Top Must Listen To Blues and Jazz Albums

PDA

View Full Version : Top Must Listen To Blues and Jazz Albums

ccrnnr9
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey guys I am not sure if this has been done before but as my summer is rolling along and I realize more time on my hands, I am looking to acquire new albums. I am looking for input on good blues and jazz albums for guitarists to listen to. If you know of any or want to share some of your favorites I feel like this thread could be an archive for "essential listening" for this genre. Give me some feedback!
~Nick

Dimebag22
06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Eric Clapton - The Beano Album - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluesbreakers_with_Eric_Clapton

SRV - Texas Flood

SRV - El Mocambo (Get the DVD, it's amazing)

Eric Clapton and BB King - Riding with the King

the_axis
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
look in the suggested listening threads

GuitarNinja12
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
The hendrix blues CD is damn good. You cant fail with SRV or early zz-top either.

guerito
06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
find some Django Reinhardt stuff. The Verve Jazz Masters series has a great collection of his songs.

srvflood
06-19-2008, 06:54 PM
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

That's all I can think of now.

ccrnnr9
06-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Well I didn't realize there was a suggested listening thread...my bad. :/ O well in the meantime I guess it can't hurt to get some suggestions. Thanks!
~Nick

P.S. For jazz albums I should have specified to keep them ones that highlight guitar playing or have a significant amount of guitar.

shwilly
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
For some classic Progressive Jazz/Rock with BEE-OO tiful guitarwork on it listen to Focus. Either Moving Waves or Focus III are amazing.

Also, I'm becoming more and more interested in the genre which is commonly known as "gypsy jazz". Check out any Django compilation or some albums by Rosenberg Trio. This music is full of virtouse but catchy guitar melodies

And then there's the instrumental fusion jazz-guitarists like Al Di Meola or John McLauglin (I'm especially fond of their "guitar trio" albums with Paco de Lucía) or even Eric Johnson for that matter. I'm a sucker for his style though his music can be considered slightly more "general (instrumental) rock"