CROTM: Jimmy Page (Detailed w/ many pics)

PDA

View Full Version : CROTM: Jimmy Page (Detailed w/ many pics)

Whole Lotta Led
06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I deleted the info in this thread as I felt it was too annoying to follow and read. So instead I created a webpage for all of the information I compiled. It's the same info that I posted here and then some... http://kozmicblues.webs.com/index.htm

Ippon
06-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Sweet!!!

:cheers:

zeppelinpage4
06-20-2008, 09:28 PM
:down: :down:

*subscribes*

The grin that popped onto my face when I read that title was priceless. :p:

Many kudos and thanks to WholeLottaLed. :cheers:

Edit: BTW it's not at all obsessive, if it is I don't need to be an average fan.

The_lizard_king
06-20-2008, 09:33 PM
he's got a nice set of teles, i love the telecaster.

Jayok
06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Nice Job I imagine that was a bit of work to do..

I know that you say at the end that he doesn't supply much info about studio gear but do you know what Tele he used to record Stairway to Heaven?

EDDIT I found the answer. It's a 1958 Telecaster EDIT

Whole Lotta Led
06-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Nice Job I imagine that was a bit of work to do..

I know that you say at the end that he doesn't supply much info about studio gear but do you know what Tele he used to record Stairway to Heaven?

Thanks. Most likely the Dragon Tele, that's the only one I'm aware of him owning at the time. It's going into the Supro as well according to him.

What does "CROTM" stand for? My guess is Celebrity Rig of the Month, but I'm just guessing.

Correct :D

Jayok
06-20-2008, 09:41 PM
What does "CROTM" stand for? My guess is Celebrity Rig of the Month, but I'm just guessing.

You would be correct

thefrigginbob
06-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Amazing read, thanks for taking the time to do a CROTM.

jimithrash
06-20-2008, 09:58 PM
that was good as, cheers!

also i remmeber seeing page on an old issue of guitar world, a black telecaster and a martin acoustic ( i assume these were used for the recording of stairway)

so it might be true that the dragon tele (which you assumed was the stair way solo guitar) got repainted black :)

ledroses23
06-20-2008, 10:21 PM
kudos man, thanks for a good read.

Esparko
06-20-2008, 10:31 PM
About time a new CROTM came up, good job in taking that initiative

Whole Lotta Led
06-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Glad everyone likes it! Hope nobody is on dial up with all the pictures :haha

I've been piecing most of it together since last month. If anyone has anything to add feel free to mention it.

:down: :down:

*subscribes*

The grin that popped onto my face when I read that title was priceless. :p:

Many kudos and thanks to WholeLottaLed. :cheers:

Edit: BTW it's not at all obsessive, if it is I don't need to be an average fan.

I knew you were probably waiting for something like this :haha

Jayok
06-21-2008, 12:36 AM
that was good as, cheers!

also i remmeber seeing page on an old issue of guitar world, a black telecaster and a martin acoustic ( i assume these were used for the recording of stairway)

so it might be true that the dragon tele (which you assumed was the stair way solo guitar) got repainted black :)

I wish it was but I did some research and the Dragon is a '61 and the Tele used for Stairway is a 1958

Wulver
06-21-2008, 12:40 AM
That was damn nice, man, damn nice. Much congratulations are in order for you.

Damn, I love that Dragon Tele.

Tubyboulin
06-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Good Stuff, very in depth :p:

The Danelectro guitar looks wierd haha, never really liked them.

6DgOfInTb
06-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Man, I haven't done so much reading in a long time. Good read, though. Tons of info!

zeppelinpage4
06-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Glad everyone likes it! Hope nobody is on dial up with all the pictures :haha

I've been piecing most of it together since last month. If anyone has anything to add feel free to mention it.

I knew you were probably waiting for something like this :haha
I've waited almost two years, searching for the Jimmy Page CROTM. :haha

My efforts of searching have finally come to an end. :p:

Stratopower
06-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow man, AMAZING. Thank you so much for all your effort! =]

Tom 1.0
06-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Wicked :)

nicely done

Gabel
06-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I have one small complaint...

It took me almost half an hour to read that!:peace:

But man was it awesome! Also interesting for me, since I did a CROTM on JP way way WAY WAY back and didn't have anywhere this much info.:cheers:

RicardoB
06-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Awesome thread for all us Pagey fans. I don't know if there's a way to give points like there is for contributions but you def. deserve many of them for all this work, especially putting together all the pics.

I have some info/circumstantial evidence to add regarding the Dragon tele:

While the Tele was drilled for string through, it was def a top-loader bridge. You can see that its a top loader in many pics and that it has holes drilled i think from the supershow portion of the DVD (not sure on that one). Another thing, from what I've read, it wasn't the body that was refinished by one of his "friends" but the neck. Jimmy didn't like how that turned out and decided to "retire" the body. Then the neck was later used on the Botswana Brown telecaster with the B-Bender. If you look at the picture of the Botswana Tele from the Oakland '77 show, the neck is a very unnatural color, and to me, it would make sense if that is what happened.

From everything I've heard this Tele was a late 58 or 1959 model, due to the fact that tele's were top-loaders at that time.

I'm currently building a tribute Dragon tele which you can check out my thread for.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850808

zeppelinpage4
06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
^ That guitar is awesome RicardoB, the dragon tele is probably my favorite Page guitar. Looking forward to see how it turns out, i've thought about buying a cheap telecaster kit and making it look like Jimmy's but I lack the talent and time. :p:

Looking forward to the finished project, i'm sure it'll sound great.

Whole Lotta Led
06-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Awesome thread for all us Pagey fans. I don't know if there's a way to give points like there is for contributions but you def. deserve many of them for all this work, especially putting together all the pics.

I have some info/circumstantial evidence to add regarding the Dragon tele:

While the Tele was drilled for string through, it was def a top-loader bridge. You can see that its a top loader in many pics and that it has holes drilled i think from the supershow portion of the DVD (not sure on that one). Another thing, from what I've read, it wasn't the body that was refinished by one of his "friends" but the neck. Jimmy didn't like how that turned out and decided to "retire" the body. Then the neck was later used on the Botswana Brown telecaster with the B-Bender. If you look at the picture of the Botswana Tele from the Oakland '77 show, the neck is a very unnatural color, and to me, it would make sense if that is what happened.

From everything I've heard this Tele was a late 58 or 1959 model, due to the fact that tele's were top-loaders at that time.

I'm currently building a tribute Dragon tele which you can check out my thread for.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850808

The Botswana Brown Tele had a maple neck on it during 1977 that's why it might have looked so different to you, I need to go back and add that. That maple neck had the string ferrule in a different location as well so it's definitely not from the Dragon Tele. Supposedly the rosewood neck that was later added in 1979 was the neck from the Dragon Tele, certainly looks like it might be it. The story about the body being painted by some roadie definitely seems to be just a story. I can't remember the guy's name, maybe an old tech of Jimmy's, but he said Page had the body from the Dragon Tele stored away.

As far as the year goes, I always heard the top loader bit lasted through 1960. John Owen, a bandmate of Jeff Beck purchased the guitar new in '61 before giving it to Beck who would later give it to Page in 1966. There were definitely top loaders in '58 and '59 like you said. Someone on another forum brought up the neck size too, making it seem more like a '60 or '61.

I have one small complaint...

It took me almost half an hour to read that!:peace:

But man was it awesome! Also interesting for me, since I did a CROTM on JP way way WAY WAY back and didn't have anywhere this much info.:cheers:

:haha

:cheers: !

ClassicRock1169
06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
BUmp

Gabel
06-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Actually with the revival of the CROTMs...

I'm thinking about doing one myself! Of Eric Clapton (early days). Considering I know a lot about it, why not? I'll make one JUST as good!

zeppelinpage4
06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
^ Ah this will be interesting, might as well have one of us do Jeff Beck while we're at it. :p:

sepultura alma
06-22-2008, 04:29 PM
thats awesome man, good on you for taking the time to put it together =D

Gabel
06-22-2008, 04:53 PM
^ Ah this will be interesting, might as well have one of us do Jeff Beck while we're at it. :p:

311ZOSOVHJH
06-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Very nice Whole Lotta Led and can't think of anyone better to do it than you.

I love that B-Bender Tele.

I bet I know what that other forum is. I doubt I have any photos that you do not already have.

Thanks!

*subscribes*

Whole Lotta Led
06-22-2008, 05:07 PM
:cheers: everyone!

wolfy808
06-23-2008, 06:46 AM
I think this should be stickied.

Whole Lotta Led
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
^I tend to agree :p:

Green_Jelly
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
You should write a goddamn book on this subject. Nice one. :cheers:

GoDrex
06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
That was awesome. Thanks for that. :)

Gabel
06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
^I tend to agree :p:

+1

PM the mods!

Say that I have one I can do too! I'm getting farily far on it! However my writing has been halted....

With the arrival of my iMac! So I have to transfer it here and keep on writing.

311ZOSOVHJH
06-24-2008, 01:13 AM
I agree that it should be stickied. Very detailed and well written. I don't know what it takes, I guess it is a mods descision. With the O2 show last December and rumors of a reunion tour it seems fitting to do it now.

you have my vote bro

YEY....Stickiness!

Whole Lotta Led
06-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Looks like someone stickied it! :cheers: to whoever did it!

breadstick
06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Holy ****, now THAT is a guide! Awesome stuff man.

The white strat puzzles me. It doesn't have the pickguard with the screw between the neck and middle pickups, and so it's not a 62ish model. But it's got a 3 ply pickguard, so it isn't a 52ish one either. And is it just me, or does that neck look like flamed maple?

I THINK it might be a newer strat.. Perhaps some sort of deluxe type?

HeliuM
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Awesome stuff. Kinda shocked the AC30 wasn't mentioned for anything specific. My friend got a newer ac15cc a few weeks ago, it's amazing how Page-like it sounds.

buzz
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
WOW

I dont like Led Zeppelin or care about them in any way to be honest, but you sir deserve a huge pat on the back for this article!

You did a great job!

zeppelinpage4
06-26-2008, 02:57 AM
I think I just noticed this now but Syd Barret also had a white Telecaster with reflective circles.

Anyone else noticed that? Very odd coincidence, I guess it could have been a popular thing to add to guitars then.

forsaknazrael
06-26-2008, 03:39 AM
best crotm ever. :cheers:

Question, though: Why is the Supro Thunderbolt ruled out?

Whole Lotta Led
06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
best crotm ever. :cheers:

Question, though: Why is the Supro Thunderbolt ruled out?

Well, the Supro Page bought in '61 seems to be the same one he used for the first album, he supposedly bought it at Selmers Music in England with Albert Lee. The Thunderbolt didn't come out until '64. I guess technically that doesn't rule it out 100% but there's really nothing to back up the claim he even owned, yet alone used a Thunberbolt. I'm not even sure where the Thunderbolt suggestion originated.

Also another little bit about the Supros, Page always described it having a single 12" speaker. The Thunderbolt used a 15". The Coronado used two 10" speakers, the theory for the Coronado was he just modified it for one 12". I'm not aware of him ever mentioning swapping speakers in the Supro though, all we get from him is "a small Supro with a 12" speaker" :p:

wolfy808
06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Good to know My suggestions don't go to waste here.

Very nicely done Led.

forsaknazrael
06-26-2008, 10:41 AM
^^Hm, okay, that sounds good to me! Thanks!

beavers333
06-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Amazingly good job mate. Fantabulous.

Mongoose87
06-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Wasn't the Dragon Tele stolen, not put into storage?

Whole Lotta Led
06-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Wasn't the Dragon Tele stolen, not put into storage?
No. It's not the first time I've heard that either, it's not true. I'd like to know where that one got started. :p:

Phillitalian
06-28-2008, 01:38 PM
wow, i just read the entire thing...

and i didnt even try to ignore Plant

goodwood
06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Awesome thread. Good job.

fab2322
06-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I thought I read or herd somewhere that the dragon Tele was stolen. I guess where I herd or read that was wrong. Thanks for a great post.

JDizzle787
07-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Great job man. And whilst not on topic with the "classic" rock guitarists, but it just dawned on me that for upcoming CROTM's, if anyone knows who I'm talking about, They're going to have a hell of a time doing Josh Homme's (Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Desert Sessions)

Satchafunkilus
07-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Wow that was amazing, I learned quite a bit about Jimmy Page.

Whole Lotta Led
07-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Hmm going back through some interviews, Jimmy did indeed mention a friend screwing up the Dragon Tele's body by painting over it but it is NOT the body to the B-Bender Tele. Might have to go back and add that :eek:

Kartman
07-03-2008, 01:33 AM

Excellent job friend on one of rock's truest heroes and one of my favorites!

G-Gilles
07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
wow, nice work! you could comprise that into a book, make loads of money and move to a small private island. when you do, you owe me a tenner...

zooLemon
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do that! Great read.

Cachao
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
yes thanks for the excellent CROTM-what does CROTM stand for?

Cachao
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
wow, nice work! you could comprise that into a book, make loads of money and move to a small private island. when you do, you owe me a tenner...
erm LOL

Whole Lotta Led
07-11-2008, 04:08 PM
yes thanks for the excellent CROTM-what does CROTM stand for?

Celebrity Rig of the Month

MoonageDaydream
07-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Amazing CROTM, but anyone know teh cheapest MKII clone out there?

Woozye
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Fantastic Thread ! Congratulations for the awesome job :D

Shabalaba
07-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow a lot of detail, 3 kudos from me

Whole Lotta Led
07-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Amazing CROTM, but anyone know teh cheapest MKII clone out there?

The first one that springs to mind is the BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) MKII. They sell the kit for $100 and prebuilt for $130. The MJM Britbender Original is $180. They also make a MKIII as well. Throbak makes the Stonebender, I think that is $180, it's a little more than just a MKII clone. There's loads of other clones, some are very pricey like Pro Analog or DAM. :p:

Building your own from scratch (not a kit) is the cheapest way. Watch eBay as well, sometimes people will sell their own clones and generally they won't bring much more than $80.

MoonageDaydream
07-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, thanks very much man.

Dance_of_Death
07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Wow is all that comes to mind. Awsome work. Now i know more than i will even want to know about Page. The pictures of him with a beard are weird though, i don't picture the beard when i think Page.

Amazing work! :)

FloyDZeD
07-16-2008, 12:50 AM
You sir, have outdone yourself on this. Great job!

MetalGear1786
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
What amps did he use for the 07 show? I saw 4 Orange amps, 2 marshalls, There were two more I couldnt ever get a good look at... I couldnt remember ever seeing them before.

Whole Lotta Led
07-18-2008, 09:28 PM
The Petersburg amps are the ones you're thinking of.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm22/ledzeppy/led-zeppelin-colour452.jpg

By the way I'm working on post-Zep gear at the moment which I'll add at little later to this thread.

MetalGear1786
07-18-2008, 09:28 PM
What amps did he use for the 07 show? I saw 4 Orange amps, 2 marshalls, There were two more I couldnt ever get a good look at... I couldnt remember ever seeing them before.

BTW great article!!! The dragon Tele is sooo nice. Why havent they done some kind of, special edition or something of that? They always focus on the Les Paul.

MetalGear1786
07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
The Petersburg amps are the ones you're thinking of.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm22/ledzeppy/led-zeppelin-colour452.jpg

By the way I'm working on post-Zep gear at the moment which I'll add at little later to this thread.

O_____O; That was quick lol. Anyways I havent ever seen one of those?? I thought it might have been one of those Sovetek amps or something. Thanks man!!! I been trying to figure that out since 3 am when all the vids from the show started hitting youtube lol!! Damn it Fender make a JP Dragon Tele!!! Grr...

Whole Lotta Led
07-18-2008, 09:41 PM
The O2 gig was the first I ever seen one too. I'll have to go back through that and see if he even used them. And good question, I really have no clue why Fender never made a replica or something of the Tele.

Gabel
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
My Eric Clapton rig is done now!

Here it is:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913820

Check it out :cheers:

Whole Lotta Led
07-20-2008, 06:34 AM
In regards to the bridge pickup that is currently in Jimmy's #1, I've heard rumours it may be a SD '59 with a alnico 3 magnet

Heard the same, certainly plausible. The Gibson replica uses a Burstbucker with an alnico 3 magnet so there could be some truth behind that.