Best Distortion Pedal for a Solid State Amp?

PDA

View Full Version : Best Distortion Pedal for a Solid State Amp?

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 12:08 AM
I have a Fender Frontman 15 W amplifier, and I want to get my first distortion pedal!!!!!!!!!! I thought about getting a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal, but someone posted a review that said that it sounds bad in solid-state amps. So what distortion pedal should I get for my solid-state amp?!?!!??!!?!?!?! Thank you very much for helping me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decimated Saint
06-22-2008, 12:12 AM
for what kinda music?

i use an mt 2 its pretty wild

RealGuitarHero
06-22-2008, 12:16 AM
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE GUY ABOVE ME
the Mt-2 is terrible. Personally I would suggest a Ibanez Tube King but those will set you back about 100 dollars. What you should do though is go to a store and see what you like and choose that way.

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Thx both of you for replying so quickly!!!!!!!!!! I play rock, alternative, classic rock, and hard rock.

Final !mpact
06-22-2008, 12:21 AM
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE GUY ABOVE ME
the Mt-2 is terrible. Personally I would suggest a Ibanez Tube King but those will set you back about 100 dollars. What you should do though is go to a store and see what you like and choose that way.

+1 The MT-2 Metal Zone Is horrible.

Guitar centre Guy: "This here is the most versitile pedal ever. It is BOSSes best selling pedal"

Me: :eek:

Me *Goes home to try it out*

Me: :eek: :D :) :( :mad:

mohawkkidJohn
06-22-2008, 12:21 AM
for those id suggest music style id say a fuzz pedal or an od. fuzz= fuzz face. od=tube screamer808

dlmebag
06-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Well any pedal will give you a better sound. I wouldnt go for a tube screamer unless you have $150+ to shell out. Try a metal muff.

kool98769
06-22-2008, 02:34 AM
for those id suggest music style id say a fuzz pedal or an od. fuzz= fuzz face. od=tube screamer808
now tell me, why would you get an OD pedal for a solid state amp? It makes no sense. And key word, he asked for a distortion. A tube screamer has barely any gain, it achieves gain by driving a TUBE amp.

I'm going to suggest that you find either one of those tube pedals, by companies such as vox. But i played some of those blackstar ones, but to be honest, i wasnt really that impressed. If you can afford it, a maxon sonic distortion isn't a bad pedal. Metal muffs arent too bad either, or even a sovtek muff if you're on a budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Maxon-SD9-Sonic-Distortion?sku=155057
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Maxon-Reissue-Series-DS-II-Distortion-Sustainer-II-Pedal?sku=150277
you couldn't go wrong with either of those. although the reissue is kind of an OD too. But its more of a high output distortion pedal, thats all.

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 03:43 AM
now tell me, why would you get an OD pedal for a solid state amp? It makes no sense. And key word, he asked for a distortion. A tube screamer has barely any gain, it achieves gain by driving a TUBE amp.

I'm going to suggest that you find either one of those tube pedals, by companies such as vox. But i played some of those blackstar ones, but to be honest, i wasnt really that impressed. If you can afford it, a maxon sonic distortion isn't a bad pedal. Metal muffs arent too bad either, or even a sovtek muff if you're on a budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Maxon-SD9-Sonic-Distortion?sku=155057
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Maxon-Reissue-Series-DS-II-Distortion-Sustainer-II-Pedal?sku=150277
you couldn't go wrong with either of those. although the reissue is kind of an OD too. But its more of a high output distortion pedal, thats all.

I agree. He doesn't need a fuzz box or an overdrive pedal. Although you can use a tubescreamer on a solid state amp to add a little more gain if its got a gain knob. I got one for my tube amp but i do that because my solid state amp lacks gain so it adds quite a bit. But this guy has no gain in the first place..... he wants a distortion pedal. Maxon all the way.

acdclandon
06-22-2008, 03:53 AM
the best solution to getting a good distortion pedal for a **** solid state amp is too well get a new amp :)

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 03:58 AM
I agree... I'd probably just save up and get a new amp.

Final !mpact
06-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Something i notice ALLOT in this forum is people saying get a new amp. Not everyone can afford a new amp. :rolleyes:

Its really annoying when I ask a question relating to an effects pedal and everyone just says "Your amp is ****, Get a tube amp!"

'Guitar Gear and Accessories' should be renamed 'Guitar Amps'

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 04:13 AM
well its just fact that if he had a new amp he'd probably like it more. Most people can afford it if they got their stuff straight. Its just a matter of putting money back each week out of your check. I can afford whatever I want. Yeah I got tons of bills and I can't just go buy something at anytime but if I want something I can save up and buy it.

acdclandon
06-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Something i notice ALLOT in this forum is people saying get a new amp. Not everyone can afford a new amp. :rolleyes:

Its really annoying when I ask a question relating to an effects pedal and everyone just says "Your amp is ****, Get a tube amp!"

MASSIVE FACEPALM
look, the amp is what matters MOST to your sound, right?
so if you're unhappy with your sound, pedals aren't really going to fix it, at least not completely
especially the reason why we say get a new amp is because you've got a ss amp which honestly we all are thinking is either a mg, spider, flexwave, or a starter pack amp of some sort
save the money you would spend this and other pedals you were looking at, and get a new amp if you are unhappy with your tone
end of discussion

edit: HA i didn't even notice that you have a frontman 15 watt practice amp
good guess eh?
FOR SURE new amp

Final !mpact
06-22-2008, 04:19 AM
MASSIVE FACEPALM
look, the amp is what matters MOST to your sound, right?
so if you're unhappy with your sound, pedals aren't really going to fix it, at least not completely
especially the reason why we say get a new amp is because you've got a ss amp which honestly we all are thinking is either a mg, spider, flexwave, or a starter pack amp of some sort
save the money you would spend this and other pedals you were looking at, and get a new amp if you are unhappy with your tone
end of discussion

edit: HA i didn't even notice that you have a frontman 15 watt practice amp
good guess eh?
FOR SURE new amp

Oh he has a 15 watt frontman? Ok now i agree with you. New amp.

Pedals dont go with low watt (especially CRAP) amps.

acdclandon
06-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Oh he has a 15 watt frontman? Ok now i agree with you. New amp.

Pedals dont go with low watt (especially CRAP) amps.

now you're talking some sense final impact :)

Blompcube
06-22-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm guessing that the reason you want a distortion pedal is because you don't like your amp's distortion?

The common sense rule of amps/pedals is, in my opinion, if you're not satisfied with how your amp sounds on its own, you won't be satisfied with how it sounds with pedals, so you should get a different amp.

DeadMansCurve
06-22-2008, 06:51 AM
I second the Maxon SD-9, that thing sounds great.
Also:
MI Audio crunch box (I'm getting one soon)
AMT Electronics California Sound (Really want one but no stores here have it)

That should be a good start.

Oh, but you really should consider a better amp first.

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I mainly just want a distortion pedal to go from clean to distorted in live shows. But if you think i should get a new amp then what amp should I get on a low budget? Also, what's wrong with the Boss DS-1?

stujomo
06-22-2008, 01:08 PM
You can use an overdrive pedal with a solid state but you usually keep the level down and turn up the gain or drive on the overdrive pedal. Overdrive pedals have clipping diodes inside them to help produce the sound of an overdriven tube amp. People used to use a clean boost or a treble boost with a tube amp to give them a push and tighten up tone. People also discoved you could use an overdrive pedal to give a clean boost to a tube amp by turning up the level and keeping the gain or drive down on the pedal some people also like to turn up the gain on the pedal a bit to add a bit more grit.

kool98769
06-22-2008, 02:07 PM
You can use an overdrive pedal with a solid state but you usually keep the level down and turn up the gain or drive on the overdrive pedal. Overdrive pedals have clipping diodes inside them to help produce the sound of an overdriven tube amp. People used to use a clean boost or a treble boost with a tube amp to give them a push and tighten up tone. People also discoved you could use an overdrive pedal to give a clean boost to a tube amp by turning up the level and keeping the gain or drive down on the pedal some people also like to turn up the gain on the pedal a bit to add a bit more grit.
OH MY GOD DUDE
Did you not read what i posted?
See, OD pedals were NOT made to be used on SS amps. OD pedals barely add ANY gain dude. They get gain by boosting TUBES. Alright, now if one more person says GET AN OD PEDAL, im going have an aneurysm. I'm not even kidding, this is so sad. People don't read the thread before they suggest something. (not all of this is directed at the dude i quoted.)

And actually, the clean boost came first. Clipping diodes were an afterthought. So actually people discovered that they could add distortion on to boosts.

I mainly just want a distortion pedal to go from clean to distorted in live shows. But if you think i should get a new amp then what amp should I get on a low budget? Also, what's wrong with the Boss DS-1?

They're really bad. The worst combo you could do would be getting a DS-1 with a 15 watt solid state amp. it's not even funny how bad it sounds.

If you've got 150, get the sonic distortion, if you dont, and only have 100, get a Metal muff. If you dont have 100, save your cashmonies. If you have 250, get a blackheart little giant. (its an amp.)

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
OH MY GOD DUDE
Did you not read what i posted?
See, OD pedals were NOT made to be used on SS amps. OD pedals barely add ANY gain dude. They get gain by boosting TUBES. Alright, now if one more person says GET AN OD PEDAL, im going have an aneurysm. I'm not even kidding, this is so sad. People don't read the thread before they suggest something. (not all of this is directed at the dude i quoted.)

And actually, the clean boost came first. Clipping diodes were an afterthought. So actually people discovered that they could add distortion on to boosts.

That's what you'd think but it's not true. My tube screamer adds way more gain to my solid state practice amp. On my tube amp it pushes the tubes harder and adds more gain if i keep pushing the gain knob. With the solid state of course theres nothing to push but turning the gain knob I get more gain. Don't ask how it does it. It just does.

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Alright, let's narrow it down. What is the best distortion pedal to get for a 15W amp on these 2 pages? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Overdrive--Distortion--Fuzz-and-Boost-Guitar-Effects-Pedals1,Page-2.gc?o=1&ipp=15

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Overdrive--Distortion--Fuzz-and-Boost-Guitar-Effects-Pedals1,Page-3.gc?o=1&ipp=15

And please don't tell me to buy a more expensive pedal, I have a $60 maybe even less budget. I just spent all of my money to start to build a recording studio. And this is my FIRST PEDAL we are talking about. I don't want it to be too expensive or I'll get nervous it would get lost, damaged, stolen or something. Plus if I were to save up that much money, I'd spend it on something else.

stujomo
06-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I never said get an OD I said OD pedals will work with solid state they will give you a overdriven type tone by keeping the level low on the OD pedal and increase the drive on the od pedal to get the overdriven sound that you want. They may not sound the same as an overdriven tube amp but with something like a jazz chorus you can use an OD pedal to give a nice bluesy type of overdrive. The bad monkey will allow you to play direct into a mixer so guess what, must be those clipping diodes inside doing what they are supposed to do. Every amp has gain and gain stages thats how an amp works, gain is the increase in volume from one stage to the next. No gain no change in volume. Some amps don't have a knob marked gain but they still have gain otherwise they would not function as an amplifier. It has never been written anywhere that an OD pedal does not work with a solid state amp. Boss has demos of OD pedals with a Jazz chorus a solid state amp.

stujomo
06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Heres a quick quote from the Boss SD1 instuctions.

The Boss Super Overdrive has been designed to exactly replicate the sound of an overdriven tube amplifier when used in any amplification setup.

steven seagull
06-22-2008, 02:38 PM
If you really want a pedal then just get something cheap like a Behringer for a quick fix.

Long term look to save up for a new amp, there's no point spending much on a pedal because it'll just eat into your amp funds...$40 for a DS1 is the absolute most I'd recommend spending.

stuojomo - an overdrive pedal will simulate low level tube breakup but I don't think that's what he's looking for here.

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 02:45 PM
If you really want a pedal then just get something cheap like a Behringer for a quick fix.

Long term look to save up for a new amp, there's no point spending much on a pedal because it'll just eat into your amp funds...$40 for a DS1 is the absolute most I'd recommend spending.

stuojomo - an overdrive pedal will simulate low level tube breakup but I don't think that's what he's looking for here.

Right i agree. No hes not looking for an OD pedal. Just pointing out that an od pedal will add more gain if you've got a high gain amp. Even solid state... atleast the bad monkey does. But he needs a distortion pedal. Id say get that 20 dollar behringer.

stujomo
06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
No I don't think that is what he wants. The problem is others also read this stuff and many times on here people have said an OD pedal does not work with a solid state amp. That just gets repeated with all of the same arguments which is not good for anyone. For a distortion pedal I like the demos of the MI audio crunch box wouldn't mind one myself for some low volume crunch from my Traynor.

kool98769
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I never said get an OD I said OD pedals will work with solid state they will give you a overdriven type tone by keeping the level low on the OD pedal and increase the drive on the od pedal to get the overdriven sound that you want. They may not sound the same as an overdriven tube amp but with something like a jazz chorus you can use an OD pedal to give a nice bluesy type of overdrive. The bad monkey will allow you to play direct into a mixer so guess what, must be those clipping diodes inside doing what they are supposed to do. Every amp has gain and gain stages thats how an amp works, gain is the increase in volume from one stage to the next. No gain no change in volume. Some amps don't have a knob marked gain but they still have gain otherwise they would not function as an amplifier. It has never been written anywhere that an OD pedal does not work with a solid state amp. Boss has demos of OD pedals with a Jazz chorus a solid state amp.
You just dont get it, do you?
We'll go from the bottom up this time. Not ONCE did i say that an OD pedal wont work with a solid state amp. Anything that passes a signal through will work with any kind of amplifier.
Gain is another word name for preamp volume man.
OD pedals DO have clipping diodes. Specifically to emulate slight TUBE breakup. right. I see you understand that. Now, what you dont seem to realize here is that a clean boost doesnt simply increase volume. It also adds a bit of "gain" by pushing the tubes harder. When you put the gain on an OD pedal down to 0 and put the drive/output/volume to max, did you ever notice that you get a gain increase? Even though the distortion is non existant in the pedal.
My point is WHY waste your money on an OD pedal for a solid state amp, when they were made specifically for tube amps? more than half the point of an OD pedal is for the boost, not the distortion part of it. So why not just get a DISTORTION pedal like the poor guy asked?

@TS:
I'm going to have to agree with the seagull on this one. Maybe get a behringer distortion as a cheap fix, and save for a proper amp.

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
a bad monkey tube overdrive for example has both.... the level button cranked will add your power amp gain... it also has a gain knob that adds preamp gain before your actual preamp. The guy needs a distortion pedal no doubt.

kool98769
06-22-2008, 03:02 PM
a bad monkey tube overdrive for example has both.... the level button cranked will add your power amp gain... it also has a gain knob that adds preamp gain before your actual preamp. The guy needs a distortion pedal no doubt.
So does every other OD pedal. Its called clipping diodes, and output.
Distortion for sure though.

blind.quardian
06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello an SS amp is all i can get so i cant buy tube and why is it better to buy a modeller a watched a movie in youtube a guy who had a marshall mg30dfx(know its crap) and a metal muff and he could get a good in flames tone which i want. so why you prefer modellers over a amp and pedal... you can adjust more settings from a pedal than the ****ttty eq of cube... am not i right please explain.

solidsnake15
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
it aint about how much you can adjust its the overall tone. The cube sounds better than that fender regardless of how many knobs or switches you turn.

blind.quardian
06-22-2008, 04:29 PM
no not fender:D something like maybe a laney ss amp?

BladeSlinger
06-22-2008, 04:49 PM

+1

Just get a crappy distortion pedal and to help out your current amp and start saving for a better one....

blind.quardian
06-22-2008, 04:53 PM
The best i can buy is a 30 watt ss amp maximum i cant bring a 50 watt valveking while i cant even turn up my cube's volume up. they are expensive too. so i can buy a modeller or a amp and pedal but i dont know why the pedal seems a better idea than a modeller.

zeppelinpage4
06-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I have a Fender Frontman 15 W amplifier, and I want to get my first distortion pedal!!!!!!!!!! I thought about getting a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal, but someone posted a review that said that it sounds bad in solid-state amps. So what distortion pedal should I get for my solid-state amp?!?!!??!!?!?!?! Thank you very much for helping me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's rather funny because I had a Fender Frontman 15G and my first distortion pedal was/still is a Boss DS-1.

I can tell you know it won't be tonal bliss but it got the job done until I got a Vox ad30vt. I'm still using the DS-1 now but hoping to replace it very soon with something that compliments my Classic 50.

So the DS-1 isn't bad, to be honest not many distortion pedals can make the 15G sound too good. With the DS-1 you don't drop too much cash on it and there are options to mod it later on after you replace the 15G. Of course the pedal also depends on what sounds you want.

afrika18
06-22-2008, 07:19 PM
This is a serious query. I've found that the tone in every solid state amp I've tried sounds fake and cardboardy....to the extent that I consider them "toy" amps.

80sShred4TheWin
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM

I have no problem with doing that why don't we have a seperate thread for effects and amps. HC does :confused:

mcrfobtai
06-22-2008, 08:13 PM
maybe a blues driver?

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I guess I have no problem with getting an Over Drive pedal, but it seems that people are saying that they don't work on Solid State amps. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying that, but I can't seem to get a clear message. Do they or do they not? The reason I want a distortion/over drive pedal is because I want to be able to get louder and distorted (Not necessarily death metal distortion) by using a pedal during my playing. Here are some of the pedals that I am considering: Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer Pedal , DOD Overdrive Preamp/250 Reissue Pedal , Ibanez DS7 Distortion Pedal , Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal , Ibanez SM7 Smash Box Pedal , DigiTech Hot Head Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal , DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal , and Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 Pedal. I am now intrigued by the Ibanez pedals and the DigiTech pedals. But I still like Boss. So which of these pedals is the best? If there is a better pedal for $60 or less, tell me.

zeppelinpage4
06-22-2008, 10:52 PM
^ I'd get something like a BD-2 Blues Driver or Bad Monkey for overdrive. Those two seem to get mentioned a bit especially the Bad Monkey but I haven't had any real experiance with them.

As for overdrive, it should work fine with your Frontman as far as i'm aware. THey are used tp push tube amps and sound great with em' however it doesn't mean you can't use one with an SS. It'll just sound a bit different than with a tube amp.

Just don't expect loads of gain of course.

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
But which distortion pedal(s) is/are the best?

kool98769
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
^ I'd get something like a BD-2 Blues Driver or Bad Monkey for overdrive. Those two seem to get mentioned a bit especially the Bad Monkey but I haven't had any real experiance with them.

As for overdrive, it should work fine with your Frontman as far as i'm aware. THey are used tp push tube amps and sound great with em' however it doesn't mean you can't use one with an SS. It'll just sound a bit different than with a tube amp.
Just don't expect loads of gain of course.

Isn't that the point of a distortion pedal :confused:

And not once was it mentioned that an OD pedal wouldnt work on a SS amp. They were designed to be effective on tube amps because of the volume gain. you mentioned wanting a volume and gain boost? Unless you're doing some kind of a solo boost or driving the tubes more (you arent, obviously) than you dont need a volume boost.

Get a distortion pedal or go home, is my point.

zeppelinpage4
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Isn't that the point of a distortion pedal :confused:

And not once was it mentioned that an OD pedal wouldnt work on a SS amp. They were designed to be effective on tube amps because of the volume gain. you mentioned wanting a volume and gain boost? Unless you're doing some kind of a solo boost or driving the tubes more (you arent, obviously) than you dont need a volume boost.

Get a distortion pedal or go home, is my point.
Distortion yes, however an overdrive pedal has less gain than a distortion pedal since it's used for boosts and some crunch.

If the TS wants a bluesier driven sound an overdrive would be fine. Something more a distortion.

kool98769
06-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Distortion yes, however an overdrive pedal has less gain than a distortion pedal since it's used for boosts and some crunch.

If the TS wants a bluesier driven sound an overdrive would be fine. Something more a distortion.
errrm. yeah. I should have worded that differetnly
Isnt that why he wanted a distortion pedal. :D
He wouldn't really need a bluesier overdrive, considering his amp has it. Thats my take anyway. Even when you put sugar on ****, it still tastes like ****.

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Ok, so it's set. I am getting a distortion pedal. But which one? Look at my earlier post to see the ones that I was interested in that were in my price range. Ignore the OD pedals.

zeppelinpage4
06-22-2008, 11:21 PM
^Well with the DS-1 you can save some cash and later on mod it when you upgrade your amp. However that's the only one I can recommend as it's my only distortion pedal. So there are probably better.

errrm. yeah. I should have worded that differetnly
Isnt that why he wanted a distortion pedal. :D
He wouldn't really need a bluesier overdrive, considering his amp has it. Thats my take anyway. Even when you put sugar on ****, it still tastes like ****.
Well I had the 15G and I don't think it had any real overdrive....more like static (the gain was almost unusable, decent cleans though). :p:

You are right the TS seemed to have wanted a distortion but I read his last post in which he mentioned also wanting an overdrive.
I guess I have no problem with getting an Over Drive pedal, but it seems that people are saying that they don't work on Solid State amps. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying that, but I can't seem to get a clear message. Do they or do they not? The reason I want a distortion/over drive pedal is because I want to be able to get louder and distorted (Not necessarily death metal distortion) by using a pedal during my playing. Here are some of the pedals that I am considering: Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer Pedal , DOD Overdrive Preamp/250 Reissue Pedal , Ibanez DS7 Distortion Pedal , Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal , Ibanez SM7 Smash Box Pedal , DigiTech Hot Head Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal , DigiTech DBM Bad Monkey Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal , and Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 Pedal. I am now intrigued by the Ibanez pedals and the DigiTech pedals. But I still like Boss. So which of these pedals is the best? If there is a better pedal for $60 or less, tell me.

Seems he's considering both at this point depending on his needs. I was just talking about a couple of the budget overdrive units to consider if he went that route.

newbienewbie
06-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I could easily go the OD route, but people around here seem to think the distortion route on my amp is better. Do you have a tube or a solid-state amp with your Boss DS-1 pedal? Also any more suggestions for distortion pedals?

zeppelinpage4
06-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I first ran my DS-1 through a Frontman 15G SS amp. Then a Vox ad30vt modelling amp and now I use it with my Peavey Classic 50 which is tube.

The DS-1 has worked fine with all of them, it sounds different with each one but i've found a use for it at some point or another. It's always gotten a wide variety of distortion tones for what it is. I got complaints about it as well but for the price and the use I got out of the pedal it was worth it.

I'd send it in for mods but i'm looking for a overdrive and fuzz pedal now.

As far as other pedals, I did own a digitech Hothead for a short period of time before getting the DS-1. It seemed to get heavier sounds but wasn't to my tastes. Can't really suggest much more as my experiance with distortion pedals is quite limited but those are the few that worked for me when I needed a cheap pedal.

STriNG-RaY
06-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Even when you put sugar on ****, it still tastes like ****.

....ohhhh, i beg to differ...

acdclandon
06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
....ohhhh, i beg to differ...

oh very creepy indeed

actually i use my tubescreamer with my **** mg halfstack (DON'T ASK) and honestly is sounds okay at times
kicks the crap out of anything the amp could do by itself
plus a distortion pedal (ds-1) combined with the overdrive acutally makes it sound so much more fuller than without it, even with the whole level 10, gain 0 thing
probably has to do with the whole mid hump thing of the tubescreamer
either way it would be cool to get a od for use with the ss amp, than after you get a tube amp it will become that much more useful :D (at least thats what i'm doing)

stujomo
06-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Go to the store and try some pedals with a frontman and see what you personaly like the sound of, that will be the easiest way to find what is right for you.

Both the instructions in the Boss SD1 and the Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive pedals explain that the pedal were designed to reproduce the sound of an overdriven tube amp. That to me says that they were not designed for tube amps but were designed to produce a sound like an overdriven tube.

Here is a good page to read overdrives.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm

newbienewbie
06-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Zeppelinpage4, acdclandon, and stujomo, the last comments you posted could have been the simplest, most helpful comments I have received. Now I know someone who had a DS-1 and a Frontman 15 W, and I will go into Guitar Center and try out some pedals. Sorry, I don't go to Guitar Center much, so do I bring in my own guitar and Frontman, or do I use theirs? Also, all of you guys have convinced me to get a new amp. What do you think is the cheapest tube amp I could get?

IbanezPsycho
06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Protone bodyrot

zeppelinpage4
06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Zeppelinpage4, acdclandon, and stujomo, the last comments you posted could have been the simplest, most helpful comments I have received. Now I know someone who had a DS-1 and a Frontman 15 W, and I will go into Guitar Center and try out some pedals. Sorry, I don't go to Guitar Center much, so do I bring in my own guitar and Frontman, or do I use theirs? Also, all of you guys have convinced me to get a new amp. What do you think is the cheapest tube amp I could get?
I'd definitely bring the guitar since that's what you'll be using with the pedal.

The amp is a bit more complicated though, atleast in my guitar center they keep the display pedals running through one specific amp. So you'll probably need to ask them to set you up. Usually the store has Frontmans so you shouldn't need (could be different in your GC) one but i'm sure they'd let you try the pedal through your own amp.

Getting a new amp is a great idea, the most budget tube amp that comes to mind is the Valve Junior combo which can be had for around $150. Loud enough for small jams and gets some nice tube tone at a low price. It's more classic voiced though so it usually doesn't go beyond hard rock.

hendrixftw
06-24-2008, 06:01 AM
I have a DS-1 and its great reguardless of your amp. Although some people complain its a dam cheap pedal so worst case you've lost like $40-$50. I find its great from mellow distortion to hard rock. My reccomendation is just to go out and try different pedals and buy what you like.

BTW an ibanez or any other OD pedal isn't gonna give you Distortion. It will just add a little bit of drive and a fair bit of volume.

newbienewbie
06-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Alright, so since you guys convinced me to get a new amp, I was looking at some tube amps at Guitar Center. They are friggin' expensive. Someone said that Craig's List is the way to go. I found this amp, and I was wondering if it's decent. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/711658594.html

There is also this one http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/720495792.html

The 1973 Peavey Classic Series A Guitar Amp 200 watts 4x10 seems good to me!!!!!!!!!!

hunter33
06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
A friend of mine has the same Fender Frontman amp as you and he uses it for practice. I've played through it before. It sounds ok and the distortion is there, but it has a bit of a fizzy and thin sound. It only has an 8" speaker so you aren't going to get the bass response and presence needed for playing live, and at 15 solid state watts it's not powerful enough for venues larger than a little coffee shop or something like that.

If you intend to play live you're going to have to get a more powerful amp. You can find lots of decent cheap amps on Craigslist, and they don't have to be tube. If playing blues or classic rock or any type of music where an overdriven/crunchy/dirty tone is needed, an all tube amp will work better though. It's hard to get a good crunchy overdriven tone out of a solid state amp, even with pedals. The first amp you linked to is pretty enormous and heavy, good luck hauling that one around if you don't have a friend to help. The price seems good on both of them though if there is nothing wrong with them.

If you are playing at home and just want to be able to switch tones you might consider a multi FX floor unit. There are always tons of them for under $50 on Craigslist, and that would offer way more versatility than an overdrive or distortion stompbox. That would give you multiple types of distortion and overdrive to try out, and then when it comes time to upgrade amps you can sell the multi-fx too for probably what you paid for it. Good luck.

zeppelinpage4
06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Alright, so since you guys convinced me to get a new amp, I was looking at some tube amps at Guitar Center. They are friggin' expensive. Someone said that Craig's List is the way to go. I found this amp, and I was wondering if it's decent. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/711658594.html

There is also this one http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/720495792.html

The 1973 Peavey Classic Series A Guitar Amp 200 watts 4x10 seems good to me!!!!!!!!!!
The first one seems a bit large, unless your gigging with a full band that might be overkill. I have a 50 watter and it's too much for me. :p:

The second one I really can't say much for because I haven't used one but we could probably recommend some stuff, what's your budget for the amp?

Edit: If your only practicing in the bedroom and don't gig this might be a good amp for the price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260

5 watts is still surprisingly loud but it's easier to carry and you'll be able to jam with other guitarists most probably.

newbienewbie
06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I want a tube amp that is loud enough to gig with. Are the two amps I linked tube amps?

dudetheman
06-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I want a tube amp that is loud enough to gig with. Are the two amps I linked tube amps?

The buyer claims that the first one is, but it honestly looks like an abomination.

The second one is Transtube, which is a fancy word Peavey uses to market their solid state amps.

What's your budget? Give us a maximum price and we'll be able to help you out! :D

newbienewbie
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
$200.00. What's wrong with the first amp?

zeppelinpage4
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
^ It's too big, tube or not you'll have a hard time transporting it and getting the amp to overdrive.

If you can get up to $300 or so the Peavey Classic 30 would be perfect. Small enough for practice and just loud enough for gigs depending on the rest of the band.

A 15 watt blues junior might be loud enough as i've seen it gigged online. However it's still a bit over your budget.

newbienewbie
06-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Do you think the one that is too big is even a tube amp?

zeppelinpage4
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
^ Looks like it's tube and you can always ask the seller but I've never even seen that amp before so I can't say much about it. :p:

More so the problem with it is the size.

newbienewbie
06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Thx! How do you think I would move it around? How much would you guesstimate it weighs!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

zeppelinpage4
06-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Let's see 4x10's and a lot of wattage.:p:

You'd probably need two people to carry that thing onto a stage or into a car. Of course if your really strong and what not maybe you could manage it yourself but I have a 50 watt 2x10 and can't keep it off the ground for more than a few seconds. So I really don't know how a 4x10 would work out.

I think DarkArbiter7 has two 4x10 amps so he'd probably be the best guy to ask about moving something of that size.

Keep in mind even without the size that's alot of wattage.

Bordeaux9196
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Kool,

Sounds like it's your time of the month there buddy. Take a deep breath and relax.

kool98769
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Kool,

Sounds like it's your time of the month there buddy. Take a deep breath and relax.
LOL.

It just bugs me when people think they know things that they dont.
Overdrives werent meant to add tons of distortion to a solid state amp. they were meant to OVERDRIVE (ironic, right?) tube amps.

Phew. I didnt know it was that hard to understand. apparently it is.

and stu, the MG manual probably says the amp has CRUSHING DISTORTION. Doesn't mean it's true.
Tubescreamers were meant to emulate tube breakup too. Does mean that people use them on solid state amps to do that though ;)

Mushroom123
07-03-2008, 06:25 AM
okay they werent ment for ss amps but still can work well and sound good.

I use a sd-1 with a fender eighty-five and you'd think it sounds like **** but it can actually get you some good sounds.

yea its better with a tube amp but it can still work good with a ss.