buzz that STOPS when i touch the strings

PDA

View Full Version : buzz that STOPS when i touch the strings

jymellis
06-11-2008, 01:56 AM
ok. i have had the buzz that gets worse when you touch the strings. but this is opposite. i have a peavey patriot with a 3 way selector , a peavey super ferrite stok bridge pup and a emg hv in the neck. it buzzes very loud when im not touching it, but quiets up when im touching the strings. i checked and i have 1 ground going to the back of the trem. and a negative going from pot to pot. they all look pretty good. any ideas? i know its not my amp or cables because my brothers guitar on my setup is quiet.

jym

qstionauthority
06-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Is it like a feedback buzz, or a "touching the tip of the cable" buzz?

jymellis
06-11-2008, 02:13 AM
kinda like a " want to kik the speaker outta my amp buzz" lol. sorry bout that. more like a touching buzz. its that really loud annoying 1 pitch buzz. and its really bad when i dont touch anything. gets better when i touch the strings. and completely goes away when i touch the metal sheilding on the outer jack of my chord where it goes into the guitar. why do some pots have capasitors? my guitar has either capasitors or some sort of diode attached to the back of the pot. ive noticed other guitars without them. when i went to the music store and looked at replacement pots they didnt have any. do i have to have them? if i get new pots do i have to guess what diodes to get and where to solder?

jym

qstionauthority
06-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Are you talking about the caps that bleed out the treble frequencies on the tone knobs? Any guitar with a tone knob has those. It would be easier for you to go to a trained luthier/ electrician/ anybody who will know what they're doing. They'll have the right equipment to trace the signal and find where it cuts out. That will be you're defective component (if that's the case).

Moe.
06-11-2008, 02:21 AM
It's a grounding issue.
Happens to the best of us. Roll back on the volume when not playing, and move on.
Or invest in a noise suppressor.

jymellis
06-11-2008, 02:22 AM
thanks. i will prolly buy 2 new 250k pots from the shop for 5 bucks a piece. then rewire it using the existing input and pickup selector. i guess you answered my questions lol. thanks alot man. i wish there was a reputation system on here so i could give ya some points for that!

jym

Moe.
06-11-2008, 02:25 AM
You don't need to buy new pots. You can clean the pots you have now.
But like I said, it's a ground issue, it happens with 90% of guitars and is no biggie.

jymellis
It's a grounding issue.
Happens to the best of us. Roll back on the volume when not playing, and move on.

thanks. when people say they have cleaned the pots. what do they mean? dismantled and rubbed with isopropyl alchohol? i pretty good at electronics and wiring ( i build radio controlled cars) but alot of the guitar wiring has me wondering. i have opened it up. and i put in the emg. all wires look tight with a hot solder. but i noticed a couple of the caps or diodes are broken. but if i reconnect them the buzzing continues.

jym

jymellis
i mean what would i clean? theres no contact area that i can see.

jym

Moe.
06-11-2008, 02:26 AM
When cleaning a pot, it usually just takes a spray inside the pot with some type of spray.

jymellis
06-11-2008, 02:28 AM
i just did a search and read that. i have plenty of electrical contact spray. i think ill give it a shot of it tomorrow. any ideas on the capasitors?

jym

jymellis
06-11-2008, 02:30 AM
when i mess with the pots it gets alot worse and makes alot of noise. if i clean them u think it may help my problem?

jym

jymellis
06-11-2008, 02:33 AM
also. should each pot ground to the bridge or just have a ground that jumps from neg to neg on each pot then to the bridge?

jym

jymellis
06-11-2008, 02:42 AM
you guys are awesome! thanks alot. i checked the google for wiring diagrams and it looks like they are all relatively the same! i think im gonna but the new pots and rewire my guitar. then rebuild the pots for backups! thanks again

jym

hminh87
06-11-2008, 04:36 AM
you guys are awesome! thanks alot. i checked the google for wiring diagrams and it looks like they are all relatively the same! i think im gonna but the new pots and rewire my guitar. then rebuild the pots for backups! thanks again

jym
Once you did that please let us know if it worked or not. I am kinda having the same problem. Might be a EMG-HZ issues...

jymellis
06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Once you did that please let us know if it worked or not. I am kinda having the same problem. Might be a EMG-HZ issues...

i will let ya know. i know its not the emg causing the problem. it had the problem before i put that pup in. when i put it in is when i noticed the broken capasitor. after i clean the pots ill let ya know whats up with it.

jym

the memory
06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
my peavey wolfgang does it to
i bought an ISP decimator last week and it totally solved the problem.

jymellis
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
it just really urks me to have a buzzing guitar when i know the problem is my guitar. my brothers 150 dollar base model ltd is silent on my setup. if it were a distortion hum or something i wouldnt have a problem with it. but knowing its prolly a simple cold solder or a little booger in my pot making my guitar sound like crap really drives me crazy lol.

jym

slashs_#1_fan
06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
i had a guitar with the same problem. I got new pots, a new switch and new pickups and lined the cavities with copper shielding tape and still had buzz - it just happens. Not much that can be done (in the case of my guitar at least)

Bloodshed
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
If the cap is busted replace it....That certainly isn't helping things. THe guitar might need to be sheilded too. It would help a bit. Most of it is, as everyone else has said a grounding issue.

Bazilisck311
06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
ok. i have had the buzz that gets worse when you touch the strings. but this is opposite. i have a peavey patriot with a 3 way selector , a peavey super ferrite stok bridge pup and a emg hv in the neck. it buzzes very loud when im not touching it, but quiets up when im touching the strings. i checked and i have 1 ground going to the back of the trem. and a negative going from pot to pot. they all look pretty good. any ideas? i know its not my amp or cables because my brothers guitar on my setup is quiet.

jym

There's nothing wrong with your guitar. It's properly grounded. If it wasn't properly grounded, the buzz would get louder when you touched the strings. The strings get quieter when you touch them because your body acts as a source/radiator/reflector of electromagnetic interference. When you touch the strings, you ground your body and thus all the noise irradiating around you. In essence, your body acts as a shield.

You can reduce the amount of buzz when not touching the strings by properly shielding the guitar electronics and pickup cavities.

guitarman6486
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
It's a grounding issue.

he is exactly rigt on the amp that you are using is a 3 prong plug? cuz if its not theres your problem :peace:

Moe.
06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
he is exactly rigt on the amp that you are using is a 3 prong plug? cuz if its not theres your problem :peace:

The grounding issue would most likely come from the guitar, not the 2 prong plug.

jymellis
06-12-2008, 01:21 AM
all 3 prongs are on the plug. any good advise on what to sheild my pickup cavities with? ive never heard of this before.

jym

Moe.
06-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Pick up cavities? Not sure about shielding that. There was once a guy that shielded his control cavity with a couple of layers of tin foil though.

jymellis
06-12-2008, 01:30 AM
hmm i have metal based aluminum ducting tape. i went today to a local music store and asked for a 250k volume and tone pot. the guy said they dont sell them but for 65 bucks he would put them in for me lol. i was like umm sure hahaha. rite. ill go back to the other shop and get the 2 pots and rewire it. my pups have 3 wires each. will that matter for what pot i should pick or will they wire fine? i will be using my existing pickup selector (3way) and input .

jym

Bazilisck311
06-12-2008, 09:41 AM

If his amp wasn't properly grounded, he'd be getting zapped. If he was standing barefoot in water with one hand touching a metal pole and the other the guitar, he'd be bacon.

all 3 prongs are on the plug. any good advise on what to sheild my pickup cavities with? ive never heard of this before.

jym
Copper tape is probably the best material for reducing the buzz and is probably one of the easiest materials to use. A cheap alternative that's some what less effective is aluminum foil and glue. Make sure each piece is touching one another and that a ground wire is attached from the shielding in both the electrical and pickup cavities to your ground circuit

Minotauros
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Please forgive a total noob question (just got my electric guitar and amp and started lessons in February)...

What is a "pot"? And what is all this shielding we're talking about? I posted in another thread that last night (sorry for the cross-post) I heard a buzzing from my amp (just a little Marshall MG10CD that came with the guitar package) for the first time. The buzzing stops when I touch the strings, or stops randomly. The buzzing didn't happen in my lesson at the studio, so I'm pretty sure it's not the guitar.

Bazilisck311
06-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Please forgive a total noob question (just got my electric guitar and amp and started lessons in February)...

What is a "pot"? And what is all this shielding we're talking about? I posted in another thread that last night (sorry for the cross-post) I heard a buzzing from my amp (just a little Marshall MG10CD that came with the guitar package) for the first time. The buzzing stops when I touch the strings, or stops randomly. The buzzing didn't happen in my lesson at the studio, so I'm pretty sure it's not the guitar.
Pot is short for potentiometer which is a variable resistor used to control the output of a signal. In the electric guitar's case, potentiometers generally control the volume and tone of the guitar's signal, adjustable by the volume and tone knobs. Basically, Pots are a slang for the volume and tone controls on your guitar.

Shielding is the act of placing a material that blocks/reflects electromagnetic interference inside the guitar's electronics and pickup cavities. It has the effect of reducing the amount of electromagnetic interference sent though the output signal.

The buzzing you hear is the same as the threadstarter's buzz. It's electromagnetic interference and it's normal. When you touch the strings, your body acts as a shield by sucking up all the interference and sending it through the guitar's ground circuit. Studios are set up to eliminate electromagnetic interference as it will be audible in the mix. Hence, the buzz is less audible when playing there.

Minotauros
06-12-2008, 01:00 PM
OK, thanks for the info. Maybe I never noticed the buzz before.

KenG
06-12-2008, 03:28 PM
If you turn in a circle with your guitar and the noise levels change drastically, Bazilisck311 is probably right as EMI interfere is directional (I hope you're not near a computer monitor?) If not, what you're hearing is a ground problem, your guitar's ground is floating with respect to your amp's ground and the difference is the noise. When you touch the strings you are providing a better ground than the wiring currently is or loading down the noise hence the improvement. If you've got a DMM (multimeter) measure from your guitar strings/or bridge to the amp chassis when the guitar is plugged in. It should read a very low resistance of a couple of ohms maximum.

Bazilisck311
06-12-2008, 04:49 PM
If you turn in a circle with your guitar and the noise levels change drastically, Bazilisck311 is probably right as EMI interfere is directional (I hope you're not near a computer monitor?) If not, what you're hearing is a ground problem, your guitar's ground is floating with respect to your amp's ground and the difference is the noise. When you touch the strings you are providing a better ground than the wiring currently is or loading down the noise hence the improvement. If you've got a DMM (multimeter) measure from your guitar strings/or bridge to the amp chassis when the guitar is plugged in. It should read a very low resistance of a couple of ohms maximum.

The only time your body would act as a decent ground is if you were standing bare foot and naked in a puddle with your hand on a metal post cemented into the ground. In almost all cases, your body acts a shield by absorbing electromagnetic interference around you and sending it through the guitar's ground circuit. If there was a weak or missing ground connection within the circuit, the noise would get louder when you touch the strings, pots, bridge, etc.

This explains it better than I could:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php

KenG
06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Human beings often act as a ground not insulator which is why we get shocked so much!!

:-)

Minotauros
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
If you turn in a circle with your guitar and the noise levels change drastically, Bazilisck311 is probably right as EMI interfere is directional (I hope you're not near a computer monitor?)

Actually yes, I am near a computer monitor, and a TV, cable converter box, dvd player (running through a stereo receiver). OK, so the room is like Circuit City. :p:

And I just plugged in and turned on (sounds like something from Timothy Leary :D ), and there is absolutely no noise, buzz or hum. Just good sound from the guitar and amp.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's "transient" and intermittent emi. Weird.

Bazilisck311
06-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Human beings often act as a ground not insulator which is why we get shocked so much!!

:-)

They are a ground well enough to get shocked, but not enough to act as a ground for electromagnetic interference. The article touches upon this too.

jymellis
06-16-2008, 01:54 AM
well im gonna order new pots and caps from guitarfetish. after i slap them in ill line the caveties and let ya know what happens. just got an ibanez rg so im kinda jammin that. but i have plans for the peavey that should be pretty cool. anybody ever put an emg hv h3 in the neck of an rg? good sound?

jym

RIKKI_LEE
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Not to by rude or anything but Bazilisck311 is the only one that has the right answer...

hardcore0012
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I usually play my guitar near my laptop..i understand how my monitor could interfere and create buzzing, i wouldn't be creating permanent problems for guitar by doing so would I? or should i relocate my guitar immediately?

mamosa
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Pick up cavities? Not sure about shielding that. There was once a guy that shielded his control cavity with a couple of layers of tin foil though.

dmometalguitar on youtube, right?