Question about 12 bar blues licks.

PDA

View Full Version : Question about 12 bar blues licks.

Sharck
06-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey guys!

So I started working on my first ever original blues song and I hit a road block. When I'm playing a lick after vocals, I'm doing it in the key of that chord. So with my basic progression, which is:

G - C - G - D - C - G

So I sing the first line, do a lick in G. Then I sing the second line, do a lick in C. My first question is basically.. amidoinitrite?

My second question is, when I go from the D chord to the C chord, and I wanna do a lick in the middle, what key do I play it in? Like if the line was "I ain't seen my baby...In 99 and one half days"* in what key should the lick be in if its between the dots?

thanks in advance.

ZoSoBeatle
06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
i think you need to stick to one key to do it right. it looks like it would be G cos thats the predominant chord so try only playing licks in G.

MikeD91
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
to me the blues is just doing what you feel sounds good, just do what you think is better

Vagabond21
06-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Yes, doing "what sounds good" is always an option. But TS is wanting to know how to make it "sound good".

TS, some people will play a lick and end on the note they're switching to.

In your example you would end on a C note (but stay in the key of G).

That's the way I do it a lot of times when playing by myself.

p o e
06-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Yes, doing "what sounds good" is always an option. But TS is wanting to know how to make it "sound good".

TS, some people will play a lick and end on the note they're switching to.

In your example you would end on a C note (but stay in the key of G).

That's the way I do it a lot of times when playing by myself.
+1