What The Heck Is Emo?

PDA

View Full Version : What The Heck Is Emo?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

punked_crash
05-12-2005, 03:51 AM
well - yeah like everyone`s got to thank duke9738 for starting this topic on what the hell emo is . in the forum, that is . but basically the definitions of emo really really vary . cos look at everyone . everyone`s got this "i-know-whats-emo-and-don't-try-to-educate-me" thing . and everyone thinks differently on what exactly emo is . so yeah . some people nowadays don`t give a **** about what emo is anymore . it`s a sad case - but hell - if they like the music, they like it . if they don`t, then they don`t .

er so yeah . lol . thanks duke9738 for the post anyway .!

MrLucky77713
05-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by emoISaDEADgenre
1: why shouldnt they? um i think you yourself earlier in this convo pointed out reasons why they couldnt be...then again the reasons you point out are as weak as the reasons that you use to defend you thinking about whats emo...im pretty sure that was the point of number this "1" in the first place.

2:indie is another arguement and not one you can really use. indie can be anything...i mean really, there's even indie hiphop, and you cant say that that has any comparable aspects with emo. indie=indepentant label...sersiously, i think the short names for genres mess up peoples thinking....

as for pop-emo. no. you cant just put pop infront of everything you WANT to be related to a genre thats clearly not just so you can have your way. i mean pop-punk for instints, it works. the lyrical themes change though the music stays relatitively the same, maybe simpler. but with emo if you change the lyrics then the important aspect of emotional lyrics which contributes to the name is gone, and if on the other hand you make the music simpler...well this may be an opinion, but i always thought melodlic isnt simple at all. so making it more basic would completely take away from any relation what so ever. in short, pop-emo doesnt exsist b/c it really cant.

II mean like the sound stereotyped to most indie rock... alternative is more likely the more proper name.

I'm not arguing that those bands are or actually could be... it's just that everything has to be examined, and it seems like you aren't quite willing to examine much.

Pop-emo doesn't change the lyrics, it changes the guitar style (even if it did... you can be more simple and still emotional. sure it loses a little effect but at the same time it still works). Pop is both a style and sound. It's catchy and simplistic. Add those things to the alt-emo (want me to change the namne? you got it) sound and you've got TBS and BN.

How far the music is simplified is up to the artist. But listen, BN and TBS are clearly more simplistic than many emo bands and, I agree, are less melodic. That doesn't mean they aren't.

The definition you're giving for emo is just so so narrow, and emo is a broad genre. It isn't "pure emo," I submit to that... but just because it isn't pure, doesn't mean that 1) emo is unchanging or that B) if it isn't pure it isn't emo at all. Punk's a great example of this. Pop-punk isn't pure punk... but that's still there and it's still then punk.

frying nemo08
05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by punked_crash
well - yeah like everyone`s got to thank duke9738 for starting this topic on what the hell emo is . in the forum, that is . but basically the definitions of emo really really vary . cos look at everyone . everyone`s got this "i-know-whats-emo-and-don't-try-to-educate-me" thing . and everyone thinks differently on what exactly emo is . so yeah . some people nowadays don`t give a **** about what emo is anymore . it`s a sad case - but hell - if they like the music, they like it . if they don`t, then they don`t .

er so yeah . lol . thanks duke9738 for the post anyway .! wait what are you trying to say:confused: are you saying that we need one definitive definition for the word emo, so we can all check ourselves to make sure we fall into that criteria before calling ourselves emo? or are you saying that the stereotypes for emo have gone too far and that people looking from the outside need to realise that not all so-called "emo kids" dont sit in corner of their room and cut themselves?

sorry but i really didnt understand your post

emoISaDEADgenre
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
mr lucky i can see where you are coming from but pop-emo really cant exsist. the whole idea of emo was taking a genre (hardcore) and changing it to a more complicated melodic form of guitar playing because the artist thought themselves limited. yes the lyrics are more personal, not always emotional like overly emotional, but really, when you change the guitar playing it really does change the genre. i mean in essence going more basic is bringing the music back to that limited form of hardcore. and if in your case it is sounded more like indie or w/e then honesly its just alternative rock...or it could be pop-punk. i say pop-punk because emo came from hardcore punk and if you were to really make it more basic it would go backwards into a more punk form making it pop-punk.

and my definition isnt narrow, if youd like i could probably compile a list of bands longer then the fake one you have here.

J Lock
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Touche.
Touche.

This is where i left an arguement awhile ago due to school. Pop-punk is not actually TBS or Funeral For a Friend. Those are power-pop. It's more like the Descedents, The Buzzcocks, The Queers, and BigWig. It's punk with more melody and catchiness.

Now, take a look at the lyrics of 3 of these bands:
"forget the broken backed stretch across a painted
background you've never experienced.
forget the lazy days of daydream departure to faraway
laughs you've never heard.
forget the backwards walk through liminal windows you
never knew existed."

"I?I believed?memory might mirror no reflections on me,

I?I believed?that in forgetting I might set myself free.

But I woke up this morning with a piece of past caught in my throat?
And then I choked.

I bled?I tried to hide the heart from the head.
And I?I said I bled?In the arms of a girl I'd barely met.

And I woke up this morning with the present in splinters on the ground?
And then I drowned.

And if I can't see it?s for want of?you "

"Make a big scene
Make this glass house my coffin
You missed the big picture
Well it?s the words that you?re coughing out on your sleeve
So forge my sins here in song
Well I?m telling you now what you?ve known all along
And it?s tired, So true, More subtle than you
There?s a lull in the stereo
It?s calling for you (Calling for you)
It?s calling for you"

Now, you can see how the first two leave much for interpretation. The third is just straightforward. The 3rd is meant to just reach you on the surface, not much thought to it. The other two use a more poetic style of writing.

So the lyrics didn't change either, just the guitar style?

MattDaviesFFAF
05-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Whoa, that post has me so confused, are we supposed to hear guitars when we read it r what? coz if we are, there's something wrong with my computer............:confused: (:) )

MrLucky77713
05-16-2005, 05:26 PM
mr lucky i can see where you are coming from but pop-emo really cant exsist. the whole idea of emo was taking a genre (hardcore) and changing it to a more complicated melodic form of guitar playing because the artist thought themselves limited. yes the lyrics are more personal, not always emotional like overly emotional, but really, when you change the guitar playing it really does change the genre. i mean in essence going more basic is bringing the music back to that limited form of hardcore. and if in your case it is sounded more like indie or w/e then honesly its just alternative rock...or it could be pop-punk. i say pop-punk because emo came from hardcore punk and if you were to really make it more basic it would go backwards into a more punk form making it pop-punk.

and my definition isnt narrow, if youd like i could probably compile a list of bands longer then the fake one you have here.

I don't consider that list to be fake, but to be fair I haven't heard them all.

I've always been a subscriber to the notion that emo is simply hardcore with an emotional charge, straying from the typical hardcore themes of anger and/or socio-political stuff. The melodic part is just the translation of that idea onto the guitar.

Therefore we have original emo, a more melodic form of hardcore/punk with emotional themes straying from typical anger and/or socio-political stuff in original hardcore/punk

So then we can conclude that pop-emo would be really pop-punk mixed with emo. Or more specifically...

pop-emo: A different take on emo borrowing the guitar styles of punk, simplifying the form from the original emo, but adding to the melodic-ness (is there a real word for that?) and carrying over emo themes.

Pop-punk tends to carry a lighter, less mature theme to it, and focuses way more on being catchy, so pop-emo isn't really pop-punk.

trancee_xo
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
nice work =]

hopefully that did clear up some peopels questions about what emo is..

emoISaDEADgenre
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by MrLucky77713
I don't consider that list to be fake, but to be fair I haven't heard them all.

I've always been a subscriber to the notion that emo is simply hardcore with an emotional charge, straying from the typical hardcore themes of anger and/or socio-political stuff. The melodic part is just the translation of that idea onto the guitar.

Therefore we have original emo, a more melodic form of hardcore/punk with emotional themes straying from typical anger and/or socio-political stuff in original hardcore/punk

So then we can conclude that pop-emo would be really pop-punk mixed with emo. Or more specifically...

pop-emo: A different take on emo borrowing the guitar styles of punk, simplifying the form from the original emo, but adding to the melodic-ness (is there a real word for that?) and carrying over emo themes.

Pop-punk tends to carry a lighter, less mature theme to it, and focuses way more on being catchy, so pop-emo isn't really pop-punk.
that makes no sense what so ever and completetly contridicts itself. Emo wouldn't/couldn't borrow punk guitar styles more then it already has on the count of thats how it was created...i mean are you missing something? sure it was borrowed from hardcore punk but the only difference is the faster tempo. and then you write simplifying the form from the original emo but adding to the melodic-ness...that made me laugh. do you even know what melodic means? b/c if you did youd know that making something simple and melodic at the same time is impossible b/c in this case the words are practically oppisites.

as for the difference between what you would say is pop-punk and what you would say is pop-emo also doesnt really make sense since being catchy is pretty much the main goal of anything pop.

but i do agree that pop-emo would be a good thing to call the bands on that list (at least better) and i also think it would be most benificial to have a list true emo bands. ( i feel that true emo bands is a good way to refer to it since thats how "true" punk doesnt seem to be stuck with pop-punk on this site) and again, i could make a pretty big list of those if you wanted.

The Fiddler
05-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Hope I dont get flamed for this...

Emo is NOT misunderstood. It is understood that it is popular music with little substance or sophistication versus most other spin-offs of rock. No more than 5 different Powerchords and some quarter note melodies...Stay away from Emo unless you are a teen female (or male who has s ****load of girl problems).

Although I'll give it credit as music (unlike Rap, which is not), it is not what you call good or even decent music.

Gurgle!Argh!
05-21-2005, 08:39 AM
^you've just proved that emo is understood by that stunning display of idiocy. cheers!

:cheers:

MrLucky77713
05-21-2005, 09:07 AM
that makes no sense what so ever and completetly contridicts itself. Emo wouldn't/couldn't borrow punk guitar styles more then it already has on the count of thats how it was created...i mean are you missing something? sure it was borrowed from hardcore punk but the only difference is the faster tempo. and then you write simplifying the form from the original emo but adding to the melodic-ness...that made me laugh. do you even know what melodic means? b/c if you did youd know that making something simple and melodic at the same time is impossible b/c in this case the words are practically oppisites.

as for the difference between what you would say is pop-punk and what you would say is pop-emo also doesnt really make sense since being catchy is pretty much the main goal of anything pop.

but i do agree that pop-emo would be a good thing to call the bands on that list (at least better) and i also think it would be most benificial to have a list true emo bands. ( i feel that true emo bands is a good way to refer to it since thats how "true" punk doesnt seem to be stuck with pop-punk on this site) and again, i could make a pretty big list of those if you wanted.

You misunderstand. It adds to the melodicness of POP-PUNK, not emo. Therefore it mixes. It simplifies emo, and at the same time adds melody to pop-punk.

It would be taking more from regular punk or pop-punk than it would from emo, so it does make sense. Simplified emo or melodic, deeper pop-punk. Depends on your personal take. They are one and the same, though.

There are two punk lists because of the forum separation. Otherwise it would be one, and I'm still of the notion that it's all still emo. The way the energy is used doesn't change the genre, so long as that energy and passion is there.l

emoISaDEADgenre
05-21-2005, 03:25 PM
well if what you say is true, they are one in the same then it would be some what obvious which to call what. think of it this way, if you called it emo, itd be a devovled version of, and if you called it pop-punk it would be a more evolved version. I guess using your logic its just a matter of if you WANT to call it emo...and the only reason i think anyone would go as far to say that a genre has devolved and gone more commercial (which is what seperates pop-punk from punk so you have to call it pop-emo) then youd only be saying b/c you obviously want to be part of the trend. Because you honestly cant say there arent bands today that still are easily classified as emo, meaning that the genre as a whole has not taken that turn, so at most, the bands you speak of could only be some far off sub-genre...but that wouldnt give them the name emo. anywho, i really think there should many lists. one for screamo, one for "pop-emo" and one for emo, it seems fairist to me.

Random Player
05-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by The Fiddler
Hope I dont get flamed for this...

Emo is NOT misunderstood. It is understood that it is popular music with little substance or sophistication versus most other spin-offs of rock. No more than 5 different Powerchords and some quarter note melodies...Stay away from Emo unless you are a teen female (or male who has s ****load of girl problems).

Although I'll give it credit as music (unlike Rap, which is not), it is not what you call good or even decent music.

I Think You have it all wrong .... Some "Emo" music is rather complex.. the guitar/bass/drums work can be quite well composed ..... the way it fits together.... the "5 different power chords" idea is modern pop music.. like blink 182 and Greenday.

But Most Emo music is strongly related to metal .. whereas some is more acoustic and classical... its quite a versitile genre.

My Opinion

I Thank you

init4thefashion
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
^emo touching classical? are u reffering to the intro of TSL's "Ready"? LOLZVILLE, emo never touches classical with a ten foot pole, that wud destroy emo as a genre

emoIsaDEADgenre you need to type enter once and a while when you post it makes your ramblings easier to follow
I do agree we could stand a few dif band lists
though there are many stickies

init4thefashion
05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by punked_crash

er so yeah . lol . thanks duke9738 for the post anyway .!

you're welcome

Random Player
05-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Ok i see your point about the classical part.. yeah thats a load of crap........ So your saying that Emo "writers" and Artists have no talent...

I belive that Emo is a Variation Of Punk. not a completely new genre.

J Lock
05-23-2005, 06:59 PM
It was a variation of hardcore.
Old school hardcore.
Like hardcore punk.
Then it branched off into its own genre.

MrLucky77713
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
well if what you say is true, they are one in the same then it would be some what obvious which to call what. think of it this way, if you called it emo, itd be a devovled version of, and if you called it pop-punk it would be a more evolved version. I guess using your logic its just a matter of if you WANT to call it emo...and the only reason i think anyone would go as far to say that a genre has devolved and gone more commercial (which is what seperates pop-punk from punk so you have to call it pop-emo) then youd only be saying b/c you obviously want to be part of the trend. Because you honestly cant say there arent bands today that still are easily classified as emo, meaning that the genre as a whole has not taken that turn, so at most, the bands you speak of could only be some far off sub-genre...but that wouldnt give them the name emo. anywho, i really think there should many lists. one for screamo, one for "pop-emo" and one for emo, it seems fairist to me.

Your definition of pop-punk is wrong. Commercial has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, some bands are more like the older ones than others, but that doesn't mean theyre the only emo bands. The genre has changed. For example, punk doesn't sound like what it used to. It's changed. Compare Bad Religion or Propagandhi to the Clash or the Sex Pistols. They're not close at all. Does that mean that the only bands that can be at all punk are bands that mimic the Clash and Pistols? Not a chance. Change is the name of the game, and that's what has happened. Sure, some bands keep the old way, but it isn't a requirement. There's a million different ways to get the effect of emo, not all of it is to your liking, and not all of it is so closely easily reminiscient of the original, but it's still emo because that's their whole goal.

TBS - Simpler, doesn't scream. They use their energy/passion to just yell it out (they sing loudly, it's how their voices get so high) and put some drive into the guitar.

Brand New does much of the same thing.

emoISaDEADgenre
05-23-2005, 10:53 PM
it could evolve and has evolved. but not into tbs and brand new. look at bands like cursive, mineral, sunny day real estate. they all have newer (late 90s atleast) emo stuff. Compare that with Rites of Spring and Idian Summer. Of coarse they have evolved! Look at Pedro the Lion and The Appleseed Cast (today and 2001ish and such) They have evolved too. Alot. Then look at bands like Orchid and Circle takes the Square, are extremely evolved bands. All of these are Emo and none of them sound even close to tbs or brand new. Personally I think there is a fine line between pop-punk and emo, and that can clearly be seen in the band Jawbreaker....Also a band that sounds NOTHING like tbs and brand new.

btw bad religion is pop-punk not punk, so it wouldnt be a very good band to compare...plus when i think of punk I think black flag and dead kennedys

J Lock
05-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Black Flag = Early Hardcore Punk

I've heard an argument that Bad Religion used to be as well or they were the precursor to it, but I don't hear it.

The Clash = Pop-punk as well.

Gurgle!Argh!
05-24-2005, 12:13 PM
it could evolve and has evolved. but not into tbs and brand new. look at bands like cursive, mineral, sunny day real estate. they all have newer (late 90s atleast) emo stuff. Compare that with Rites of Spring and Idian Summer. Of coarse they have evolved! Look at Pedro the Lion and The Appleseed Cast (today and 2001ish and such) They have evolved too. Alot. Then look at bands like Orchid and Circle takes the Square, are extremely evolved bands. All of these are Emo and none of them sound even close to tbs or brand new. Personally I think there is a fine line between pop-punk and emo, and that can clearly be seen in the band Jawbreaker....Also a band that sounds NOTHING like tbs and brand new.

btw bad religion is pop-punk not punk, so it wouldnt be a very good band to compare...plus when i think of punk I think black flag and dead kennedys

if you cant hear a similarity to mineral in tbs you must be deaf.

and pedro the lion aren't emo at all... thats a ridiculous concept...

to be honest, i'm all for calling tbs et al pop-emo.. because i think its an apt description for them.... but you cant deny that there's some relationship...

J Lock
05-24-2005, 06:33 PM
There is no relationship with TBS and emo.

Theres very little similiarity at all to them and Mineral.

But Mineral weren't emo at all.

MrLucky77713
05-24-2005, 07:47 PM
BR isn't pop-punk. The clash isn't either...

There IS a relationship. just not with hardcore/emo.

Powerslave
05-25-2005, 02:53 PM
okay don't get mad but here's an EMO joke: how many EMO kids does it take to screw in a light bulb? none they all sit in the dark and cry about it?

MrLucky77713
05-25-2005, 03:27 PM
That joke really sucks. It isn't even funny. I wouldn't care if it was actually funny... but it isn't.

Greenfinger182
05-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd morely say that joke is just way overused. WAY overused. I've heard it enough times by now.

emoISaDEADgenre
05-26-2005, 05:23 PM
itd be funnier if "emo kids" exsisted...but really i cant just get past that part since it pisses me off people think you can be a genre...

Gurgle!Argh!
05-26-2005, 06:54 PM
^you can be a fan of a genre too. like you find indie kids, metal kids etc. it doesnt mean you are the genre, it means you like it a lot.

HeyJoe
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
deja entendu oh good godly

J Lock
05-27-2005, 02:49 AM
There's no such thing as an emo kid.

It's femo kid.. or pop-punk kid.

Emo bands don't have fashion.

ddpwr18
05-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Awesome article...Emo is my favorite style of music and you did a great job writing about it

emoISaDEADgenre
05-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Gurgle!Argh!
^you can be a fan of a genre too. like you find indie kids, metal kids etc. it doesnt mean you are the genre, it means you like it a lot.
oh...well i thought he was talking about emo kids as in kids that were emotional...not as in kids that liked emotional hardcore

redrumydoolb
05-29-2005, 08:52 PM
all this is good...but i think to get a real understanding of "emo" you should read "Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo" by andy greenwald...he covers everything in that book...from the kids to the artists to the labels...it's damn good

Stula1031
05-31-2005, 11:33 AM
i hate emo its so girly my little sister loves it though and so do a bunch of seven year olds

Gurgle!Argh!
05-31-2005, 12:09 PM
^^if you can find me a 7 year old who listens to actual emo, i will be very, very shocked.

but funnily enough, i've never encountered a 7 year old who would listen to moss icon for more than a minute. shame...

MrLucky77713
05-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by J Lock
There's no such thing as an emo kid.

It's femo kid.. or pop-punk kid.

Emo bands don't have fashion.

The fashion is a requirement, but you can't tell me that there isn't some cultural continuity in the emo scene, or in any scene. It isn't 100%, but it's there.

You see a mohawk, studs, tattoos, and spikes. What the hell music do you think the kid listens to? Willie Nelson? It isn't a stereotype for no reason at all. That's cultural continuity.

See a guy with a Fubu shirt and a du rag and jeans starting at his knees. What do you think his musical tastes are?

Cowboy hat, snap button down shirt, bandanna around the neck, and a huge ass truck. Gore metal dude, right?

SilenceEvolves
06-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Stula1031
i hate emo its so girly my little sister loves it though and so do a bunch of seven year olds

Six out of the last eleven seven year olds I've slept with listened to classic rock.

So shut up.

J Lock
06-01-2005, 01:21 AM
The fashion is a requirement, but you can't tell me that there isn't some cultural continuity in the emo scene, or in any scene. It isn't 100%, but it's there.

You see a mohawk, studs, tattoos, and spikes. What the hell music do you think the kid listens to? Willie Nelson? It isn't a stereotype for no reason at all. That's cultural continuity.

See a guy with a Fubu shirt and a du rag and jeans starting at his knees. What do you think his musical tastes are?

Cowboy hat, snap button down shirt, bandanna around the neck, and a huge ass truck. Gore metal dude, right?

I'm hoping you meant isn't a requirement..

Actually with the F.U.B.U. shirt and du rag and jeans.. they might very well listen to hardcore. A bunch of my friends do.
There's a hardcore band from NYC where the drummer wears valour.

I agree about the stereotyping, there are certain people who do fit the stereotype (probably because they bit into it because they didn't know how else to define themselves [thats a sociological theory I've come up with]), but that isn't emo fashion. Emo didn't have a fashion.

The girl pants and the dyed-black, gelled hair is a product of pop-punk.
People here would call them emo, but I'm talking about the correct sense of emo.
Look at Green Day. Tight pants and eyeliner. Wa-la.

Gurgle!Argh!
06-01-2005, 06:08 AM
^the point still stands that there will be some cultural continuity within the emo scene... and its inevitable that will become called 'emo fashion'.

to suggest that there is not cultural continuity and pressure to conform within the emo scene is, well, its to go against the best wisdom of pretty much every psychologist ever... :p:

MrLucky77713
06-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah... isn't is the word I was going for...

Fubu loving hardcore bands are a rarity. They're not the trend.

And pop-punk kids wear many different things. They're one of the more diverse genres culturally, because they've gotten so much exposure and such a huge fanbase. Some look like emokids and others look like "normal" kids and some are pocket protector-polo shirt nerdy kids. It's interesting to say the least, but that's neither here nor there.

J Lock
06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
No I'm saying that there is no emo fashion.

That the fashion came from non-emo bands that were mistakingly labelled as emo.

There is no true "emo-fashion" or even "emo-kid"

MrLucky77713
06-04-2005, 01:09 PM
It didn't come from "femo." It came from the punk subculture and from bands that made it "emo" such as Fugazi. Punk -> emo dress isn't such a stretch. It could even just be punk clothing without the stereotypical plaid and studs and leather and spikes.

j0nmcc
06-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by michael-callari
Emo is for fags.

:rolleyes:

Sorry man, but what's the point? If you read the rules of the forum just below this thread, it says if all you have to say is "emo sucks" then don't bother posting.

The truth is, none of us care. If you can't respect our tastes in music, we don't respect yours.

Andrewbiles
06-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by michael-callari
Emo is for fags.

*Warned* Four or five days since coming off a ban as well, congratulations for being a complete idiot.

*Post deleted*

emoISaDEADgenre
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
^why warn/ban people...i mean especially for comments like that. isnt it enough that they make themselves look ignorant?

S.O.T.Y.
06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
^Because tons of people came in at one time mocking emo. It got hectic, and the warnings started.

MrLucky77713
06-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Besides, it goes against UG policy to do that kinda shit.

emoISaDEADgenre
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
censorship sucks though

Grovermans
06-07-2005, 09:31 PM
yeah, censorship can fucking kiss my ass.

Andrewbiles
06-08-2005, 07:13 AM
They get warned because otherwise they don't learn and come back and continue to post things like that, and quite frankly, I find it boring and don't think it's needed, especially when it's their sole purpose to say the genre sucks and then go.

Aka55
06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
I wish someone came in here and actually argued their point...

I'd have fun with him.

It's hard to make someone cry when the only material they gave you was saying your genre sucks...

Grovermans
06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
i dunno, there have been some pretty awesome points made...

"oMgZ lIeK eM0 SuXxX sToP cRy1nG u PuS$iEs!!!!11"

and

"good charlotte suxxx because they're emo and they cry."

Chen928
06-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Aka55

I'd have fun with him.

It's hard to make someone cry when the only material they gave you was saying your genre sucks...

Cas could do it. I believe in his caustic wit.

MrLucky77713
06-10-2005, 03:04 PM
It's just hard to argue a total lack of logic. Really.

emoISaDEADgenre
06-10-2005, 08:02 PM
the only reason why, i think, is because 99% of the people have no idea what emo really is making themselves look ignorant all by themselves

J Lock
06-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Lets give it up for the Saddest Landscape

El Mariachi
06-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Nice Article, good job:cheers:

Andrewbiles
06-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by kmc123
EMO SUCKS THE ****. GO GRAB A BOX OF TISSUE AND CRY YOU PUSSIES. YOU DONT KNO HOW TO MAKE MUSIC AND ALL YOU DO IS CRY ALL THE TIME. WHY DONT YOU GO SHOOT YOURSELVES TO PUT YOURSELVES OUT OF YOUR MISERY INSTEAD OF CRYIN ALL THE TIME YOU FAGS!

*Sigh*

Warned & post deleted

Dashboard89
06-23-2005, 08:49 PM
^ he wasn't even original :rolleyes:

call_of_puppetz
06-26-2005, 10:33 AM
read my signature

Aka55
06-26-2005, 11:26 AM
All bands aren't emotional hardcore...

Lock'n'Load
06-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Aka55
All bands aren't emotional hardcore...

All emo bands aren't hardcore

Dirty Nostalgia
06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Wow, dude, that probably took a lot of your time. But i have to say, it went to the details. :cheers: Thx. People just need to these stuff.

gfh10h
06-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by call_of_puppetz
read my signature

seconded!

Cadd99
06-28-2005, 01:54 AM
Seriously, I think the whole classification of "Emo" is retarded.

If I gave 5 "Emo" listeners a group of 10 bunch of bands that theye've never heard before in their lives, and I told them to each label the bands "Emo" or "Not Emo", I would get 5 different classifications.

Bands are only truly considered "Emo" when it is widely agreed upon that they are that genre.

Everyone has their own definitions of what "Emo" is to them, so let it be like that.

MrLucky77713
06-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by call_of_puppetz
read my signature

I briefly return to UG to refute you and to ask you to read the damn paper that gives this thread its title, sir.

Emo /= emotional. Emo is a subgenre of punk focusing not on the usual punk/hardcore topics of anger and the gamut of socio-political topics, but of personal politics and relationships between people.

By the way, for anyone who cares, I've been gone for a while at an international diplomacy conference here in NYC (I was in DC a few days before... awesome city). I'll be back for good on july 10 or 11. I doubt anyone missed me or noticed, but here I am my loves.

Tool_46n2
06-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Emo is Punk under a different Identity....Emo means emotional? ALL music is emotional! Punk and Emo are the same thing and no matter what anyone says, my opinion will not change.

pixiesfanyo
06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Tool_46n2
Emo is Punk under a different Identity....Emo means emotional? ALL music is emotional! Punk and Emo are the same thing and no matter what anyone says, my opinion will not change.

Emo originated as a variation of Hardcore.

Hardcore is a variation of Punk.

So in the broadest sense you are right.

MrLucky77713
06-30-2005, 08:08 AM
^It also stands that some bands simply have a greater tie to punk than to hardcore.

Emo /= emotional, bud..
and they aren't the same thing

emoISaDEADgenre
07-02-2005, 11:26 AM
^like when...in reply to "It also stands that some bands simply have a greater tie to punk than to hardcore."

mccarthy_morgan
07-05-2005, 12:17 AM
is emo short for "emotional?"
or is it just emo....

emoISaDEADgenre
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
^emotional hardcore

metallik1013
07-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I don't care. I still hate it. Yeah, I know, tell me how much of a bastard I am and then go home and bite your pillow. Hope you feel better.

the_astronaut
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
A guy that likes Metallica flaming the emo forum.

How. ****ing. Original.

MrLucky77713
07-14-2005, 12:48 PM
^like when...in reply to "It also stands that some bands simply have a greater tie to punk than to hardcore."

Generally (note the term), emo bands that don't scream...

electric warior
07-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Emo are fake people simple as that haven't got the bottle to go into a way off life full throttle so they stereotype themselves and "pretend" to be punk, metal whatever you call it

frodoisdead
07-15-2005, 05:16 AM
^^they don't pretend to be punk or metal...

if you don't like then don't come into the emo forum.

bobjewell87
07-15-2005, 07:43 AM
LOLZ

YamahaFan
07-16-2005, 02:20 AM
why must we limit ourselves to genres

lets get scientific

music - sound - sound - patterned disruptions in the air

the origin of "music" - a dude with stick and a log.

frodoisdead
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by YamahaFan
the origin of "music" - a dude with stick and a log.

nice thinking.

emoISaDEADgenre
07-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Generally (note the term), emo bands that don't scream...
actually generally they do. the difference in vocals between hardcore and emotional hardcore is that emo generally doesnt have growling, but emo started with just screaming, through the years it has obviously evolved into some bands with just singing (sunny day real estate and bands that went in that direction) but the majority evolved in a direction that included a mixture of both or just screaming. that is, if you dont ignorantly include POP-punk bands with emotional lyrics to be emo.

cocopunker
07-16-2005, 06:06 PM
okis....my mistakes r cleared...

MrLucky77713
07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
actually generally they do. the difference in vocals between hardcore and emotional hardcore is that emo generally doesnt have growling, but emo started with just screaming, through the years it has obviously evolved into some bands with just singing (sunny day real estate and bands that went in that direction) but the majority evolved in a direction that included a mixture of both or just screaming. that is, if you dont ignorantly include POP-punk bands with emotional lyrics to be emo.

I think you missed the context. I was asked what the difference was between bands that took a more hardcore approach and bands that took the other approach (or something along those lines... i donno), and my response was that the bands that didn't take as much from hardcore generally don't scream.

emoISaDEADgenre
07-17-2005, 02:36 PM
are you refering to like sdre, appleseed cast, pedro the lion, and that kind of stuff then...cause yeah, i probably did read that out of context

dookie_dude_
07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
coheed & cambria rules!!!:headbang:

sarahgrech
07-23-2005, 07:00 PM
hoorah a decent definition...i just figured out what emo is last month...when someone told me i looked emo..whatever the heck that means

emoISaDEADgenre
07-23-2005, 10:42 PM
^it means the person that told that to you watches to much mtv

MrLucky77713
07-24-2005, 12:41 AM
are you refering to like sdre, appleseed cast, pedro the lion, and that kind of stuff then...cause yeah, i probably did read that out of context

pretty much.

PS: I love your sig... Glassjaw>j00.

You can't look like music...

emoISaDEADgenre
07-24-2005, 02:42 PM
yeah glassjaw is one of my favorite bands

as for the bands that i named, i think they were to considered to take a more indie approach, but im confused to whether that sound was is called emo today or if it is a sub-genre cause in contrast the bands that were influenced by grunge and more by hardcore they were made to be the sub-genre emocore.

MrLucky77713
07-25-2005, 12:23 AM
^You could say either indie or punk.. i suppose indie is more accurate, but technically "indie" isn't considered by some to be a genre of music... but that's silly. When people think indie music, there's a certain culture and sound that pops into mind...

Indie and hardcore "branches" make more sense.

emoISaDEADgenre
07-25-2005, 05:26 PM
^i thought about the whole indie thing. but like punk doesnt make sense to say that, cause in a way it already is a form of punk. and yeah, indie, like pop music, although to some its not a real classifacation it does generally have a certen sound to it.

TL17
08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Brand New kick ass !

MrLucky77713
08-03-2005, 06:50 PM
^i thought about the whole indie thing. but like punk doesnt make sense to say that, cause in a way it already is a form of punk. and yeah, indie, like pop music, although to some its not a real classifacation it does generally have a certen sound to it.

To be honest, it's a subgenre of punk, so saying it took things from punk is silly. My bad.

Indie is technically independantly produced, not a sound, the term just brings to mind a certain music type. Sort of like alternative.

emocore/screamo/emo bands that affiliate themselves with hardcore are one track

"femo"/"regular' emo/ "popemo" and the bands that affiliated themselves with other punk subgenres are another track.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-04-2005, 03:51 PM
^i agree,but id almost like to say

that the emo that is more associated with the indie SOUND (cause yeah, most emo bands are technacally indie anyway) like sunny day real estate and the bands that have followed their path, shouldnt really be grouped with popemo and femo. cause the emo influenced by indie tends to be more on the alternative side(not hardcore cause it really isnt) where as femo and popemo is more on the pop-punk side.

im not sure how this is very relavent to your last post...but w/e, it might be.

el_guero
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Good thread dude!!!!!
Shame so many kids are 'emo' just because they think it is a cool thing to do.

Awesome read though

J Lock
08-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Sunny Day and the likes (Cap'n Jazz, The Appleseed Cast, The Promise Ring, etc.) are just indie with emo influences.
Like how Converge is hardcore with metal influences.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-09-2005, 12:13 PM
^ive heard that alot from people. so what you classify these bands as?

J Lock
08-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Indie.
Some people refer to it as mid-west emo, but no cause then that just gets confusing.
Post-emo.
That does actually make sense.
I just go along with the indie, if I feel a bit froggy, then I'll use mid-west emo, or post-emo.
Mid-west emo, though comes very rarely.

MrLucky77713
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
The emo is undeniably there. There are just different types. Luke punk ahs pop-punk and street punk and mod punk (which I thought was a term I made up for epitaph style bands, was actually 70s glam punk...whatever...). Emo has what lock's calling post-emo and then emocore and then pep-emo/femo/whatever. It's all emo.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
on fourfa it says there is a genre called post-emo indie...

but im not sure if everyone here loves fourfa or not

MrLucky77713
08-10-2005, 12:48 PM
post-emo indie? C'mon now... I guess I can agree with post-emo as a phrase, but I don't find it necessary. There's already words for this stuff.

Emocore - Emo with hardcore roots.
Emo - Emo with indie roots.

Yes... this is not how it originally was, but it's already viewed this way anyway, so why not keep it?

J Lock
08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Cause it's wrong.
If people viewed Michael Jackson as normal, even though we know it's wrong, why would we keep it.
If people viewed Hawthorne Heights as quality music, would we not correct them?

Emocore = Emotional Hardcore Hardcore?

No.
That is redundant at best.

I agree to post-emo, however, I don't consider it emo.
Like post-hardcore and post-punk.
I don't consider bands that fall into those categories hardcore or punk.
Post-emo falls more into the indie category, so that's where most of those bands should be.

MrLucky77713
08-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Emo is no longer only hardcore. Get over it. Other genres have put in an influence.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-10-2005, 05:11 PM
how can emo no longer be hardcore? when grindcore influenced emo, emo did not become that, instead the sub-genre screamo was formed.

and arguable, when emo became influenced by post-hardcore and grunge (90s) it did not become that, instead the sub-genre emocore was formed. (that, i believe is the most common use for the term emocore anyway...)

so why would it make sense for the result of SOME emo bands being influenced by alternative and indie be a drastic change in the meaning of word?

J Lock
08-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Emo was always influenced by post-hardcore.
Post-hardcore was around before emo.
Those influenced by grunge became the post-emo movement, which is indie.
But, my, my mr. lucky, you sure sound like you have a temper.
Emo is hardcore.
Once they lose the hardcore, they are no longer emo.
Emoisdead was right about screamo though.

MrLucky77713
08-10-2005, 08:10 PM
I didn't say hardcore is gone... I said emo is no longer only hardcore. Key words in bold.

Not angry, just frustrated that this argument never goes away and never gets solved.

J Lock
08-11-2005, 02:19 AM
I never said that you said hardcore is gone.

Why?
It's not worth it.
It's just a message board.

MrLucky77713
08-11-2005, 02:24 AM
^The first bit wasn't directed at you, Lock. It was to Dead.

I donno... its just that the arguments don't even change, but I can't quite shake being compelled to make them anyway.

J Lock
08-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Oh well then. I lay corrected.
My argument has remain consistent.
However, I feel I've brought up new points here and there to help it along.
I still feel there are holes in your argument.
No offense.

MrLucky77713
08-11-2005, 02:34 AM
It's fine. I feel that yours is simply old fashioned and inflexible. I've pretty much stuck to the "two path" theory. I'm not out to get you, just arguing a point on an internet forum.

J Lock
08-11-2005, 02:38 AM
Something we have in common.
It's more flexible than you think.
Yours is too far of a stretch.

MrLucky77713
08-11-2005, 01:29 PM
How so?

2ndslash
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
very good. emo isnt hard to figure out its emotional rock. doesnt quite take a rocket scientist to figure that one out does it. emo rules and i wish dicks would stop takin the piss out of it just because the people who play emo have real feelings and passion for their music.

J Lock
08-12-2005, 05:23 PM
To 2ndslash.
No.
Emo = emotional hardcore not emotional rock.

To MrLucky
Your stance is too far of a strech because it loses it's roots.
Let's take metal.
I can easily trace Mastodon to Metallica to either Led Zepplin or Black Sabbath.
Or Hardcore.
I can trace Comeback Kid to Dag Nasty to Black Flag.
Can you honestly trace Taking Back Sunday to Saetia to Moss Icon?
I can't.
I understand things change.
Today's emo bands are much different.
Yaphet Kotto, Circle Takes the Square, Hot Cross, A Day in Black and White.
They aren't cookie cutter emo bands since they take influences from various different genres.
They don't lose the hardcore in them though.
That's what makes them emo.
Once you lose the hardcore they become just plain rock or pop-punk.
In order for a band to be emo, they have to have a form of hardcore in them since emo is a subgenre of Hardcore.
Some bands fall into the Post-Emo category, since they retain more of the emo influence, but took into a different direction.
However, do you consider post-emo to be part of emo?
Do you consider post-hardcore bands (Thursday) to be part of hardcore or post-punk (The Cure) to be part of punk?
I don't.
I consider these genres to be a different genre unto themselves.

MrLucky77713
08-12-2005, 06:07 PM
The element is there though, and that's the key, Call it what you want, but it belongs here, and at least for the sake of reference it all belongs in this forum and on this list. On a broad level, hardcore is punk.

I think of this as more of a
pop-punk::punk
"post-emo"::emo

Call it pop-emo if you like. But that's what happens. I mean by your logic, metalcore isn't really hardcore, since hardcore has its roots in punk and metalcore does not. It takes the hardcore style and switches the punk with metal . TBS takes emo style and mixes in pop-punk/indie. (TBS is specifically pop-punk, but like bright Eyes takes in indie, and SDRE takes in indie. That sort of thing. Emo started as just another way of doing hardcore. Taking the global issues of passion and anger and sociopolitics that hardcore of the time dealt with and changing it to personal politics. The only thing that really carried over was the screaming. Emo bands were more melodic, had different lyrical styles, and a whole different way of doing things... they just evolved out of the hardcore scene. I think you may be digging too much into the hardcore influence.

pixiesfanyo
08-13-2005, 09:04 AM

Call it pop-emo if you like. But that's what happens. I mean by your logic, metalcore isn't really hardcore, since hardcore has its roots in punk and metalcore does not. It takes the hardcore style and switches the punk with metal . TBS takes emo style and mixes in pop-punk/indie. (TBS is specifically pop-punk, but like bright Eyes takes in indie, and SDRE takes in indie. That sort of thing. Emo started as just another way of doing hardcore. Taking the global issues of passion and anger and sociopolitics that hardcore of the time dealt with and changing it to personal politics. The only thing that really carried over was the screaming. Emo bands were more melodic, had different lyrical styles, and a whole different way of doing things... they just evolved out of the hardcore scene. I think you may be digging too much into the hardcore influence.

Metalcore has it's roots in hardcore?

Anyway, Minor Threat and Rites of Spring sound pretty similar.

So you are kind of just talking ****.

MrLucky77713
08-13-2005, 12:37 PM
^As I understand it Metalcore is just hardcore + metal...

Unless you look at their subjects, and how most early emo bands were way more melodic. Sure, on a basic level the instrumental styles were pretty similar, especially since you're looking at the FIRST emo band, the evolution hadn't gotten that far yet.

amatuer_rocker1
08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
yeah good read and the hate mail on fourfa was very funny!

xArCaDiAx
08-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by GFunk_ThE_PuNk0
Emo is.........Crying about your skanky girlfriend, trying to kill yourself, more crying, believing you have no friends cuz you hide away inside and get beaten up in school for bein a pussy.

...........................yea, you sound cool :rolleyes:

MrLucky77713
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Emo is.........Crying about your skanky girlfriend, trying to kill yourself, more crying, believing you have no friends cuz you hide away inside and get beaten up in school for bein a pussy.

Have my babies.

P.S.: You're wrong, leave.

P.S.S.: But not until after you've birthed my children.

Andrewbiles
08-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Always good to know :rolleyes:

spooky_kid_666
08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
My Chemical Romance is emo, and they rock

emoISaDEADgenre
08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
my chemical romance actually calls themselves pop-punk or violent pop...which i guess id agree with. good band sometimes but not emo

xArCaDiAx
08-18-2005, 12:19 AM
I just like how they call themselves "violent pop." Just the name is funny :)
But yes, pop-punk I would have to agree with

xArCaDiAx
08-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by luv_led_zep
I think u could have cut it down to : EMO is for little bitch teenagers who listen to some **** version of punk, if they all so depressed, why arent they all dead yet?"

No, stupid ass, that is a generalization.

Andrewbiles
08-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by luv_led_zep
I think u could have cut it down to : EMO is for little bitch teenagers who listen to some **** version of punk, if they all so depressed, why arent they all dead yet?"

*Warned* for being yet another person with no originality.

MattDaviesFFAF
08-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Why is it that all the Emo bashers lately have had Led Zep usernames?

Andrewbiles
08-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Don't know, but I checked the IPs and they're not the same people, so don't know what it is. Maybe they've been playing their records backwards or something and Satan's telling them to bash emo :p:

bobjewell87
08-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Are there any actual emo songs with the lyrics about cutting wrists and crying?

emoISaDEADgenre
08-20-2005, 12:26 PM
^im sure some real emo bands have said the word cry in their song before..but i dont see why emo bands would have any more lyrics about that stuff then most other genres. its really just a stereotype associated with bands that arent even emo bands. ex. hawthorne hieghts. they arent emo or screamo, just screaming in front of pop-punk music.

ImBarkerRarrrrr
08-21-2005, 12:22 AM
WHY CANT EVERYONE THINK THIS WAY!!!!????

ImBarkerRarrrrr
08-21-2005, 12:24 AM
emo id the best thing since sliced bread

EmO_RuleZ!!
08-21-2005, 01:39 AM
in your profile it says you're tired of people giving you crap, but you just further the stereotype.
for god's sake your favorite band listed is my chemical romance

the_astronaut
08-21-2005, 09:11 AM
^Don't forget.

He's an emo rocker too.

Whatever the hell that is.

EmO_RuleZ!!
08-21-2005, 03:07 PM
i think it means he's an idiot.

MrLucky77713
08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
^im sure some real emo bands have said the word cry in their song before..but i dont see why emo bands would have any more lyrics about that stuff then most other genres. its really just a stereotype associated with bands that arent even emo bands. ex. hawthorne hieghts. they arent emo or screamo, just screaming in front of pop-punk music.

I do believe some of the early bands were known to occasionally cry on stage. Now, too many just whine.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-22-2005, 12:15 PM
^ok maybe, but shhh.

J Lock
08-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by bobjewell87

The Saddest Landscape - A Statue of a Girl (May 15th)

emoISaDEADgenre
08-23-2005, 05:15 PM
^the saddest landscape is totally awesome

ghettohippygrrl
08-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by bobjewell87
Are there some songs by The Used about **** like that? Some of their song titles suggest things like that... Let it Bleed, Light With A Sharpened Edge, Cut Up Angels, A Box Full Of Sharp Objects... I can't confirm any actual lyrics about wrist-slitting.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-28-2005, 11:53 AM
^quote from a The Used song.
"whats left but a small section of pigmy (sp) sized CUTS much like a slew of a thousand unwanted ****s, would you be my little CUT, would you be my thousand ****s, and make mark leaving space for the guilt to be liquid, to fill and spill over and under my thoughts, my sad sorry selfish trumpet (sp) to the CUTTER, im CUTTING trying to picture your black broken heart, love is not like anything, especially a ****ing KNIFE." im pretty sure everyone can agree thats talking about cutting...

because i know everyone loves when i say this. The Used are not an emo band. They are to pop punkish and catchy and simple to be one.

ghettohippygrrl
08-28-2005, 02:34 PM
^ Well, I dunno, I agree they are pop-punk but I think they mix in elements of screamo. But if someone is refering to their lyrics, I don't know how you could say their lyrics aren't emo.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-28-2005, 04:19 PM
i see your point, but the lyrics associated with emo bands have been around in many other genres of rock before emo itself even exsisted, just not really punk. and yeah, they scream and stuff, but they really have no grindcore influence.

J Lock
08-28-2005, 05:35 PM
No, they don't mix elements of screamo.
They have elements of pop-rock.
And they scream.
Big deal.
So does Disturbed.
So did Little Richard.
Lyrics have little to do with it.

Not Now
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Wikipedia "Emo" too, they have a pretty detailed view on it.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-30-2005, 05:56 PM
the problem with that site is it changes all the time. well i guess that could be looked apon as a good thing too...but they used to have a really def of emo and now its not so good or organized.

canned_peas
08-30-2005, 07:03 PM
i found many people have made their own crazy definitions of emo.

Gurgle!Argh!
08-30-2005, 07:38 PM
i like the current wikipedia definition, cos its like, well, this is what emo is traditionally, but if you look here we'll tell you about the common modern usage of the term. which is nice.

emoISaDEADgenre
08-31-2005, 02:26 PM
i don't REALLY mind that TOO much.. but its just layed out in a confusing way for me to read.. i liked the old lay out better, where it had one paragraph(for the main def), much less writing, and all the sentences made sense together.

SilenceEvolves
08-31-2005, 02:51 PM
I like it too, except this is wrong.

During 2005, the popularity of emo music grew rapidly with the success of the singles "Sugar We're Goin' Down" by Fall Out Boy and "Helena" by My Chemical Romance. Both songs were featured on the Billboard Modern Rock Singles chart.

I think it happened way before then. I'd say more Brand New/Taking Back Sunday's singles.

J Lock
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
I think it happened with Saetia's Venus and Bacchus

§tratocaster
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
i agree with everything that has been said

Andrewbiles
09-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by slash_620
emo is ****e****e ****

you all suckkkk

especialy j lock

free i pods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suck

Well looks like that's your second warning, so *banned*

J Lock
09-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Wow, lol.
I've really made an enemy?
What did I do to that dousche?

emoISaDEADgenre
09-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by SilenceEvolves
I like it too, except this is wrong.

During 2005, the popularity of emo music grew rapidly with the success of the singles "Sugar We're Goin' Down" by Fall Out Boy and "Helena" by My Chemical Romance. Both songs were featured on the Billboard Modern Rock Singles chart.

I think it happened way before then. I'd say more Brand New/Taking Back Sunday's singles.
you do realize taking back sunday and brand new are practically equal to my chemical romance and fall out boy. no better and no worse. i mean maybe you could argue brand new is less poppy and has more talented music, but taking back sunday is just terrible.

SilenceEvolves
09-03-2005, 09:12 PM
You do realize I stopped liking TBS when their new album was complete trash, and was just saying that I think the new pop emo exploded way before two months ago.

Vicious Sid
09-03-2005, 09:18 PM
But Brand New wasn't involved in initially popularizing emo (i.e. Corey's wrong). Bands like TBS, Finch, and the All American Rejects introduced the Fuse generation to more sensitive music, which led to today's mainstream emo and sensitive pop-punk. Maybe I'm just in denial, but I think more talented bands like Brand New and Thursday had little to do with bringing the term emo to the mainstream.

SilenceEvolves
09-03-2005, 09:21 PM
I remember a emo starting thread where most people mentioned Brand New as who introduced them to emo. People on this forum aren't different from everyone else. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows and Sic Transit Gloria were very popular songs. They were more influential than Finch, definately (i.e. stfu, hoe).

Vicious Sid
09-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Brand New didn't introduce people to MCR and Senses Fail. If anyone can prove otherwise, I'll kindly admit that I was wrong.

SilenceEvolves
09-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Did you even read the article we're discussing here?

Vicious Sid
09-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Not really.

SilenceEvolves
09-03-2005, 09:35 PM
So, you're trying to argue that it was Fall Out Boy and MCR who caused the emo boom then?

Vicious Sid
09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by SilenceEvolves
So, you're trying to argue that it was Fall Out Boy and MCR who caused the emo boom then?
No one band really "caused" it. All these bands came out at about the same time, and were steadily gaining popularity in the underground. Kids were loving it, so it was bound to get big. If it wasn't TBS and Finch, it would've been FOB and MCR, or just about any band on Fuse, for that matter.

What I'm saying is that with Deja Entendu, Brand New distanced themselves from all the pop-punk emo, which is what's big right now. So if you could pick a certain few bands, Brand New wouldn't be one of them.

J Lock
09-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Thursday had a lot to do with bringing the term emo to the mainstream.
Back in 2001, they got big and were all over MTV of all places.
They were even on TRL.
Thursday had a lot to do with it

Vicious Sid
09-04-2005, 01:19 AM
I remember they got a little attention two years ago, but it was nothing major.

In 2001, though, I would've just been twelve and in the middle of my "rap phase", so I doubt I noticed Thursday.

J Lock
09-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Two years ago was when War All The Time was released.
Four years ago was when Full Collapse was released.

WATT got little attention.
FC got a lot of attention.
The fact that they were on MTV says enough about attention, let alone TRL.

It was them and Dashboard, who around the same time received a lot of attention due to MTV as well.
They were both called emo and I believe they might have used the term screamo, although I doubt it.
But I am certain they dubbed both of them emo.

It was these two bands' fault emo was brought into mainstream media.
TBS and Brand New were just getting thru feuding.
No where near the first two to be called emo by the mainstream media.

Vicious Sid
09-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Ah, I vagualy remember Understanding In a Car Crash, but little else.

That was before my time :p:.

emoISaDEADgenre
09-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Hmm. Ok i dont know when itunes started, but if we are going to get technical, its pretty much the only mainstream source I know of that gets emo bands right. but it didnt BRING it to the mainstream, however it is there for anyone to discover..ok i think my ranting is off topic.

ON topic, i remember Jimmy Eat World's release of "in the middle" or something when i was like..10, and im guessing people called them emo since they do now, but i dont think i even knew of mtv back then so i only refered to them as pop rock.. so i think they could have had a part in it.

Also dashboard. they were the first band i heard the term emo used with.

btw, FUSE isnt so bad. back when i got the channel on my tv i would watch surs alot, they played a bunch of bands that might be considered emo by todays ignorant youth, but Steven, probably the most popular VJ, actually sugested to fans of emo to look up Rites of Spring and Embrace, and never called anything like The Used or MRC emo. He has also played videos by sdre, promise ring, still life, and atd-i on his show.

Andrewbiles
09-05-2005, 06:52 AM
The only ones I can remember we really got in the UK were 'Salt Sweat Sugar' by Jimmy Eat World, 'One armed scissor' by At the Drive-In, 'Remmus' by Hundred Reasons and 'Used for glue' by Rival Schools. But way before that there was Weezer with the Blue album, who despite not being emo got tagged with the term.

We didn't ever get Thursday or Dashboard Confessional on MTV from what I remember (well I never saw them) until last year (or maybe the year before) with 'Signals over the air' and 'Hands down' (electric version).

J Lock
09-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I still will never understand how or why ATD-i is considered emo.
It doesn't make sense.
Along with Coheed and Cambria.

Andrewbiles
09-05-2005, 02:00 PM
No I don't either. None of those bands really resemble emo to me, but those were the tracks getting played when the term started to get used a lot more.

emoISaDEADgenre
09-05-2005, 09:34 PM
on atd-i's site it says they are an emocore band..well it may not be their official site, but the point is, i only really call them that because that is what they are most commonly known as. Just like glassjaw, im not sure why they are called it, but its something i can live with. i know..im a hyprocrit. but in all seriousness i think THEY are called it cause they are alternative guitar driven rock. perhaps more melodic than other bands of today.

cheekynibbler
09-09-2005, 04:08 PM
i dont understand all this genre bashing that goes on around these forums....

if you like the music listen to it. If you dont like it, dont listen to it!!!

MattDaviesFFAF
09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
You're right but it takes all sorts to make UG

xArCaDiAx
09-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Vicious Sid

What I'm saying is that with Deja Entendu, Brand New distanced themselves from all the pop-punk emo, which is what's big right now. So if you could pick a certain few bands, Brand New wouldn't be one of them.

Im gonna agree with this statement completely. DE was one of the BEST albums I have heard in a long long long time

Also, Steve's Untitled Rock Show is great to watch.

MrLucky77713
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
^I still like YFW better.

BlackJack_c1
09-16-2005, 07:20 PM
that was nice to read...very educational now everyone knows what emo is.

J Lock
09-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Right...
So CTTS has got a new drummer.
Rejoice.
Hot Cross has a new track up on myspace.
They need another guitarist.

emoISaDEADgenre
09-18-2005, 06:16 PM
thank god! i love circle takes the square so much!

goodcharlotte
09-18-2005, 06:42 PM
emo- depressed losers like hawthorne heights

MrLucky77713
09-18-2005, 07:18 PM
You- need to leave. I won't go into your name or sig. I'm nice enough to spare you that, newbie. However, you need to get your e-ass up and out of these forums until you learn to read the threads you post in.

emoISaDEADgenre
09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
if emo is for depressed losers who like overly manufactored pop-punk (hawthorne heights) then whats good charlotte for?!?!

MrLucky77713
09-21-2005, 08:02 PM
P053R5. cuz they r teh kewl35t.

omg lol kthnx

xArCaDiAx
09-22-2005, 12:13 AM
emo- depressed losers like hawthorne heights

And you like Good Charlotte...which is even worse.

stratocaster7
09-24-2005, 05:19 AM
emo is short for emotional punk. basically people who die their hair black and have mood swings, no offence to those who are emos.

emoISaDEADgenre
09-24-2005, 02:52 PM
i think this thread title leads people to actually think they should post their answers when really this thread is supposed to say the answer...and it sort of does, way back in the beginning, though not very well..

anyway emo stands for emotional hardcore not emotional punk

J Lock
09-25-2005, 12:45 AM
no offence to those who are emos.

I didn't know emo was something you could be.
You make it sound like emos a disease you can catch

punkbmxguy
09-25-2005, 03:14 AM
I'm new to emo, the ataris(earlier), and armor for sleep are emo are they not?

the_astronaut
09-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Armor For Sleep = emo

The Ataris = pop-punk?

I'm not too sure about them though.

They're not on the pop-punk or emo lists..I think..

xArCaDiAx
09-25-2005, 05:20 PM
emo is short for emotional punk. basically people who die their hair black and have mood swings, no offence to those who are emos.

You my friend, are a jackass who is very very uneducated in music/culture if you think that everyone "emo" dies their hair black and has mood swings

MrLucky77713
09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Also a sign of ignorance... use of the word "emos"

It isn't a lack of musical education, it's a lack of cultural education. And rreally, the scene is half actual culture, half pop culture. lots of people make the mistake.

emoISaDEADgenre
09-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Armor For Sleep = emo

The Ataris = pop-punk?

I'm not too sure about them though.

They're not on the pop-punk or emo lists..I think..
Armor For Sleep=?! not emo

The Artaris=pop-punk

Armor for Sleep is pretty good and all, but i dont see how its emo

J Lock
09-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Armor for Sleep = Pop-rock.

the_astronaut
09-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Armor For Sleep are on the emo list.

For what that's worth.

:rolleyes:

J Lock
09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Absolutely nothing.

the_astronaut
09-27-2005, 12:03 PM
^Exactly.

I dunno about AFS.

I always presumed they were emo.

But whatev.

xArCaDiAx
09-27-2005, 12:03 PM
I still <3 you Astronaut....always

the_astronaut
09-27-2005, 12:16 PM
I still <3 you Astronaut....always
:kiss:

;)

ohdarn323
09-27-2005, 06:36 PM

I'd have fun with him.

Okay, Eric o'er here is giving me a basis to ask this seemingly anti-Emo question, and so I'm gonna ask it. It's a legitimate question, to. I seriously want to know the answer to this.

Do y'all actually like vocalists like the guys from Simple Plan, Something Corporate, Dashboard Confessional, the like, and if so, what about their voices do you like and why?

MrLucky77713
09-27-2005, 09:08 PM
J Lock is like emo kvlt though :p

I'll anser your query while I'm at it, ohdarn. I like Chris of DC and Jordan of NFG's voices. Chris just has, when quiet, a very soft, soothing voice that is simply enjoyable. I also like how even when a bit louder, his "scooped" voice is energetic, but he maintains a subtle smoothness to it, maintaining this atmosphere he creates vocally.

Jordan just has quite a high range (inflated due to the sharpness of his voice, but whatev, nig). His voice also projects a lot of energy, which is greta in pop-punk.

xArCaDiAx
09-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Im gonna agree with Chris from DC and add Jesse Lacey.

J Lock
09-27-2005, 11:06 PM
If you're talking pop then Chris Carabbababa is nice.
Jordan from NFG is aright, irritating at times.

If you're talking emo, KNOW BILLY WERNER.
KNOW HIM.
LOVE HIM.
(From Saetia and Hot Cross)

...and its the best cult around..

bobjewell87
10-02-2005, 08:07 AM
minus the bear = emo?

Not Now
10-03-2005, 01:44 PM
i think this thread title leads people to actually think they should post their answers when really this thread is supposed to say the answer...and it sort of does, way back in the beginning, though not very well..

anyway emo stands for emotional hardcore not emotional punk

I hate it when people say emo just stands for "emotional" =/

punc_roc
10-03-2005, 03:00 PM
*virtual claps* :golfclap:

Linkz
10-03-2005, 07:45 PM
:golfclap:

If only more people were as educated on emo as this article...
Good reading too!

punkbmxguy
10-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Just trying to clear things up, but what does emo stand for? is it a word someone made up?

the_astronaut
10-04-2005, 09:37 AM
^It stands for emotional hardcore.

At least read the damn thing.

Or even a page in this thread.

Then you would've seen it anyway.

BassNewbie
10-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Very well put indeed,
maybe you should come explain emo here in stupidsville oklahoma where they think anything with emotion is emo including country/rap/metal.

Not Now
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
all music is emotional, but that doesnt make it emo :wtf:

misfitsdisciple
10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Emo is for punx who lost their balls, picked up an acoustic guitar, and started crying because of their girlfriend leaving them, or their dog dieing. thats what it is, and its not worthy of being published though todays society sucks so much that pop culture breeds in this filth :puke:
:finger:

J Lock
10-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Emo is for punx who lost their balls, picked up an acoustic guitar, and started crying because of their girlfriend leaving them, or their dog dieing. thats what it is, and its not worthy of being published though todays society sucks so much that pop culture breeds in this filth :puke:

Punks*
(Your whole first sentence is a big run-on.)
That's*
Published,* though,* today's*
(Your last sentence is a runon-on as well.)

Being published in today's society?
Emo is a book or a magazine?
Besides, the music you're talking about is pop.
Real emo is harder than that Misfit crap.
Oh yeah, good idea, let's grunt and groan about death and obscene lyrics.
Oh yeah, a lot better than Angel Hair or Still Life.

ok, im sick of this emo crap... every1 is liek im emo and al this, its gona like take over the world. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EMO ITS JUST STUPID DEPRESSED PEOPLE WHO NEED A GROUP TO FEEL WANTED, so emo people, join a club god damit

I'm*
Everyone*
Like*
All* this.*
It's* gonna*,* like,* take over the world.
IT'S* JUST STUPID,* DEPRESSED PEOPLE,* WHO NEED A GROUP TO FEEL WANTED.* So*,*
Damnit*.*

Those people are called trendy.
The music you are referring to is pop.
There is a such thing as Emotional Hardcore, however.
Hot Cross,
Saetia,
Circle Takes the Square,
and Yaphet Kotto are all Emotional Hardcore.
Just because your guitar idol is some guitar virtuoso whose soloing all sounds the same doesn't make your musical taste superior.

Andrewbiles
10-05-2005, 04:32 AM
ok, im sick of this emo crap... every1 is liek im emo and al this, its gona like take over the world. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EMO ITS JUST STUPID DEPRESSED PEOPLE WHO NEED A GROUP TO FEEL WANTED, so emo people, join a club god damit

I remember having to clean up a ton of your posts before, so you've now received a warning.

punkbmxguy
10-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Sorry, I didn't take it literaly, but I read it nearly two weeks ago and I've not the greatest memory, forgive me.

machinegun fred
10-06-2005, 01:25 AM
emo is kids imitating kids imitating kids imitating pop punk

pop punk isn't a bad term any more than pop rock is (sometimes it's good,sometimes it isn't)

However when you have a bunch of kids singing and every band sounds exactly the same then that's just really sad and lame.

In emo's defense most modern subgenres suffer from the same disease. A bunch of unoriginal copycats with vocalists who suck and are just carbon copies of whatever else is "in" that week.

Metal ain't any better than emo as far as I'm concerned.

Modern music really sucks.Anytime any bands show even a shred of originality they get whined out of existence by music snobs or metal fags.

Then we get stuck with all the copycat lame-o's like this current emo nightmare.

:mad: lick my ass

bobjewell87
10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
lol 'aerosmith'

MrLucky77713
10-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Someone needs to throw themselves off a balcony. Oh yes they do. :)

emoISaDEADgenre
10-07-2005, 03:37 PM
^lol

i find that definition (misfitdisciple) very gender biast. and aside from that, people who use and x in the word "punks" is pretty lame.

J Lock
10-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Lick your ass?
That's kinda personal.
Are you one of them gays?
If you're into that, that's cool.
So, you're one of them kids who think all the good music died out when those new confounded devices called C.D.s came out?
But doesn't it suck not having anything new or refreshing to listen to, because the bands that do release the new **** sounds like the exact same thing released 20 years ago?
Doesn't it suck not being able to go to a concert without worrying if the bands gonna break their hips, how they're going to move with the IV's that's keeping them alive, or if they're even gonna make it through the show?
Doesn't it suck not being able to go see your favorite bands at all, because they don't tour?

Not Now
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this site (http://www.youdontknowemo.tk/) , but its worth looking at.

misfitsdisciple
10-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Punks*
(Your whole first sentence is a big run-on.)
That's*
Published,* though,* today's*
(Your last sentence is a runon-on as well.)

Being published in today's society?
Emo is a book or a magazine?
Besides, the music you're talking about is pop.
Real emo is harder than that Misfit crap.
Oh yeah, good idea, let's grunt and groan about death and obscene lyrics.
Oh yeah, a lot better than Angel Hair or Still Life.

thanks for the spelling lesson teach. Being published is not only reserved for books, learn your publishing. Misfits is not "pop" because they aren't popular, and all the crap that you call emo is on MTV every day. you make me sick

misfitsdisciple
10-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Someone needs to throw themselves off a balcony. Oh yes they do. :)

i'll throw you =) if you want, and i know you will, because your girlfriend dumped you and you got an acoustic guitar, and now you cry and call it emo

frd_marshll
10-08-2005, 07:51 PM
^ you are the same guy who made that hardcore sucks theard to

Andrewbiles
10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
You know what? I've been contemplating this for quite a long time now due to all the boring arguments and repetative comments that go on in this thread, and finally I'm going to do it....

*Closed*

Sorry if people don't like this decision, but there's about 30 pages of sh*t and I'm bored of having to warn and delete posts of people who come in here and say how emo sucks and then the 20 posts that follow moaning and "flaming" the person.