Blues under the stars?

PDA

View Full Version : Blues under the stars?

JilaX^
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM
So tonight while walking through the hallway I heard the soft splashing of rain. The clock was around 1.30 am, and I was thinking of going to bed soon. (I'm out of school, woo) But when I heard that rain splashing down I just had to go outside. The air was just si perfectly humid, and the temperature was just about right.

So in a spur of the moment I went inside. Grabbed an acoustic and sat down outside. Not in the rain of course, but on this terrace like entrace to our house. I ended up sitting there for almost 1 and a half hour just pouring my heart out singing and playing outside, in the middle of the night- I was feeling pretty down before this, so it was just what I needed. (I ended up getting a slide and messing around in DADGAD too, but I can't really plade with it =/) I just sat there, improvising songs, making up lyrics as I went, I played some spontaneous John Lee Hooker, all sorts of stuff. (Stormy Monday, of course ;))

So who else has done this? Just sat down outside and played some acoustic under the rain...

Share your experiences with this and just general awesome blues moments!

cashewchaching
06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
That's pretty awesome. Music tan be very cathartic that way.

hippieboy444
06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
i do that alot. only its not at night. I usually do folk though

Dimebag22
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Sometimes I like to sit under my deck (I have like a walk out with a deck above) and play blues. I just love the rain though, it used to rain here a bunch (about a week ago) but it was heavy, heavy rain. Next time it rains I'll be sure to do that though.

bender424
06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
the only thing i'm able to play , is some (very poor ) blues improvisation , so sometime I play blues under the sky at night ( with an unplugged epiphone SG ) ... I have no talent , but it's still so much fun . It's the only time I feel mindful , see what I mean ?

itsaplayonwords
06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
I usually walk in the rain and my mom yells at me because I will go out in thunderstorms and come home soaked. I have never played outside in rain but I will try, I have a screened in porch upstairs. Sweet. :)

psychokiller99
06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
i tried something similar. my buddy's band was playing a show on an outdoor stage. the morning of the show, we went out there and i plugged in turned it up and just wailed for like a half hour. it was pretty cool.

ze monsta
06-20-2008, 05:26 AM
I enjoy playing in the sun more.
It's really relaxing to go into my garden with my acoustic and play some Rev. Gary Davis and Blind Willie McTell. :)

But I remember the night I found out that my grandma had died early this year. We got home at like 11pm and I played slide in Open E right through to 2 in the morning, I stopped about twice. It's a strange thing to do, and in no way am I bragging, it's just a the most relieving thing I can do.

TheDev01dOne
06-20-2008, 06:46 AM
I prefer to play in the sunshine but I do like playing outside. Always go out and have a play when it's nice weather here, especially since we don't get it much. I can usually convince my girlfriend to play bass with me too which makes it even more fun.

gopherthegreat
06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I love playing outside. I've never done it in the rain, though, I'll have to try that sometime.

Dimebag22
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I might go out and play in the sun right now, it's a super nice day.

My parents are out tonight, so I'll probably go smoke a bowl then play some acoustic out in sun. :)

Thefallofman
06-20-2008, 03:14 PM
The night's the best time for some blues improv! I love sitting outside and playing, but I've never done it in the rain.

Jackal58
06-20-2008, 03:43 PM
You kids get in out of the rain. Geeez.
Nothing better than playing away a rainy day.

JilaX^
06-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Hmmm.

The next time it rains I think I'll do the same, except maybe I should just bring my Les Paul and wail...

But, I would really recommend this to anyone.

And Jackal, us crazy kids have nothing better to do ;)

The night's the best time for some blues improv! I love sitting outside and playing, but I've never done it in the rain.

You should definitely try it. I have no idea why I hadn't tried it before.

slidething31
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't about sittin out in the rain, but the place I used to live had a little roof garden type thing with a view of the ocean. I loved to go up there at night and play some acoustic blues.

imgooley
06-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Never play the guit-fiddle outside in the rain, but I have blown some harp.

j_hunter_hkr
06-20-2008, 06:19 PM
I often sit on my stairs and play endlessly. The acoustics in my hallway are amazing. It's just a nice thing to do.

JilaX^
06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Never play the guit-fiddle outside in the rain, but I have blown some harp.

Oh man, I need to pick up a harp sometime. I really need to learn how to play one = / Just for those summer trips where you can't bring the old git-fiddle.

TheHeartbreaker
06-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I have a screened in porch upstairs.

I have a screened-in porch that I have played on in the rain on several occasions.

Generally I just play spacey, abstract music just to enjoy myself.

The only thing that could better the experience would be if I had a hammock on my porch on which I could lie down and play.

HoneyFUZZ_123
06-25-2008, 06:48 AM
i really should try playin outside for once

mustaine34
06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Wow that's probably one of the coolest times to play the blues. I'm definitely gonna try that next time it's raining.