Legal Question: Tortoise Shell Picks

PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question: Tortoise Shell Picks

UltraVai445
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Alright, here's my question. I know its illegal to poach Tortoises for their shells due to their position on the Endangered Species list, but is it illegal to possess Tortoise shell Picks that were made before they were classified as Endangered species? I'm just wondering because I am dying to find a Tortoise shell pick. A couple of my parents' friends who used to play the guitar told me that when they were younger they wouldn't use anything but Tortoise Shell picks because of the way they felt, the way they sounded, and the speed of them.

P.S. I'm begging you here. Please, don't give me any PETA bullsh!t. Don't get me wrong, I am against animal abuse, but animals do not have rights under the US Constitution. I hate PETA, from when it started until today, I have always hated PETA. So please, I'm begging you from the bottom of my heart, Do not tell me its unethical to use these kinds of picks or anything like that.

timi_hendrix
07-02-2008, 02:21 PM
What's wrong with People Eating Tasty Animals? :mad:

that joke is so old I'm tempted to buy a pipe and slippers

False_God
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
If your putting weed in the pipe.. I'll join ya :p:

Dudeman5000
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Just but some Tortex ones!

selkies
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
no it would not be illegal as long as you can prove that it was made before they were on the list

Vampire 255
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM

this

Blast For Satan
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I very much doubt it'd be illegal to own a pick like that, specially if it's made before it became illegal.

If I ever came across one in the shape of a Jazz III I'd get one, just to see how they felt and played.. And anyways, the police/fbi wouldn't kick your door down in a raid because you own a tortoise shell plectrum nor try and throw you behind bars.

I say go get one, see how they play and feel.

dannyisokay
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
if you don't care about the tortoises, why the hell does it matter?

the cops aren't gonna come kicking down your door because you possess a tortoise-shell pick... how would they even know?

meganh37
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, just buy some Dunlop Tortex picks. I mean come on, they even have a picture of a tortoise on the damn things.

IbanezPsycho
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
:liplick: mmmmmm Tortoise......

UltraVai445
07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
What's wrong with People Eating Tasty Animals? :mad:

Lmao, I've never heard that before. I like that.

UltraVai445
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Dude thats all I have lol. All they are are plastic picks with a picture of a tortoise! They do not provide the sound nor the quality that are provided by Real Tortoise Shell Picks.

UltraVai445
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM

the cops aren't gonna come kicking down your door because you possess a tortoise-shell pick... how would they even know?

Duh, I forgot. I dunno ever since I was a kid I was taught that if you do anything illegal or possess anything illegal, you would immediately be arrested. I guess subconsciously I still think that way.

timi_hendrix
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Dude thats all I have lol. All they are are plastic picks with a picture of a tortoise! They do not provide the sound nor the quality that are provided by Real Tortoise Shell Picks.

:haha

You don't even know what they're like. You've never used one.

Kid_Thorazine
07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
it's legal to posses stuff like that, it's illegal to buy, sell or export unless you can prove that it was produced before tortoise shell was banned.

UltraVai445
07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I know lmao. But my Mindset says they're better
:D

Kid_Thorazine
07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I know lmao. But my Mindset says they're better
:D

They really aren't noticeably better, I have a few and in terms of sound and playability they aren't that much different from normal plastic picks, and they break a whole lot easier.

TNfootballfan62
07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
timi: It never ends here....

Anyway, it's unethical. Don't hurt those poor defenseless animals. :D

CJRocker
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Let's sit back and look at things for a moment:

You own the pick
The turtle is already dead
The cops aren't conducting turtle shell guitar picks raids

Even if it wasn't legal to own them, who the hell cares at this point? Its a pick, not a shell or a turtle or one that was even made recently. And yes, it is legal.

Yngwi3
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
No, it wouldn't be illegal so long as you could prove that it was made before the bringing in of the law - it's exactly the same with ivory.

IbanezPsycho
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Whats next, Bald Eagle Picks made of there beaks lol

I can see it now some hillbilly pluckin a banjo out in the woods... What this here is my patriotic pick...

acdcrocks0323
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
^I don't know, but Eric Johnson has been known to use Bald Eagle picks from only the baldest of eagles. Only the best tone animals for EJ.

papersun87
07-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Because each tortoise shell pick that they confiscate, they put a microscopic tracker on it and release it back to the black market to find users.

If you track one down, I give it 24 hours before you're in a secret prison in Turkey.

shredhead22
07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
^I don't know, but Eric Johnson has been known to use Bald Eagle picks from only the baldest of eagles. Only the best tone animals for EJ.

seriously tho, anyone else think getting legal advice from UG (which ranges from many different countries with many different bylaws) is not the smartest of ideas

DarkPsychedelia
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey, I've never tried either tortoise shell, or the ones I'm about to suggest, but supposedly amber pickups feel and sound virtually the same. They're expensive as heck though... here you go: http://www.picksandstones.com/Amber.php

MrCarrot
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Do you really think possession of such an item is illegal? :haha The endangered species convention is to protect animals, not make everything from an animal in the past as illegal as cocaine.

False_God
07-02-2008, 06:30 PM

seriously tho, anyone getting legal advice from UG is not the smartest of ideas
Fixed :p:

timi_hendrix
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM

seriously tho, getting advice from UG is not the smartest of ideas

Re-fixed :p:

shredhead22
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM

seriously tho, if anyone else twists my words with a quote i'll have their head

re-re-fixed :p:

jweos1212
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
If you get caught with the shells all you have to do is say that you had it prior to the ban. It worked for me. I found some hawksbill in my grandfathers garage and am looking to make a few bucks. Does anyone know where I can unload this stuff?

StiltonCheese
01-16-2009, 11:45 AM
no it would not be illegal as long as you can prove that it was made before they were on the list

No, it wouldn't be illegal so long as you could prove that it was made before the bringing in of the law - it's exactly the same with ivory.

Nope, wrong.

Got the burden of proof inversed there I'm, afraid. :D

They're completely legal unless the state can prove that they were made after the ban. They'd also have to prove that the person in question actually poached the tortoise too.

The onus of proof is on the prosecution.

You're completely safe to buy them, if you can find them.

jweos1212
01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
You are a wise man sir! I have been down that road and walked away unscathed. I have some really nice shells and am looking to get rid of them. I hate for them to go to waste in my garage.

Nope, wrong.

Got the burden of proof inversed there I'm, afraid. LD

They're completely legal unless the state can prove that they were made after the ban. They'd also have to prove that the person in question actually poached the tortoise too.

The onus of proof is on the prosecution.

You're completely safe to buy them, if you can find them.