2. Two's Blues
3. Answer Is Yes
4. Conceirto de Aranjuez
5. Rock Skippin'
6. Unfinished Business
7. You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To [Alternate Take]
8. Answer Is Yes [Alternate Take]
9. Rock Skippin' [Alternate Take]

Jim Hall is an often overlooked Jazz guitarist, one that deserves far more recognition than he receives. More than many other guitarists Hall can spin melodic lines that owe more to the fluid saxophone than the guitar. His tone is very bassy and warm and his lines dance around the melody with hypnotizing grace, never settling in too heavily but at the same time never straying too far from the song.

The lineup for Concierto is a collection of legends: Paul Desmond on saxophone (he's the writer of Take Five, the hit Dave Brubeck song), Chet Baker on trumpet, Ron Carter on bass, Roland Hanna on keys and Stevie Gadd on drums. This all star sextet makes slips and slides their way through several popular standards and Miles Davis's masterpiece from Sketches of Spain - Concierto de Aranjuez. Every song has a very cool, mellow feel which suits all of the members playing styles very nicely. Throw this album on and I guarantee you'll be transported to a deserted beach in Mexico.

The first track, You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To is a standout for me. It starts out slowly and builds up steam quickly until at the end it is swinging so hard you may fall out of your chair. Hall's be-bop soloing is outstanding in particular. The monster of the album is Concierto de Aranjuez. At 18 minutes in length it's a study in the cool and relaxing aspects of great true jazz. Chet Baker is especially excellent on the track paying tribute to Miles while still playing the trumpet in his own wonderfully melodic style. Jim Hall also does a superb job adding guitar to a track you might not expect to be well suited for it. Ron Carter's bass lines are other worldly, he makes it sound like you're slipping and sliding down a hill, eventually regaining your footing. It's perfect for the song and influences the other performer's playing.

The other tracks are also excellent, many of you may enjoy Two's Blues, as it is a very well done mix of jazz and blues. I'll refrain on commenting on the other tracks though to leave some surprises for you and also so that I don't end up writing a book. I recommend picking up the SACD release which has superb sound quality. It's like being in a jazz club at 2:00 am.

This album is a modern jazz masterpiece, it belongs in everyone's album collection. It's a crime that this album doesn't get the recognition it clearly deserves, let's help change that and spread the word!

Jimmy94
06-28-2008, 01:17 PM
This is for july, since we haven't had a new Jazz AOTM for a month or so I went ahead and wrote one.

imgooley
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I know Jim Hall, what gear he uses (A Gibson GA50, btw), but I don't have any of his albums.

The only album featuring Jim Hall that I have is "The Bridge" with Sonny Rollins, and I look forward to this one.

Nice one Jimmy!

Jimmy94
06-28-2008, 03:23 PM
This is the Jim Hall album to get, I hope you enjoy it gooley :)

Andrewbiles
06-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Nicely done :cheers: Can't say I've ever heard of him before now. Will have to look around for some samples.

Neil200387
06-29-2008, 06:21 AM
This has got to be one of my favourite jazz albums of all time. Both Jim Hall and Paul Desmond have so much grace coupled with originality in their playing, and it just seems to work for them even more so on this recording than on their other collaborations. To take on the Concierto de Aranjuez and make a version that's so completely original yet more than stands up to Miles Davis' is an incredible achievement.

Having said that, I think Jim Hall's finest solo has got to be from the version of 'Alone Together', on the Paul Desmond album 'Take 10'.

noah22791
06-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Jim Hall's album with Bill Evans, "Undercurrent", is amazing. I recommend it to anyone interested in jazz

Jimmy94
06-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I'll have to check that one out, thanks noah

Zeppelin256
07-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Fantastic album.

Jim Hall & Ron Carter's Alone Together is a MUST get if you like Jim Hall.

Resiliance
07-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Anyone who likes Jim Hall should also pick up Power Of Three with Michel Petrucciani and Wayne Shorter.

VR2005
07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
All great albums, but I can't believe Jim Hall "Live" hasn't been mentioned. That album alone is a course on exactly how to play in a guitar trio, mmmmm. ;)

HoneyFUZZ_123
07-20-2008, 09:52 AM
looks great, ill have to check it out

Jimmy94
08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Fantastic album.

Jim Hall & Ron Carter's Alone Together is a MUST get if you like Jim Hall.

A friend spotted this for me at a record shop the other day, AWESOME album.

INDUSTRIALMETAL
08-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Great review for a stellar album. However I feel that the era of Jim Hall not getting his proper props has passed in my opinion, considering he is seen by even the mainstream press as an elder statesman who has a huge impact on jazz. Just look at this thread for example.

Jimmy94
08-15-2008, 02:08 PM
While it's true he gets more recognition now than in the past I don't often hear Jim Hall mentioned when I talk to people about their favorite jazz guitarists. I've lent this album to several people that had never heard it before and couldn't believe it had never come to their attention before. I probably wouldn't have heard of it if a friend hadn't lent it to me and told me that I HAD to listen to it and I'm an avid jazz listener.

Also keep in mind that people are more likely to post in this thread if they've heard of the album.

imgooley
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Gonna get this album as soon as I have some dough.

And I'm gonna write an AOTM for next month too.

Andrewbiles
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
^ Want to do it now?
This was June so a new one is certainly needed :cheers:

imgooley
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
^I'm a bit busy to do it noooooooow...

And I would have had the July one up, had I not been banned.

Whilst you are in here, sir, is it possible for you to handle my thread(s) that need to be stickied?

Andrewbiles
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
^ Sorry, yeah, done.

If anyone wants to write an AOTM please, feel free to do so.

Jimmy94
09-18-2008, 08:11 PM
I'll write another one if no one steps up... so if you want to write one hurry up and step up!

imgooley
09-18-2008, 08:16 PM
^Doit, jimbo.