Big Brother and the Holding Company

PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother and the Holding Company

slidething31
06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Awesome psychadelic blues rock band, and I didn't see a thread for them.

The only album I have of theirs is Cheap Thrills, which was with Janis of course. Summertime, Turtle Blues, and Ball and Chain are probably my favorites on there.

Anyone listened to any of their stuff post Janis? How is it?

Jimmy94
06-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Never listened to anything post Janis, but I'd probably like it better. I really don't care for Janis at all to be honest. The music backing her up is pretty good though.

TheHeartbreaker
06-21-2008, 03:26 PM
The only material by Big Brother and the Holding Company I own is as the backing band for Janis Joplin.

They're quite solid, really, and for that reason I do have an interest in their albums without Janis (towards whom I'm indifferent).

The National D
06-26-2008, 12:34 AM
It's a shame that finding anything other than their work with Janis is so hard... Sam Andrew is an incredible guitarist. I haven't heard anyone that sounds like his brand sonic psychedelic freakout. And I'm bucking the trend on Janis, I actually like her voice now I've found her stuff with BB.

Sir Anonymous
06-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are aware of it or not, but they're scheduled to play the Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival on the Saturday night.

The whole festival runs August 15-17. Website here. (http://www.rootsandblues.ca/)

Anyone going?

slparay
12-19-2013, 01:06 AM
The only material by Big Brother and the Holding Company I own is as the backing band for Janis Joplin.

They're quite solid, really, and for that reason I do have an interest in their albums without Janis (towards whom I'm indifferent).

I had the original album with the words on it, "Featuring Janis Joplin." New albums & CD cases don't have those words. BB wasn't good because of Janis...they made her look good. She was noticed for this album. When offered a album deal the lead guitarist (can't remember his name) left w/her. That is the reason they dropped off the map. Still love the album, however, & not because of her. Incidently, she didn't do much after BB either.