Blues Duels Semi Finals: aetherspear vs. GD_GC

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels Semi Finals: aetherspear vs. GD_GC

GD_GC
06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Well I thought it was finally time to get this thing going again, so here we go! The semis, me vs. aetherspear!

GD_GC: "Messing with a slide 2 (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/GD_GC/)"

Aetherspear: "Poor Luck Blues (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/aetherspear/)"

May the best bluesman win!

:cheers:

Alex S.
06-13-2008, 09:02 PM
GD_DC gets my vote.

Bit more original in my opinion.
Don't hear too many good slide players here.

Nicely played! :cheers:

Dimebag22
06-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Awesome!!!

Well this is a really tough one guys. God damn, why do you have to make it so hard?! :p:

Eric: Loved the slide playing, a hell of a lot better than my slide playing :p: Some parts were a little sloppy but I know you had to make due because of you amp being broken and all. Overall I thought it was excellent, I was just waiting for the old haunting black man's voice to come in :p:

aetherspear: I really enjoyed that man, but one jam tends to get boring when it reaches the 4 - 5 min mark, unless you are an amazing guitarist. I really like your licks, and I can feel you trying to not make it boring, and I know that that is a really hard thing to do. Overall I really liked it man.

So I'm going to have to give this one to Eric. I really enjoyed both of them though, they were amazing.

imgooley
06-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Aetherspear. Volume swells win every time.

Sorry, Eric, but your slide playing was a bit dry. I could tell that some of the notes were a bit sharp or flat here and there, and they sounded out of place. You probably would have been better off with a heavier slide too. It sounded like you were using a thin glass one. Was that in open E?

GD_GC
06-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Open E yeah, and I had a big beefy glass slide I was gonna use, but I lost it. I had to use a thin metal one :sad:

But yeah, Aetherpear's track was beast, so we'll see how this one goes.

imgooley
06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
A steel one, I presume...

IMO, steel sounds terrible on acoustic. Way too bright and way too much noise. It'd make sense to use one, though, if you had low action. For acoustic, I use a monstrous brass slide. That thing weighs a good 7 ounces, if not more. Really brings out the warmth.

Just food for thought. Keep working on the slide playing. Check out Warren Haynes' hotlicks vid. It really helped me a ton. Pm me if you want a link.

slidething31
06-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Man I can't decide.

I love slide guitar. The slide playing was a bit sloppy, but the overall groove was pretty good.

Aetherspear's was good also. Some great licks in there, but at 6 minutes it was a couple minutes too long.

I might have to listen again later and then make up my mind and vote.

MrBlues
06-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Eric - Because although i thought aetherspear had better chops eric kept it together and sounded overall a better song, as poor luck blues i think got a bit draged out and lost its momentum.

theneildeal
06-14-2008, 11:53 AM
im personally a bit disappointed by this round. I think that previous rounds have been better. nevertheless, it was close.

Eric, im not much of a slide kind of guy, so it is always going to be difficult to win me over with a slide song. I think that the song sounded a bit like a spur of the moment jam, and only the pro's can pull that off. I understand that your amp is broken, and it would have been good to see how this contest would have gone had you had your amp. But i can't base my vote on what ifs.

Aetherspear, i think that the song was a bit drawn out, but that song is my kind of blues, so you get my vote.

aetherspear
06-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Man if I had known you were doing an acoustic number, I would've done one too to make it interesting. I agree that mine gets a little drawn out.

ze monsta
06-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Eric gets my vote, acoustic slide does it all the time. If this was Son House and Eric, the only way you'd know the difference is the tone, it was good/ Son House was never in tune. :haha

Sharck
06-15-2008, 02:25 AM
had to give it to GD_DC

Aetherspear plays the kind of blues I love, but GD plays with the kind of emotion I love. I just hope you can get that amp fixed before you go against Texas_db in the finals, his track from the UG album is climbing up my ipods 'most played' list.

aetherspear
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
we should've stickied this to attract attention, but either way congrats to GD.

Dimebag22
06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, we really should have. It got kinda lost in the mix there...

GD_GC
06-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey guys, finally back from my trip to Seattle. I guess I pulled this off, so the finals should be interesting! I just hope my amp is fixed soon, its still not finished :sad: