What The Heck Is Emo?

PDA

View Full Version : What The Heck Is Emo?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

init4thefashion
12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
a copy like your music?

Slut
12-08-2004, 09:43 PM
exactly.

Andrewbiles
12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Woah, ladies, shemales, he/shes, men, boys, girls, whatever, calm down. I feel this place is starting to need a dose of the 70s to bring back the love.

Originally posted by Vicious Sid
From the Deja Entendu lyric booklet:

Listen to: Lifetime, Built to Spill, Hotrod Circuit, Foo Fighters, The Movielife, Coldplay, Elliot Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Orange Island, The Reunion Show, Sigur Ros, Modest Mouse, Finch, Ron Sexsmith, Taking Back Sunday, The Smiths, Mogwai, The Exit, Drawn From Endings, Squeeze, The Fight, U2, Glassjaw, Crime In Stereo, Nirvana, Scraps and Heartattacks, and Hand to Hand Combat

Score one for Landon.

Don't mean to be rude, but Brand New went sh*t with 'Deja Entendu', their listenings that you've quoted there include classic rock, modern rock, emo, indie, alternative, grunge, experimental. Emo now-days may be influenced slightly by Nirvana, but the roots existed before Nirvana, and so emo was "created" with no Nirvana in sight, so modern emo must majorly be influenced by the original innovators of emo.

Look, Mr. Emo Historian, Brand New are influenced by Nirvana, and if I have to look through every interview Jesse ever did, I'm gonna prove it to you.

No you're not, because that'd be both boring for you and for us. Jesse whoever is not the creator of emo, nor are Brand New the only emo band around. So what if Brand New is influenced by Nirvana, does anyone truly give a sh*t?

Jello6025
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
emo may be emo. but the fashion/emo kids/most music/bands are ****.

Vicious Sid
12-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Whoa now, Andrew, I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. I'm not trying to prove that Nirvana created emo, I'm simply trying to establish a connection between Nirvana and what many people consider the fathers of modern emo, Brand New. If Mike can write a whole goddamned article on where emo came from, I think I can add in my two cents. This thread's not just for kids to say "Good article, man", and scurry back off to the modern rock forum.

Also, you have to realize that classic emo and modern emo aren't the same thing. I'm not discussing SDRE or RoS here, I'm talking Brand New. If you don't like that, fine, but you don't have to act like the rest of the elitists in here. Whether you like them or not, Brand New have played a major role in emo's development over the past few years, so I'm sure it must be pretty important to discuss their influences as it is all those classic emo bands'. It's like comparing Led Zeppelin and the Foo Fighters; in 15-20 years, they'll both be of equal importance to the rock of that generation, but at the same time their influences are extremely different. If Brand New's influences aren't important, then neither are any of the other emo bands' we've been discussing.

init4thefashion
12-09-2004, 11:27 PM
^well, either that, OR, if I didnt argue than this thread would be dead, either is a valid conclusion

Andrewbiles
12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Whoa now, Andrew, I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. I'm not trying to prove that Nirvana created emo, I'm simply trying to establish a connection between Nirvana and what many people consider the fathers of modern emo, Brand New. If Mike can write a whole goddamned article on where emo came from, I think I can add in my two cents. This thread's not just for kids to say "Good article, man", and scurry back off to the modern rock forum.

Also, you have to realize that classic emo and modern emo aren't the same thing. I'm not discussing SDRE or RoS here, I'm talking Brand New. If you don't like that, fine, but you don't have to act like the rest of the elitists in here. Whether you like them or not, Brand New have played a major role in emo's development over the past few years, so I'm sure it must be pretty important to discuss their influences as it is all those classic emo bands'. It's like comparing Led Zeppelin and the Foo Fighters; in 15-20 years, they'll both be of equal importance to the rock of that generation, but at the same time their influences are extremely different. If Brand New's influences aren't important, then neither are any of the other emo bands' we've been discussing.

Brand New aren't the ones that broke emo into the mainstream in my opinion. Brand New's 'My new favourite weapon' was hidden from a lot of the public's eye when it was released, but it was much better than a lot of stuff around at the time, and I doubt they'd claim the same influences for that record as 'deja entendu'. Finch were the breakers of emo. I caught onto 'what it is to burn' quite quickly after amazon.com recommended it to me over the stuff I had been buying, and I slowly saw them break out, Brand New were left far behind, known by few until MTV started playing 'the quiet things that no one ever knows', when I felt 'my new favourite weapon' was some of the greatest stuff I'd heard, then hearing this song it destroyed them for me.
Finch owe more of a part to emo becoming successful than Brand New, surely most people can see at least that. Then once they were noticed, bands like The Used and Taking Back Sunday appeared, Brand New took a heck of a lot later to break out.
What about Weezer as well, most people claim them to have a large dosage of emo in their music (although I don't agree so much), but the Blue album was like the transition album of emo, and that was in 1995 I believe, setting the stage for emo of the future.
I'm not disregarding Brand New as a major player in the emo scene at all, I'm just trying to point out that they once the scene had become more mainstream.

redrumydoolb
12-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Danny7
Nirvana infulenced all forms of rock, music and the world.

And I'm not the biggest Nirvana, and in fact, I find them very mediocre.

But just from looking at facts you can see how much of an effect they had on early 90's teenagers and rock music on the whole.

They may not have directly influenced it as such, but they definately had a part to play.

i'd have to say you make a valid point. i'm not a huge fan of nirvana but i can see the similarity's in songwriting. they may not have effected emo directly but they definitely could have influenced it somewhat.

kryptonite22
12-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by andrewbiles
Brand New aren't the ones that broke emo into the mainstream in my opinion. Brand New's 'My new favourite weapon' was hidden from a lot of the public's eye when it was released, but it was much better than a lot of stuff around at the time, and I doubt they'd claim the same influences for that record as 'deja entendu'. Finch were the breakers of emo. I caught onto 'what it is to burn' quite quickly after amazon.com recommended it to me over the stuff I had been buying, and I slowly saw them break out, Brand New were left far behind, known by few until MTV started playing 'the quiet things that no one ever knows', when I felt 'my new favourite weapon' was some of the greatest stuff I'd heard, then hearing this song it destroyed them for me.
Finch owe more of a part to emo becoming successful than Brand New, surely most people can see at least that. Then once they were noticed, bands like The Used and Taking Back Sunday appeared, Brand New took a heck of a lot later to break out.
What about Weezer as well, most people claim them to have a large dosage of emo in their music (although I don't agree so much), but the Blue album was like the transition album of emo, and that was in 1995 I believe, setting the stage for emo of the future.
I'm not disregarding Brand New as a major player in the emo scene at all, I'm just trying to point out that they once the scene had become more mainstream. I totally agree with that. I think Finch were major players in bringing emo to the mainstream, Brand New weren't around (in the mainstream) until after bands like Taking Back Sunday had appeared. After Finch, TBS, FFAF, BN and The Used had been around for a while the copycats started to surface. But for me, Finch were the first proper emo band I ever got into. I remember that distinctly. I also agree with the part about Weezer, I see them really as just a rock band, not necessarily emo or pop-punk or whatever, but just as a rock band that influenced other, later bands. Nirvana I don't think really influenced styles of music, more people, and those people are all involved with different music genres, not just emo.

redrumydoolb
12-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by kryptonite22
I totally agree with that. I think Finch were major players in bringing emo to the mainstream, Brand New weren't around (in the mainstream) until after bands like Taking Back Sunday had appeared. After Finch, TBS, FFAF, BN and The Used had been around for a while the copycats started to surface. But for me, Finch were the first proper emo band I ever got into. I remember that distinctly. I also agree with the part about Weezer, I see them really as just a rock band, not necessarily emo or pop-punk or whatever, but just as a rock band that influenced other, later bands. Nirvana I don't think really influenced styles of music, more people, and those people are all involved with different music genres, not just emo.

well said and i completely agree. the reason people think brand new is the major reason emo is so hot is because they are just damn good. but they weren't the ones that made it big. that belongs to finch.

init4thefashion
12-14-2004, 05:28 PM
arent you missing fat mike on mtv news break^

discobobo
12-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Another "Emo" type band before emo was even a style was The Cure, Robert Smith Is the master of emotions, and was "Emo" without knowing.

init4thefashion
12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
the cure are pop

discobobo
12-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by init4thefashion
the cure are pop

Are You Mentally Handicapped!!!!!!! Pop???? How Are They Pop! They Were Originally Labeled As New Wave, And Pop Only Because At The Time There Was No Such Thing As Emo Or Alternative Seeing As In The 80's They Were One Of The Bands Helping Create Alternative Music And Robert Smith Is The Master Of Emotions, And The Cure Is The Best "Emo" Band Because Now You Can Classify Them As An Emo Band.

Andrewbiles
12-16-2004, 09:58 AM
The Cure are neither emo or pop.

kryptonite22
12-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by discobobo
Are You Mentally Handicapped!!!!!!! Yes, I expect he is :rolleyes:

I always heard the Cure referred to as Goth...but that just mde me laugh.

Andrewbiles
12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
^ They are very goth though. Goths don't tend to listen to death metal music the whole time like a lot of people think, they like quite a bit of "indie".

Same Old Sound
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
I love The Cure, but they are extremely hard to place. But definelty not pop!

kryptonite22
12-16-2004, 01:31 PM
^ They are very goth though. Goths don't tend to listen to death metal music the whole time like a lot of people think, they like quite a bit of "indie". I just can't see them being Goth though. I mean, I know that's what I lot of people label them as and I'm not fighting that, it's just more the image that's Goth than the music. If you heard the songs on a radio, you wouldn't think "Goth". Or I wouldn't. Then again, I'm not really an expert on them!

Andrewbiles
12-16-2004, 04:21 PM
^ Nah, nor am I, not really a fan to be honest, but I know what you mean, just goth music generally doesn't sound how you'd expect it to sound.
Just looked on allmusic.com and they describe them as......

Alternative Pop/ Rock
Goth Rock
Post-Punk
New Wave
College Rock

...... overall, I think that sums them up pretty well.
But still, absolutely not emo.

init4thefashion
12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
pop means popular, who didnt listen to the cure in the 80s

Andrewbiles
12-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Yes pop does mean popular, but everything popular is not pop, therefore pop must have some kind of a defined sound.

Slut
12-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by discobobo
Are You Mentally Handicapped!!!!!!! Pop???? How Are They Pop! They Were Originally Labeled As New Wave, And Pop Only Because At The Time There Was No Such Thing As Emo Or Alternative Seeing As In The 80's They Were One Of The Bands Helping Create Alternative Music And Robert Smith Is The Master Of Emotions, And The Cure Is The Best "Emo" Band Because Now You Can Classify Them As An Emo Band.

Do You Have To Use A Capitol On Every Word? Are You Just Trying To Annoy Us? Because It Is Working!/1?1;'1/21 OMG

Andrewbiles
12-17-2004, 11:23 AM
^ Haha, didn't notice that before, that's amusing. Must make it take so much longer typing it out.

redrumydoolb
12-18-2004, 11:00 PM
arent you missing fat mike on mtv news break^
ouch duke, that hurts!!!:( i don't watch mtv. hell, i don't even have mtv. and i'm not a big fan of fat mike or nofx either.

init4thefashion
12-18-2004, 11:07 PM
that wasnt directed at u you just posted before I finished my post or something it was ment for someone before you

redrumydoolb
12-18-2004, 11:18 PM
^ oh okay, my apologies.

Violenta
12-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by dai the flu
i think you shouldve mentioned summore modern bands other than thursday and brand new, but its all good. nice job :-)

Elliot Smith........yes, yes.

Violenta
12-19-2004, 12:25 AM
Really though I liked it.

Andrewbiles
12-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Elliott Smith is (I should really say 'was' there) an indie/alternative man, not emo.

thewho4u
12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
woo

thevirus299
12-22-2004, 11:47 AM
milkshakes used to be emo.............

Imalwayzthere
12-25-2004, 03:04 AM
I liked it now i kinda know what the **** emo is wow! cool! So i guess like emo and metal or screamo or music like that is kinda the same.... metal -emo emo-metal? awesome though thanks 4 posting that!

sukerpunch17
12-26-2004, 11:44 AM
EMO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

FLbassist005
12-27-2004, 04:33 PM
its about f****** time sum1 did this. thanks man

Rngd595
01-01-2005, 08:53 AM
amazing

ghettohippygrrl
01-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Personally, when I label something emo, I base it on the singing. To me, Weezer isn't emo at all. Emo to me sounds like the dudes from Saves The Day or Feeling Left Out to some degree. The way emo singers sing is different than any other genre. And Dashboard might not have that strong, yelling style but he still whines when he sings. It's a mix of whiniess and aggressive, forceful singing if you ask me. It blurs along the lines of punk, the subject matter and instrumentation defining where it fits. Perhaps I am wrong, but it feels most logical to me.

SilentSpectacle
01-02-2005, 07:27 AM
really loved the submitted article.

Chen928
01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ghettohippygrrl
Personally, when I label something emo, I base it on the singing. To me, Weezer isn't emo at all. Emo to me sounds like the dudes from Saves The Day or Feeling Left Out to some degree. The way emo singers sing is different than any other genre. And Dashboard might not have that strong, yelling style but he still whines when he sings. It's a mix of whiniess and aggressive, forceful singing if you ask me. It blurs along the lines of punk, the subject matter and instrumentation defining where it fits. Perhaps I am wrong, but it feels most logical to me.

Hah, finally, someone who labels bands not by their history, but by what they sound like. I do it sometimes.

I personally think of Emo as anything that has punk undertones, but an fleshed-out melody on top, and it's usually serious, invoking manytimes irrational and passionate feelings.

Weezer feels too... "rock" to be emo for me.

I'm reading this, and I realize that I don't really make much sense, but it's late, so please excuse me.

Andrewbiles
01-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by sukerpunch17
EMO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

*Warned*

kLoNe
01-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

jedi8804
01-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Everyone should read this.

MrLucky77713
01-15-2005, 12:51 PM
^Shut up, stupid. That's totally unnecessary.

*Reported*

Andrewbiles
01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Post deleted, couldn't be bothered warning.

Vicious Sid
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Haha...Now it looks like Mr. Lucky is ripping on an innocent newb.

sp0ng3b0b r0cks
01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
thanx i didnt read it but im sure its great.

EmoJew
01-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks duke....youre a good man...good stuff

scousertommy
01-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Very very well put there when you said that the fad is HATING emo. Good work. Emo deserves respect.

jestermasterx
01-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Sorry, but could someone please clear up what emo actually stands for?

I'm confused because so far I've heard:
emotional hardcore
emotional punk
emotional rock
emotionally-charged punk rock
emotional

Any help is appreciated.

Andrewbiles
01-25-2005, 06:22 AM
^ Emotional hardcore

somepunkkid
01-25-2005, 09:41 PM
emo is to punk as crossroads is to movies

init4thefashion
01-25-2005, 11:03 PM
how clever

somepunkkid
01-25-2005, 11:37 PM
great comeback

init4thefashion
01-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Comeback?

Am I emo?

I'm pretty sure out of all the defenitions I've heard of emo my names never come up, how wierd huh?

Why is a comeback needed?

In short: your pathetic

We see 10 of you a day, IM SO PUNK GREEN DAY ROCK ON LOOK FOR ME ON TRL IM IN THE BLACK GOOD CHARLOTTE SHIRT!

screw off, garner attention elsewhere

Reported

Vicious Sid
01-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by somepunkkid
emo is to punk as crossroads is to movies
Rage Against the Machine, The Beatles, the Ramons, the clash, GNR, Velvet Revolver, Green Day, Sublime, Motely Cru, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, the list goes on and on and on.

My God! How punk! You're like, so punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk like black wristbands, motherfu<e>cker! Fuc<e>k yeah, punk!

MrLucky77713
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Emo::Punk
English::Latin

somepunkkid
01-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Rage Against the Machine, The Beatles, the Ramons, the clash, GNR, Velvet Revolver, Green Day, Sublime, Motely Cru, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, the list goes on and on and on.

My God! How punk! You're like, so punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk! Punk like black wristbands, motherfu<e>cker! Fuc<e>k yeah, punk!

did you read the other thing dumass it said i got my name from my friends. im not a punk, however i do like most punk rock and im talkin about the real stuff like the clash not bullshit like good charlotte. however i met the members of greenday because the live in my town. theyre nice guys, so i guess i like them. anyways you should think about reading the whole profile befor you say something stupid you dumbshit

init4thefashion
01-27-2005, 12:36 AM
first off ur profile says nothing explaning this being your friends username so, so much for that excuse

second, your calling him a dumbass and you cudnt even figure out how to make your own account

case closed, stop spamming my thead, i'm duke

somepunkkid
01-27-2005, 12:56 AM
well forget it because if i say this itll sound like bull**** anyway but yesterday i did have something about it in it, but i changed my infor this morning well before i made the seccond post. w/e. anyways i dont even remeber what im argueing about so forget it.

-EDIT-
even though i dont like it, it is still a form of music, which is more than i can say for pop punk, and for that i can say i respect it. even if it is only a little respect. :peace:

scousertommy
01-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Same Old Sound
I love The Cure, but they are extremely hard to place. But definelty not pop!

The cure were romanticism or something along those lines, 'new wave' romanticism or something. I dont care tho, dont even like 'em.

somepunkkid
01-27-2005, 11:42 AM
^well if it was romantic couldnt that also make it emo...

Vicious Sid
01-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by somepunkkid
i do like most punk rock and im talkin about the real stuff like the clash not bullshit like good charlotte.
If I had a poser alarm, it would've just exploded.

There was no need to read your profile to realize how incredibly retarded you are, I just wanted to make fun of you for misspelling The Ramones. But yes, I did read the rest of your profile, and no, there was no statement regarding how this is not your account. Don't make up excuses; you're the one who made an uninformed comment about an article made for the sole purpose of informing you. It really doesn't matter who the account belongs to; the person using it is an asshole regardless.

init4thefashion
01-29-2005, 12:21 AM
^its cool man, I think he gets it

p.s. glad to c that icon back

Andrewbiles
01-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Why is there a load of pop-punk talk in an emo thread?

kryptonite22
01-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes pop does mean popular, but everything popular is not pop, therefore pop must have some kind of a defined sound. Oooh, deep...:p:

that wasnt directed at u you just posted before I finished my post or something it was ment for someone before you So me, then? When have I ever even mentioned Fat Mike or NOFX? I don't have MTV, nor do I even own a NOFX song, let alone an album...

MrLucky77713
01-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Pop doesn't mean popular. It did early on, but now is defined as catchier and more light hearted than whatever genre it's attached to..

Pop-punk: Sacrifices rawness and a touch of the passion element for energy and catchiness

pop-metal (yeah, it exists): Sacrificed some of the technicality and seriousness for catchiness and energy.

The name of the game? Catchiness and energy. Mindboggling huh?

init4thefashion
01-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by kryptonite22
Oooh, deep...:p:

So me, then? When have I ever even mentioned Fat Mike or NOFX? I don't have MTV, nor do I even own a NOFX song, let alone an album...

i cant even remember who it was directed at now, but it wasnt you, it was a nweb

levelx27
01-30-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm going to break the seriousness for a second, and ask a stupid, newb-ish question (seeing as I am a newb after all). Just out of curiosity... Would The Matches be classified as Emo or simply Pop-punk?

P.s. Please don't rip my head off. o.o"

init4thefashion
01-30-2005, 01:35 AM
^pop punk

init4thefashion
01-30-2005, 01:42 AM
lets talk about Christie Front Drive, if anyone knows them

Andrewbiles
01-30-2005, 07:44 AM
Christie Front Drive are amazing, one of the over-looked bands. Still can't work out what song's called what on the album though :(

oldrnr
02-02-2005, 05:40 AM
that was a good read think you covered it well

Leon Jenkins
02-07-2005, 01:25 PM
hi....i think emos rock, they are cool, everything about them is just coolness. SO DNT DISS EMO! they rock! p.s FIGHTSTAR ****ING ROCK!!!!!!......thank you!

Andrewbiles
02-07-2005, 03:28 PM
^ In your profile, the band is 'Metallica', not 'matallica'. And no, Fightstar do not "****ing rock", if you saw that show they were on on Friday, with Jimmy Carr & Vinnie Jones, you'd surely understand how bad they truly are. Any band that has to play the same, dull riff 18 times in the same programme cos they only have on is awful. Granted a few months ago I actually quite liked what I heard, but having seen the live performance, it's just made me feel sorry for them.

Gurgle!Argh!
02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
the thing about it was that it wasnt especially bad, it was just mediocre, like the kind of crap you hear every night on little stages by unsigned bands across the country. just doesnt deserve the exposure.

Zero02
02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I've seen this thread up for months and months, I finally got around to reading it. Great article. The Rites are awesome. I couldn't find End on End up by me, but for Christmas my uncle went to some store down in Atlanta and got me a few early emo albums. Great stuff. Patience, Theme, and For Want Of (such a cool riff) are my favorite songs off the album.

guitarh3ro_44
02-07-2005, 08:56 PM
this was needed, to many people don't know what emo is.

helloandstuff
02-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Leon Jenkins
hi....i think emos rock, they are cool, everything about them is just coolness. SO DNT DISS EMO! they rock! p.s FIGHTSTAR ****ING ROCK!!!!!!......thank you!

Could you kindly tell me what "DISSING" is? And fightstar stink as much as your red, red asshole.

kryptonite22
02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Granted a few months ago I actually quite liked what I heard, but having seen the live performance, it's just made me feel sorry for them. I've not seen that show, I had no idea it was on and I'm not keen to see it. The thing about Fightstar is they will never have a chance. Ever. Anyone who liked Busted will do one of two things, either a) claim to love Fightstar, they'll buy the EP and everything, and they'll be on their way to mainstream emo and pop-punk. Hell, they might even turn up on these forums. Or they'll b) claim the band is crap and he shouldn't have split Busted up for it. Either way, no real fans so far. Anyone who hated Busted will either hate Fightstar simply because it's cool, may not even listen to it before they slag it off, or might just not be into that kind of music at all. So, no support there either. So really, Fightstar are relying on people who never really had an opinion on Busted to get involved and either like them or dislike them. I think this is pretty accurate, so bearing this in mind, their success is likely to be minimal. Although I'll bet they get a hell of a lot of exposure in the meantime.

Guitar_Guy00001
02-24-2005, 08:25 PM
I like the article I could relate!!! Great Job!!

throughxwaiting
02-27-2005, 12:45 AM
word.

OneOfTheSound
03-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Awesome article! Very sweet! I love emo, almost everything I listen to. Nice to know the history behind it.

LPxBlink
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey, that must be a trend, cause i like the same kinda stuff as you...a few years ago all i liked was adult alternative and altern. rock, but then i heard some blink 182 and started to get into punk rock. that song "The Quiet Things That no One Ever Knows" first drew me into emo also. Just after this i started to find that AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses were all good bands also.

I think this could also have to do with all the crap music we're getting now between rap and the comback of the 'boy band' kinda sound like moroon 5 and ryan cabrerra. All of us who weren't brainwashed by all of it are resorting back to good OLD music, cause there's less and less NEW good music coming out. Deprived, we all turn to our parent's old CD's.

Seriously. Listen to your local pop station. If your the kind of person i know most guitarists are, you hear maybe one song u like that is played on that station. Even alternative and metal stations are turning out some crappy music. Like the disco takeover in the 70's, rap and pop are forcing good music out. Hopefully it's just a fad...

SilenceEvolves
03-10-2005, 08:26 PM
What the hell are you talking about LP?

Disco owns your soul.

812many
03-10-2005, 09:00 PM
yea... is The Used considered emo? if so, that is the only emo band i like, if it isnt.... emo sucks. but still, i need to give u props for that heartfelt page u wrote.

812many
03-10-2005, 09:12 PM
LP, i agree (hey, that rhymed). :D i was listening to the radio just the other day and alot of that new **** sucks. I have been going to the older bands (led, guns n roses, nirvana (and even older) pink floyd, jefferson airplane). so, i could go on and rant about this, but i will save that for a later date. just to sum it up, the new **** kids listen to sucks and will corrupt their minds! resort to the good stuff!

Vicious Sid
03-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by LPxBlink
Hey, that must be a trend, cause i like the same kinda stuff as you...a few years ago all i liked was adult alternative and altern. rock, but then i heard some blink 182 and started to get into punk rock. that song "The Quiet Things That no One Ever Knows" first drew me into emo also. Just after this i started to find that AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses were all good bands also.

I think this could also have to do with all the crap music we're getting now between rap and the comback of the 'boy band' kinda sound like moroon 5 and ryan cabrerra. All of us who weren't brainwashed by all of it are resorting back to good OLD music, cause there's less and less NEW good music coming out. Deprived, we all turn to our parent's old CD's.

Seriously. Listen to your local pop station. If your the kind of person i know most guitarists are, you hear maybe one song u like that is played on that station. Even alternative and metal stations are turning out some crappy music. Like the disco takeover in the 70's, rap and pop are forcing good music out. Hopefully it's just a fad...
Haha...what irony. Have you realized that you listen to the most stereotypical "good" music out there? You're just like every other kid who likes to scream, "Mainstream sucks!"at every public oppurtunity. Get over yourself; you're not cool, you're not underground, and no one's impressed.

812many
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
im not one of the people that says mainstream sucks- some of it does- i just wanted to get that cleared up. :bonk:

init4thefashion
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Haha...what irony. Have you realized that you listen to the most stereotypical "good" music out there? You're just like every other kid who likes to scream, "Mainstream sucks!"at every public oppurtunity. Get over yourself; you're not cool, you're not underground, and no one's impressed.

gotta agree, classic rocks lyrics are just as shallow as fiddy cents

boutay
03-10-2005, 11:16 PM
i also enjoyed reading that, wooooo finally something that describes emo perfectly

milk_it_good
03-14-2005, 07:00 AM
The people that hate emo are basically the shallow people who can't relate to using your emotions. You can try to prove me wrong but 99% of the time that's the case. Deeper, more insightful people tend to understand emo more, and therefore enjoy it. I like Led Zep, some guns n roses, Nirvana... basically everything. But sometimes, depending on my mood, emo is such a refreshing style. It's so charged.

emoguitarDA88
03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
nice.... evryone that dont like emo can shut the fuk up. we dont bash on your music

--nametaken5--
03-19-2005, 03:46 PM
i'm sure that it was a great story but do you really think i have the time to read all of it?

MrLucky77713
03-19-2005, 04:00 PM
^If you have the time to sign up for an internet guitar forum and post here, then yes. Ass.

Chen928
03-20-2005, 02:00 AM
^Nice.

ohdarn323
03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
gotta agree, classic rocks lyrics are just as shallow as fiddy cents

A rash generalization.

Originally posted by milk_it_good
The people that hate emo are basically the shallow people who can't relate to using your emotions. You can try to prove me wrong but 99% of the time that's the case. Deeper, more insightful people tend to understand emo more, and therefore enjoy it. I like Led Zep, some guns n roses, Nirvana... basically everything. But sometimes, depending on my mood, emo is such a refreshing style. It's so charged.

ahah. Perhaps some of the people who dislike "emo" are those jumping on the bandwagon - much like so many kids who jumped on the "liking emo" bandwagon. I don't like "emo" because I don't find it appealing. Most of the vocalists sing through their nose, and in my opinion most of the love-song lyrics are terribly cliché. Emo is no more "charged" than anything else (except maybe that which hardly falls into the category of music, like rap).

pixiesfanyo
03-25-2005, 12:55 PM
^ Look at your signature.

ohdarn323
03-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Ah, yes. Wilco. I don't profess that the lyrics in my signature are the most amazing lyrics ever, or even that they're not somwhat cliché. And yet Wilco remains my favourite band. Why? I don't know; I can't explain my personal appeal. I will say that the song in my signature is anything but "emo".

pixiesfanyo
03-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I was making a comment on how you say Emo lyrics are insanely cliche.

Don't be a hypocrit is the lesson.

ohdarn323
03-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Point taken. I wasn't being a hypocrit.

Whereabouts in PA do you live?

pixiesfanyo
03-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Centre County

Metallica78
03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
very nice article. i liked that last part where he sez bashin emo is the fad. people probibly dont like it because its repetitive and the bands theyve all heard, more mainstream that is, all suck with a passion.

Shadows_knot
03-28-2005, 06:25 AM
emo is gay

Andrewbiles
03-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Shadows_knot
emo is gay

*Warned*

Everyone ignore their post.

Boes
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM
ive just this minute signed up to UG. ur article was really good. i didnt know what emo was but now i kinda understand. thanks. :)

guitarchick90
03-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by milk_it_good

totally agree led zep is mad and nirvana rocks
and i dont mind emo but i cant stand simple plan his voice is so whiny

S.O.T.Y.
03-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Simple Plan isn't emo...

MetalxChick666
03-31-2005, 05:12 AM
Now after reading this, my only question is, what is emo?
No. Please don't answer that because I hapened to be kidding. If you answer and tell me to read this article thouroughly (sp?) and then dare me to ask that question, I think I'd kill you because we don't need a person as mentally incapable of handling a joke as you. Thank you for your time. This is completely pointless.

Baphomet

init4thefashion
03-31-2005, 04:51 PM
^right a lack of sense of humor is TOTALLY the reason this was made

I hope you're goth fishnets get too tight and you become infertile

guitarchick90
04-02-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by S.O.T.Y.
Simple Plan isn't emo...

YEAH I GUESS BUT IF THEY NOT EMO WAT ARE THEY

emoISaDEADgenre
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by guitarchick90
really, no need for caps. and them emo? thats like saying... fallout boy is emo. its crazy and uneducated. simple plan is simply a POP band, wow that wasnt hard.

S.O.T.Y.
04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by guitarchick90
They're pop-punk shit.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-02-2005, 01:15 PM
id say just pop...really, where is the punk in them?

S.O.T.Y.
04-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Because I don't see pop as a genre, it's just what is popular. Doesn't narrow it down much at all.

MrLucky77713
04-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by S.O.T.Y.
They're pop-punk shit.

Please don't imply that pop-punk = shit

Pop IS a genre. It's evolved from techno and hip-hop. It isn't actually number one right now, rap is.

S.O.T.Y.
04-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I didn't mean that, I just meant that they were shit. Sorry for any confusion.

kooldonuts
04-03-2005, 10:56 AM
i dont reallly enjoy emo, as matter of fact, i hate it, but im not gonna start bashing emo. if ssomeone listens to it, its gotta be good righ? anyhow, i listen to a few emo bands, like brand new and My Chem Romance. but when someone says they hate emo, u ever notice the only things they can support it with are "its annoying" or "whiny"? i hate emo because i simply think it uses peoples emotions as a tool to sell records. the genre's "ideas" are so vague they can apply to anyone.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by kooldonuts
i dont reallly enjoy emo, as matter of fact, i hate it, but im not gonna start bashing emo. if ssomeone listens to it, its gotta be good righ? anyhow, i listen to a few emo bands, like brand new and My Chem Romance. but when someone says they hate emo, u ever notice the only things they can support it with are "its annoying" or "whiny"? i hate emo because i simply think it uses peoples emotions as a tool to sell records. the genre's "ideas" are so vague they can apply to anyone.
its not emo you hate then. its what mtv and other music media networks (except stevens untitled rock show, he has played real emo bands like jawbreaker before and seems to know his facts) portray emo to be that you hate. they make it out to be music for kids that dont fit and as a result are depressed/ kids that are devastated due to broken hearts and stuff along. it is actually music that comes from a punk scene that turned melidolic and had abstract lyrics as supposed to the normal punk stuff. from there bands took those aspects and evolved, some playing more fast and hardcore others not...but never did it evolve AWAY from it and start making pop **** (aka simple plan, dashboard, ect.)... anywho the tough kids that come here and diss are really just uneducated

rancidchick_01
04-04-2005, 07:17 PM
i thought that it was kool i really enjoed reading it

love lots

rancidchick

MrLucky77713
04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Wait, what's wrong with a genre that can apply to everybody? Would it be betetr for you if emo ran as a country club? Maybe a membership test? Hm.

The emotion isn't usually a record selling tool. You see, the thing about emo lyrics is that because they do indeed apply to about everyone, that would mean they also apply to the author, correct? Therefore, even if the entire world thates the song, the author will still have it produced because it has meaning to him or her. Because the genre is so topic-accessible and so general (since it so often deals with love/relationships), it's ratehr natural that people would write about it, and the style of instrumentation suits it better than just about any other genre, especially within the rock "sphere"

EmO_RuleZ!!
04-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I agree with Lucky

812many
04-06-2005, 05:37 PM
cant argue with that :cheers:

J Lock
04-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Actually you had the history right, but after you said The Get-Up Kids were emo you went all down hill.

The modern day stuff is all very wrong.
This article couldn't have been more wrong in that aspect.

Brand New is indie, pop-punk.
Thursday is post-hardcore.
The Get-Up Kids are indie.
The Promise Ring are indie.
Jawbreaker are pop-punk.

init4thefashion
04-06-2005, 07:12 PM
^you're actually an idiot, but I don't need references to support my argument

MrLucky77713
04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by J Lock
Actually you had the history right, but after you said The Get-Up Kids were emo you went all down hill.

The modern day stuff is all very wrong.
This article couldn't have been more wrong in that aspect.

Brand New is indie, pop-punk.
Thursday is post-hardcore.
The Get-Up Kids are indie.
The Promise Ring are indie.
Jawbreaker are pop-punk.

BN: Was the best pop-punk unit of the last few years (rivaled only by NFG :p:), but now they've got an emo vibe.

Thursday is screamo or whatever you wanna call it... They're still an emo band, mate.

Get-ups are on the emo list (I think) and so that's what I believe they are. As with Promise Ring.

Jawbreaker is a mix of pop-punk and emo, and a damn fine one at that...

pixiesfanyo
04-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by MrLucky77713
BN: Was the best pop-punk unit of the last few years (rivaled only by NFG :p:), but now they've got an emo vibe.

Thursday is screamo or whatever you wanna call it... They're still an emo band, mate.

Get-ups are on the emo list (I think) and so that's what I believe they are. As with Promise Ring.

Jawbreaker is a mix of pop-punk and emo, and a damn fine one at that...

Ok.

Thursday is not screamo. You are an idiot.

Get-Up Kids are pop-punk.

Face it. You suck at genres.

Emo is emotional hardcore, as much as you guys think it's not. It's obvious everybody here got into the "emo" scene through pop-punk. They got tired of listening to Blink-182 brag about butt sex with dogs and found Brand New or Taking Back Sunday and were like... Oh my gozzz this is sooo cool what isss it???

Please learn the differences between genres and then come back to me. K?

Here.

Emo bands - Hot Cross, Saetia, Grade, A Day in Black and White, I Hate Myself, Indian Summer, Trophy Scars, Funeral Diner, Comadre, Song of Zarathustra, Moss Icon, Wallside, Native Nod, Spirit of Versailles, Amanda Woodward, Rites of Spring, Hoover, Still Life, Stop It!, Engine Down

Screamo bands - Love Like...Electrocution, Angel Hair, Antioch Arrow, Usurp Synapse, pageninteynine, Heroin, Clikitat Ikatowi, City of Caterpillar, Circle Takes the Square, Orchid, Neil Perry, Kaospilot, The Kite-Flying Society, The Khayembii Communique, The Vidablue, Portrait, combatwoundedveteran, lickgoldensky, Cowboys Became Folk Heroes, Joshua Fit for Battle, Jerome's Dream, You and I, Love Lost But Not Forgotten, Textbook Traitors. As the Sun Sets, After School Knife Fight, Welcome To The Plague Year, Off Minor, The Kodan Armada, Van Johnson, Majority Rule, The Assistant, Cobra Kai, Mara'kate, Hassan I Sabbah, The Now, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, The Fiction, Wolves, The Red Scare, Get ****ed

(MX)

812many
04-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by pixiesfanyo
Ok.

Emo is emotional hardcore, as much as you guys think it's not. It's obvious everybody here got into the "emo" scene through pop-punk. They got tired of listening to Blink-182 brag about butt sex with dogs and found Brand New or Taking Back Sunday and were like... Oh my gozzz this is sooo cool what isss it???

Here.

Emo bands - Hot Cross, Saetia, Grade, A Day in Black and White, I Hate Myself, Indian Summer, Trophy Scars, Funeral Diner, Comadre, Song of Zarathustra, Moss Icon, Wallside, Native Nod, Spirit of Versailles, Amanda Woodward, Rites of Spring, Hoover, Still Life, Stop It!, Engine Down

Screamo bands - Love Like...Electrocution, Angel Hair, Antioch Arrow, Usurp Synapse, pageninteynine, Heroin, Clikitat Ikatowi, City of Caterpillar, Circle Takes the Square, Orchid, Neil Perry, Kaospilot, The Kite-Flying Society, The Khayembii Communique, The Vidablue, Portrait, combatwoundedveteran, lickgoldensky, Cowboys Became Folk Heroes, Joshua Fit for Battle, Jerome's Dream, You and I, Love Lost But Not Forgotten, Textbook Traitors. As the Sun Sets, After School Knife Fight, Welcome To The Plague Year, Off Minor, The Kodan Armada, Van Johnson, Majority Rule, The Assistant, Cobra Kai, Mara'kate, Hassan I Sabbah, The Now, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, The Fiction, Wolves, The Red Scare, Get ****ed

(MX)

how can you get bored of listening to Blink talk about butt sex with dogs??? :mad:

J Lock
04-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Ok.

Here.

(MX)

YAY!!!!
Finally!
This guy definitely knows!!

Trucon
04-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Hey I am emo and it just what you feel like wer'e just people and most of us feel that are feelings are downed by listening to "hard-core" and punk music. talk to me again, hey and anyone who says thyr'e emo is usually a poser and don't forget "don't dress to impress!"
,gerrit

J Lock
04-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Oh... Ok.
Thanks!

MrLucky77713
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Ok.

Here.

(MX)

TBS/BN/Get Ups are on the emo list. As long as they're on there, I'll consider them that. They were accepted and reccomended, so emo list > you.

Actually, I guess it was Alk3 that got me into the emo scene, but your whole take on it is really just an asshole way to see it. People mature through music because they listen to something broad (ok, pop-punk isa good, accessible example) and often seek to refine their taste. With the pop-punk example it usually turns into either punk or emo, or maybe both. From there it might go on into something a bit more obscure. This happens because of taste refinement. People see what they like from the broad genre better embodied in another and just go on. Not all people are just into the next big thing.

Emo IS emotional hardcore, but the hardcore element has faded somewhat substantially over time. I mean hell, it's been like 15 years since emo's conception. It isn't like genres never change. Get over it, like 80% of the genre has headed in this new direction. It's still emo, and there are still "classic" sounding emo bands, but this movement of sound isn't something else. It's evolution.

J Lock
04-07-2005, 05:29 PM
TBS/BN/Get Ups are on the emo list. As long as they're on there, I'll consider them that. They were accepted and reccomended, so emo list > you.

Actually, I guess it was Alk3 that got me into the emo scene, but your whole take on it is really just an asshole way to see it. People mature through music because they listen to something broad (ok, pop-punk isa good, accessible example) and often seek to refine their taste. With the pop-punk example it usually turns into either punk or emo, or maybe both. From there it might go on into something a bit more obscure. This happens because of taste refinement. People see what they like from the broad genre better embodied in another and just go on. Not all people are just into the next big thing.

Emo IS emotional hardcore, but the hardcore element has faded somewhat substantially over time. I mean hell, it's been like 15 years since emo's conception. It isn't like genres never change. Get over it, like 80% of the genre has headed in this new direction. It's still emo, and there are still "classic" sounding emo bands, but this movement of sound isn't something else. It's evolution.

Just because a band is on this emo list, doesn't make them emo.
What makes this the holy grail of emo?
This list goes along with pop-culture's version of emo, which is wrong.

That is just it. That is my point of contention. Emo did not evolve into pop-punk and indie. It evolved into something more chaotic, Screamo. Bands started taking a more chaotic approach to it. Some of it was a joke, like I Hate Myself, but emo went from Rites of Spring, to bands like Orchid, Heroin, Indian Summer, to bands of today such as Yaphet Kotto, A Day In Black and White, Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross.

Emo did not become soft.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-07-2005, 08:37 PM
im glad to see some people here not completely brainwashed by the site. this emo list is the most stereotypical mainstream i have ever seen. emo is NOT mainstream. and if your not about to listen to some random people on a message board then why not visit www.fourfa.com

init4thefashion
04-07-2005, 09:11 PM
^i listed fourfa as a reference in the article buddy

pixiesfanyo
04-07-2005, 09:34 PM

You are wrong.

Fourfa is wrong after it starts saying SDRE is emo.

Both of you are idiots. @ EmoisaDEADgenre

SilenceEvolves
04-07-2005, 10:10 PM
you guys confuse me with your post-lesbian activist arguing.

i'm just going to stick to my bright eyes, good life, cursive, copeland and death cab for cutie emo scene thank you very much.

edit: just got a great idea, from now on anything i listen to, regardless of genre, will be known as coreyXcore.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-08-2005, 12:35 AM
good idea, no more claiming crap emo then?

and have read most of the stuff on fourfa and agree with most of it too...and do you mean sunny day real estate? cause im not im not sure what that stood for...

btw what the hell is post-lesbian activist arguing...?

SilenceEvolves
04-08-2005, 06:39 AM
have you ever heard a lesbian activist?

you guys sound like one.

J Lock
04-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I love lesbians. Does that count?

MrLucky77713
04-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Just because a band is on this emo list, doesn't make them emo.
What makes this the holy grail of emo?
This list goes along with pop-culture's version of emo, which is wrong.

That is just it. That is my point of contention. Emo did not evolve into pop-punk and indie. It evolved into something more chaotic, Screamo. Bands started taking a more chaotic approach to it. Some of it was a joke, like I Hate Myself, but emo went from Rites of Spring, to bands like Orchid, Heroin, Indian Summer, to bands of today such as Yaphet Kotto, A Day In Black and White, Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross.

Emo did not become soft.

Yeah, because genres only move in one direction... :rolleyes:

Some emo bands went that way, other emo bands embraced the fact that emo lended itself to more melodic instrumentation. Hell, RoS cried on stage... (or so I hear)

init4thefashion
04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
as usual i agree with corey and lucky

arguing against lucky is usually a pretty stupid idea

pixiesfanyo
04-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Some emo bands went that way, other emo bands embraced the fact that emo lended itself to more melodic instrumentation. Hell, RoS cried on stage... (or so I hear)

Uhm... have you ever heard Hot Cross.

Their new EP's guitars are melodic as a mother ****er.

Also EMO is based mainly around vocals. The whole point of EMO was taking the hardcore shout abouts and turning them into something emotionally charged rather than politically. The vocalists of true EMO bands are painful screams because they are releasing their emotions through their speech. Unlike the bands on this list who are like "Is that what you call tact? " in a very sing-songy manner. EMO isn't meant to be sung along to, it's meant to connect through aggression.

Andrewbiles
04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Oh for f*cks sake shut up you lot.

Kurdt_Kobain751
04-09-2005, 02:28 AM
who cares what emo is...it sucks anyway...and don't mind arguing i won't be back too read em....EMO IS TALENTLESS AND SUCKS ****..i know i'll be reported but whatever

Vicious Sid
04-09-2005, 03:02 AM
This an A-B conversation, so you can shut the fuck up.

The searing insult of talentlessness...from a Nirvana fan...bah.

Andrewbiles
04-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Kurdt_Kobain751
who cares what emo is...it sucks anyway...and don't mind arguing i won't be back too read em....EMO IS TALENTLESS AND SUCKS ****..i know i'll be reported but whatever

*Warned* Was so tempted to ban you. I'm gonna keep a close eye on you instead.

Ozzy77
04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Kurdt_Kobain751

Notice where he said he wouldn't be back to read your complaints..god some people are so freaking clueless

HopePoisoned
04-09-2005, 03:13 PM
only good emo is thursday and trans emo (emo vocals w/ dance music)

not to mention pop punk sucks too - just to make sure all r offended

and emo is something about kids in highschool who wear a lot of black, black thick rimmed glasses, listen to vinyl only, write poetry, get beat up, and crying

there's emo - im a hardcore metal man, so nobody dares try to beat on me or the answer to pro faith kvlt beatings, lol

Andrewbiles
04-09-2005, 05:13 PM
^ Shut up dickwad. If you don't like it, stay out, simple as.

Pyr0
04-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey, kids..

Language is determined by usage.

Therefore, since the word "emo" is now widely used to describe Brand New, TBS ,etc, they ARE emo. Despite the original meanings of the word.

Language changes.

Ever used the word "Quite"? It doesn't mean "moderately", it actually means "completely".

If you're going to use the "original" meaning of 'emo', might as well use the original meaning of all words. :rolleyes:

MattDaviesFFAF
04-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Ne 1 who likes any of the bands mentioned here should listen to Funeral For a Friend

Gurgle!Argh!
04-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy77
Notice where he said he wouldn't be back to read your complaints..god some people are so freaking clueless

notice where bilesy said he was warned. he will know about that...

Andrewbiles
04-09-2005, 09:00 PM
^ Was gonna just tell Ozzy77 to shut up there, but I figured there was no point. Will just delve into their post history when I get bored and pick something out that they deserve a warning for :p:

Gurgle!Argh!
04-09-2005, 09:03 PM
^haha... how... cruel... :p:

Grovermans
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
^ Was gonna just tell Ozzy77 to shut up there, but I figured there was no point. Will just delve into their post history when I get bored and pick something out that they deserve a warning for :p:
ten bucks says he's that "Kurdt_Kobain751" guy on a different account... he just joined today, and "Kurdt_Kobain751" just got banned today... seems a bit suspicious to me...

Andrewbiles
04-10-2005, 09:03 AM
^ You're actually correct, IPs match exactly. Cheers for that.

Ozzy77 = Banned

:cheers:

kryptonite22
04-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MattDaviesFFAF
Ne 1 who likes any of the bands mentioned here should listen to Funeral For a Friend Most people do. It's not as if they're underground or anything.

RockThe40oz
04-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I never really considered Brand New emo.. but then again, I don't listen to emo...

As for the second article listing emo as a subgenre of punk, I'd have to disagree. Although I do agree it may have evolved from punk, that doesn't make it a subgenre of punk. It's evolved so far that it sounds nothing like it anymore. The fast snares, the simplistic 3-chord styling, popping bass, etc. have been long lost from punk to emo.

I have this to say about emo:
Do I like the music? No... do I like the people who listen to the music? That's an impossible question to answer with just yes or no. Sure I like some people that listen to it. Of course I dislike some people that listen to it. I dislike the emo kids that feel they have to act depressed all the time just because that's what their music tells them to act like. I also dislike the kids that claim to listen to punk but then list only emo/pop-punk bands... Then again, those only represent about 20% of the kids that listen to emo.

I have plenty of friends that listen to emo/pop-punk and I really don't care what they listen to.. They're just my friends. I've dated girls that listen to emo.. I just don't listen to it with them.

I can't stand other punks that just run around labeling anybody that listens to emo a fag without getting to know the person.. but then again, the new wave of emo kids wearing girl pants as tight as they can with their shirts as tight and as pink as possible gives a bad name to the genre of music. Tight shirts I can understand, but girl pants kind of gets me.. maybe it's because I'm a guy and don't want to see some other dude's junk bulging out of his pants...

Anyways.. that's my rant on emo.. since I'd get my ass kicked for posting it anywhere else..

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I DESPISE screamo/emo-core/whatever the hell else kind of music has a guy designated simply to growl incomprehensibly into the microphone.. I'm sorry, but I hate that crap terribly.. just as I'm sure plenty of you hate punk terribly..

Andrewbiles
04-10-2005, 03:30 PM
^ For once someone has finally given a reason when they ended up saying they're not the biggest fan of emo. Thank you. Haven't completely worked out why you said all that, but still, I'm not really bothered.

Vicious Sid
04-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Good argument. That's why I stopped claiming the "emo" label long ago. That, and I saw this kid in Wal-Mart with a TBS sweatshirt and girl pants and his hair spiked like a total scenester prick, and I would've given my right eye to beat his ass. It was really just for the irony of the TBS jacket with the scenester look, but I would've beat his ass all the same.

RockThe40oz
04-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Haven't completely worked out why you said all that, but still, I'm not really bothered.

Ha... mainly because I've been thinking about it recently and this was the only place I figured my rant would be accepted.. (because I'd be damned if I wouldn't get warned for posting it in punk or creating a whole new thread here about it)

Grovermans
04-10-2005, 05:46 PM
^ You're actually correct, IPs match exactly. Cheers for that.

Ozzy77 = Banned

where's my ten bucks? :p:

raise_the_dead
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by duke9738
You're instinct is to degrade it as much as possible by any means necessary, until it is nothing but dust. But stop and think for a second why are you doing that? Can you think of a logical reason? No. You can't. Because in reality it is not Emo that is the fad, the fad is hating Emo.

I myself don't listen to any emo, I have one song from My Chemical Romance called i never told you what i do for a living and it's good, i might get their album. But I want to applaud you for having teh guts to go against the flow. It seems that everyone automatically attack certain genres (nu-metal, emo, pop-punk) simply because they are popular. This attitude is disgusting, this is the same narrowmindedness that causes misery for everyone everyday.

anyway

Strat_27
04-12-2005, 07:33 PM
alright well first of all i dont know if someone said this already but im gonna say it anyway im not trying to burn anyone im not trying to put anything down okay... well the TERM(not the music under that label) "Emo" i think is stupid. Emo = Emotional so does that mean that it can be the only music that talks about emotion there a lot of different emotions people have not just heart break Emo is just a label not a genre of music its just away of people throwing music together in a big pile and forgetting the bands individuality

Grovermans
04-12-2005, 07:42 PM
rarrrrrrrr did you read it? it said "emo is emotionally charged hardcore" not just "emotional".

emoISaDEADgenre
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
emotional hardcore...anywho every one attacks numetal, pop-punk, and emo b/c many of the bands that are mainstream in those genres arent even in those genres! for instints, simple plan is a pop band, however mtv portray them as pop-punk or just punk. and green day too, many say they are punk when they are pop-punk. this happens in emo and numetal too. for numetal bands fans seem to be the confused saying they are just metal or some other genre that seems to take it as an insult. Emo too, people like to say they are emo and support it with mainstream bands such as my chemical romance, tbs, and jew, no of which are actually emo...so i guess the moral of the story is...if you listen to what music media networks say about mainstream bands your screwed with wrong music knowledge. (except stevens untitled rock show, hes a smart guy about emo)

init4thefashion
04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
^i'm starting to agree w/ you a bit more

mostly becuz u seem 2 b the only 1 who agrees w/ me thta dashboard isnt emo, wheres the hardcore influence in dashboard?

MrLucky77713
04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
^The hardcore influence is, I believe, no longer truly a necessity. Sure, it isn't straight up emo, but it's a form of emo. It's the exact same concept, but it draws more influences from other places. I'm one who would still call it emo because it draws from the punk branch of rock (its my big theory on the rock "tree")

init4thefashion
04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
^i agree there are places that chris cudve gotten from that wud make him qualified emo, but i think his FSF days got him the preconcieved tag for DC, the lyrics are really the only traceable evidence

J Lock
04-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Nah man.
That's what I've been saying.
Here it is...
The lyrics that Chris Crap writes out is accessible, sometimes enjoyable and made for sappiness.
Emo lyrics were inaccessible because they were self-reflective. They dealt with the writer and no-one else. There's a helluva lot more meaning to it than surface value, which is what Chris writes at. There is no hidden meaning, no introspection, no laying it all out there in non-sensical poetry.

However, MrLucky mcducky, it seems as if your main argument is that it depends on the lyrics. I disagree terribly. Even if it did, the bands ya'll got on the emo forum, don't have the lyrics to match true Emo lyrics. It depends alot more. I mean think of it this way, you could have black metal lyrics, set it to power-pop and you might be considered Alkaline Trio, not black metal. It depends on the music too. Catch my drift?

MrLucky77713
04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
It isn't just lyrics. But they play a role. That was what initially separated emo bands from other hardcore bands.

"Emo lyrics were inaccessible"

Keyword? Were. You see, the lyrics have increased in accessibility because really the topics most emo bands cover are inherently accessible. However, there are still slighter, small meanings everywhere. Take Taking Back Sundaty and Brand New for example. They wrote several songs about eachother/themselves and simply masked them to be something else. Sure, everyone knows it now, but take someone who isn't a diehard fan and they'll have no idea about the introspective/hidden meanings in the songs.

I'm not sure what the hell alk3 is, they're one of those bands (like AFI) that sort of defy many genres. If anything, I'd say Alkaline Trio is almost two different bands depending whether Matt or Dan is singing.

It's just Lucky, mate.

J Lock
04-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Alk3 = pop-punk.
A decent, straight-foward pop-punk band.
AFI = hardcore punk transformed into alternative rock.

Emo lyrics are mainly poetry with no rhyme scheme.
Abstract poetry.
Your main argument has been about the lyrics.
That is what connects it to the roots of early emo.
Yet here you say its changed as well.
So you are basically saying that even the lyrics don't have a link to the emo of yore.

Yes, I know all about the TBS & BN stuff.
It's very enticing I must say.

Grovermans
04-14-2005, 04:06 PM
rarrrrrrrrrrrr does it really matter what is considered "emo" or not? why can't you just give up the argument? genres suck... from now on, i'm calling stuff that i like "awesomexcore" and stuff that's ok "mehxcore" and stuff that i don't like "lamexcore". i can put whatever band i want in there and not even you, j lock, the pseudo-know-it-all about genres, will be able to stop me.

muahahahahahahaha

MrLucky77713
04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Alk3 isn't really a pop-punk band, though. They really don't cater to that sound.

Emo lyrics can rhyme.
The main thing about emo lyrics is the THEME, that's what separated it. Hardcore/punk were never about the motions emo delves into. That's the difference, not the specific style of poetry or whatever the lyrics are done in. The nuances of the pen aren't as important as the theme. Hell, emo is named after it's theme.

J Lock
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Grovermans
rarrrrrrrrrrrr does it really matter what is considered "emo" or not? why can't you just give up the argument? genres suck... from now on, i'm calling stuff that i like "awesomexcore" and stuff that's ok "mehxcore" and stuff that i don't like "lamexcore". i can put whatever band i want in there and not even you, j lock, the pseudo-know-it-all about genres, will be able to stop me.

muahahahahahahaha

I don't really care...

You never had much of an argument to begin with.
You just want me to give in.
I'm not.

So, cool.
Good luck with that.

Alk3 isn't really a pop-punk band, though. They really don't cater to that sound.

Emo lyrics can rhyme.
The main thing about emo lyrics is the THEME, that's what separated it. Hardcore/punk were never about the motions emo delves into. That's the difference, not the specific style of poetry or whatever the lyrics are done in. The nuances of the pen aren't as important as the theme. Hell, emo is named after it's theme.

Yes, alk3 is a pop-punk band. Listen to the guitaring and the drumming.

I didn't say they can't rhyme. I said that they usually don't, due to it being abstract. The lyrics were about social situations, depression, suicide, relationships, friendships, political issues, etc., etc. You're right about the theme. I'll give you that. However, the way the theme was brought about was not a straightforward manner. It was how the author penned it out. It was meant to touch him/her because the lyrics were self-reflecting.

Grovermans
04-15-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't really care...

I'm not.

So, cool.
Good luck with that.
no... i was tired of arguing pointlessly with you when you obviously won't give up, even when you are proved wrong. i'm just asking... why does it really matter?

NFG_rox
04-15-2005, 12:34 AM
So..... JoJo must be emo :O

lol, jk... i enjoyed the article. very nice work both of ya's

J Lock
04-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Grovermans
no... i was tired of arguing pointlessly with you when you obviously won't give up, even when you are proved wrong. i'm just asking... why does it really matter?

I'm not proved wrong.
No one has proved me wrong yet.

You just gave in.
I win by default.

It matters because I don't like seeing the term emo bastardized anymore. To insult someone now, all you have to say is "oh you're so emo." Meanwhile they have no idea what true emo is, where it came from, or what it stood for. I wasn't always into emo. It was a gradual transition. As I got into it more, it became more popular to label bands with emotional lyrics as emo. When that should have never been the case.

It's like calling Ashlee Simpson punk rock.
Yes, I've seen her called that.
Not even pop-punk, but pure punk-rock.

Dozzy896
04-15-2005, 02:06 AM
thanks man

init4thefashion
04-15-2005, 04:24 PM
[B]I'm not proved wrong.
No one has yet to prove me wrong.

You just gave in.
I win by default.
B]

haha dont condescend man you have the ability to be more commendable than that

Grovermans
04-15-2005, 04:28 PM
you just said that everyone had already proved you wrong, smartass.

bobjewell87
04-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I AM EMO

emoISaDEADgenre
04-15-2005, 05:48 PM
joke? haha?

MrLucky77713
04-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't really care...

I'm not.

So, cool.
Good luck with that.

Yes, alk3 is a pop-punk band. Listen to the guitaring and the drumming.

I didn't say they can't rhyme. I said that they usually don't, due to it being abstract. The lyrics were about social situations, depression, suicide, relationships, friendships, political issues, etc., etc. You're right about the theme. I'll give you that. However, the way the theme was brought about was not a straightforward manner. It was how the author penned it out. It was meant to touch him/her because the lyrics were self-reflecting.

Erm... If I listened to guitars and drumming only... then there wouldn't be much of a distinction between punk and pop-punk. That one's all theme.

But it CAN be straightforward, unless the gods of emo soent some memo out that I didn't get saying that all emo had to be written in the exact same way.

J Lock
04-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Erm... If I listened to guitars and drumming only... then there wouldn't be much of a distinction between punk and pop-punk. That one's all theme.

But it CAN be straightforward, unless the gods of emo soent some memo out that I didn't get saying that all emo had to be written in the exact same way.

Uh... eeehhh.
True pop-punk yes.
However, it is still discernable from punk.
Pop-punk has a more upbeat approach to it.
So.. no.

Usually = more often than not. Some exceptions, however they keep to their roots.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
let me get this straight...pop-punk music and punk music are the same, aside from vocals/lyrics sung...damn you guys really have the pop-punk band list wrong then...relient k? hah

MrLucky77713
04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Uh... eeehhh.
True pop-punk yes.
However, it is still discernable from punk.
Pop-punk has a more upbeat approach to it.
So.. no.

Usually = more often than not. Some exceptions, however they keep to their roots.

I didn't say they'd be EXACTLY the same, but someone new might not be able to tell the difference, and sometimes the lines are a little blurry. They'd be very similar, but yes still different.

so... yes.

MrLucky77713
04-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by emoISaDEADgenre
let me get this straight...pop-punk music and punk music are the same, aside from vocals/lyrics sung...damn you guys really have the pop-punk band list wrong then...relient k? hah

(Sorry to double post, but I'm doing the whole quote thing...)

They aren't the same, they're just really quite similar. It's all simplified, just pop-punk trades some passion/anger for catchiness and is a bit more upbeat. I never said they were the same.

SIMILAR /= SAME

J Lock
04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
You just contradicted yourself.
Very badly might I add.

Grovermans
04-19-2005, 12:02 AM
so did you, biznatch....

I'm not proved wrong.

EDIT: and he didn't contradict himself. "/=" means "doesn't equal".

J Lock
04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Thats two different things dipshit.
One was bad grammar (me)
The other was contradicting a point he just made.

He just said pop-punk and punk are the same
The very next post he said they aren't.

Douche bag. I know what /= means.
Why don't you read the post.

You already made the point.
It was bad grammar on my part.
Whats with you and repeating retarded points that don't have to do with anything?

Grovermans
04-19-2005, 12:05 PM
he said they're very similar, not the same.

EDIT: and you're criticising me for repeating retarded points? oh come on now...

MrLucky77713
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM

I've bolded what you're referring to. You're wrong, J Lock. There's a difference between a little and none.

J Lock
04-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm saying there is a difference between pop-punk and punk.
I don't think I'm catching where you are going with this.

Dear Grovermans,
Hi. How are you? Good? That's good. Nice weather we're experiencing aren't we? Yes, yes. Well, nice chatting with you. Thank you, come again. kthnxbye.

Grovermans
04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
he's saying there's a difference too. they're just similar.

J Lock
04-19-2005, 07:51 PM
OOoooooohhhh.
Wow.
My bad on that one.
My bad indeed.
Totally misread one of the posts.

I said that in the first place, why did he try and contend it?

MrLucky77713
04-19-2005, 07:56 PM
It was something about theme having little/nothing to do with it, and to hear the difference one should mostly pay attention to guitars and drumming. I contended that that makes for a rather small distinction between punk and pop-punk, and any kind of thing like that, especially if you compare the difference in that area to the difference in theme.

J Lock
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Oh right,
Ok I think you can clearly hear the difference.
I mean listen to The Descendents and then listen to Leftover Crack.
Theme has a lot to do with everything, but so does the musical styling.
I think musical styling edges out theme in reference to pop-punk and emo. (The definition of emo I've presented anyway)

MrLucky77713
04-20-2005, 07:59 PM
^ False generalitzation and straw man.

The lines are blurred even in the terms of Leftover Crack, though. Ever heard So You Wanna Be a Cop? It's the same pattern and drumming as in pop-punk. Without words, you could be fooled. Gang Control sounds more like a Ska song. Ya Can't Go Home doesn't quite sound like a punk song either... Hell the instruments almost sound emo. The instrumentals are different, but the vocals and theme are still larger.

I can provide more examples if you aren't convinced.

mackdaddy
04-21-2005, 02:18 AM
For reference i have made this image of an emo album cover.
Now, if you see a CD in the store, and arent sure if it is emo, compare it to this

http://img246.echo.cx/img246/8699/mostemothingever8pz.jpg

Now, im not saying that all heart-emblazoned or mix-tape emblazoned cds are emo, but a good lot are.

MrLucky77713
04-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Right then... Can we get a mod to delete or resize that pic or something? That garbage is way too big and messy.

dre-0
04-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Thank you for this topic. I wanted an answer to what is emo. I believe i understand it more.

thanks

milk_it_good
04-26-2005, 04:45 AM
I've slowly been realising something over the last few months, especially since I've become more engrossed in music. It is this; Genres are VERY general! Hence the name. It is hard to box a band into a certain style, almost every band has it's own style, that is originality. So how can you possibly categorize them? Well, you stick them in with a group that sound similar and PRESTO you have a genre!!!
What I'm trying to express is that people should not stress out and have bitter arguments over who is in what genre.
Question: Are The Used emo?

MrLucky77713
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
^Main genres are general, but subgenres are not, and in some cases get too specific. There's a fine line.

The Used? I'm not too sure. I would say so, but I could be wrong. Did you check the list? They've thought about it more than I

emoISaDEADgenre
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
the used are too mainstream and popish to be emo, plus the lyrics dont fit...or the vocals really

TheUsed_812
04-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Emo, I think there are several different versions of it, I dunno, yeah, I like your explanation best though, much easier than telling it by myself, now whenever people ask me what emo is I can tell them to read what you wrote, thanxs!

MrLucky77713
04-28-2005, 12:26 PM
the used are too mainstream and popish to be emo, plus the lyrics dont fit...or the vocals really

A band can have pop elements and be emo, and fanbase ahs nothing to do with it. Now I'm no master of the Used, but isn't most of their subject matter and lyrical styling in the style of poppier emo bands like TBS and BN? Albiet maybe a little rougher?

emoISaDEADgenre
04-28-2005, 06:43 PM
A band can have pop elements and be emo, and fanbase ahs nothing to do with it. Now I'm no master of the Used, but isn't most of their subject matter and lyrical styling in the style of poppier emo bands like TBS and BN? Albiet maybe a little rougher?
you might have had a worth while arguement if those bands were actually emo...but they arent

MrLucky77713
04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
^Except that.... they are.... I'm getting exceedingly tired of this "no bands past 1989 are emo." thing. The whole idea of genres developing and changing is really so foreign? Damn.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-28-2005, 11:00 PM
^i cant recall ever saying that emo was limited to 1989 and below...b/c well i never did nor do i think that. and yes genres do evolve and develope however i fail to see the roots that tbs and bn have to what would origanally be classified as emo. there however are roots that can be easily traced in real emo bands, and hey, some do still exsist today, they just dont happen to be tbs or bn or the used or any of that mainstream stuff.

J Lock
04-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi.
I'm back after a rigorous schedule of finals and such.
Shall I pick up where I left off?

MrLucky77713
04-29-2005, 12:48 PM
^i cant recall ever saying that emo was limited to 1989 and below...b/c well i never did nor do i think that. and yes genres do evolve and develope however i fail to see the roots that tbs and bn have to what would origanally be classified as emo. there however are roots that can be easily traced in real emo bands, and hey, some do still exsist today, they just dont happen to be tbs or bn or the used or any of that mainstream stuff.

the 1989 thing was a joke...

The roots? How about the theme? Seems pretty common to me. If you missed that bit you've really got to actually look at the music.

Is your beef the fact that some bands are mainstream? Is that what gets you? I just don't understand.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-30-2005, 10:34 AM
the 1989 thing was a joke...

The roots? How about the theme? Seems pretty common to me. If you missed that bit you've really got to actually look at the music.

Is your beef the fact that some bands are mainstream? Is that what gets you? I just don't understand.
by theme do you mean lyrics?...b/c i cant see how you can argue that one small aspect of the music can, as a whole, put the band in a genre. and i hate to break it to you..but any band from any genre can sing about a love lost/personal experience and they dont neccasarily have to be emo.

and its not the mainstream part. one of my favorite bands system of a down is extremely mainstream...though a different genre. but ive seen both glassjaw and sunny day real estate on tv before and that doesnt bother me a bit, im happy they have made money.

MrLucky77713
04-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Because the lyrics of emo was one of the like two things that separated it from regular hardcore. Theme and a slightly more melodic approach to instrumentals.

The theme/lyrics of emo is not small. It's it's fucking defining cooncept. Emotional Harccore...
I'm WELL aware that other bands will sing songs about that, but it isn't their main purpose, and they aren't often singing EVERY song about it.

emoISaDEADgenre
04-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Because the lyrics of emo was one of the like two things that separated it from regular hardcore. Theme and a slightly more melodic approach to instrumentals.

The theme/lyrics of emo is not small. It's it's fucking defining cooncept. Emotional Harccore...
I'm WELL aware that other bands will sing songs about that, but it isn't their main purpose, and they aren't often singing EVERY song about it.
ummm? im not sure i understand what you just said...specifics please

MrLucky77713
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Emotional Hardcore was seen as different because it strayed so far from traditional punk/hardcore themes (which tended to be anger/upheaval/etc.). Additionally, some emo bands were far more melodic than their hardcore counterparts (this increased melodic focus has been taken way way far by some bands like Bright Eyes and less far with some screamo bands).

Now, umm what exactly do you want examples of?

emoISaDEADgenre
05-01-2005, 12:14 AM
no that was good. i was just confused. i understand where you are coming from and even agree BUT i cant seem to take that and connect it with the bands you say are emo (tbs,bn,dc,the used, ect.)

J Lock
05-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Look at the lyrics of The Beatles, more specifically In My Life and Misery.
Emotional.
Does that make them emo?

MrLucky77713
05-01-2005, 07:41 AM
^That's one song... It isn't their entire repretoire.

J Lock
05-01-2005, 12:36 PM
That's two songs actually.
About half of their songs are like that.
The Night Before, Nowhere Man, Help.
At which point do you draw the line?

pixiesfanyo
05-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Emotional Hardcore was seen as different because it strayed so far from traditional punk/hardcore themes (which tended to be anger/upheaval/etc.). Additionally, some emo bands were far more melodic than their hardcore counterparts (this increased melodic focus has been taken way way far by some bands like Bright Eyes and less far with some screamo bands).

Now, umm what exactly do you want examples of?

hahahhahahhaha

Less far with screamo bands???

Are you an idiot?

Listen to most of the screamo coming out of the '97 through early 2000s scene and it's extremely melodic. Saetia, City of Caterpillar, etc.

Hot Cross has harmony with their vocalists.

...you are stupid.

Emo evolved.. but not into Bright Eyes.

Bright Eyes has gone from acoustic rock to indie rock to folk rock.

He's been rock the entire time.

Taking Back Sunday is Modern Rock with Pop-punk infulences. Same with Brand New.

Emo is currently lead by bands like Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross.

You are wrong. Face it.

Jearl
05-01-2005, 04:25 PM
After Classic Rock, Blues, and Jam Bands...Emo is probably my next favorite genre. lol

except for the ones that scream...or screamo i suppose that would be.

MrLucky77713
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
hahahhahahhaha

Less far with screamo bands???

Are you an idiot?

Listen to most of the screamo coming out of the '97 through early 2000s scene and it's extremely melodic. Saetia, City of Caterpillar, etc.

Hot Cross has harmony with their vocalists.

...you are stupid.

Emo evolved.. but not into Bright Eyes.

Bright Eyes has gone from acoustic rock to indie rock to folk rock.

He's been rock the entire time.

Taking Back Sunday is Modern Rock with Pop-punk infulences. Same with Brand New.

Emo is currently lead by bands like Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross.

You are wrong. Face it.

WOW, you are one rude motherfuc[b][/]b]ker. Chill out, man. It's a debate, not a flame fest. Not all screamo bands are melodic, and those are the ones I've listened to. Besides, in comparison to softer emo bands, they're not as melodic.

TBS = Modern Rock? They don't fit in with 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Wueens of the Stone Age, or Foo Fighters.

Of course BN has pop-punk influences! They started as a pop-punk band. However, with the new alnum they've pushed into emo territory.

Bright Eyes carries that emo theme and songwriting style so heavily that he just isn't indie. However I'll agree that he has some folk songs.

Argue against points and arguments, not people. Attacks ad hominum don't help you, or make you cool. They make you an ass.

J Lock: Well with the Beatles, you're going to see stuff like that. I mean they were the Beatles. Their influence has somehow spread into nearly every genre... and Paul McCartney helped write thir songs, so they'll be lovey dovey. However, while a bit of their stuff might retrospectively be considered a bit emo, it's all restrospective. Besides, lots of their stuff also carried political themes, which is definitely not an emo quality (emo started as specifically NOT singing anything about that... except like personal politics or however that's aesthetically worded).

J Lock
05-04-2005, 03:52 PM
So The Beatles are a retrospective emo band...
And since Paul wrote some songs they would come off like that.
So what about his stuff from the 80's and early nineties that came about during the basic birth of emo?

MrLucky77713
05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Well actually, I've thought about it some more. Their guitar style wasn't at all adopted from punk or hardcore, and the lyrics aren't actually very deep. That's one reason Lennon hated McCartney... He thought he was silly and shallow

Vicious Sid
05-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't know just how far the "Emo/Not Emo" argument has gone off topic, or even if it's still alive, but I have to post this. And yeah, I know I conceded, but this is still quite relevant and I think my position may have reverted.

TBS was on Steven's Untitled Rock Show (one of the few respectable music shows left) a few nights ago, and Steven inquired about their influences. Here's what they said:

Fugazi
Sunny Day Real Estate
Elliot
The Refused

The new guitarist is also a huge Dag Nasty fan. Obviously, there are more influences mixed in, but that's more than enough to disprove that whole "Didn't evolve" theory.

Your move, Jared.

J Lock
05-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Well actually, I've thought about it some more. Their guitar style wasn't at all adopted from punk or hardcore, and the lyrics aren't actually very deep. That's one reason Lennon hated McCartney... He thought he was silly and shallow

So it depends on the guitar styling now?
Well the guitar styling of Brand New aren't adopted from either punk or hardcore.

Lennon also wanted to delve more into the art of music, McCartney wanted to tour and make money which is one of the reasons he started Wings right after The Beatles. Another reason he went to touring right away is because Linda kinda told him to.

Oh and to Vicious Sid:
Ther's a difference between being a fan and actually having their influence in their music.
I don't hear any influences of Dag Nasty or The Refused in Taking Back Sunday.
I'm a fan of Eminem, but I don't have any of his influences in my band..

MrLucky77713
05-05-2005, 02:21 PM
B.S. Brand New doesn't have that guitar influence. Driving power chords with distortion? Wonder where they pulled that? I don't like to argue as much about Brand New though.. I wish they'd go back to being pop-punk... they were better at it.

Guitar is a part of it, but it isn't quite so huge as theme and lyrics in my mind... It isn't just guitar, anyway. It's more the lack of [lyrical] depth.

pixiesfanyo
05-05-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't know just how far the "Emo/Not Emo" argument has gone off topic, or even if it's still alive, but I have to post this. And yeah, I know I conceded, but this is still quite relevant and I think my position may have reverted.

TBS was on Steven's Untitled Rock Show (one of the few respectable music shows left) a few nights ago, and Steven inquired about their influences. Here's what they said:

Fugazi
Sunny Day Real Estate
Elliot
The Refused

The new guitarist is also a huge Dag Nasty fan. Obviously, there are more influences mixed in, but that's more than enough to disprove that whole "Didn't evolve" theory.

Your move, Jared.

When I see TBS acutally reflect what they say.. then I'll agree.

SDRE isn't an emo band, they are an indie band. Fugazi is post-hardcore which is extremely similar to emo. Elliot is alternative-rock/indie, The Refused are a hardcore band.

Dag Nasty is emo so that's cool, but once again they don't reflect the music.

Guitar is a part of it, but it isn't quite so huge as theme and lyrics in my mind... It isn't just guitar, anyway. It's more the lack of [lyrical] depth.

Emo has it's own guitar styling, it's own drums style, it's own vocals, and it's own everything. You can't say just because a band writes lyrics with tons of metaphors about teenage love it makes them emo.

MrLucky77713
05-05-2005, 03:24 PM
^I didn't say a thing about teenage love, mate. It does have it's own vocals, but the guitar and drums are adapted from punk and hardcore. Most emo bands are UNDENIABLY tied to those genres musically/instrumentally. However, "softer" emo bands might take more from indie than punk/hardcore. I've gone over the two "tracts" of emo, before.

pixiesfanyo
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Look.

Emo = Emotional Hardcore

You can't have "softer" emo.

You can say that a band is infulenced by emo bands but it's impossible to have a "soft" hardcore band.

Emo has made itself different from Hardcore by becoming more "epic". The songs now are more carefully orchestrated and have more instrumental numbers.

See: City of Caterpillar/Off Minor

J Lock
05-05-2005, 06:13 PM
B.S. Brand New doesn't have that guitar influence. Driving power chords with distortion? Wonder where they pulled that? I don't like to argue as much about Brand New though.. I wish they'd go back to being pop-punk... they were better at it.

Korn has driving power chords with distortion.
So does Three Days Grace.
So does The Vines, Nickleback, Alterbridge, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, and etc., etc.

Are they pop-punk?

MrLucky77713
05-06-2005, 03:52 PM
It's also a simplified style, so most of those bands don't fit. Korn scoops and used a totally different style. So their guitar is reminiscient and borrowed from the punk style, but the rest of it isn't.

Besides.

a) I said guitar wasn't a big part.
b) You're just setting up illogical arguments. Straw mans, converse accidents, enough.

J Lock
05-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Yes but your using the same 'straw' argument to link Dashboard Confessional to early emo, that they both include emotion.

I'm just pointing out that your saying is qualifications for pop-punk and emo, other bands have that have no linking to either genre.

MrLucky77713
05-06-2005, 08:06 PM
A straw argument is setting up an opponent's argument to easily knock it down and discredit them. I haven't done that. My explanation for bands like Bright eyes and DC is that they take a bit more from indie than hardcore. Remember that "two tract" thing? That's my stance.

TheInfectis
05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Here are a few definitions I picked up from www.urbandictionary.com:

2. Emo
Punk music on estrogen. Often acoustic guitar with soft, high male vocals that dwell exessively on the singer's feelings, especially melancholy remembrances of past relationships/mistakes in life. A form of music that diverged from punk in the '80s, the name "emo" is derived from the emotive style of the lyrics and music. This genre has lately been marketed heavily by the music industry to teenagers with bands such as Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday, and has seen much commercial and mainstream success. The music has also spawned a subculture which conforms to certain conventions in dress such as tight sweatshirts, tight band T-shirts and horn-rim glasses. Adherents profess to exessively melancholy temperments. Males that adhere to the emo subculture are sometimes confused with metrosexuals; indeed the line between the two is somwhat blurred, though both groups claim to be intouch with their emotional side. The ephemeral and hackneyed nature of emo songwriting suggests that its audience will be restricted largely to teenagers. the genre suffers from a lack of credibility outside the aforementioned demographic group, much like current Nu Metal bands.

TheInfectis
05-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Another good one:

An entire subculture of people (usually angsty teens) with a fake personality. The concept of Emo is actually a vicious cycle that never ends, to the utter failing of humanity, and it goes something like this:

1. Girls say they like "sensitive guys" (lie)
2. Guy finds out, so he listens to faggy emo music and dresses like a dork so chicks will see that he is sensitive and not afraid to express himself (lie). He dyes his hair black, wraps himself in a stupid looking scarf, develops an eating disorder, and rants about how "nobody understands".
3. Now an emo guy, he meets Emo chick and they start dating, talking about how their well-off suburban lifestyles are terrible and depressing (lie)
4. Emo guy is just too much of a pussy. His penis is too small, he's too depressed to bathe, and has more mood swings than emo chick, and he doesn't even have a menstrual cycle. Emo chick dumps him, saying "It's not you, it's me." (lie) as she drives off with Wayne, the school jock and captain of the football team.
5. Emo guy goes home and cries, proceeds to write a weak song and strum a single string on his acoustic guitar. Another emo chick sees how he is so in touch with his feelings, and the cycle continues.

ANOTHER:
My Sig

pixiesfanyo
05-10-2005, 06:09 PM
^ Your almost as funny as Jamie Kennedy.

TheInfectis
05-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I didn't make those up. They are from a website. Not trying to be funny. Just trying to get the truth out....

Andrewbiles
05-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TheInfectis
ANOTHER:
My Sig

Yes, another. Which happened to appear.......

2. Emo
Punk music on estrogen. Often acoustic guitar with soft, high....

..... You're clearly original :rolleyes:
If you don't like emo, stay the f*ck out of this forum. Everyone's seen urbandictionary and realised it's yet another pointless part of the world wide web, if you want to try and be amusing when trying to insult a genre, come up with something new.

McFlyBabe
05-11-2005, 06:56 AM
i kinda had it figured what emo was, but that just totally made it clear:) Thanks!

kryptonite22
05-11-2005, 07:49 AM
I didn't make those up. They are from a website. Not trying to be funny. Just trying to get the truth out.... Yes. The truth...

Fuck off.

TheInfectis
05-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by McFlyBabe
i kinda had it figured what emo was, but that just totally made it clear:) Thanks!

See, I helped someone so you fuck off.

SilenceEvolves
05-11-2005, 05:29 PM
See, I helped someone so you fuck off.

What in her post made you assume she was referring to you, exactly?

J Lock
05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
This has gone way off topic.

Lucky guy, I was merely pointing out that all your qualifications that emo should have now, other bands have. Like The Beatles, KoRn, Ashley Simpson, and etc. that shouldn't have any links to emo.

The only thing that emo should be comparable with, is hardcore.

TheInfectis
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SilenceEvolves
What in her post made you assume she was referring to you, exactly?

And in her post/name made you assume she's a girl? Just because Babe is in his/her name means nothing.

Andrewbiles
05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
TheInfectis, shut up before I warn you for spamming.

This has gone way off topic.

Lucky guy, I was merely pointing out that all your qualifications that emo should have now, other bands have. Like The Beatles, KoRn, Ashley Simpson, and etc. that shouldn't have any links to emo.

The only thing that emo should be comparable with, is hardcore.

Well at least it's a change from you babbling on about the same thing over and over.

MrLucky77713
05-11-2005, 08:36 PM
1: Even if that's what I meant, why shouldn't they?

2: No... It is comparable to either hardcore or indie. Seems overly diverse... it isn't. Sure there's emo subgenres like pop-emo (apparantly you like to call it.... femo?) that add pop-punk.

emoISaDEADgenre
05-11-2005, 09:31 PM
1: Even if that's what I meant, why shouldn't they?

2: No... It is comparable to either hardcore or indie. Seems overly diverse... it isn't. Sure there's emo subgenres like pop-emo (apparantly you like to call it.... femo?) that add pop-punk.

1: why shouldnt they? um i think you yourself earlier in this convo pointed out reasons why they couldnt be...then again the reasons you point out are as weak as the reasons that you use to defend you thinking about whats emo...im pretty sure that was the point of number this "1" in the first place.

2:indie is another arguement and not one you can really use. indie can be anything...i mean really, there's even indie hiphop, and you cant say that that has any comparable aspects with emo. indie=indepentant label...sersiously, i think the short names for genres mess up peoples thinking....

as for pop-emo. no. you cant just put pop infront of everything you WANT to be related to a genre thats clearly not just so you can have your way. i mean pop-punk for instints, it works. the lyrical themes change though the music stays relatitively the same, maybe simpler. but with emo if you change the lyrics then the important aspect of emotional lyrics which contributes to the name is gone, and if on the other hand you make the music simpler...well this may be an opinion, but i always thought melodlic isnt simple at all. so making it more basic would completely take away from any relation what so ever. in short, pop-emo doesnt exsist b/c it really cant.

J Lock
05-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Femo = fake emo, not pop-emo.
Fake emo are bands that are called, or call themselves emo and have no connection to the actual genre whatsoever. I.E. = Dashboard Confessional or anything Chris Caraba related.

And to andrewbi:
Oh you.
That was almost amusing.