kahler tremolo for les paul?

PDA

View Full Version : kahler tremolo for les paul?

xxunder-takerxx
06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
how does a kahler tremolo attach to a les paul? it doesnt require any drilling or routing does it? I dont wana do any drilling for a bigbsy, plus i dont really like how they look. how much do they run for?

thanks all

salsawords
06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Kahlers cost well over a million dollars. If I were you I'd settle for the Bigsby.

darkevilxe
06-17-2008, 08:46 PM
No they don't. I just checked their site and they were about 230 dollars each.

grooveytigerrr
06-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Well you will have to take out some wood for a kahler (or any vibrato system really, that said the gibson systems only require drilling holes.) although its less wood than an FR apparently. Im guessing its because a kahler sits ON the body rather than sunk level into it.
IE like this one http://www.rockstarsguitars.com/product_details.php?c=1&prod_id=441&cat=26&scat=150&x=0&y=129

Price wise it really depends what model you want. Theres quite a few different ones. Last time i looked some of them ran a lot higher than OFR's although one thing i like about some of the kahlers is that you can switch between hardtail and vibrato.
Hope that helps.

xxunder-takerxx
06-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Kahlers cost well over a million dollars. If I were you I'd settle for the Bigsby.

thanks dick, bored much?

yea im looking for one that sits on top of the body. do they screw right into the tailpiece and bridge holes?

and whats the difference between a tremolo and a hybrid tremolo?

grooveytigerrr
06-17-2008, 09:18 PM
You will have to route out part of the body no matter which you get, although i dont know how the hard tail versions work but thats not the point here.
This page shows you what you need to route out . They sit on top of the body but still need routing to be done.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2007/Oct/Kahler_Hybrid_7300_Tremolo_Install.aspx

EDIT: Ill be honest, after looking at descriptions for the hybrids I cant figure out what makes a hybrid, i thought they were the models that could switch between hard tail and floating but didnt see it in the description. If someone knows what I missed please say cuz I cant see a difference apart from the way the "normal" ones look

xxunder-takerxx
06-17-2008, 09:23 PM
i kno that one needs to be routed, but im not sure about the lp model. i think im gonna go with the bigsby anyway. my friend puts one on every guitar and i guess they are ok

grooveytigerrr
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Just make sure you get the bigsby set up correctly or theyre hell apparently. Good luck either way. I want to use a kahler in a build of mine in the future so if you decide against the bigsby, be sure to post how it turned out!

xxunder-takerxx
06-17-2008, 09:27 PM
well i see the gibson shred-x has a tremolo on it and it doesnt need routing at all and it looks exactly like the kahler. once i confirm nothing needs to be done to the guitar ill get one and post how it is, if not, bigsby here i come.

thanks for the replies!

Davers440
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
The Kahler hybrids has a small set screw that will lock the trem. This is not something that can be done quickly.

LP Addict
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
The Kahler hybrids has a small set screw that will lock the trem. This is not something that can be done quickly.

yes it can, i have two, you tighten an allen wrenchscrew, retune your guitar, its stopped entirely. the kahlers do suck though. they are only good on guitars CAREFULLY PLANNED FOR AND BUILT FOR kahlers, because they are very strange devices, your neck has to be a different depth into the neck pocket because the strings will sit up so god damn high, the screws on the saddle adjustment are round-head so your string sits on them and get all ****ed up. you HAVE TO ROUTE for every kahler tremolo, every single one, one of their ads is slightly deceiving, but you do have to route a 1'' deep hole for every single one. the hybrids are just as good as the other ones, one is machine milled, one is hand milled, i know Wammi, hes a cool dude.

xxunder-takerxx
06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
yes it can, i have two, you tighten an allen wrenchscrew, retune your guitar, its stopped entirely. the kahlers do suck though. they are only good on guitars CAREFULLY PLANNED FOR AND BUILT FOR kahlers, because they are very strange devices, your neck has to be a different depth into the neck pocket because the strings will sit up so god damn high, the screws on the saddle adjustment are round-head so your string sits on them and get all ****ed up. you HAVE TO ROUTE for every kahler tremolo, every single one, one of their ads is slightly deceiving, but you do have to route a 1'' deep hole for every single one. the hybrids are just as good as the other ones, one is machine milled, one is hand milled, i know Wammi, hes a cool dude.

thanks a ton for the info, i guess ill stick with bigsby.

tikidrummer
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
have you checked into other cam-style tremolos. i know skyway is in the finishing stages of making one. you might want to wait and do some more research.

loonyguitarist
06-18-2008, 05:22 AM
You really don't seem impressed with Kahlers... and positive notes that'll make me feel better about buying one? :(

Davers440
06-18-2008, 08:13 AM
If you go with the 7200 you will be fine. I added one on Gibson Explorer and didn't have any of the problems listed above.

steven seagull
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
thanks dick, bored much?

yea im looking for one that sits on top of the body. do they screw right into the tailpiece and bridge holes?

and whats the difference between a tremolo and a hybrid tremolo?
If you want a trem that requires no routing then you're thinking of a stetsbar

http://www.stetsbar.com/

LP Addict
06-18-2008, 05:57 PM
You really don't seem impressed with Kahlers... and positive notes that'll make me feel better about buying one? :(

here is a positive note...

if you buy a gotoh floyd rose instead of a kahler, you save 30 dollars... 30 dollars is almost a full tank of gas, or a really cheap prostitute. I have another kahler, i am thinking about selling it because i dont want that piece of crap near any of my guitars. its black, hybrid flat-mount... interested? pm me.