Quick Blues Gear Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Blues Gear Thread

Blurry 505
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I was wondering what kinda amps everyone would recommend. I know this belongs in the Gear forum, but thought I would get much better responses here. I play SRV, Lang kinda blues. With a good touch of country to it. I play a Nasvhille Tele through a Digitech Hot Rod. Right now I have a microcube, but this things a pussy! Haha, I need a nice tube amp. I've been lookin at the Blues Junior NOS, but wanted to know what other amps to try. I'm heading down to the music store tomorrow, so any help would be awesome. Thanks guys!

And P.S. If this thread really really really doesnt belong here :peace: I'll delete it :cool:

LP51122
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
are you gigging at all?

imgooley
06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
The Blues Junior NOS is a beast of a 15 watter.

Personally, I am more inclined towards tweed fenders than blackface reissues. They have less sparkle, but they are warm and enveloping.

What's your budget and what sort of power are you looking for?

Rogue Hermit
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I personally like my Marshall tube combo amp a whole lot, the jcm2000 tsl-122. It all depends on your budget, because it's definitely more expensive than the Blues Junior. I play a lot of the same stuff you do, and my amp works great for me. Depending on where you play, too, a larger amp like my Marshall with two speakers may be better than a single speaker. Take the weight into consideration, too (haha, 65+ vs 31 lbs...).

Blurry 505
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
My budget is around $500, give or take about 50 or so. I dont play many gigs, I am heading up to college soon and will hopefully being doin some small stuff up there. I think a 15w or around that is enough power. I dont need a cab or anthing! Haha. Thanks for the immediate responses guys, this is awesome

Rogue Hermit
06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
well, if that's your budget, feel free to ignore my suggestion haha

imgooley
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I would definitely look into Epiphone amps. Great amps, and cheap considering the amount of pure tone they pump out.

The Valve Standard is a 1x12. It has 3 built in effects. The Chorus and Reverb are pretty good. 15 watts, and it gets loud. You could get an extension cab later on if you want. Runs about 300 new, but you could probably get it a bit cheaper if you know how to haggle.

The Blues Custom is a 15/30 watt amp that's switchable between class a and class a/b. This is the one that I'm getting. 2 channels, 3 band EQ, Spring Reverb, and you can run an extension cab out of it. It's a 2x12 and comes with eminence speakers (don't know much about speakers, but they sounded pretty good). Runs about 550 new, but again, you could probably haggle it down.

Both of those are very warm and dark. Similar to tweed fenders, but with a bit more of a growl than a pur.

The Blues Junior NOS is 1 channel, I believe, and I don't think it has the ability to run an extension cab. It has buttery cleans, a good top end and bottom end, and a kind of a warm midrange. Runs about 500 new. Built in reverb.

The Pro Junior is sounds like a cross between the Champion 600 and the HR deluxe. One channel, no reverb.

Then there's the Palomino V18. Shimmery cleans, class A, spring reverb. Single channel with a mid-treb boost switch. Kinda fendery, but a little creamier. Good amp, but Crate discontinued it, so you might not be able to find one.

Blurry 505
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey thanks a lot man!

And hows that Screamin' Blues pedal working for ya?

imgooley
06-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I love it. It's an Overdrive pedal that adds a bit of a mid warmth. You can also boost the gain if you want with it.

When I got it, I was actually planning on getting the Boss BD-2. I tried them out side by side, and though the tone was similar and the Boss had a bit more dirt in it, the Digitech has more tonal possibilities. If you want to hear what it sounds like, go ahead and take a listen to my recordings. I used it on all of them, mainly through the Black 2x12, Tweed 4x10, and the AC30TB channels on my Valvetronix.