View Full Version : Artists similar to Tool/Pink Floyd/Deftones/Alice in Chains

amd123
06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Can someone recommend some bands similar to those listed in the title
and please no mega obvious ones like Metallica or Dream Theater
I'm into melodic instrumentals, heavy drumming, solos, prog, fast metal

dk2
06-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Between The Buried and Me, for the prog, melodic instruments, solos, metal and the drumming. Not really that similar to the bands you listed but they did a cover of Us and Them if that counts.

Metallist65
06-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Opeth. Idk. Be more specific. Wat kinda soundscape are you lookin for?

Metallist65
06-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Between The Buried and Me

Good band

Doodleface
06-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Vanden Plas
Between the Buried and Me
Protest the Hero

pepsi1187
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
googles good

drag_the_waters
06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Well, you say you like Tool. You might like A Perfect Circle. They're a different style from Tool but they've got the same singer. I'd suggest the songs Blue, Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm of The War Drums, The Hollow, Judith, and 3 Libras. For a band similar to Alice in Chains, i'd have to go with Godsmack.

frd_marshll
06-20-2008, 01:57 AM
smashing pumpkins

guitar_maiden
06-20-2008, 02:24 AM
I ws going to say Godsmack but I was beat to it...

break-me-in
06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Go to the recommendations thread in the Modern Rock forum. You'll get some very helpful answers there, judging by the bands you listed.

soundgarden19
06-20-2008, 10:39 AM
You could try Clutch.

Alucard II
06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm of The War Drumsthat is a horrible song. they ****ing raped one of their best tracks to make that. i love Pet, i detest Counting Bodies Like Sheep....

and threadstarter, listen to Three ;)

drag_the_waters
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
that is a horrible song. they ****ing raped one of their best tracks to make that. i love Pet, i detest Counting Bodies Like Sheep....

and threadstarter, listen to Three ;)

It may be horrible.... to you. That doesn't mean it's a horrible song. Pet is great as well. Counting Bodies is just different, I like it better than Pet.
And now you're probably going to say that i'm an idiot and have no taste in music but that's just because you're probably a prick. You know, it isn't a crime to like different music than other people.

Thefallofman
06-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Thrice.

/thread

Thrice=Pink Floyd 2008. Buy Vheissu and bask in the glory.

carrotcake
06-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I agree with everybody who mentioned Between the Buried and Me. :D

Alucard II
06-21-2008, 11:35 PM
It may be horrible.... to you. That doesn't mean it's a horrible song. Pet is great as well. Counting Bodies is just different, I like it better than Pet.
And now you're probably going to say that i'm an idiot and have no taste in music but that's just because you're probably a prick. You know, it isn't a crime to like different music than other people.a) i never claimed that what i said was anything other than my own opinion
b) of course you're welcome to your own opinion - i'm not so egotistical that i have to label anyone with with different taste than mine as an idiot, or tell them they're wrong - its down to personal taste after all
c) you're an idiot and have no taste in music. also, you're evidently quite presumptuous.

that said, i detest that song with a vengeance :p:

drag_the_waters
06-22-2008, 01:19 AM
a) i never claimed that what i said was anything other than my own opinion
b) of course you're welcome to your own opinion - i'm not so egotistical that i have to label anyone with with different taste than mine as an idiot, or tell them they're wrong - its down to personal taste after all
c) you're an idiot and have no taste in music. also, you're evidently quite presumptuous.

that said, i detest that song with a vengeance :p:

Umm, doesn't C completely contradict both A and B?
Unless you were trying to be sarcastic, or make a point. And I had a right to be presumptuous because the way you put it made it sound as if you were attempting to state that it was a fact that that song is horrible. That is not an opinion. An opinion would've been, "I for one don't like that song." You may have directed TS away from giving the song a chance, and forming his own opinion based upon listening to it for himself, by saying it the way you did. Now I don't care if he hates, he likes it, or if you hate it, it just sounded like a song he may enjoy based upon the bands/styles he listed.
And i apologize for misjudging you and thinking you were egotistical. I just thought you were one of the many people on these forums that would make a statement such as the one you did, and mean it the way I took it.

hb15577
06-22-2008, 03:16 AM
liquid tension experiment maybe rush, not that heavy though but progressive and it has solos

Alucard II
06-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Umm, doesn't C completely contradict both A and B?
Unless you were trying to be sarcastic, or make a point. And I had a right to be presumptuous because the way you put it made it sound as if you were attempting to state that it was a fact that that song is horrible. That is not an opinion. An opinion would've been, "I for one don't like that song." You may have directed TS away from giving the song a chance, and forming his own opinion based upon listening to it for himself, by saying it the way you did. Now I don't care if he hates, he likes it, or if you hate it, it just sounded like a song he may enjoy based upon the bands/styles he listed.
And i apologize for misjudging you and thinking you were egotistical. I just thought you were one of the many people on these forums that would make a statement such as the one you did, and mean it the way I took it.to be fair, i dont really blame you, knowing what *some* people are like on here. anywho, i second my own recommendation - 3 are great. ive been listening to the new album all week :D