Most Underrated and Overrated Guitarists?

PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated and Overrated Guitarists?

snazzyness
06-27-2008, 08:42 AM
???

MaXiMuse
06-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Overrated: The Edge, he only knows how to use his delay well.

Regression
06-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Overrated: The Edge, he only knows how to use his delay well.

Agreed. Also Lee Gaze from Lostprophets is a great guitarist, but doesn't feel the need to put a solo in every song.

Edit: I thought you said underrated. :mad:

reservedforchoi
06-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Underrated: Kris Norris of Darkest Hour; listen to the album Deliver Us!

Overrated: Kurt Cobain.

sashki
06-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Underrated: Malcolm Young. Although he's in a very famous band, he's often ignored, and overshadowed by his lead-playing brother. Awesome rhythm guitarist, in my opinion, plus he used to play the solos.

Overrated: Billie Joe Armstrong. At the time American Idiot came out, he was worshipped like a guitar god. He only played, like, 3 notes. I'm not saying all music has to be complex, but it's certainly not enough to be praised to the extent that he was.

gibder
06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
underrated-->Vinnie Moore
overrated-->Kirk Hammet

maximus69er
06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Underrated: Roopa from children of bodom (rythm guitar) seriously, listen to his solo in "if you want peace prepare for war"

Underrated: Buckethead solo = cream

overrated: Slash - hes damn ****ing good, but i think people think too much of what he does and he ahs a reputaiton that he dosent really live up to too much

Andy_A
06-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Overrated: Kurt Cobain :(
Underrated: Emppu Vourinen from Nightwish! He has some amazing skill and is better than most metal-guitarists out there. But since he plays in a melodic-metal band and barely speaks english it's hard for people to know about him. But i recomend watching some youtube videos of him. The solo's on the song High Hopes is awesome

Regression
06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Overrated: Kurt Cobain :(
Underrated: Emppu Vourinen from Nightwish! He has some amazing skill and is better than most metal-guitarists out there. But since he plays in a melodic-metal band and barely speaks english it's hard for people to know about him. But i recomend watching some youtube videos of him. The solo's on the song High Hopes is awesome

I sure hope you know High Hopes is a cover.

I agree he is a good guitarist, but not underrated. He does an okay solo, but compared to David Gilmours on the original, and Pulse version, it's nothing.

Cameronrobson
06-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Overrated: Slash, Buckethead, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Malmsteen, Kerry King, Kurt Cobaine, Angus Young

Underrated: East Bay Ray

Blitz93
06-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Overrated: Billie Joe Armstrong. At the time American Idiot came out, he was worshipped like a guitar god. He only played, like, 3 notes. I'm not saying all music has to be complex, but it's certainly not enough to be praised to the extent that he was.

+1

Underrated- Buckethead (i do realize hes becoming more popular as of lately but i still feel hes underrated for the amount of talent he has)

Overrated- Eddie Van Halen

Slaytanic1993
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Underrated - Rob Barrett. Rob never gets any credit as being one of the best guitarists in the early 90's New York Death Metal scene.

Underrated - J.L. Montans. If you know who he is, then I'll be surprised.

Overrated - Kurt Cobain. Hendrix. Vai. Hammett. Van Halen.

Andy_A
06-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Underrated - Rob Barrett. Rob never gets any credit as being one of the best guitarists in the early 90's New York Death Metal scene.

Underrated - J.L. Montans. If you know who he is, then I'll be surprised.

Overrated - Kurt Cobain. Hendrix. Vai. Hammett. Van Halen.

Shame on you! Hendrix :( Have you seen him play? and do you know what he has done to music? that dude makes slide's with he's elbow, he has the guitar on he's back and plays it just as good. He helped to use feedback to playing and is known to be one of the first or maby THE FIRST to get on with a Wah Wah - Pedal. Pluss he took blues music to a totaly diffrent place. And finally: He just kicks ASS! ^^ But everyone is entitled to their own opinion :peace:

Slaytanic1993
06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah, he may have been somewhat influential, but his playing licks balls.

And, he's sloppy as hell.

Time To Dance!
06-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Underrated: Euroboy(Turbonegro)
He's really ****ing good and he's a kickass guy to top it!

Andy_A
06-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I sure hope you know High Hopes is a cover.

I agree he is a good guitarist, but not underrated. He does an okay solo, but compared to David Gilmours on the original, and Pulse version, it's nothing.

I know it's a pink floyd cover song. And i relay like pink floyd's version to. But that solo was just an example. It's not by far the best Emppu has done, but it's a beautiful solo. And people that tend to rate a guitarist just because he makes a ****ty but extremely hard finger-tapping solo or something is kind of annoying. Amazing sounding solo's are allways better than amazing played solo's(this is where i agree with Kirk Hammett beeing overrated) :rolleyes: There is a Video on youtube called "The best of Emppu Vuorinen": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBCEXM9U8Z4

Watch and see how cool that little guy is ^^ plus he has the coolest ESP guitar EVER! :devil: PEACE!