetherspear
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I was gonna go, but its during finals for me, bummer.

Dimebag22
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
My dad was there a couple nights ago. :mad: He had to go for work and it just happened to be during Blues Fest Weekend. Damn him! :p: I'm jealous.

But Calgary is having one pretty soon I think, I might check that one out. It probably wont be as good as the Chicago one though.

imgooley
06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I think I'ma go to The House of Blues to see George Thorogood. Gov't Mule is also coming to town.

DaveGilmour1189
06-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Oh and buddy guy showed up for the set for a song or two.

Thefallofman
06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Just got back from Chicago about an hour ago.

And Buddy Guy didn't play yesterday did he? He introduced BB, but he just was at the side of the stage hanging out, right? Or am I blind? I expected Buddy, Koko and the other legends on the stage for BB's set to play a song with BB but they didn't. That would've been HUGE.

BB was amazing though. It was just too bad he didn't have more time. His set list was pretty different from when I saw him in November which was really cool.

Did anyone here see Otis Taylor? His band had some problems with sound and I had some problems with idiot fans there, but his band played an excellent set. Nothing I'd ever heard before... blues/folk/pyschedelic/rock/awesome. Big James Montgomery and the Playboys were great, but Big James was really annoying in how he said EVERYTHING a million times. "Play the blues, Mike!", "I wrote it from my heart, y'all!", and his band introductions.

DaveGilmour1189
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
awe i missed otis. Although Magic Slim and Buckwheat zedeka were awesome.

and buddy wasn't actually playing and only introduced him? musta missed that because i was WELL in the back and could barely see the jumbo screen they set up. The people i was with were just hangining and listening, but we weren't really following along too well at many points.

Thefallofman
06-09-2008, 10:43 PM
awe i missed otis. Although Magic Slim and Buckwheat zedeka were awesome.

and buddy wasn't actually playing and only introduced him? musta missed that because i was WELL in the back and could barely see the jumbo screen they set up. The people i was with were just hangining and listening, but we weren't really following along too well at many points.
Ah, I didn't see Buckwheat because we only made the trip down for the last day.

But yeah, Buddy introduced him and then sat down on the side of the stage by BB's family. It would've been incredible if he had played with BB. My thinking was that he was coming out for something that would be dedicated to Bo Diddley as the finale. With Koko and the others on the stage out there, it would've been a legendary thing.