Summer Festivals/Shows

PDA

View Full Version : Summer Festivals/Shows

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Well this summer I'm seeing Derek Trucks in July and Buddy Guy and George Thorogood in August. And I'm also going to and playing in the Cincinnati Blues Fest.

Have any of you guys seen Buddy or Derek live, and what are they like?

Also, what shows and festivals are you guys going to this summer?

aetherspear
06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm probably going to summerfest to see Buddy again. I've seen him at a hall, and that was great, he walked into the balcony and played. I also saw him and Trucks (not together) at the chicago crossroads, which was great as well. I'm going to Lollapalooza for all 3 days but they don't really have much of a blues lineup.

ze monsta
06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm seeing Clapton and John Mayer...that's it.

slidething31
06-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm seeing John Mayer in July.

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm seeing Clapton and John Mayer...that's it.

That's it?? :rolleyes:

ze monsta
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Rofl, well, you are going to see 3 people...and I'm going to what is basically a one day long festival!

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah that's true. Where are you seeing them at?

ze monsta
06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Hyde Park.
It's not gonna be very good, I don't think.
I'm going to be so far back, and watching it on the big screen really, unless I get there real early. :sad:

When my brother saw Floyd at Live 8, he couldn't even make out who was who on the stage...

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Well at least you will get to hear it in person, I would love to see Clapton and Mayer live.

ze monsta
06-09-2008, 03:00 PM
True, that is the upside.
I will be able to say I saw EC, and I will be able to lie about not seeing John Mayer to my friends.

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Why would you lie about that?

ze monsta
06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
They will rib me about it for the rest of my life. :haha
I have lots of friends in different circles...with varied musical choices and none of them like John Mayer! lolz

On a more serious note, our band got a new drummer he's 16 and is actually a better guitar player but is already in a blues band (the one I almost joined/will hopefully join eventually), he loves John Mayer, Clapton, SRV and Hendrix --- so it should be fun. He's only really in the band because I go to a music school (outside of school), which is basically just somewhere to jam and hang out more than anything else; and we needed a drummer. :haha Should be cool though, the guy drumming before was a teacher...who is just a bit awesome :p:

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
:haha Well that's awesome man! I kind of converted our drummer into a blues fan, he never would have been into it without me exposing him to it. But besides me and him, there are like 2 or 3 blues fans in my whole school that I know of, it sucks :sad:

theneildeal
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Clapton and then John Mayer.

I really want to go to this jazz festival in spain, because Sonny Rollins and Herbie Hancock............................... but its in Vitoria in the Basque country...........

ze monsta
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I've been to the Basque country, but we were in southern France, I think.

theneildeal
06-09-2008, 03:59 PM
yeah, it shares a border with france. I'd go, but its such a pain in the arse to get to, and i can't afford it/don't speak euskal/don't fancy camping for 5 nights. what can i say, im just not a festival kind of guy

JeanMi36
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm going to the Montreal Jazz Festival.

The Line up is incredible.

It's gonna be awesome. Taj Mahal, Al di Meola, Chick Corea, Marcus Miller, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Woody Allen, Dave Brubeck and many more. Check 'em out!

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2008/programmation/artIndex_en.aspx

theneildeal
06-09-2008, 05:04 PM
damn me not living in montreal!

Dimebag22
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm going to see, ummm let me see. No one!

:mad: I hate all of you who are going to see Clapton and Mayer and Buddy and... hell, I hate all of you who are going to see anyone that plays blues :p:

Hopefully I can convince someone to come with me to Blues Fest in Calgary. Or I should just fly somewhere and go to a concert with one of you people :p: No one that I know really likes blues. :(

theneildeal
06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
ill go to blues fest with you if you pay

GD_GC
06-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Dude, you should fly into Cinci and check out the blues fest here! :haha

Dimebag22
06-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Dude, you should fly into Cinci and check out the blues fest here! :haha
Dude, $7 to get in? That's a killer deal!
The Calgary one is like $110 or something for a 4 day pass, but if you just want a one day one it's like $40 per day. It's a fairly good line up though. http://www.calgarybluesfest.com/08lineup.php

I think I'm going to go to that one, just have to find someone to go with me for all four days!

ze monsta
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
^ I know a whole 5 of the bands playing there. :haha

Goldenad
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
i got to see eric clapton play last week

im going to Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee tomorrow where I will see:
- back door slam
- the raconteurs
- willie nelson
- BB king
- robert randolph
- derek trucks & susan tedeschi

also seeing john mayer twice in july

and then the black keys in august

and the allman brothers.

Punk_Ninja
06-11-2008, 07:17 AM
It's already gone but I was at the Rory Gallager tribute festival. Amazing experiance, I advise anyone to go, even if you aren't into gallagher, a lot of other music is played, but. . .there are alot of the. . .ani-social types who come just to get wasted.